Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Soggy Chips posted:

So these chapter tactics seem rather good.
Only starting now, I'm guessing in previous editions successors get their founding chapters tactics.

What happened to DIYs/unknowns?
Mah Blood Ravens.....
Yes, successor chapters typically go with the chapter tactics of their original founding chapter. There are exceptions to that like the Black Templars who use their own rather than the Imperial Fists'. That's not common though and there's no way to create your own tactics for a homebrew chapter. At least not since 4th edition. Not trying to muddy the waters, but Forge World used to have a bunch of other chapter tactics for their custom guys. These included the Minotaurs, Space Sharks, Red Scorpions, etc. Those probably won't be revisited for a long time.

If you're playing Blood Ravens you can probably pick any tactics you like. They're typically pretty forgiving about successors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
^^^ Ah yes forgot about BT's being their own thing

TwingeCrag posted:

"Why does my plasma gun keep overheating when I try to shoot this 10 foot tall black-clad birdman monster send help"

:psyboom:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

muggins posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet but loving lol

gently caress this trash.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's by far the worst part.

I'd say it's the dumb names for everything

muggins posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet but loving lol

So it begins

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Everyone always uses "lol plasma guns" as the reason why static penalties to hit suck but also maybe thats why they added a no-overheat mode to plasma guns this edition. It's a silly abstraction that its more dangerous to overload your guns at night or when shooting an airplane but the game is made of abstractions so that one isn't exactly the worst IMMERSION breaking rule in the game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Soggy Chips posted:

So these chapter tactics seem rather good.
Only starting now, I'm guessing in previous editions successors get their founding chapters tactics.

What happened to DIYs/unknowns?
Mah Blood Ravens.....

There's a Forgeworld Gabriel Angelos coming out, I imagine they'll do Blood Ravens chapter tactics with him.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Everyone always uses "lol plasma guns" as the reason why static penalties to hit suck but also maybe thats why they added a no-overheat mode to plasma guns this edition. It's a silly abstraction that its more dangerous to overload your guns at night or when shooting an airplane but the game is made of abstractions so that one isn't exactly the worst IMMERSION breaking rule in the game.

I'd rule that it's a gets hot on a natural roll of 1, I'm guessing that's the intent.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

This is pretty much one of my least-favorite changes to the rules. I wish they specified rolls of 1 before modifiers but they double-downed on it in the developers commentary. I understand why, because they want re-rolls to be able to mitigate it, but also at the same time that means any penalty to hit effects makes overcharged plasma way more likely to backfire.

Although, overcharging is 100% optional now (unless you're Kharn), so it's not the worst thing in the world.

edit: Aforementioned designer's commentary
https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Zuul the Cat posted:

Played a really fun game against JesusIsTehCool yesterday. We did 1850 points, his Tyranids (which are really gorgeous) and my combined force of Howling Griffons and AdMech. We used those new Open War cards, which ended up being a lot of fun and add some cool poo poo to the games.

Overall, great game. My favorite moment was dropping in my Inceptors behind his lines along with flipping my Ruse card the same turn - which was Tactical Reserves. It let me redeploy a destroyed unit from any table edge more than 9 inches from the enemy. Dropped my destroyed unit of Kataphron Destroyers with their Plasma Culverin's right behind his Tervigon and melted it.

I really enjoyed this game, I liked the cards so much I grabbed a set on my way out. I was really worried that my Nids were going to mop the floor with him, they have been stomping my friends and at 1850 I really didn't have a lot options on what to bring (all that was left in my case was another FHT and some more guants. But Zuul was pretty insistent that he wanted to play against my nids as he hasn't got to play against them since 5th I think he said. Between underestimating his shooting, that ruse card, and the special mission which didn't really give me any advantage for taking over the whole board (pretty used to controlling like 4 or 5 objectives turn 2) it was actually a fairly close game. He was able to kill most of my big bugs by turn two, the only thing I had left by the end of the game that I think could have reliably killed that lieutenant in close combat was the carnifex. We had this "twist card" that added 2" to everyone's move and 1" to every advance and charge, I was flying across the map it was kind of nuts and really helped me get up in his face turn one. I honestly think once Zuul gets a better feel for his army in 8th it could have been even closer and maybe even a lost for my Nids.

Also we both agreed that the rules where your plasma blows up on a roll of a 2 when you get -1 from the malanthrope feels really dumb and not sure why they FAQed it this way. Someone please tell me I am just functionally illiterate and read that FAQ ruling wrong.

Over all worth the short drive, would 100% slam again.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's a weird abstraction, but I see it as representing the model firing more shots to try and hit the thing, making an overheat more likely. It sucks, but I just won't overcharge unless I've got no modifiers. I'd rather it only be on an unmodified 1. Overheating is way more dangerous as-is.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SRM posted:

There's a Forgeworld Gabriel Angelos coming out, I imagine they'll do Blood Ravens chapter tactics with him.

I'd rule that it's a gets hot on a natural roll of 1, I'm guessing that's the intent.

It isn't, they specifically clarified that it's after all modifiers.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Tyranid players, what's the problem with Spinefists? Seems they'd be hilarious on Bonesword Warriors: 6 shots in melee every turn, and have bog-standard cheap warriors eat wounds as they travel up the board. All their options and combos seem so great: Deathspitters and Devourers both seem useful depending on what your dudes are meant to do, and Boneswords vs. Rending Claws is only a 2 point difference.

Maxed-out point-dump Warriors would all have Boneswords and Deathspitters, obviously, but I can't get over the desire to use some as close combat monsters with Spinefists.

Edit: Also, :black101: STAR SCORPIONS :black101:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Tyranid players, what's the problem with Spinefists? Seems they'd be hilarious on Bonesword Warriors: 6 shots in melee every turn, and have bog-standard cheap warriors eat wounds as they travel up the board. All their options and combos seem so great: Deathspitters and Devourers both seem useful depending on what your dudes are meant to do, and Boneswords vs. Rending Claws is only a 2 point difference.

Maxed-out point-dump Warriors would all have Boneswords and Deathspitters, obviously, but I can't get over the desire to use some as close combat monsters with Spinefists.
6 shots? How? It's not two spinefists, it's only one despite what the model may look like. You also can't fire them and a model's flesh hooks since you either fire all of a model's normal weapons OR all of their pistols. Can't do both and flesh hooks are assault.

Spinefists are trash.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Safety Factor posted:

It's a weird abstraction, but I see it as representing the model firing more shots to try and hit the thing, making an overheat more likely. It sucks, but I just won't overcharge unless I've got no modifiers. I'd rather it only be on an unmodified 1. Overheating is way more dangerous as-is.

My dumb, greedy rear end always wants to overcharge so that I can kill those sweet biglies in one shot each, wounding on a 2+. :black101:

I should probably clarify that I love the optional overcharge more than I hate how penalties effect it, because it is still a choice, and it adds an enormous amount of strength to an already good weapon at the risk of it being actually dangerous.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
At least when I field my Imperial Fists my opponent will thank me for not playing Raven Guard...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WhiteWolf123 posted:

At least when I field my Imperial Fists my opponent will thank me for not playing Raven Guard...

We haven't seen the Fists tactics yet so don't be so hasty.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Yes, successor chapters typically go with the chapter tactics of their original founding chapter. There are exceptions to that like the Black Templars who use their own rather than the Imperial Fists'. That's not common though and there's no way to create your own tactics for a homebrew chapter. At least not since 4th edition. Not trying to muddy the waters, but Forge World used to have a bunch of other chapter tactics for their custom guys. These included the Minotaurs, Space Sharks, Red Scorpions, etc. Those probably won't be revisited for a long time.

If you're playing Blood Ravens you can probably pick any tactics you like. They're typically pretty forgiving about successors.

I've decided to paint up the 2nd half of my Dark Imperium Primaris stuff as Ultramarines for this reason. If I ever decide to run my Howling Griffons in a tournament, I want to be able to give them the Ultramarines specific buffs. I need to pick up Guilliman.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TwingeCrag posted:

My dumb, greedy rear end always wants to overcharge so that I can kill those sweet biglies in one shot each, wounding on a 2+. :black101:

I should probably clarify that I love the optional overcharge more than I hate how penalties effect it, because it is still a choice, and it adds an enormous amount of strength to an already good weapon at the risk of it being actually dangerous.
I'm basically building my tactical squads to go bigly hunting with combi-plasma, plasma gun, and plasma cannon. I'm an old-school Dark Angels player and plasma's in my blood*. :pcgaming:

I'm pretty sure the land speeder vengeance is still trash though.

*:haw:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've decided to paint up the 2nd half of my Dark Imperium Primaris stuff as Ultramarines for this reason. If I ever decide to run my Howling Griffons in a tournament, I want to be able to give them the Ultramarines specific buffs. I need to pick up Guilliman.

You can just paint them all as Griffons and say they are ultras - there's never been any actual color-scheme requirements for stuff like that. Paint RG up as a Griffon too, whatever. My Raven Guard are certainly not gonna be all-black, though they will have Raven insignias.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Anyone know of any cool and good podcasts beyond the ones I already listen to?

My list:
  • 40k Badcast :byodame::sparkles:#40kfucboi4lyfe
  • Independent Characters
  • Life After the Cover Save
  • Can hammer
  • Preferred Enemies

Anything else worth listening to beyond these?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can just paint them all as Griffons and say they are ultras - there's never been any actual color-scheme requirements for stuff like that. Paint RG up as a Griffon too, whatever. My Raven Guard are certainly not gonna be all-black, though they will have Raven insignias.

I was thinking of doing this too, but I don't want to paint up Big Bobby G as a Griffon.

I would also like to stop painting red and yellow now, please. :suicide: I might still do them all as Howling Griffons. We'll see.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Anyone know of any cool and good podcasts beyond the ones I already listen to?

My list:
  • 40k Badcast :byodame::sparkles:#40kfucboi4lyfe
  • Independent Characters
  • Life After the Cover Save
  • Can hammer
  • Preferred Enemies

Anything else worth listening to beyond these?

Eye of Horus is excellent, but is 30k specific

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

We haven't seen the Fists tactics yet so don't be so hasty.

I hope the Fists rules are anywhere near as good as the Ultra/Raven rules.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Have we definitively learned what you have to do to qualify for Chapter Tactics yet? I had thought I read that it was detachment based and not full army based, but now I can't find that anywhere.

\/\/\/ The article says Reivers are "almost as fast as jump pack troops" thanks to grappleguns and grav-chutes, but doesn't say what those do, exactly.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 17, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Grav chutes confirmed?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Have we definitively learned what you have to do to qualify for Chapter Tactics yet? I had thought I read that it was detachment based and not full army based, but now I can't find that anywhere.

I think the unit has to have the <CHAPTER> keyword... not sure if there's any other qualifiers. Someone on Dakka said that they apply to Infantry/Dreadnoughts though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

Grav chutes confirmed?

I really hope these come with helmeted options.

If you guys are looking for chapter specific doors, this dude makes some. Specifically for me and a few others, he just added Howling Griffons doors for Rhinos.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 17, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zuul the Cat posted:

I really hope these come with helmeted options.

The helmetless aesthetic is so confusing. Cover your dome ding-dongs!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I think the unit has to have the <CHAPTER> keyword... not sure if there's any other qualifiers. Someone on Dakka said that they apply to Infantry/Dreadnoughts though, so I'm not 100% sure.

The army has to be battle-forged and presumably the tactics will only apply to <CHAPTER> units.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LingcodKilla posted:

The helmetless aesthetic is so confusing. Cover your dome ding-dongs!

The rule of cool. It looks bad rear end, no matter how untactical it may be.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Safety Factor posted:

6 shots? How? It's not two spinefists, it's only one despite what the model may look like. You also can't fire them and a model's flesh hooks since you either fire all of a model's normal weapons OR all of their pistols. Can't do both and flesh hooks are assault.

Spinefists are trash.

poo poo, Devourers it is. That's a shame since if you modeled a Space Marine with 2 pistols, he'd get to shoot both. Flesh hooks aren't really that impressive to me, but saving 1 point to lose 1S on shots is silly.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Same. Would be strange to design a helmet for the fuckers and only include it in the beginners kit though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
re plasmaguns vs raven guard:

Plasma only overheats on a roll of 1, not 1 or less. I'm pretty sure rolls can be modified down to 0, since I know there's a nurgle power that adds 1 to wound rolls then triggers an effect on a roll of 7+.

But this does mean rerolling 1s won't help you anymore because rerolls are before modifiers. You would reroll a natural 1 (which is actually a 0) but if you rolled a 2 you wouldn't reroll it, then it becomes a 1 and you overheat.

Looking at the rules though, I see that natural 1s always fail to hit, but I don't see anything that says natural 6s always hit. So if your BS is reduced to 6+ (Like maybe a BS 5+ model running with an assault weapon), and you're shooting at a raven guard outside of 12 inches, I don't think you can possibly hit since your 6s would become 5s.

Edit: Huh, did anyone else notice this?

quote:

in some games you’ll want to deploy lots of your army with Strike from the Shadows, while in others it may be beneficial to hold some points back for a crucial re-roll, or another Stratagem like a flyer-busting flakk missile.

So anti-flyer stratagems are a thing then, nice.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 17, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

re plasmaguns vs raven guard:

Plasma only overheats on a roll of 1, not 1 or less. I'm pretty sure rolls can be modified down to 0, since I know there's a nurgle power that adds 1 to wound rolls then triggers an effect on a roll of 7+.

But this does mean rerolling 1s won't help you anymore because rerolls are before modifiers. You would reroll a natural 1 (which is actually a 0) but if you rolled a 2 you wouldn't reroll it, then it becomes a 1 and you overheat.

Looking at the rules though, I see that natural 1s always fail to hit, but I don't see anything that says natural 6s always hit. So if your BS is reduced to 6+ (Like maybe a BS 5+ model running with an assault weapon), and you're shooting at a raven guard outside of 12 inches, I don't think you can possibly hit since your 6s would become 5s.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Fair enough then. So they can be modified above 6, but not below 1. That's pretty brutal.

Chapter Masters can mitigate that somewhat because they'll let you reroll all misses, but you're still gambling you won't roll a 1 or a 2 again.

My raven guard friend is pretty excited about all this, since he plays an assault heavy army with jump infantry, and an ironclad in a storm raven.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 17, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The Raven Guard rules seem pretty cool so far. I'm pretty excited about seeing what the other chapters get now.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Wait a second. Won't the Hard to Hit rule on flyers and this new Raven Guard tactic stack? Man, talk about Stormraven supremacy...

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

Wait a second. Won't the Hard to Hit rule on flyers and this new Raven Guard tactic stack? Man, talk about Stormraven supremacy...

They said before that chapter tactics only work for infantry, bikes, and dreads.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Raven Guard rules seem pretty cool so far. I'm pretty excited about seeing what the other chapters get now.

I know right? I'm super optimistic about this now, they're giving chapters cool flavorful rules. Lets see if they stick with that with non-imperium stuff.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
The reroll thing continues being unintuitive and causing problems. the way it is may be initially simpler and need fewer sentences but is super short sighted.

They reaaaaally could have just fixed that by making all 'reroll 1s' only trigger on natural ones. Its not like they were redoing the entire game or anything and could have put it on all the data sheets...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ijyt posted:

I think 6th started this trend of marketable terrain and I hate it.

Yeah the 'marketable terrain' was extremely onerous in 7th. We can't just have basic rules for grasslands and trees and acid pools now. Nope. Gotta have Ferromagnetic Dynamos™ and Imperial Waste Containers™ and each have really stupid janky specific rules to try to encourage people to buy them. Its so loving stupid.

I just want to put down some buildings and trees and slam hams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Corrode posted:

The army has to be battle-forged and presumably the tactics will only apply to <CHAPTER> units.

If its like that then there's zero reason not to take it, and we'll see lists like "raven guard + inquisitors + blood angels" or some stupid poo poo like that.

Makes sense to me that the entire army list would have to have <CHAPTER> to qualify. And doing so would help balance how unfair it is that every Imperial is buddy-buddy but Xenos are on their own. We'll see I guess.