Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Tree Dude posted:

Greyscale is hyper contagious at least after a point, right?

Quarantine makes a lot of sense.

It is contagious as hell which is why it was a super dick move for Jorah to try and touch Sam. Not cool, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No that's the dragon binding horn and it was blown at the kingsmoot and the wall was just fine.

There are other horns and there's the legendary horn of winter which would allegedly bring down the wall even though the legend actually states that it will "wake the giants from the earth"or something like that.

Mance was looking for the horn of winter but Ygritte tells Jon he never found it. Some people suspect it's the hunting horn found stashed in the fist of the first men, now carried by Sam.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

InFlames235 posted:

It is contagious as hell which is why it was a super dick move for Jorah to try and touch Sam. Not cool, dude.

I think he might be acting in diminished capacity from being locked away in a quarantine solitary cell for however long it took for Gilly's slow-grow baby to escape infancy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

some guy on the bus posted:

But that's Arya's character now. She enjoys getting revenge and giving death. She really dragged out her kill of Meryn Trant. I don't see why she wouldn't have savored the Frey kills more.

It shouldn't be Sansa's character. That's a gently caress up on part of the writers. Arya and Sansa shouldn't be alike.

It's also Cersei's character. IDK, maybe there's an interesting parallel there, or maybe it's just them not knowing how to write a good vengeful woman character.

I don't want to bitch about it too much because it's still a fun show, so whatever.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd argue that the guy who raped his brother, seduced (or raped?) his other brothers wife which got her killed, killed his third brother. Later he chains said raped brother next to the woman who is pregnant from him at the prow of his ship after cutting her tongue out, is prettyyyyy dangerous given that he is also the king of one of the seven kingdoms.

The Iron Islands isn't one of the seven kingdoms, it's a little bastard territory. Is he king of some other kingdom in the books?

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 17, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No that's the dragon binding horn and it was blown at the kingsmoot and the wall was just fine.

There are other horns and there's the legendary horn of winter which would allegedly bring down the wall even though the legend actually states that it will "wake the giants from the earth"or something like that.

Mance was looking for the horn of winter but Ygritte tells Jon he never found it. Some people suspect it's the hunting horn found stashed in the fist of the first men, now carried by Sam.

I vaguely remembered this from reading the books years ago, and I've been wondering why the show hasn't mentioned it at all. It seemed like a pretty big deal. Maybe that's why some of them end up north of the wall again.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Nail Rat posted:

The Iron Islands isn't one of the seven kingdoms, it's a little bastard territory. Is he king of some other kingdom in the books?

Dorne
The Reach
The Westerlands
The North
The Vale
The Stormlands
The Iron Islands

The Riverlands is the non-kingdom

:goonsay:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I know linking to Buzzfeed is blasphemy but this article is actually pretty good:

https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeed/posts/10156403426460329

Talking through how someone paused the show at the right moment to read an area in Sam's book talking about the healing properties of Dragonglass when ingested. The way it connects to Shireen, who lived on Dragonstone and stopped the disease is pretty cool.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Splendid posted:

Dorne
The Reach
The Westerlands
The North
The Vale
The Stormlands
The Iron Islands

The Riverlands is the non-kingdom

:goonsay:

Technically at the time of Aegon's conquest it was "The Kingdom of the Rivers and Isles" as Harren the Black, King of the Iron Islands, conquered the riverlands and built his seat there. That's why historically there are 7 kingdoms even though the riverlands were an independent kingdom for thousands of years (though it was often contested).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I vaguely remembered this from reading the books years ago, and I've been wondering why the show hasn't mentioned it at all. It seemed like a pretty big deal. Maybe that's why some of them end up north of the wall again.

Gilly's turbo baby is going to find and blow the horn and the North will be consumed by the dead.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
nah, Sam will make a deal that if the wall falls he can get access to the secret books; at which point he'll grab the horn and destroy said wall

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
No boobs in this episode 2/10. There is a slight possibility I might have missed them because I multitask while watching but I don't think so.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

How about Dany landing in Dorne or the Reach, where her allies can support her army and she has a base of operations to start her conquest instead of that bleak island in throwing distance from King's Landing, where she runs the danger that Euron with his 1000 ships, manned by people who are known to be able seafarers, either completely annihilates her fleet or at least inflicts significant losses.

1000 ships that don't look to have large artillery on them vs 3 Dragons?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Euron is like Westeros' Jack Sparrow.

Also Arbor Gold reference, from http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/88071-lies-and-arbor-gold-well-look-what-we-found/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I bet Danny gets stuck on dragonstone after she makes out with Yara but Yara dies in boat battle with Euron

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wizgot posted:

No boobs in this episode 2/10. There is a slight possibility I might have missed them because I multitask while watching but I don't think so.

As far as I can tell the "brief nudity" content alert was for the autopsy maester's corpsey dingerling.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

InFlames235 posted:

He touched Dany like multiple times with his greyscale hand last year, didn't he? The show doesn't care.

I liked this episode, but it was pretty boring and had a lot of loving terrible dialogue in it. The Arya opening was fun, but in schlocky 'this is loving stupid' way. Jon continues to be Jon (which is a bad thing). I was really pleased with Sansa, she seems to finally be acting like a girl who learned the game during all that time in KL, and her admitting she admires/learned a lot (hopefully what not to do) from Cersei was a nice touch. Cersei and Jamie's Exposition Minute was bad. Euron coming by to court her was meh, but I expect his plan to work after that vision in I believe it was Damphair's Winds chapter showing a Cersei/Euron alliance. Hound scenes were good. Jim Broadbent appeared to make me finally invested in Sam. Dany landing on Dragonstone should have made me feel things, but mostly just made me realize I missed seeing the Dragonstone sets on the show.

I'm going to laugh if any more of these episodes feel as slow as the premiere did.

I hope Arya kills Ed Sheeran, he took me right out of the show and it was hard to get back into it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I feel like this show has given the audience learned helplessness with all the murder and torture to the point where any fun, good catharsis for a sympathetic character rings false and gets dismissed as hokey fan service for people watching the show wrong.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I remember an intro to logic class once showed me a class of arguments that could never be falsified but weren't useful information. Like if I sold you a car, and I told you this car flies, it's a flying car, no foolin', but it malfunctions on every day there are sunspots. You might want to wait for a day without sunspots to see it fly but unfortunately there are literally always thousands of sunspots burning constantly. There will never be a day without them until the sun burns out entirely. You can know it. You can know it's a bullshit argument and that one has nothing to do with the other but you'll never have your perfect day with no sunspots and a car that doesn't fly and get to say aha, I proved you are a goddamn liar.

Similarly, where in this book is there any gathering of characters where nobody is a liar? There are always lies. And sometimes there's wine. I'm not impressed by the correlation.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I didn't recognize Ed Shireen when watching it. I don't really follow pop music or celebrity news so to me he was just some guy in a scene. The scene seemed just fine to me. I thought it gave some good humanizing to the Lannister soldiers.

It was only seeing the internet complain afterwards that I realized it was a cameo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The various magic horns in the books are stupid. That they aren't in the show indicates that they won't work in the books, and I'm glad.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

InFlames235 posted:

I know linking to Buzzfeed is blasphemy but this article is actually pretty good:

https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeed/posts/10156403426460329

Talking through how someone paused the show at the right moment to read an area in Sam's book talking about the healing properties of Dragonglass when ingested. The way it connects to Shireen, who lived on Dragonstone and stopped the disease is pretty cool.

thats cool Jorah can get cured and all he gotta do is eat glass

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jorah's in the jail cell because in this land, the Stonemen are corralled and led to the north, where they are locked away, to await the end of the world.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
People complaining about Ed Sheeran is dumb.

Liked the episode a lot and even re watched it on the morning. Always liked the hound, but after gently caress the king moment, his scenes are even better.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I remember an intro to logic class once showed me a class of arguments that could never be falsified but weren't useful information. Like if I sold you a car, and I told you this car flies, it's a flying car, no foolin', but it malfunctions on every day there are sunspots. You might want to wait for a day without sunspots to see it fly but unfortunately there are literally always thousands of sunspots burning constantly. There will never be a day without them until the sun burns out entirely. You can know it. You can know it's a bullshit argument and that one has nothing to do with the other but you'll never have your perfect day with no sunspots and a car that doesn't fly and get to say aha, I proved you are a goddamn liar.

Similarly, where in this book is there any gathering of characters where nobody is a liar? There are always lies. And sometimes there's wine. I'm not impressed by the correlation.

I find it just a funny theory, I guess that is what happens when the time between release is 202....

Still nothinmg tops the mermen theory.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I also don't follow pop music and thought the scene was fine. I'm curious if she's gonna murk them or not!

MysteryGuest
Mar 7, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also Arya isn't going to kill Cersei. Jaime is.

Based on how the show has jettisoned Jaime's arc, I'm guessing it's gonna be Cersei killing Jaime at some point.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hey so why was dragonstone empty? Why was dragonstone a loving museum to targaryens? Why would stannis leave up ratty dragon banners over the last 18 years or whatever.

I literally do not understand how to interpret this scene other than this is a different dragonstone, that is different from stannis's seat, and that it's been left abandoned since the targarayens peaced out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It definitely seemed like a much bigger/grander place than it ever did when Stannis was there. Like only now does the show give a poo poo about it.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah seriously what kinda lovely music must you all listen to to have any clue who that person is?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Constant posted:

thats cool Jorah can get cured and all he gotta do is eat glass

Yes, but you see, it's magical glass!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Hey so why was dragonstone empty? Why was dragonstone a loving museum to targaryens? Why would stannis leave up ratty dragon banners over the last 18 years or whatever.

I literally do not understand how to interpret this scene other than this is a different dragonstone, that is different from stannis's seat, and that it's been left abandoned since the targarayens peaced out.

There are still pirates. Stannis left with all his men to take the red keep so I assume the few peasants left behind on the desolate rock would go over to the mainland instead of being raped and murdered by Ironborn

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

They were ratty Stannis banners

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Krinkle posted:

that was clearly a flaming heart banner and Dragonstone has like no strategic value because it's surrounded by lovely, rocky land and fishing villages, which is why Stannis was pissed that Robert gave it to him instead of Storms End

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Harton posted:

Yeah seriously what kinda lovely music must you all listen to to have any clue who that person is?

Someone earlier was like "He has a video with 2 billion views!" like that means that 2 billion people know who he is and not a smaller dedicated fan base watching his video over and over and over.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GaussianCopula posted:

Given that he also managed to get there before Dany reached Dragonstone, it's even more impressive, unless Vary's gave him his teleporting device.

Or she was in Dorne for an unstated amount of time preparing. It's not like she was wearing that dress last we saw her.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Someone earlier was like "He has a video with 2 billion views!" like that means that 2 billion people know who he is and not a smaller dedicated fan base watching his video over and over and over.

Yeah like YouTube views are an indicator of quality. Granted I don't listen to much modern music at all because of how awful and bad it is. Seriously though if you listen to pop music in general you should be asking yourself some questions. Same type of people that enjoy "sons of anarchy" I imagine.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's got two Grammys and toured with Taylor Swift, he's pretty huge these days. If you listen to top 40 or know any people in their teens or twenties he's hard to avoid. I have friends who listen to his crap all the time.

The scene was fine, his few lines were fine, but it was the kind of cameo that really takes me out of a scene. Especially in what is basically a period drama.

Not the end of the world, just lame.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I had no idea about the cameo until after. The scene was one of the better ones in the show IMO, full of tension regarding what the Lannister party intended to do and the nature of Arya's character. I guess if I followed tween music and cared what the tween music people look like it might have been distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
D&D can ruin my precious immersion with a Mac and Charlie cameo if they like, I'd dig it.

• Locked thread