Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Kjoery posted:

maybe hes an undoomed fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVVWSXIR0k&t=145s
maybe this is international friend zone solidarity week

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

It's like a sex offender is crawling through my speakers. I want a restraining order against youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Why does Slenderman sound like a creepy Don LaFontaine?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm so glad that :females: became a smiley because it's literally all I hear when I read the word,

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I imagine all of those rants coming in an increasingly rapid and breathless monologue like how Patrick Bateman talks about Huey Lewis.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
IQ as a concept appears to have some validity once you get past the cultural issues, but it's a loving standardized scale. The test doesn't even measure consistently year to year. There are so many layers of wrong in interpreting it in this way, I don't know where to begin.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, I've dealt with a buddy who after years away I've found somehow became a Molyneux acolyte. Discussed IQ with him (shocker, he thinks its hyper-important, I think its scientific racist garbage) and he started with this IQ decreasing thing. Totally blown away when more than one person mentioned the Flynn Effect (i.e. the upward trend in the developed world) as something that was real and as uncontroversial as gravity. Don't know if anyone is going to reach him (he is programmed so he argues without any regard for the end results, which makes for interesting conclusions) but I have to think that lining his thinking up against the body of scientific research is something that might improve him.

"Intelligence Quotient are racist"

lol what evidence do you have to back this up?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On further reflection it's weird that none of those chuds ever figure out that most women probably figure out their deal immediately and are simply too polite or feel too much pity to just tell the guy how gross and uncomfortable she feels near him.

The number two reason the friend zone doesn't exist is that none of these women actually consider these people friends.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

It's well-documented. Use Google scholar. I know you can do this.

As an educator I spend a majority of my time preparing materials that are accessible to as many students as possible. I have done research on how to write questions without, say, phrasal verbs that might be meaningless to someone whose first language is not English (how do you explain "make sure" or "look up"?). I have spent time going over questions for content that would make no sense to someone who speaks a language lacking noun phrases. Ffs, some languages do not even have the "to be" verb, so those people often have unique difficulties understanding standardized questions that ask "What is".

I really wish people wouldn't talk about things they don't understand. The lack of empathy is astounding, as well.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
But then we'd never get such groundbreaking scholarly work as The Bell Curve! :shepspends:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Many systems intended to be objective often end up just assuming the culture and prejudices of the people primarily involved in their creation and development. Surprise, surprise, many many many systems made through the lens of white males miss the forest for the trees whilst trying to be 'objective' measures.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

failing forward posted:

As an educator I spend a majority of my time preparing materials that are accessible to as many students as possible. I have done research on how to write questions without, say, phrasal verbs that might be meaningless to someone whose first language is not English (how do you explain "make sure" or "look up"?). I have spent time going over questions for content that would make no sense to someone who speaks a language lacking noun phrases. Ffs, some languages do not even have the "to be" verb, so those people often have unique difficulties understanding standardized questions that ask "What is".

I really wish people wouldn't talk about things they don't understand. The lack of empathy is astounding, as well.

IQ Tests arent based around linguistics or grammar but around pattern recognition and how to understand symbols or at least it was when I took one when I was a child

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IQ Tests arent based around linguistics or grammar but around pattern recognition and how to understand symbols or at least it was when I took one when I was a child

lol they are based around both linguistics and grammar, you're just so much of a loving sperg that you thought they were symbols arranged in patterns and flunked the test you mong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Maluco Marinero posted:

Many systems intended to be objective often end up just assuming the culture and prejudices of the people primarily involved in their creation and development. Surprise, surprise, many many many systems made through the lens of white males miss the forest for the trees whilst trying to be 'objective' measures.

If I went to Japan or India and did an IQ test wouldn't they be filled with the culture and prejudices of their own respective cultures?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
People who hang on to IQ as a definitive marker are usually too stupid to graduate college or make careers for themselves but because they play video games all the time character numbers like in RPG's are all they have to hang on to to make themselves feel better.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

JFairfax posted:

lol they are based around both linguistics and grammar, you're just so much of a loving sperg that you thought they were symbols arranged in patterns and flunked the test you mong

To be fair the one I took was for kids with special needs when I was a kid

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A powerful self own.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol I loving knew it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

If I went to Japan or India and did an IQ test wouldn't they be filled with the culture and prejudices of their own respective cultures?
Probably yes, and you'd see Burakumin or Dalit getting significantly lower IQ scores, because the tests would be written by the dominant groups, and they might use that to further their own prejudices against those marginalized groups, and that would be:

A. It cars B. Car sit C. Tis arc D. Racist

[Click Here for your Internets IQ Score]

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

failing forward posted:

Most people don't think about pedagogy or how we teach people concepts, or assess how they learned those concepts, or how appropriate those forms assessment are, sadly.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

WampaLord posted:

A powerful self own.

JFairfax posted:

lol I loving knew it

Guys this is pretty loving lovely, and if you're trying to get someone to understand why something is prejudiced it's a dumb idea to heap your own apparent bigotries onto them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Guys this is pretty loving lovely, and if you're trying to get someone to understand why something is prejudiced it's a dumb idea to heap your own apparent bigotries onto them.

lol no it's funny when a lovely person making lovely opinions is objectively an idiot.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

lol no it's funny when a lovely person making lovely opinions is objectively an idiot.

So someone with special needs is "objectively an idiot"

Ok.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

So someone with special needs is "objectively an idiot"

Ok.

no just Field Marhsal

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the gist of this whole arguement is that being a well-intentioned intellectual is somehow worse than being an ignoramus? :psyduck:

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I think the thrust of the argument is that calling special needs children idiots is pretty gross especially in the context of highlighting biases in education.

Edit: Like I have multiple siblings who needed IEPs and once the school made accommodations for their learning disabilities they were both able to succeed. But welp guess they were just big ole morons.

And I know that this is way more about scoring sick owns on IFM but come on people.

Great Metal Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 17, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Intrinsic Field Marshal is a child any more

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

From what I understand, IQ tests are only useful when they're part of the spectrum of educational tools, not when used as the sole determining factor of intelligence like Molyneux wants, and when low scores are seen as a failing of the education system and something to be improved rather than ammunition against a particular group of people.

Al-Saqr posted:

no just Field Marhsal

He's not even that bad, it's not like he's Lambic. In fact I believe he's legitimately curious and often asks good questions, he's not disingenuous. But that's besides the point. It's poo poo to say "haha u r dum" when someone admits they have special needs, even if it's someone who's opinion you don't like.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grouchio posted:

So the gist of this whole arguement is that being a well-intentioned intellectual is somehow worse than being an ignoramus? :psyduck:
The gist that I got is that being a well-intentioned intellectual who can't see past their own biases, or worse a group thereof, can end up being both inaccurate and harmful. Like:

Maluco Marinero posted:

There's even a system of epistemological analysis around it in the form of Strong Objectivity. And yes, it probably also comes with its own biases.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The analogy I read about when I was a kid was that if you took an eight-year old from the American suburbs and told him to build a dugout canoe, he'd be just as useless as some eight-year old kid from an uncontacted Brazilian tribe would be at calculus, regardless of how intelligent they actually are.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
So I came to this article after watching Laci Green's interview on the Rubin Report:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/on-laci-green-and-white-womens-betrayal_us_5941a92be4b0d99b4c9210ef

That's a bullshit, or at least histrionic, article, isn't it? I certainly didn't get the feeling she was turning her back on people of color and LGBTQs.

For anyone interested this is the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-OhlILrUw

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

loving a person that hates women and people of color (not sure about gay people) certainly seems like a betrayal to me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

That's a bullshit, or at least histrionic, article, isn't it? I certainly didn't get the feeling she was turning her back on people of color and LGBTQs.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yeah, as someone who was diagnosed as a kid, gently caress off with that special needs shaming poo poo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Somfin posted:

Yeah, as someone who was diagnosed as a kid, gently caress off with that special needs shaming poo poo.

To be fair it is IFM him being special needs is degrading to the rest. Saying that as some one who was also diagnosed as a kid.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

From what I understand, IQ tests are only useful when they're part of the spectrum of educational tools, not when used as the sole determining factor of intelligence like Molyneux wants, and when low scores are seen as a failing of the education system and something to be improved rather than ammunition against a particular group of people.

Yeah, this is more or less where IQ tests are most applicable since by nature they're a fairly neutral exam that produces results along a bell curve (not of the book variety). It's easy and painless to throw an IQ test at a kid and see where their results fall compared to their peers. Some school districts do more testing than that, some school districts let your retardation be judged by a single exam, but that's the nature of a disjointed and underfuned education system :shrug:

The basic problem with IQ testing is that it's not very clear what's being tested. Like yes, pattern recognition is important, but life throws a lot more at us than shapes.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Yea, I think that Zinnia Jones thing was uncool and she should address it and apologize, but I think using that as an example of her throwing trans people under the bus is unfair considering that she has continued to speak positively in regards to trans acceptance and the proper use of proper use of pronouns. I don't think her punishment fits the crime, so to speak.

I'm going to keep watching to see how it all turns out, but it just seems to me that she's being incorrectly characterized and tared because she's fraternizing with the enemy.

She's also been getting poo poo because of this whole sex is male/female thing yet when she explains it more fully (in that Ruben interview) she basically says sex is primary male and female but that there is a spectrum and stuff in between. I think she needs to work on her terminology because its biting her in the rear end. For example in that same explanation on sex she said its binary but on a spectrum, which is obviously an oxymoron.

Edit: OK, either she's confused or I'm confused. She's claiming that SJW's say sex and gender are the same thing... I thought it was the left that believed they were different and the right that thought they were the same.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 18, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fallenturtle posted:

Edit: OK, either she's confused or I'm confused. She's claiming that SJW's say sex and gender are the same thing... I thought it was the left that believed they were different and the right that thought they were the same.

It is. Like the old saying goes you can’t reason someone out of position that they hosed themselves into.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get the impression Laci Greene is generally well intentioned but not particularly bright. She strikes me as more of a Joe Rogan sort of figure than someone who has (or is likely to gain) any actual commitment towards the more bigoted ideology of the alt-right (I think someone else made this comparison). She seems like the sort of person who will agree with just about anything provided you state it in a friendly tone and doesn't enjoy having strong disagreements with people.

So in short, she isn't good but she also isn't likely to become too openly noxious (though her sort of permissive attitude is harmful in its own way).

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I went digging around to find some helpful links on this, and I'm honestly having a bit of a hard time. That said, this article from The Atlantic by Brink Lindsey hits on a lot of interesting points closely related. Specifically, it mentions a study by Eric Turkheimer showing that the heritability of IQ varies according to socio-economic class.

Abstract posted:

Results demonstrate that the proportions of IQ variance attributable to genes and environment vary nonlinearly with SES. The models suggest that in impoverished families, 60% of the variance in IQ is accounted for by the shared environment, and the contribution of genes is close to zero; in affluent families, the result is almost exactly the reverse.

While not exactly what you were looking for, it certainly suggests that variance of IQ is a lot more complicated than most people assume.

So, in reference to me having difficulties in finding studies, what do we have showing that there is racial bias in IQ testing? I've found articles talking about cultural bias, but those are include a lot of heavy handed examples, e.g. non-native English speaker, someone not from an industrialized nation. Those, obviously, don't mesh well with racial bias in terms of people that all leave in this country. I was seeing a lot on SES impact and the Stereotype Effect, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

I can only imagine she is utterly baffled by the fact we use the same words to describe both.

Given that she seemed to take issue with that earlier.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 18, 2017

• Locked thread