Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you want me to worry about the job and the health of the business as much as the CEO does, you'd better be paying me CEO money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pryor on Fire posted:

The cyclists around here do this terribly annoying thing where they feel like they can cut the double line on windy two lane roads, why they think this is a good idea on blind turns is beyond me, gotta shave .2 seconds off the downhill I guess? Like five or six a year get merked doing this and clipping an oncoming car so you'd think they'd learn but nope.

Those 5 or 6 probably do learn, albeit for a very brief period.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

HR's job is to filter the ever-living gently caress out of candidates to "avoid wasting anyone's time." the HR people have absolutely nothing to gain from a successful hire, but they will be blamed if anything goes wrong with an individual candidate. so it's in their best interest to aggressively filter out anyone who asks for a nickel more than the salary band on the internal req. if that means there are no candidates remaining, that's ok, it's "a tight market"

Clearly we need more H1Bs! :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bhodi posted:

"The policy tracks with some of Nardini's other beliefs about work-life balance. In her Times interview, she said she valued work ethic to the extent it matters "more than most anything," and that young people new to their careers should get comfortable with discomfort.

"It's really great to feel uncomfortable," she said. "And you change so much as a person from that.""

lastjob's CEO was known to have said on more than occasion that he fervently believed every employee should feel like they could be fired at any moment and should fear for their jobs

he's a total rear end in a top hat and i hope he dies in penury

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i assume this is my infrastructure and security experience leaking but expecting a reply within a 3 hour window for a critical issue seems p reasonable. having the ceo text you just to see if you have the moxie is v dumb though.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Diva Cupcake posted:

i assume this is my infrastructure and security experience leaking but expecting a reply within a 3 hour window for a critical issue seems p reasonable. having the ceo text you just to see if you have the moxie is v dumb though.

If this is something that you want me to be concerned about as a part of my job then I'm fine with that as long as it's clearly laid out as a part of the requirements and I'm getting paid for it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ThePeavstenator posted:

If this is something that you want me to be concerned about as a part of my job then I'm fine with that as long as it's clearly laid out as a part of the requirements and I'm getting paid for it.

yeah this exactly. if you really need someone to be responsive on the weekend, you need to pay someone to be on-call.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
oh neat a video on my facebook feed popped up from barstool sports and it was a girl at the club peeing into an empty glass of water nice to know i will get texts over the weekend to make sure people can share such amazing content on facebook, twitter, and instagram

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Tatsujin posted:

empty glass of water
:raise:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah this exactly. if you really need someone to be responsive on the weekend, you need to pay someone to be on-call.

except for computer workers, in which case the on-call is unpaid because there's a giant fuckin exemption in labor law

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except for computer workers, in which case the on-call is unpaid because there's a giant fuckin exemption in labor law

if my employer started demanding unpaid on-call i'd start finding a different job immediately

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you don't get paid for being oncall even if you don't get paged

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

lol if you don't get paid for being oncall even if you don't get paged

trap sprung

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol if there's any urgency to your work at all

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if I'm being called after hours the company better be losing a million dollars an hour or more. and I expect to be recognized for it later.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if I'm being called after hours due to an outage I've failed in my job designing the system and so deserve to be called for it

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

At a company I used to work for we used this loving awful job scheduler called JAMS that would break at even the slightest breeze. I knew people who were being paged at 3am every single night for a whole week due to problems with JAMS, and the best part about it is there was absolutely nothing they would be able to do about it. They weren't even compensated for the oncall time rofl.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

At a company I used to work for we used this loving awful job scheduler called JAMS that would break at even the slightest breeze. I knew people who were being paged at 3am every single night for a whole week due to problems with JAMS, and the best part about it is there was absolutely nothing they would be able to do about it. They weren't even compensated for the oncall time rofl.

owned

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Thank you for your interest in joining our team here at COMPANY. We have reviewed your application and unfortunately are looking for a different skill set at this time. However, if a role opens up in the future that may be a better fit, we'd love to be in touch.

got this today. I accepted a job two months ago, and it was probably a couple of months before that that I applied there, which I only did because I confused them with another company. lol.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

did a pretty intense take home assignment tonight, create a web scraper, scrape some websites, put the data in a db i designed, write test drivers, create documentation, upload to git, all while trying to design the whole thing in an extendable way as allegedly they are going to ask me to extend it IRL in an interview. took longer than i thought it would.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MononcQc posted:

if you want me to worry about the job and the health of the business as much as the CEO does, you'd better be paying me CEO money

that's not the job of the ceo either (it's to raise shareholder value)

qhat posted:

did a pretty intense take home assignment tonight, create a web scraper, scrape some websites, put the data in a db i designed, write test drivers, create documentation, upload to git, all while trying to design the whole thing in an extendable way as allegedly they are going to ask me to extend it IRL in an interview. took longer than i thought it would.

this "take home assignment" is too thorough. i hope you GPL3'd it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

according to them it's supposed to take a maximum of 6 hours to do. i did it in just over 6 but goddamn my head was spinning afterwards. there's no way this kind of volume in such a short time leads to good solutions.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

that's not the job of the ceo either (it's to raise shareholder value)

AGPL to ensure no one anywhere ever uses it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

nope. this is waaaaaay too much effort for a take home assignment.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that's a real candidate for outsourcing pilot work to prospective hires if I've ever heard one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

qhat posted:

Yeah this is too much... Take home assignments are my favorite type of interview, but they should be little toy problems. If anyone did ICPC in college I think they should be like on of their medium difficulty problems: takes a couple of hours, more if you wanna get fancy with inputs/outputs, tests, etc

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The one we sometimes assign has you find the biggest "blob" of x's in a 2d array of x's and o's. Lots of different ways to solve it (BFS, DFS, scanning 2 lines at a time and keeping a running tally...), and you can tell a lot about their code quality from it. Plus you can throw tricky edge cases like enormous 2d arrays and see if their solution handles it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qhat posted:

yeah I hope you threw a license on this because it's way way way too thorough for a take home assignment. this screams someone was being lazy and outsourcing their interview framework

:redflag:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol at requiring almost a full day of work for a take home assignment. these guys don't respect your time

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Love for you to take a crack at the challenge. The time range to get it back to me ranges depending on skill level and amount of free time you have to do it. 7 days max but sooner is always amazing! Good luck!

Create a web app written in Node.JS using an Express based framework, SequelizeJS, and MySQL
Use Node.JS v0.10.46
Follow the ES5 JavaScript Style Guide located at: https://github.com/airbnb/javascript/tree/es5-depr...
Use NPM to declare all dependencies so that we can run it in a test environment.
The app should allow an admin to enter survey questions with multiple choice answers.
When a guest visits the app in a browser it should present a random survey question to the guest and allow them to answer.
Avoid showing a previously answered question to the same guest.
Record answers and display the survey results in an admin interface.
Secure the admin interface from guests.
Make sure the UI is mobile browser friendly.
Provide a clear README with instructions on how to setup and run the app.
Create a github.com repository with the app that we can pull from and test.
Provide a link to your application running on a publicly accessible server with any credentials needed to fully test it.

this prompted me to read more about the company and see how much I really wanted this. turns out the ceo is a massive narcissist who keeps getting accounts banned from wikipedia for editing his own wikipedia entry & he had a conference sexism scandal apparently & there have been comments on HN warning about this company

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Flat Daddy posted:

this prompted me to read more about the company and see how much I really wanted this. turns out the ceo is a massive narcissist who keeps getting accounts banned from wikipedia for editing his own wikipedia entry & he had a conference sexism scandal apparently & there have been comments on HN warning about this company

banzai bill dodged

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Writing a webscraper with tests seems like a fine homework problem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Writing a webscraper with tests seems like a fine homework problem

as always it depends on how complicated it needs to be

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
last time I did a long take home they never even called/emailed me back after the interview to tell me no

it was a good lesson

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bhodi posted:

if I'm being called after hours due to an outage I've failed in my job designing the system and so deserve to be called for it

lol if you think that not achieving 100% availability is necessarily a failure on your part

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

i'll do homework assignments if they seem pretty interesting / in technologies i've been meaning to try but never had a good reason to use. i was rejected once because "that isn't how you are supposed to do something like that in this framework" and welp, i didn't know. i even told him i hadn't used the framework before doing that assignment

one assignment involved building a fully-deployed web application that did all sorts of crazy poo poo and i just couldn't be assed to bother. they wanted to "disrupt the trucking industry" so i already had all the red flags i needed

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pretty much only did it because the role is fairly senior and the company looks like a good company otherwise. If it seemed like a huge corporate machine with questionable reviews on glassdoor, I most likely would've told them to shove their assessment back where it belongs.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ploft-shell crab posted:

last time I did a long take home they never even called/emailed me back after the interview to tell me no

it was a good lesson

IMO that's super unprofessional and sounds like an outlier. My opinion is that the second the company speaks to you on the phone to say they're interested, they should have the courtesy to tell you when they're not interested and in good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qhat posted:

IMO that's super unprofessional and sounds like an outlier. My opinion is that the second the company speaks to you on the phone to say they're interested, they should have the courtesy to tell you when they're not interested and in good time.

I got ghosted after an onsite once

• Locked thread