Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

Turdfuzz posted:

why the weird laura door ghost

I'm starting to think since it appeared over Albert, it means he's going to die soon :(

Plus they just showed him happy on a date with forensics girl.

Maybe his death will break forensics girl's heart so much that she'll take his place to help finish what he started...

Or maybe it's the ambien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It kind of annoys me that Janey-E was too busy horning out over Dougie to talk about what the hell was going on at the doctor visit or after. There were like four episodes leading up to that and then it flew right past Janey-E because of Kyle's hot old man bod. Categorize it as missing the point if you want, it bothers me when characters peg something as really important in their own minds and then when the time comes it just sails right over their head because they're distracted.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

To be fair, Laura was very much a pillar of that community that everyone knew. No one else in town really gave a poo poo when that agoraphobic guy died, or that Renault brother Leo killed that I forget the name of.

I think that's kind of a literalistic response to a thematic point.

The original show was very much about the far-reaching impact that one death (and one act of killing) can have, even if there were some other deaths that were less consequential. That was the premise that set this whole thing in motion. Laura's musical theme hung over the show like a pall over the town, as everyone's grief played out.

By comparison, there's been a stupendous body count in this new season- a decapitation, a monster attack, an office full of women being stabbed, a kid getting run over, umpteen shootings, more poo poo I'm probably forgetting- and the world keeps on turning. And many (most?) were complete innocents. Some of these deaths have been investigated, but very few have been grieved. Even if there's canon explanations for why some deaths have more of an impact than others, there's an undeniable difference in the message and worldview that come across.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think that's kind of a literalistic response to a thematic point.

The original show was very much about the far-reaching impact that one death (and one act of killing) can have, even if there were some other deaths that were less consequential. That was the premise that set this whole thing in motion. Laura's musical theme hung over the show like a pall over the town, as everyone's grief played out.

By comparison, there's been a stupendous body count in this new season- a decapitation, a monster attack, an office full of women being stabbed, a kid getting run over, umpteen shootings, more poo poo I'm probably forgetting- and the world keeps on turning. And many (most?) were complete innocents. Some of these deaths have been investigated, but very few have been grieved. Even if there's canon explanations for why some deaths have more of an impact than others, there's an undeniable difference in the message and worldview that come across.

I personally think it's a comment on the way the size of the world has grown so much in people's consciousness. When the original TP came out we had no internet and any sort of "global community" was strictly conceptual and not something American life concerned itself with. The original TP was also very insular in the way that it NEVER really left Twin Peaks except perhaps in dreams/interdimensional gateways. And of course this season goes where-ever the hell it needs to go, and you even have moments where Albert/Cole have to practically remind people how much is specifically going on in and around South Dakota, given that it's not like we're given very many reminders or cues to which scenes take place were unless you have been paying attention all along. Not a show for lazy viewers but that kinda goes without saying.

Also, on a random note I had my first Twin Peaks dream last night, and it involved.... The Fusco trio, What is wrong with my unconsciousness? In my dream they were on the original run too (I had just forgotten) and back when it first aired they all looked like John Belushi from the Blues Brothers. I am going to GUESS this was because of the less talented Belushi's appearance in this episode, since I'm not exactly a HUGE Belushi fan and haven't seen the Blues Brothers in like 20 years.

I do remember thinking "Wow, Lynch is so clever bringing all the Fuscos back :downs:" in my dream

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Episode 18: Having been found out by Lucy's sleuthing, Richard Horne makes a desperate bid to escape the police by running into Nadine's drape store and taking her hostage, briefly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just want to say that run silent run drapes is the funniest loving joke in this entire series

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ginette Reno posted:

It is gonna be nice watching Lucy take down Chad with the letter thing

Chad will try to threaten Lucy and Andy will gently caress him up real good

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
pretty disappointed in diane

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Manhattan episode literally had the (presumably) White Lodge vomiting the spirit-entity of Laura to Earth, and people are saying Gordon seeing her ghost is inexplicable and doesn't fit with the main plot line? Are we even watching the same show here?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those two scenes have visibly nothing in common except for "features Laura Palmer" so... yes?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
My girlfriend doesn't think Diane is working with Bad Coop, she thinks the texts she's getting/sending are being relayed to Phillip Jeffries, or whoever's pretending to be him to get Bad Cooper back in the lodge. I'm not really sold on that yet, I think she's just working with Bad Coop.

Also, maybe something will happen next week. I knew before the episode even started that there was no way they were going to Jack Rabbit's Place already, but I wasn't expecting a 40 minute episode with a 5 minute auto-tune performance at the end. First time I've had a "Oh come on" reaction when the credits came up.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 17, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tirranek posted:

Episode 18: Having been found out by Lucy's sleuthing, Richard Horne makes a desperate bid to escape the police by running into Nadine's drape store and taking her hostage, briefly.

now there's a beating to set to an Au Revoir Simone song

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I forget which commentary or essay I first heard this in, but Ep 10 reminded me of something I really appreciate Lynch for:

He does disturbing violence in broad daylight a lot, and it's so much worse. We expect violent things to happen at night in the shadows, so scenes like Richard assaulting/killing Miriam or choking grandma in front of a crying disabled man happening at like 2 in the afternoon are just all the more unnerving.

Lynch is just such a funny director for me because he has these charming quirks and idiosyncrasies and these flights of absurdist artistry, and he's also one of the very best at depicting truly disturbing horror. Ep 10 cut effortlessly between Richard and Steven Burnett being terrifyingly cruel to women right to slapstick with a ditzy Vegas showgirl and Dougie gettin' TWO rides with the funniest smile on his face. Lynch has an incredible amount of artistic control to keep those plates spinning at the same time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was hoping Dougie would scream when cumming like when he peed that first time

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've gone from, "Danzig met Diane → ??? → Diane has PTSD," --

-- to, "Danzig meets Diane → [Psychic Knowledge] → Diane is coerced"

What I believe I misread as trauma, I now believe to be tremendous stress and self-loathing.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

And More posted:

Also:

The arm is reaching for Deer Meadows?

12 points on the antlers. Glastonbury Grove!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

That episode was a lot of fun.

Although those Hawk and Log Lady phone conversation scenes are the hardest to watch. :(

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

mary had a little clam posted:

Ep 10 cut effortlessly between Richard and Steven Burnett being terrifyingly cruel to women right to slapstick with a ditzy Vegas showgirl and Dougie gettin' TWO rides with the funniest smile on his face. Lynch has an incredible amount of artistic control to keep those plates spinning at the same time.

I don't like the movie as a whole, but a great example of this is in Wild At Heart when Bobby Peru terrorizes Lula.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe Diane is working with Bad Coop to try and redeem him or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe Diane is playing the role Jeffries would have played if Bowie hadn't been too sick/dead.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I don't like the movie as a whole, but a great example of this is in Wild At Heart when Bobby Peru terrorizes Lula.

Truth. That's still one of the most uncomfortable scenes to watch in any movie, going from awful terror and sexual tension to laughing and actually being funny yet feeling bad about the whole experience afterwards and feeling like you need a shower. Lynch is a master at these, and he's done that quite a bit in this revival season.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Those two scenes have visibly nothing in common except for "features Laura Palmer" so... yes?

I really want a scene with a graffiti "Who is Laura Palmer" now

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

What up people who watched TP before GoT crew

I watched GoT first because I care more about TP fwiw.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rappaport posted:

I really want a scene with a graffiti "Who is Laura Palmer" now

[spoken backwards] For 25 years you've been asking: who is Laura Palmer? This is Laura Palmer speaking. Meanwhile...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That autotuned "No Stars" song was just so loving hard to listen to. Her voice just turned into this sharp knife/instrument that was like fingers on a chalk board.

Why did they think that adding so much harsh autotune was a good idea? She turned into a human vocaloid, which is weird why it was so repellent for me because (guilty admission) I like vocaloid music.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Did anyone like the song? (I liked the song)

It sounded unnatural but it was a woman wearing the Black Lodge so that worked for me.

Best musical performance of the season is definitely Harry Dean Stanton.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I liked the song a lot and I don't think the autotuning sounds harsh at all.

And yeah the zig-zag dress and red curtain backdrop are just screaming "HEY IT LOOKS LIKE THE BLACK LODGE UP ON STAGE HERE!" You'd have to have never seen any Twin Peaks to miss that one.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I saw there was 5 minutes left and a song starting so I skipped ahead to confirm nothing happens and didn't listen to the song because why would I. I'm sorry david lynch but i'm going to skip songs. Please don't hide any weird poo poo in a song I don't like them and I'm going to skip them every time, even if you bring back The Nine Inch Nails.

I saw the zig zag shirt and red curtain though so if it turns out there was extra symbolism in the song I skipped please tell me. Thanks.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I thought it was fine and an intentional creative choice. Using autotune for an effect like that is worlds better than using to (poorly) mask someone's lack of vocal talent. Looking at you, Emma Watson.

E:

Krinkle posted:

I'm sorry david lynch but i'm going to skip songs. Please don't hide any weird poo poo in a song I don't like them and I'm going to skip them every time, even if you bring back The Nine Inch Nails.

Don't do this.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well if the song is written by David Lynch, it may provide some information. Or not.

The songs are not what they seem.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Sylvia needs to learn to have a real safe and a decoy safe and maybe she could keep more money in a big safe known as a Bank

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I didn't even notice any autotune :shobon:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

IMO Cole's drawing was just an old man spending his night having a nice glass of wine and doodling himself petting a deer because he wants to pet a cute deer someday

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Additionally, Jerry is going to stumble onto Glastonbury Grove out in the woods and fall into the lodge

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Si hay banda

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mover posted:

Additionally, Jerry is going to stumble onto Glastonbury Grove out in the woods and fall into the lodge

This is what I keep expecting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mover posted:

If this happens and Jerry somehow ends up being the key to connecting the Twin Peaks storyline to the Booper storyline I'm gonna poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:yeah:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

i listened to all of her albums the week after that episode. incredible.

Incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JdVrgJ5r2o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
I haven't given the lyrics a real careful listen, but it is about going "back to the place where it all began" so it certainly means something.