Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

And thanks to a massive effort to increase their profile as a tourist destination, Iceland is among the cheapest places on earth to fly to. Round-trip flights from the west coast go on sale for <$300 all the time, and those people live on the east coast, which routinely sees <$200 fares. I've also seen lots of promos where you can fly, say, from Seattle to Paris for $400 on IcelandAir with up to four days' layover in Reykjavik for free. They really, really want you to visit.

Of course once you're on the ground there, it's basically Tokyo pricing - $300+ for a hotel, $100pp for a simple restaurant meal, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All I know about Iceland is that they worship the guys that make the MMO space game. Like the mayor publicly thanks them and they have national holidays about it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

All I know about Iceland is that they worship the guys that make the MMO space game. Like the mayor publicly thanks them and they have national holidays about it.

To be fair that game shovels a lot of money into the country.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Iceland wants to be your friend :3:

A shame they stopped updating

quote:

August 29, 2014 at 6:01pm - Today I had an eruption. What did you do?

canis minor has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

It is to me. Color coded continents don't lie

Am I blind or is that another world map without new Zealand?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

Am I blind or is that another world map without new Zealand?

You've never played Risk have you?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It's up there beneath Kamchatka and beside Mongolia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bird in a Blender posted:

My wife and I eloped in Alaska. We just carried on our wedding clothes instead of checking them. We did not want to risk losing bags even though we had a direct flight.

I read that wrong, and pictured you boarding the plane in your wedding clothes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Some things like lime juice can induce severe uv sensitivity and result in really bad blistery sunburns, so it is possible.

The urge to sacrifice a little patch of skin on my leg to test this is very strong. Can I just spray a little lime juice on and go mow the lawn or what?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

bongwizzard posted:

The urge to sacrifice a little patch of skin on my leg to test this is very strong. Can I just spray a little lime juice on and go mow the lawn or what?

Lime juice will not only cause a strong burn, it will also leave that patch of skin discolored for years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Iceland has the population of a small town. The president of Iceland congratulating the creators of EVE is like the mayor of rear end Creek putting a ribbon on the prize cow of the county.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

You've never played Risk have you?

Oh poo poo duh.

I just know world maps without new Zealand is very much a thing

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

walrusman posted:

And thanks to a massive effort to increase their profile as a tourist destination, Iceland is among the cheapest places on earth to fly to. Round-trip flights from the west coast go on sale for <$300 all the time, and those people live on the east coast, which routinely sees <$200 fares. I've also seen lots of promos where you can fly, say, from Seattle to Paris for $400 on IcelandAir with up to four days' layover in Reykjavik for free. They really, really want you to visit.

Of course once you're on the ground there, it's basically Tokyo pricing - $300+ for a hotel, $100pp for a simple restaurant meal, etc.

I went to Reykjavik last year and didn't see this as far as pricing either way. A direct flight from Chicago was ~$700 and with a layover in NY it was ~$900. Pricing there wasn't that bad either. I paid under $200 per night for a hotel and we went to some really nice restaurants and ordered a bunch of food/drinks and it was right around $100pp and we were splurging.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

steinrokkan posted:

Iceland has the population of a small town. The president of Iceland congratulating the creators of EVE is like the mayor of rear end Creek putting a ribbon on the prize cow of the county.

I know one other thing about Iceland and it's that there's a website/app they use to make sure they aren't related to the person they are loving.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mu Zeta posted:

I know one other thing about Iceland and it's that there's a website/app they use to make sure they aren't related to the person they are loving.

They're almost certainly related to the person they're loving. The app is to make sure they're not first cousins.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/iceland-incest-app

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Lime juice will not only cause a strong burn, it will also leave that patch of skin discolored for years.

Man I am so loving curious about this. Like, I assume that plenty of times I have have gotten lime juice on myself outdoors (squirting lime in beers, spilling a good marg) so it is crazy to think it could be that bad, but Google is full of gross pictures of the results so idk.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Phanatic posted:

They're almost certainly related to the person they're loving. The app is to make sure they're not first cousins.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/iceland-incest-app
Yeah, everybody's related to everybody anyway, it's just a question of degree.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, everybody's related to everybody anyway, it's just a question of degree.

The thing in Iceland though is that first, there's a small gene pool to begin with. And second, last names are all patronymics so closely related people frequently have different last names. So the chances of picking someone up at a bar and it turning into a cousin-loving scenario are higher than pretty much anywhere else. I mean, white South Africans are a small gene pool as well, but it's much easier to figure out who you're related to there.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The thing in Iceland though is that first, there's a small gene pool to begin with. And second, last names are all patronymics so closely related people frequently have different last names. So the chances of picking someone up at a bar and it turning into a cousin-loving scenario are higher than pretty much anywhere else. I mean, white South Africans are a small gene pool as well, but it's much easier to figure out who you're related to there.

Pretty easy to find a partner you're definitely not related to if you're a white south african.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Phanatic posted:

There's an app for that!

Gotta be a super good way to see if the person you're chatting up is into you or not be like "so you wanna see if we're cousins?" and if they're like hell yeah you're in.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/bilalfarooqui/status/887025375754166272

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827284

Airport thread up.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tom Tucker posted:

There's an app for that!

Gotta be a super good way to see if the person you're chatting up is into you or not be like "so you wanna see if we're cousins?" and if they're like hell yeah you're in.

They posted about this a few posts before yours

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The discussion of Iceland and Greenland reminds me of the Ben Stiller movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", where he ends up in Greenland on a photo-based scavenger hunt trying to track down a photographer. He recognises the thumb of one of the guys at a bar and his response is great:

"There are 8 people in Greenland. It's a good place to find a thumb... By the way, the reason I drink? Word of advice: Do not cheat on your wife in a country with 8 people in it..." :3:

I liked that movie.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

BioEnchanted posted:

The discussion of Iceland and Greenland reminds me of the Ben Stiller movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", where he ends up in Greenland on a photo-based scavenger hunt trying to track down a photographer. He recognises the thumb of one of the guys at a bar and his response is great:

"There are 8 people in Greenland. It's a good place to find a thumb... By the way, the reason I drink? Word of advice: Do not cheat on your wife in a country with 8 people in it..." :3:

I liked that movie.

Me too but it would have been way better if it wasn't a 2 hour celebrity ad for match.com

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Byzantine posted:

...is Iceland not considered part of Europe?

Only half of it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/beccawinning/st...ners-claim.html

Chipotle, the fast-casual restaurant chain, has had a rough go of it for the past few years, from the E. coli outbreak in November of 2015 to customers experiencing norovirus-like symptoms at one of the Virginia locations earlier this week.

Now, it’s raining rats in their downtown Dallas location restaurant, according to a patron.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/07/20/rats-fall-from-ceiling-at-dallas-chipotle-diners-claim.html

Nasty.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lime Tonics posted:

Chipotle, the fast-casual restaurant chain, has had a rough go of it for the past few years, from the E. coli outbreak in November of 2015 to customers experiencing norovirus-like symptoms at one of the Virginia locations earlier this week.

Now, it’s raining rats in their downtown Dallas location restaurant, according to a patron.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/07/20/rats-fall-from-ceiling-at-dallas-chipotle-diners-claim.html

Nasty.

But don't worry, investors -- they're getting a new website designed by RZA!

Bloomberg: Chipotle Taps Wu-Tang Clan for Marketing Buzz After Safety Scare. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-19/chipotle-taps-wu-tang-clan-for-marketing-buzz-after-safety-scare

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Don't be stupid, it's not raining rats in a chipotle restaurant.

those are clearly mice

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

In fairness, the mice do appear to be trying to leave.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

Nasty.

Free pet with every meal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

But don't worry, investors -- they're getting a new website designed by RZA!

Bloomberg: Chipotle Taps Wu-Tang Clan for Marketing Buzz After Safety Scare. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-19/chipotle-taps-wu-tang-clan-for-marketing-buzz-after-safety-scare

Ecoli aint nothin to gently caress with.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Free pet with every meal.

It's just free food for your pet snakes. Very thoughtful of Chipotle.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Byzantine posted:

...is Iceland not considered part of Europe?

Some people have really dumb ideas about islands. It's common to see people denying that the Caribbean islands are in America, which I could sort of see, especially in countries that use a dual America continent model, but you even see people trying to say Britain isn't in Europe. I wonder if they'd extend this to inland seas, like would someone say Gotland isn't in Europe? Never seen anyone say Japan or Sri Lanka aren't in Asia, though, so there probs isn't any consistent system behind it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

but you even see people trying to say Britain isn't in Europe.

Pretty sure this is part of the Conservative Party platform.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

In fairness, the mice do appear to be trying to leave.

They don't wanna get sick.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

We apparently live in a world where not only is geography forgotten, only rich people can afford to go on a vacation. Ever.

Lol if you can even afford rent uncle pennybags

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

They don't wanna get sick.

They look awfully sluggish to me. Maybe already poisoned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Some people have really dumb ideas about islands. It's common to see people denying that the Caribbean islands are in America, which I could sort of see, especially in countries that use a dual America continent model, but you even see people trying to say Britain isn't in Europe. I wonder if they'd extend this to inland seas, like would someone say Gotland isn't in Europe? Never seen anyone say Japan or Sri Lanka aren't in Asia, though, so there probs isn't any consistent system behind it.

I'm reminded somehow of an observation I've made that most Australians pretty much act like we're twenty miles off the coast of England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any country that competes in Eurovision is Europe