Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
John Wolf is on the steps of a kindergarten. The sounds are the ghosts of children, but happy ghosts. I could swear there's a line from Wolf about it, but I didn't notice it when I was in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Turn your dialogue volume wayyyy up around filth infected humans

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Kisses

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Len posted:

Turn your dialogue volume wayyyy up around filth infected humans

Sometimes filthy humans actually say intelligible stuff and it's more unsettling than all the screeching in the world.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Sometimes filthy humans actually say intelligible stuff and it's more unsettling than all the screeching in the world.

The one that's like "I'm dreaming but I keep waking up, I KEEP WAKING UP" fucks me the hell out every time I hear it

Burnt Poffin posted:

John Wolf is on the steps of a kindergarten. The sounds are the ghosts of children, but happy ghosts. I could swear there's a line from Wolf about it, but I didn't notice it when I was in the area.

Oh. :unsmith:

Still might be the most sonically unpleasant thing in the world, but I'll take one more spooky thing that isn't plotting my death.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think this noise is coming from the kindergarten. That would be the children. And imo there is nothing particularly happy about it, thats just the sound zombie children make.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 17, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

dmboogie posted:

Man, this game might not really be "scary" in the way something like Alien Isolation is (having your character be literally, canonically immortal for all in-game intents and purposes doesn't allow much tension) but goddamn does it do a good just at being legitimately unnerving a lot of the time. Most of the enemy designs are genuinely unpleasant to look at, and even more unpleasant to listen to, jesus christ do I hate fighting the filth, or familiars, or zombies, or just generally hanging around areas with them because every minute I spend listening to those weird screeches is another minute closer to my ear holes finally getting sent to hell.

Like, real talk, what the hell is the source of that hosed up distorted babbling you can hear by Wolf in The Savage Coast? It seems to be something unique to the area, 'cause it doesn't sound like any of the enemies and I don't hear it anywhere else in the zone; but it just makes me. Not want to be there.

It sounds like a baby to me, and you're right outside the kindergarten so put those together and shiver.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Black House also has some auditory fun

And the filth buddies will shout profanity at you or talk about losing their car keys or fried chicken

It is good

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I like the Black House because it is 1. the one (1) thing on the island that isn't actively trying to murder people and 2. like the one thing on the island that actually has a legitimate, personal grudge against the people of Kingsmouth.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Capntastic posted:

Black House also has some auditory fun

And the filth buddies will shout profanity at you or talk about losing their car keys or fried chicken

It is good

But it does try to murder you. When you go in for the quest, doors will shut, smoke pours in, and I think one room has fire or poison or something.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

But it does try to murder you. When you go in for the quest, doors will shut, smoke pours in, and I think one room has fire or poison or something.

Self defence.

Castle doctrine applies.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

It tries to murder you, but that's after you're poking around in its guts. It even (harmlessly) throws you back if you try to go in the front door, that's downright restrained compared to literally anything else in the game. :v:

When they talk about stupid teens breaking into it overnight or whatever it's in the context of "yeah they couldn't last the entire night inside it", not "they got fukken murdered", too. You could attribute that to being before Solomon Island was 100% hosed (instead of like a background noise level of 40% or so) but that didn't stop the Wendigos or w/e from eating kids.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 17, 2017

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.
When I played TSW originally, I enjoyed the theory crafting aspect of it, and I liked the story well enough but wasn't super into it. When I got to the black house however that was the turning point for me that really just made me realize how much effort they put into the atmosphere of the game and started to enjoy the game exponentially more when I started paying attention to the smaller details, like the filthy enemies rambling like people mentioned.

The game definitely has a slew of problems, but one thing that I think I can confidently say TSW/SWL does better than any other MMO I have played (and places relatively high for video games overall) is the amount of detail they put in to really sell their setting and nail the atmosphere they were aiming for. Someone who posted above me (I'm on mobile and also lazy :colbert: ) described it perfectly. Not scary, but unnerving.

When the door closes on you in the black house I legitimately panicked (in TSW anyway) because I was under geared and actually felt like I was fighting for my life to get out of that room.

I also really liked the Freeborn missions, the graphics in this game aren't the best but I love how they manipulated the engine to achieve a surreal as hell environment in the last mission. I didn't really get to do any of the other issues the first time around so I'm hoping they're just as good as the Freeborn one.

Anyway I'll shut up now.

SkullMuffinz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 17, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I remember the creeping filth event having some good audio but I don't think I have the mp3 I recorded of it anymore. Just wait to hear it when the event goes live though because according to the road map that pubbies are pretending is gospel and will be followed in a timely manner it's going to happen in the next couple months with new story content by the end of the year.

I just reply to every post like that with Tokyo is early 2013 and they never say anything back.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dmboogie posted:

Man, this game might not really be "scary" in the way something like Alien Isolation is (having your character be literally, canonically immortal for all in-game intents and purposes doesn't allow much tension) but goddamn does it do a good just at being legitimately unnerving a lot of the time. Most of the enemy designs are genuinely unpleasant to look at, and even more unpleasant to listen to, jesus christ do I hate fighting the filth, or familiars, or zombies, or just generally hanging around areas with them because every minute I spend listening to those weird screeches is another minute closer to my ear holes finally getting sent to hell.

Like, real talk, what the hell is the source of that hosed up distorted babbling you can hear by Wolf in The Savage Coast? It seems to be something unique to the area, 'cause it doesn't sound like any of the enemies and I don't hear it anywhere else in the zone; but it just makes me. Not want to be there.

As much as I watch horror movies to the point I'll probably die of old age before nearing the end of any of my streaming watchlist queues, when it comes to horror games I'm extremely nitpicky. Too many just go the jumpscare route and call it good and I'm so done with that I'm at the stick a fork in my point. I really like that TSW/SWL is more about the setting being unnerving and creepy since that's right up my alley. I love tromping around the woods that are Country Dark level of black night and hearing something and wondering what the gently caress's coming at me that I can't see yet. I wish I'd started playing it sooner.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Personally I got legit creeped out when I first saw one of the Elder Things. It's the way it moves and the staring eyes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

Personally I got legit creeped out when I first saw one of the Elder Things. It's the way it moves and the staring eyes.

One of my first "OH poo poo!" moments was at the end of Polaris. I'd never done it before and was soloing it. I'm in the cutscene when not-Cthulhu the Ur-Draug pops up and thinking we'll just fly higher. Then drat if he doesn't look pissed with that expressionless noodle face and does a flying jump for me. I'm thinking after the crash I'm okay and just have to run up the coast a bit. Nooope. Have to fight not-Cthulhu who's so big he's outsized my screen. Que a lot of running behind rocks thinking ohshitohshitohshitohshit.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

dmboogie posted:

It tries to murder you, but that's after you're poking around in its guts. It even (harmlessly) throws you back if you try to go in the front door, that's downright restrained compared to literally anything else in the game. :v:

If you die in Savage Coast and just run around in the shadow-world, you'll see what knocked you back when you tried to enter from the front. :)

Heck, run around a lot of zones while dead. There's a bunch of critters hanging around, like the cats in front of Templar HQ.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Those cats shouldn't be there. The temps didn't win a contest yet. loving FUNCOM

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I hope this bug never gets fixed

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

dmboogie posted:

I don't hear it. Are you sure you hear something there?

Richard M Nixon posted:

I think it's a shadow raid by agents of drinkfist. Someone keeps faxing me beecock also. Related?

Not related. Also the cabal bank logs worked in TSW. Thats how the Illuminati guild found out some girl emptied the guild valult and bank to buy 3000 tacos to eat for an achievement.

Also. Shadow raid? I run an exclusive group of incompetent bumbling madmen. If it was me then you would wake up when we knock over all the china in an attempt to steal your couch for all the loose change that slipped in there over the years. You know. Fun Morons.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Capntastic posted:

I hope this bug never gets fixed

what the gently caress :wtc:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait is that Deathless transformation permanent?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

dmboogie posted:

Man, this game might not really be "scary" in the way something like Alien Isolation is (having your character be literally, canonically immortal for all in-game intents and purposes doesn't allow much tension) but goddamn does it do a good job at just at being legitimately unnerving a lot of the time. Most of the enemy designs are genuinely unpleasant to look at, and even more unpleasant to listen to, jesus christ do I hate fighting the filth, or familiars, or zombies, or just generally hanging around areas with them because every minute I spend listening to those weird screeches is another minute closer to my ear holes finally getting sent to hell.

Ahh. Do you mean the abandoned house beside Wolf? That's a good place

E: oops, there was another page

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tallgeese posted:

It's a bug with the character select screen where it shows whatever your character looked like at the time you last logged out. Basically, log out to character select, close the client and then log back in and the it'll show whatever you last looked like. If you were looking at stuff in the dressing room and didn't move your character before logging out the login screen will show whatever you were previewing, as well.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Is there a list of capstone outfits anywhere? I need hard confirmation of Fixer's non-existence.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Someone assemble a lore map addon tia

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

Someone basically did at the end of TSW.

For TSW.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

Someone basically did at the end of TSW.

For TSW.

Link it? It probably works for 90% of lores

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Len posted:

I've been using the standard maps others did for TSW for the lore and they're still good so I don't see why any map addon wouldn't work.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Amante posted:

Is there a list of capstone outfits anywhere? I need hard confirmation of Fixer's non-existence.

Yeah, I'd like this as well.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Empress Theonora posted:

One of them in Savage coast screams "WHERE ARE MY KEYS WHERE ARE MY KEYS"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeah I was doing the League of Monster Hunters quest and the Filthy Pool has an ex-cop filth infected asking you to tell her she's pretty. The Filth are the worst, worse than the clicky ghosts, just the worst.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

Link it? It probably works for 90% of lores

It was in beta, if i remember. And I can't remember the dang name.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

No, but as far as I can tell it's been two days and every time I've logged in that is what my character select screen shows

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, here for lore:

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?98459-Mod-LoreHound

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

What was the all-shotgun build recommended earlier? I'm having fun with shotguns again but they definitely feel like they eat up most if not all of the skillbar

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Amante posted:

Grifter looks like it's gone, too, and it was one of my favourites :(. They're listed in the achievements and you can see them in the last tab of the dressing room.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm not clear on why removing some of the deck outfits was in any way a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm not clear on why removing some of the deck outfits Rebooting this whole game was in any way a good idea

Because gently caress you.