Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

crimedog posted:

One hand washes the ... brother

I missed the Bachelor Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
This was...Not a good episode...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Franchescanado posted:

It was a great! one...

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Turn up the volume, bitch!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It never occurred to me that Pearl Jam = cum.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Yea wasn't a great one. I'm a big fan of Karl Mooney but he was pretty bad this episode. Really didnt seem to have much chemistry with the guys as himself, didn't really go along with Scott on anything and you could tell Scott was trying to involve him at times, his character wasn't great at all either. Whole episode felt a bit rushed.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
If you'd like to spoil yourself on the lineup for Episode 500 - You can spoil yourself.

It's pretty good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JethroMcB posted:

If you'd like to spoil yourself on the lineup for Episode 500 - You can spoil yourself.

It's pretty good.

It's not all of my favorite guests. Won't listen :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

It's pretty good.

drat, no Kyle Mooney...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

So this is the caliber of performer on SNL these days? Looks like I'm not missing much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He's easily the most divisive cast member, and tends to do prerecorded stuff for the most part. Whenever he works with Beck Bennett, there's usually something good. Or his wife, Leslie Jones.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

His youtube stuff is funny as hell but he was not very good on this podcast

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It never occurred to me that Pearl Jam = cum.
Just wait til you hear about a little band called Limp Bizkit

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Everyone here is insane, I cannot believe you guys didn't love Mooney today. He was super game _and_ made fun of the podcast. I didn't feel like he was sandbagging anything or not in on the joke, he was great! Think you guys are way off on this one.

FitFortDanga posted:

So this is the caliber of performer on SNL these days? Looks like I'm not missing much.
This is the oldest-man kinda poo poo you can say about a TV show made for old people.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I thought today's episode was pretty funny tbh

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Personally I liked Monney's character and I really liked the song he sang.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Daddy had to slap me/ I'm not happy/ SURPRISE!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManoliIsFat posted:

Everyone here is insane, I cannot believe you guys didn't love Mooney today. He was super game _and_ made fun of the podcast. I didn't feel like he was sandbagging anything or not in on the joke, he was great! Think you guys are way off on this one.

He was totally aware of the podcast and he was game, but he wasn't funny. Either he's a master actor of awkwardness and Maybe-And improv on some Tim Heidekker level poo poo, or, more plausibly, he was not good or funny. Fran's character was also terrible. Each had some moments, but it wasn't great. Paul & Neil were funnier just by reacting.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Franchescanado posted:

He was totally aware of the podcast and he was game, but he wasn't funny. Either he's a master actor of awkwardness and Maybe-And improv on some Tim Heidekker level poo poo, or, more plausibly, he was not good or funny. Fran's character was also terrible. Each had some moments, but it wasn't great. Paul & Neil were funnier just by reacting.

Fran's character could have gone somewhere, I thought they were going to go more into her faking her illnesses or explore the mom making her lie but nope it just kinda stayed one note. Mooney is just probably quite uncomfortable and quiet as a guy unless he's playing a character, he seemed pretty unprepared for the hijinks of the show and when to yes and for someone who obviously knew the concept.

Excited about the 500th, sad Andy Daly isnt going to be on it though :(

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Just Chamber posted:

Excited about the 500th, sad Andy Daly isnt going to be on it though :(

Yeah I'm a bit bummed too

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Just Chamber posted:

Fran's character could have gone somewhere, I thought they were going to go more into her faking her illnesses or explore the mom making her lie but nope it just kinda stayed one note.

Over the years there have been quite a few characters who stall out waiting for someone to say "you're lying to me" but instead Scot keeps going "huh wow that's crazy!" I'm thinking of the Pie Minister and Mike the Janitor, but there may have been others, not played by PFT. It makes sense why it happens because if you spring that on someone and it's not what they're going for it would completely derail things.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
That's why Ben Schwartz is the best improviser of them all, he reacts to every character by saying "wait for real?" So they can say if they're tricking him or not.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I enjoyed Kyle Mooney quite a bit, but I like him in general. I generally appreciate it when someone comes with a prewritten bit (Andy Daly, Brendon Small, Brett Gellman, etc.). Even if it doesn't always work I think it's a nice change of pace. I thought his song was hysterical, and the character was spot-on. It might help that I knew a few guys in high school that were just like that character. Any time someone says "gently caress you very much" it gets a dumb laugh out of me.

I also thought he had good chemistry with the Bachelor Bros, although I wish they'd had more back-and-forth. I really enjoyed when he was bragging about getting head from your girlfriend in the bathroom of a CVS, and also selling her pills, while the Bachelor Bros fawned over how cool he was.

To each their own though, it's sort of a one-note character but I enjoyed it. Here's a link to one of my favorite Mooney bits from SNL where he marries Miley Cyrus - featuring both Beck Bennet and Bobby Moynihan.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah I thought today's episode was pretty funny tbh

frans character was the only part i didn't really like, otherwise it felt like an awkward episode with a weird energy that for some reason I still enjoyed and laughed at quite a bit. I totally get why people wouldn't like it, but for me it was far from a bad ep

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Mooney was game and funny but he has bad energy in the first segment. Probably nervous & also he kind of seems like a fred stroller or Armen type in general. You probably don't make a career out of doing bits where you're an awkward stammer guy if you don't have to.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

A great magician never reveals his loving secrets. I'm 18 years old, bitch.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Just Chamber posted:

Fran's character could have gone somewhere, I thought they were going to go more into her faking her illnesses or explore the mom making her lie but nope it just kinda stayed one note.

It was really weird that Scott admonished Paul Rust for jumping down this path, and then when Fran followed up by pretty explicitly inviting people to run with that joke nobody bothered to do much of anything

Just Scott going "uh so anything else you wanted to say"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

fran was this girl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L29EG8b8Gs

who murders her mother after years of abuse and exploitation

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Which character of her's had the same voice as the one she did in this episode and said "um actually" alot?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I thought the Kyle Mooney character was really funny.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember a verse about telling the difference between the films Dirty and Bad Grandpa and in my head I hear PFT saying it. Tried searching google and the earwolf forums but nothing is coming up. If it is from CBB does anyone know which episode?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Koburn posted:

I'm trying to remember a verse about telling the difference between the films Dirty and Bad Grandpa and in my head I hear PFT saying it. Tried searching google and the earwolf forums but nothing is coming up. If it is from CBB does anyone know which episode?

Is this it

https://twitter.com/nickwiger/status/879042911119134720

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

It is, thanks!

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping
I thought the episode was so-so but I just about died when Fran's character started joining in for the song.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Genuinely disappointed ep 500 is under 2 hours.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tnimark posted:

Genuinely disappointed ep 500 is under 2 hours.

Agreed. My favorite episodes have been the 8+ comedians stuck together for 3 hour episodes, like this year's anniversary and the Bajillion Dollar Properties episodes

Also, no Tim Baltz, which is kind of disappointing too. He laughs at everyone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Here's a 500th episode retrospective with Scott and a bunch of guests from the show.: http://www.thedailybeast.com/comedy-bang-bang-500-episode-milestone-funniest-podcast-scott-aukerman

I can't believe PFT hadn't done character work before Ice T on the show. Scott says he still has fun doing the show, but that the time when it becomes too difficult to book may be rapidly approaching. Personally I'd be fine with him losing the every Monday aspect of it and just putting out episodes when he was happy with the guests who were available and felt like doing a show, but obviously there are benefits to staying regular. I really hope he does another massive live tour before he quits either way, and that he decides to bother visiting the third most populated state in the country next time. Yeah, I'm still kind of bitter about him skipping Florida--I know the Australia shows were as much about going on vacation as anything, but Florida has almost as many people as Australia, come on!

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 24, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given he glut of really good new talent hes showcased over the last 18 months or so, the booking aspect saddens me a bit. The show feels like it's in a second stage right now that's every bit as good as the old Daly/PFT etc original.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Here's a 500th episode retrospective with Scott and a bunch of guests from the show.: http://www.thedailybeast.com/comedy-bang-bang-500-episode-milestone-funniest-podcast-scott-aukerman

I can't believe PFT hadn't done character work before Ice T on the show. Scott says he still has fun doing the show, but that the time when it becomes too difficult to book may be rapidly approaching. Personally I'd be fine with him losing the every Monday aspect of it and just putting out episodes when he was happy with the guests who were available and felt like doing a show, but obviously there are benefits to staying regular. I really hope he does another massive live tour before he quits either way, and that he decides to bother visiting the third most populated state in the country next time. Yeah, I'm still kind of bitter about him skipping Florida--I know the Australia shows were as much about going on vacation as anything, but Florida has almost as many people as Australia, come on!

Same. I'm tired of FL being skipped, as if a 7 hour drive to ATL is an easy feat. At least go to Orlando so everyone in the state has a fair chance.

Except Miami. gently caress Miami. (Sorry if you're in Miami.)

EL BROMANCE posted:

Given he glut of really good new talent hes showcased over the last 18 months or so, the booking aspect saddens me a bit. The show feels like it's in a second stage right now that's every bit as good as the old Daly/PFT etc original.

Agreed. It seems to have caught a second (third?) wind this year and is really feeling like classic CBB. Last year had some good stuff, but it just didn't feel like the show that's been my go-to podcast for years.

edit: I know it's inevitable, hopefully it's a few more years down the line, but I'm going to be very sad when CBB and I4H are gone. :(

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Franchescanado posted:

Same. I'm tired of FL being skipped, as if a 7 hour drive to ATL is an easy feat. At least go to Orlando so everyone in the state has a fair chance.

Except Miami. gently caress Miami. (Sorry if you're in Miami.)

I'm in FTL not Miami, but I'll defend it because Orlando irks me and Miami is much closer. Sorry!