Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

meiram posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam already, but are the post 2.0 ARR quests ever actually interesting, story wise? I'm like halfway through the 2.1 quests and definitely at a point in my life where spending $25 is worth it for avoiding this poo poo.

They begin to pick up after a while. The early stuff is weak but as you get closer to Ishgard things start to genuinely improve and the climax is significant enough to what happens in HW than it's better to experience it genuinely.

That said I'd gladly dish out the money to skip it if I ever made a new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't have the inventory for this again.

They done it twice is a row now so having unified tomestone gear in 4.0 would be the deviation. I suspect it's to increase the time to gear alt jobs to make up for x.0 patches being the most content-light of an expansion cycle

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why? It costs 25% MP as is to use on a job that operates on a steady MP deficit and has only Lucid Dreaming for MP regen. Any time I've had to cast multiple veraises in a short period has left me gassed and nearly useless for a while. Especially since if I'm picking up a healer I'll usually Mana shift them to get them going faster (assuming it's off cool down).

I would like to let you know that my friend RDM raider who plays well thinks you are smoking something and recommends that:

(1) You run a bard
(2) That you be good at the game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
(3) that you dodge halicarnassus' first frogging attack

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
To be fair the cone on that thing is ABSURDLY janky and much much wider than it looks like it should be

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

To be fair the cone on that thing is ABSURDLY janky and much much wider than it looks like it should be

Just stick close the the boss and run to the 180 of her facing. You can just walk through enemies in this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the Black Mages and Bards who position themselves like they're allergic to being near the boss are just making things harder on themselves most of the time

The correct place to stand is just outside the circular AoE that fucks over melees in every boss. If the boss doesn't have one of those just stack with everyone

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Chaitai posted:

What is the best situation to use each AST card? I'm fairly new to AST, but I finally have all of the reroll / store card / burn card to buff the next one skills.

I feel like most of the cards are useless except for Balance (20% damage increase) and The Bole (damage reduction). The others I feel like a burn card fodder until you get one of those two.

Am I playing AST all wrong and no one has told me?

You're mostly right. Balance is always good. In 4-man it might be better to enhance or extend it than expand (aoe) it. Think of Arrow as a runner up to balance. It's a dps upgrade, but not as good.

Bole is good single target at the right time, but not really multi-target. Good on big pulls or tankbusters. Nothing fancy otherwise.

If you tossed or RRed every other card, you'd be doing fine. They occasionally have edge uses, but in general you don't need to worry about them, and they're greatly exaggerated.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 17, 2017

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

cheetah7071 posted:

All the Black Mages and Bards who position themselves like they're allergic to being near the boss are just making things harder on themselves most of the time

The correct place to stand is just outside the circular AoE that fucks over melees in every boss. If the boss doesn't have one of those just stack with everyone

Wanderer's Palace Hard Mode taught me this. I couldn't figure out how the gently caress to evade that megacone AOE as a summoner, and I almost died laughing at myself when after dying two times I saw the dragoon take one step to the side and continue DPSing

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ImpAtom posted:

They begin to pick up after a while. The early stuff is weak but as you get closer to Ishgard things start to genuinely improve and the climax is significant enough to what happens in HW than it's better to experience it genuinely.

That said I'd gladly dish out the money to skip it if I ever made a new character.

Honestly, some of the content at the very end of 2.5/2.55 is good, but I'd have a hard time convincing myself to go through the endless drag of the stuff that leads up to it. Do at least watch the big cutscenes at the end of 2.55 though, or you'll be lost at sea.

You can jump straight to Stormblood and skip Heavensward entirely, but I'd personally suggest going through Heavensward. The MSQ in that is quite a bit shorter and I'd say more interesting than ARR's was. Plus, pretty much all of the major characters are cool and good; even Alphinaud gets some development after threatening to turn into Elezen Treesus for most of the 2.x stuff.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ntan1 posted:

I would like to let you know that my friend RDM raider who plays well thinks you are smoking something and recommends that:

(1) You run a bard
(2) That you be good at the game.

maybe the other people in the party should suck less so i don't have to waste my mana on raising them

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
spear is good at raising my bard's blood pressure

the real :trumppop: move is to use an expanded balance and then immediately overwrite his with a spear

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I haven't done the math but I can't see how a 20% cd reduction on a few skills is better than 10% flat dps increase.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's incredibly not, which is what makes it hysterical

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gotcha. I have a poor sarcasm detector. Pubby Astros do love their spears though.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Luceid posted:

maybe the other people in the party should suck less so i don't have to waste my mana on raising them

You appear to be confused, as your job is to damage enemies in the encounter, and not heal and revive players. I'd recommend unslotting raise if you can't handle the responsibility of not having functionally infinite mana.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don't troll with my cards but I can and will play favorites with who gets what, and only sometimes is my reasoning sensible

If i have to raise you more than once, you probably don't get a card for the rest of the run

If you're mana shifting me, even when i don't need it, all the balances to you

stupid outfit? No cards for you, unless it circles around back to awesome, then ALL the cards to you

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I've encountered a weird bug as red mage where one of my spells costs more than No Mana. Can anyone else confirm this?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The only rule for cards that I follow is that if I have a single-target Arrow, it's going on the monk. Even if it doesn't devour their tp anymore.

Push the buttons faster, punchy.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Honestly, some of the content at the very end of 2.5/2.55 is good, but I'd have a hard time convincing myself to go through the endless drag of the stuff that leads up to it. Do at least watch the big cutscenes at the end of 2.55 though, or you'll be lost at sea.

You can jump straight to Stormblood and skip Heavensward entirely, but I'd personally suggest going through Heavensward. The MSQ in that is quite a bit shorter and I'd say more interesting than ARR's was. Plus, pretty much all of the major characters are cool and good; even Alphinaud gets some development after threatening to turn into Elezen Treesus for most of the 2.x stuff.

Maybe, but it's my understanding in HW you get to kill all the Ishgardians and the minimal interactions I've had with them so far make me interested in this proposition.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You're mostly right. Balance is always good. In 4-man it might be better to enhance or extend it than expand (aoe) it. Think of Arrow as a runner up to balance. It's a dps upgrade, but not as good.

Bole is good single target at the right time, but not really multi-target. Good on big pulls or tankbusters. Nothing fancy otherwise.

If you tossed or RRed every other card, you'd be doing fine. They occasionally have edge uses, but in general you don't need to worry about them, and they're greatly exaggerated.

This is not correct and let me tell you how to do things the correct way.

4 Man content does not matter so there is not legitimately 100% correct way to use cards in 4 man content, except:
- The cards that you should be generally using are Balance and Arrow. All other cards should be either Royal Road-ed or dropped. In 70 content, there is no use for drop, so that is converted into a royal crown.
- Apply Balance and Arrow to the highest DPS, with the Royal Roaded action.

In 8-man content:

Draw a card.

- If Ewer or Spire, RR. If you already have AOE RR, redraw.
- If you have a set up AOE Balance or AOE Aero, use it.
- If Balance or Arrow, keep the card. If you already have a kept card, apply to highest DPS.
- If any card is remaining after these steps, then Minor Arcana and use the result when reasonably possible.

If Sleeve Draw is available and the CD on draw is under 15 seconds, wait for that CD to come up. Then:

- Follow above directions for drawing card.
- Apply Sleeve Draw.
- If you have a set up for an AOE Balance or AOE Aero, use it.
- If you have a Balance or a Arrow in the draw slot, use it on the highest DPS
- If you can now redraw a card, do so.
- If you have a kept card that is NOT Balance or Aero:
- - If AOE RR is up, then hold it until you have used that AOE RR on a Balance or Arrow. Then, immediately use the kept card on any pet or the lowest DPS player.
- - Otherwise, if AOE balance has just been applied on all players, use it on any pet or the lowest DPS.
- - Otherwise, use it on the most appropriate player.
- If the redrawn card a Balance or Arrow, use it on the highest or second highest DPS player. If it is Ewer or Spire, attempt to Royal Road.
- If there is still a card in the draw slot, Minor Arcana it.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 17, 2017

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
dead

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

As a tank, It's incredibly annoying how every pubbie healer stands as far back as possible in the 4 man dungeon roulette boss arenas ensuring it's as difficult as possible for me to grab adds.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

meiram posted:

Maybe, but it's my understanding in HW you get to kill all the Ishgardians and the minimal interactions I've had with them so far make me interested in this proposition.

Nope, not even close.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kzin602 posted:

As a tank, It's incredibly annoying how every pubbie healer stands as far back as possible in the 4 man dungeon roulette boss arenas ensuring it's as difficult as possible for me to grab adds.

I play dragoon so at least you'll get my dragon sights when the other DPS does everything in their power to avoid a 5% boost

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think my most consistent commendation source (aside from queueing into a 3-person premade) is making sure to stay tethered to the DRG despite being ranged dps.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

kzin602 posted:

Man if I see adds spawn and I've got regen or whatever up I run my rear end towards the tank. Mostly because some of them must be wearing blinders.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

kzin602 posted:

What dungeon has boss adds that automatically target the healer instead of #1 aggro (you)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

strong bird posted:

What dungeon has boss adds that automatically target the healer instead of #1 aggro (you)

the dungeons where healers put HoTs on the tank before every pull and you forget to click it off sometimes

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nope, not even close.

To be fair, he is not ENTIRELY wrong. It's just a matter of magnitude, accuracy and precision. :commissar:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Tank stats:

Infinite health thanks to the grace of Healer
Stands rear end still pressing 2 buttons on one enemy for 5 minutes
Ignores mechanics thanks to powerful armor and health values

Healer stats:
Fragile due to cloth armoure, grace and nobility
Weight of entire party on their shoulders, needs to change targets more than once per fight
One missed mechanic spells certain doom

Hmm.. Yeah, the healers should be the one to move to the tank. Get real, kid.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

strong bird posted:

Tank stats:

Healer stats:
Weight of entire party on their shoulders, needs to change targets more than once per fight

Look at all of these bad opinions- if the tank spins the boss around to go pick up adds, they're going to get everyone killed with cleaves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

strong bird posted:

Tank stats:

Healer stats:

source your quotes

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Gearhead posted:

To be fair, he is not ENTIRELY wrong. It's just a matter of magnitude, accuracy and precision. :commissar:

She, and I may have been glibly exaggerating based on spoilers I read in this thread. Whatevs it is, I'll take it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

what is with this thread and not getting obvious jokes

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
please do not shitpost in this Final Fantasy Ex Eye Vee Thread, you will upset the delicate posting economy within

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The tank's responsibility is to absorb the damage directed at the party's spiritual and tactical leader, the healer, and the replaceable infantrymen, the DPS. There's no way to justify the healer or the DPS having to go out of their way to facilitate the tank's responsibility when most of the time they're just standing still hitting 1-2-3 and their 6 invulnerability buttons. Frankly, they should welcome adds spawning with aggro on someone else, since it gives them an excuse to use the movement keys.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The HW story is definitely better than SB so far (though SB's game content is better), so I wouldn't ever recommend skipping it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

strong bird posted:

The tank's responsibility is to absorb the damage directed at the party's spiritual and tactical leader, the healer, and the replaceable infantrymen, the DPS. There's no way to justify the healer or the DPS having to go out of their way to facilitate the tank's responsibility when most of the time they're just standing still hitting 1-2-3 and their 6 invulnerability buttons. Frankly, they should welcome adds spawning with aggro on someone else, since it gives them an excuse to use the movement keys.

I like the cut of your jib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

kzin602 posted:

Healers deal with this too. Every 8 man has some lawaffle (it's always them) DPS standing in Downtown Fucksville not getting any aoe shields/heals/ast cards because ?????

Thankfully then they die and it's a self-correcting problem.