Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Enourmo posted:

George Romero died. :smith:

Good news is he'll be back soon enough. :unsmigghh:

Noooo

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It would appear that I have fulfilled my evolutionary purpose in life

Yaaaay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bolind posted:

Good job. As a seasoned veteran of 28 weeks of pregnancy I can tell you that there might be barfing, and if there is, it is in your best interest to be very understanding, patient and supportive.

My wife is around 24 I think at this point? No vomit, just getting irrationally angry at me for everything. It's swell.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Why are people bad at reading and problem solving?

"We'd like to do <thing> let us know when you're able to do <thing>. The date suggested is merely to put this in the diary, please tell us when you can do <thing>"

Cue everyone saying "I can't do the date in the diary"

Honestly. Just give the gently caress up, if it's this hard to read and understand words I foresee struggle in your life.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Was it you that told me about the 'Lexus Drivers' webpage that Lexus has where you can plug in a vin and it will spit out every dealership service that vehicle has ever had?

I plugged in that LX 470 you had linked and it turns out that's its spent it's entire life in Buffalo New York, all the way up until Jan of this year. :ohdear:
I went ahead and asked about any rust issues and if there were any undercarriage pictures but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah that was me. Unless that one is spotless underneath I'd pass on it, plenty more will pop up I'm sure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So the Goodwill down the road has a Kirby vacuum for a not horrible price.

.... They also have walkers. I feel 80 just from knowing what a Kirby is.

I'm probably going to grab one of those things on Friday.

You want a Dyson? I have a DC07 that the neighbors threw away because they're stupid never-clean-or-maintenance anything users (they leave they're kid's carseat out in the driveway all the time, in rain, sun, whatever. currently, their lawnmower is in the middle of the yard, and has been for several days, along with the gas can. And the lawn is half [rear end] mowed. Bet they always bitch about how nothing lasts, too.) The Dyson needs a belt, and could use a hose ($15 for a knockoff. It has tears that are currently vinyl-taped), and the catch on the bottom of the dustbin is broken, so you have to hold it closed when you remove to dump it. Works fine, other than the beater bar not running due to the belt. I have enough vacuums as is. I cleaned it up and out, figure out what wasn't working besides being clogged up from never cleaning it. $cheap as is, $30-50 more if fixed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, guys, talk me out of this house:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/414-S-New-Hope-Rd-Kennedale-TX-76060/29172265_zpid/

(The pictures towards the end are what interest me, beyond the TWO ACRE lot. Note in those pictures that the guy clearly has the right stuff)

I see nothing that I hate, that can't be changed with wallpaper and paint (that bathroom...)

Better still, take a look at the Google Maps satellite view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...5!4d-97.2198324

That runway-looking thing to the southwest? that's an 1/8th mile dragstrip. Further down the road is the local dirt track. Up and down the major road to the east (Kennedale Pkwy) are multiple wrecking yards and industrial supply shops. Basically, all stuff that would drive off a normal buyer, but are bonuses to me. My wife is cool with it. She says she'll put up with the drag racing noise if it means she can park her car in the (apparently 3-CAR WIDE, 2 CAR DEEP) 2-car garage.

I realize that all the pics are from a fish-eye lens, which makes everything look bigger, but the house is still 400 sq. ft. more than my current place, not counting the shop and such. any decision will be after advice from my financial adviser on the feasibility of being able to afford it (would be 1.5-2x my current mortgage), and a home inspection.
I kind of hope the 40-foot container goes with the house. I can live with the cedar shake siding. Would add 10-20 minutes to my commute, before traffic, which I could also live with to get space and privacy for my uncouth hobbies.

Also holy poo poo that kitchen storage.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I think one of my Subaru's heads is warped. I don't have a very good straight edge, but it seems like theres a high spot between two of the cylinders. I'm planning on taking everything into the machine shop tomorrow. I'll ask them to check that head for true, and if it's warped stop (and I'll over an overnight JDM engine.) Kind of a bummer because (afaik) despite the head gasket failing we never overheated the engine.
I kind of suspect that maybe that engine overheated a couple years ago with the PO because there was a slight external coolant leak on this head. We might have just been lucky and got 38k out of a marginal HG.

Edit:

Darchangel posted:

Those cabinet hinges though. Who designed that kitchen, the man in the iron mask?

Seriously though, that's rad as gently caress. I wish I could find/afford something half as awesome here. :ca:

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 17, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Darchangel posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/414-S-New-Hope-Rd-Kennedale-TX-76060/29172265_zpid/

(The pictures towards the end are what interest me, beyond the TWO ACRE lot. Note in those pictures that the guy clearly has the right stuff)

I see nothing that I hate, that can't be changed with wallpaper and paint (that bathroom...)

Better still, take a look at the Google Maps satellite view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...5!4d-97.2198324

That runway-looking thing to the southwest? that's an 1/8th mile dragstrip. Further down the road is the local dirt track. Up and down the major road to the east (Kennedale Pkwy) are multiple wrecking yards and industrial supply shops. Basically, all stuff that would drive off a normal buyer, but are bonuses to me. My wife is cool with it. She says she'll put up with the drag racing noise if it means she can park her car in the (apparently 3-CAR WIDE, 2 CAR DEEP) 2-car garage.

I realize that all the pics are from a fish-eye lens, which makes everything look bigger, but the house is still 400 sq. ft. more than my current place, not counting the shop and such. any decision will be after advice from my financial adviser on the feasibility of being able to afford it (would be 1.5-2x my current mortgage), and a home inspection.
I kind of hope the 40-foot container goes with the house. I can live with the cedar shake siding. Would add 10-20 minutes to my commute, before traffic, which I could also live with to get space and privacy for my uncouth hobbies.

:grovertoot:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It would appear that I have fulfilled my evolutionary purpose in life
Congrats.

I mean, I kind of expected it to be "eaten by Rascal", but fair enough.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Congrats.

I mean, I kind of expected it to be "eaten by Rascal", but fair enough.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Congrats TT!!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Gratdolances.

Get ready for that doge to be sooooo jealous.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
grats man! doggos and babbies are great friends :3:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Requisite relevant XKCD: https://xkcd.com/946/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He knows your work's done now, and you're fair game for a tasty ginger snack.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
can u get pregananant?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

freelop posted:

Something to lighten the mood:
The location of the next AI meet

Doable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
3100km from me. yea that's doable.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This place is more reasonable imo: Warboys Rd

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I bought a 2013 Panda Twinair. It is great and I have done 300 miles so far with the sunroof open :)

However, I fear that the likelihood of me getting another speeding ticket has increased as after 3 years of Aygo driving I now instinctively just put my foot flat to the floor to pull off. What was 0-30 in the Aygo is now 0-50 in the Panda!

I'm down for this!

I shall be driving up the A14 and almost past there on my way home on Friday, I will probably detour!

spog posted:

Is that a 'I had sex' post?

Someone had sex with Mrs Tusen Takk....

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

You got the dog pregnant?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I took a friend up on his offer to go out running with another friend on Saturday and did 20 minutes of run/walk intervals with a 30 minute brisk walk back. Lots of fun, but probably a little much for my my massively out-of-shape (and fat) rear end. Ended up with some pain on the outside of my foot on Sunday, so I wanted to avoid making it worse by doing more intervals.

"No worries," I thought. "I'll just cross train on the stationary bike for 30 minutes!"
Did that Sunday and this morning.

Now my foot feels fine but my butt hurts.

:sigh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spog posted:

:laugh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

"I thought you said FAT32 had messed up something?"

"No, I said he screwed the pooch"

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I'm down for this!

I shall be driving up the A14 and almost past there on my way home on Friday, I will probably detour!

What time?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry guys, got a workmate's leaving do on Friday.

Also... Aren't all you lot over Staffordshire way?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

monsterzero posted:

I think one of my Subaru's heads is warped. I don't have a very good straight edge, but it seems like theres a high spot between two of the cylinders. I'm planning on taking everything into the machine shop tomorrow. I'll ask them to check that head for true, and if it's warped stop (and I'll over an overnight JDM engine.) Kind of a bummer because (afaik) despite the head gasket failing we never overheated the engine.
I kind of suspect that maybe that engine overheated a couple years ago with the PO because there was a slight external coolant leak on this head. We might have just been lucky and got 38k out of a marginal HG.

Edit:

Those cabinet hinges though. Who designed that kitchen, the man in the iron mask?

Seriously though, that's rad as gently caress. I wish I could find/afford something half as awesome here. :ca:

My wife noted the hinges. color matching them would diminish the effect somewhat. On the plus side, if those are the actual hinges rather than cosmetic, they'll be much sturdier and more well-attached than the poo poo on my current cabinets.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Magnus Praeda posted:

I took a friend up on his offer to go out running with another friend on Saturday and did 20 minutes of run/walk intervals with a 30 minute brisk walk back. Lots of fun, but probably a little much for my my massively out-of-shape (and fat) rear end. Ended up with some pain on the outside of my foot on Sunday, so I wanted to avoid making it worse by doing more intervals.

"No worries," I thought. "I'll just cross train on the stationary bike for 30 minutes!"
Did that Sunday and this morning.

Now my foot feels fine but my butt hurts.

:sigh:

In my experience you just have to learn to like the pain. Let's you know you've done things hard. The more you work out the less it hurts though. The best thing for me has been finding something I truly enjoy, mountain biking let's me get a good workout and I'm excited to do it. At bare minimum if I'm not losing fat, I'm loosing blood weigh from all my cuts.

Unrelated,
I'm coming to a conundrum. I like my current job on. It's been my first out of school, I get a lot of design freedom, make things the way I want them, I have access to a machine shop whenever I want to make poo poo, I like the majority of the guys I work with, and I don't make bad money. Downsides, they still consider me an entry level engineer after 3.5 years of work, and there doesn't seem to be much internal promotion or room for growth here. I have the opportunity to take a job with a much larger company, only a slightly longer drive, probably a 20% or more raise, still doing design work. It is a nuclear Industry job though, which has a reputation for being slow and boring. I'm kind of scared that I might be running away from a good thing. I don't know a lot of people who like their jobs.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Sorry guys, got a workmate's leaving do on Friday.

Also... Aren't all you lot over Staffordshire way?

Looks like it's Tomarse and me trying to get a crap beer out of the local shop.

(I'm free Weds too though – and I'm in the Cotswolds.)

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Sadi posted:

In my experience you just have to learn to like the pain. Let's you know you've done things hard. The more you work out the less it hurts though. The best thing for me has been finding something I truly enjoy, mountain biking let's me get a good workout and I'm excited to do it. At bare minimum if I'm not losing fat, I'm loosing blood weigh from all my cuts.

Unrelated,
I'm coming to a conundrum. I like my current job on. It's been my first out of school, I get a lot of design freedom, make things the way I want them, I have access to a machine shop whenever I want to make poo poo, I like the majority of the guys I work with, and I don't make bad money. Downsides, they still consider me an entry level engineer after 3.5 years of work, and there doesn't seem to be much internal promotion or room for growth here. I have the opportunity to take a job with a much larger company, only a slightly longer drive, probably a 20% or more raise, still doing design work. It is a nuclear Industry job though, which has a reputation for being slow and boring. I'm kind of scared that I might be running away from a good thing. I don't know a lot of people who like their jobs.

Sore is good--it just means you've worked your muscles--and I'm used to working through soreness. Pain, on the other hand, is legitimately your body telling you something's wrong and shouldn't be ignored. The problem is that a lot of people mistake soreness for pain and give up (or go the other way and pull some crossfit bullshit and try to "work through" a stress fracture or something). My foot was legitimately painful but a day of rest allowed it to heal vs. getting worse. My butt is just sore (so are my legs) and I can easily deal with it. Mountain biking is cool (hell, so is road biking) but I can't afford to drop $500-700 on a decent bike right now; $100 for shoes is way more in my budget. I think I may try to save up to get one next spring.

As far as career stuff: there's no reason you can't parlay the new offer into something better in another 3-5 years if you end up thinking it's slow and boring. I certainly don't love my job, but I like it well enough. I do good work and it's interesting but I've been here 3 years and I'm considering what my next move will be in another year or two because there's really no position above mine except the exec. director and I really don't want to do that. My wife is strongly encouraging me to go to law school (though I recognize that the glut of lawyers right now means finding good work is hard unless you come out in the top of your class).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meltie posted:

Looks like it's Tomarse and me trying to get a crap beer out of the local shop.

(I'm free Weds too though – and I'm in the Cotswolds.)
I could do Wednesday evening. Would get there by 6:30 I reckon. Hard to do stuff like this at short notice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo the 60s are strong with that one.

Talk you out of it? Check for aluminum wiring (though I don't think Al wiring became very common until a few years after that was built). That siding needs a lot of love to bring it back. The commute to work. Beyond that, just needs updating. That garage... and right by a dirt track? :swoon:

Darchangel posted:

You want a Dyson?

Nah, thanks though. I was interested in the Kirby more because it'll outlive me. The vacuum I have now works well.

Funny you mention how you got it though. The vacuum I have now (a Eureka bagless upright) was found in a dumpster about 10 years ago at my last apartment. Clogged, dirty, and a pet had made a chew toy out of the cord Changed the filter, unclogged it, and patched up the cord. In the 10 years since, I've replaced the beater brush once, the filter a couple more times, and it's gone through a few belts. I'm probably into it for about $50 total.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sadi posted:

Unrelated,
20% isn't bad, especially if you are coming off a fairly high number to begin with. Can you take the new job without burning the bridges that let you into the machine shop? Or even letting you come back to the old/current job if you don't like the new one?

Why are you looking for something new? Money? Respect? Title? or just looking for something new and different?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Holy poo poo the 60s are strong with that one.

Talk you out of it? Check for aluminum wiring (though I don't think Al wiring became very common until a few years after that was built). That siding needs a lot of love to bring it back. The commute to work. Beyond that, just needs updating. That garage... and right by a dirt track? :swoon:

Dirt track, drag strip, wrecking yards, industrial supplies. Hang on, need to check where the nearest Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and/or Tractor Supply are.
And with 2 acres, I could just *build* another house if I decide I hate the existing one...

quote:

Nah, thanks though. I was interested in the Kirby more because it'll outlive me. The vacuum I have now works well.

Funny you mention how you got it though. The vacuum I have now (a Eureka bagless upright) was found in a dumpster about 10 years ago at my last apartment. Clogged, dirty, and a pet had made a chew toy out of the cord Changed the filter, unclogged it, and patched up the cord. In the 10 years since, I've replaced the beater brush once, the filter a couple more times, and it's gone through a few belts. I'm probably into it for about $50 total.

Sometimes it's good to be someone who can fix stuff.

edit:
HF in Arlington on the way to/from work. For that matter, there's one in Irving not far off my potential route.
Northern Tool also on the route, in Grand Prairie.
Tractor Supply in Mansfield (5 miles).
Home Depot in Mansfield (ditto). Lowes same.
Grocery stores a few miles.

Whelp. guess it's time to ask my finance guy if I can afford it.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Dirt track, drag strip, wrecking yards, industrial supplies. Hang on, need to check where the nearest Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, and/or Tractor Supply are.
And with 2 acres, I could just *build* another house if I decide I hate the existing one...

Sometimes it's good to be someone who can fix stuff.

At worst you'd just have to swing up into Arlington to get something. As for the strip, my dad lives a short drive over in everman and we could hear the cars running if we sat outside, but it never went too late. I also grew up just nort of there by lake arlington. All in all, a chill place to live.

Edit: The commute to irving is a bit of a bitch. My dad did it off and on as work necessitated, but ultimately say gently caress it due to the time required for that commute. Also, there are a poo poo ton more stores and such along I-20 in between cooper and collins there in arlington for non hardware needs.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 17, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Congrats. Best part of pregnancy is pregnancy boobs.

That's about the only good part. It gets better when you have the baby though.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Congrats. Best part of pregnancy is pregnancy boobs.

True

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It gets better when you have the baby though.

Yeah about that.....

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That's about the only good part. It gets better when you have the baby though.

Haahahahaahahahahaj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Speaking of cats, some low-energy troll is trying to get PI rattled up with a thread about keeping cats off his "expensive car." I've already engaged, maybe we could get some sort of game going in there. A game involving cats on cars, perhaps sharing one or two attributes with the previously posted image, if you see my meaning.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827132

• Locked thread