Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mike Lee is worthless, and almost certainly opposes the bill because it isn't cruel enough, but his "no" vote is still technically the correct vote.

This increases my opinion of him from "hot soggy turd" to "tepid soggy turd."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

God what a dick. Asset forfeiture of all loving things. How appropriate.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Thank gently caress but let's not assume this thing won't rise from the dead in the very near future

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Wikipedia sez about Drug Courts:

"Drug courts are problem-solving courts that take a public health approach using a specialized model in which the judiciary, prosecution, defense bar, probation, law enforcement, mental health, social service, and treatment communities work together to help addicted offenders into long-term recovery."

So... she wants drug addicts to be given treatment? loving monster bitch, hang her. Death is too good!

She supports them not because they divert addicts from the justice system(e.g. it is better than just jailing them) but precisely because rehab w/o the threat of jail is ineffective in her view. E.g. criminalization is a good and necessary tool in regards to addiction.

Read the context - she spells that out in her reaction to what is a news article about a treatment facility being stood up in that district.

This is a poo poo opinion in my view.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If McCain dies, there would be two competitive senate elections in Arizona next year. (I'm not trying to be ghoulish. Those are the facts.)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/887109581587066880

Gotta say, I didn't see Mike Lee putting the third knife in

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mdemone posted:

When did this happen? Did McCain's surgery/recovery give the dumbfucks enough cover to flee the sinking ship?

Even if it just bought enough time for otherwise lovely, lovely lobbyists to blowtorch into Mike Lee's cranial cavity, McCain's blood clot may go down in history as a pivotal entity.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Morans reasoning for his no.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/887109142288232449

I reiterate, lol.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Keep on eating eachother you stupid evil fucks

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
McCain found that the only winning move was not to play.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I think Lee's doing this at least in part because McCain's absence means they'll start going into crunch time immediately on the spending bill

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those are the smart Senators, who took this opportunity where the bill was basically dead in the water to jump ship. Meanwhile Heller has still not said anything but I'm sure now that it doesn't matter he will come out against the bill.

Is McConnell going to try a 3rd time?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

Despite all the evil, I just think of Nestle Sweetened Condensed Milk, the most delicious substance ever invented by mankind. Put it on fruit pies.
The best part is the formula packages were designed to last just long enough that lactation would have ended before finishing so people who could barely acquire clean water were then dependent on formula they couldn't afford. Delicious.

Hollismason posted:

That video from the NRA is really kind of terrifying.
I agree the message is terrifying, but I can't take that guy seriously. He just looks so pampered and compensating that it feels silly. Your boss's boss is totally ready to take on the untamed irradiated wasteland frontier.

farraday posted:

Game set match. Also loving lol.
I wonder if that unhinged maniac in Nevada threatening violence against mass murder conspirators had something to do with this. :argh: Violent Left!

BiggerBoat posted:

God what a dick. Asset forfeiture of all loving things. How appropriate.
Are you against Law and Order? Or disagree that Blue Lives Matter? Do you not trust these upstanding public servants to act with integrity and restraint with the communities they're charged to protect?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/887103126922309636

john mccain is the most handsome man on television

I'm getting more and more seriously concerned by the minute, meaning I will gladly vote for him to die.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
I am deeply concerned about McCain's health.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ralepozozaxe posted:

McCain found that the only winning move was not to play.

By perpetually being in a state of near death he has finally crippled Trump in ways that he's too chickenshit to actually undo with force. If and when Trump fails in killing him to make sure he doesn't cause a republican made government shutdown or worse, a government with no budget just rolling off like its Indiana, he won't even be able to have the time to focus on defending Russia when he'll have to deny the economic crisis.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How are republicans anti-regulation and yet still (supposedly) want to protect people with pre-existing conditions? Seems like those are mutually exclusive ideas :shrug:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's probably worth noting that while everyone seems to hate the Democrats for their ability to compromise with Republicans, the Republicans can't pass their signature un-legislation because they can't compromise with each other.

Mind_Taker posted:

How are republicans anti-regulation and yet still (supposedly) want to protect people with pre-existing conditions? Seems like those are mutually exclusive ideas :shrug:

I mean I'm sure the answer you're looking for is, "lol all Republicans are ethically bankrupt" and that might be true; but it's hypothetically possible to maintain "regulations are generally bad" and "some regulations are so important they outweigh other considerations" at the same time.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 18, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Those are the smart Senators, who took this opportunity where the bill was basically dead in the water to jump ship. Meanwhile Heller has still not said anything but I'm sure now that it doesn't matter he will come out against the bill.

Is McConnell going to try a 3rd time?

If we're talking about ACA repeal, that would technically be the 57th time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Get this: Trump is going to wake up to this news tomorrow.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

mdemone posted:

Get this: Trump is going to wake up to this news tomorrow.

At 3 am, wake me if it's glorious.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

They realize that protection for pre-existing conditions is one of the really popular parts of the ACA. Problem is they've painted themselves into a corner, because the way to make sure that PEC coverage doesn't cause prices to skyrocket is to diversify the risk pool, perhaps by mandating that everyone purchase coverage, individually

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

Protecting pre-existing conditions polls insanely high: 59% for Republicans and 68% for independents. It'd be political suicide.

http://www.kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/kaiser-health-tracking-poll-june-2017-aca-replacement-plan-and-medicaid/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus Christ. I'm six pages behind. So where's the page where you idiots finally shut the gently caress up about fast food and Chic Fil A so I can skip ahead? WTF is it about this god damned forum and every thread in it and loving junk food?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bueno Papi posted:

Protecting pre-existing conditions polls insanely high: 59% for Republicans and 68% for independents. It'd be political suicide.

http://www.kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/kaiser-health-tracking-poll-june-2017-aca-replacement-plan-and-medicaid/

I have to say, I am enjoying watching reactionary scumbags trapped in the inverse of the Lieberman Problem.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mdemone posted:

When did this happen? Did McCain's surgery/recovery give the dumbfucks enough cover to flee the sinking ship?

Mike Lee apparently listened to and trusted insurance experts who told him that it would be terrible, and Moran was one of the only GOP senators who held town halls during the July 4 recess so maybe his voters swayed him.

Anyway, they both came out at the same time because neither wanted to be Senator #3.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

mdemone posted:

Get this: Drumpf is going to wake up to this news tomorrow.

Awww, did he get tuckered out from his big day seeing the fire truck?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The rats are gonna start jumping ship and there'll be like 10 nos by the end of the week.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mind_Taker posted:

The secret is that there is no Republican Party. Just several smaller parties that generally agree on gently caress regulations, kill poors, marry rich.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Bueno Papi posted:

It's amazing that 41% of Republicans and almost 1/3 of independents aren't in favor of protections for pre-existing conditions. The staggering ignorance and/or malice behind that belief is both hilarious and terrifying.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ. I'm six pages behind. So where's the page where you idiots finally shut the gently caress up about fast food and Chic Fil A so I can skip ahead? WTF is it about this god damned forum and every thread in it and loving junk food?

Dunno, you tell me.

Relatedly, how do you feel about Grub Burger?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Isn't this poo poo exactly why we have three separate branches of government, so that the Executive doesn't get to control who gets into the Legislative branch? Is this somehow not wildly illegal, in addition to being clearly unethical? Or is this yet another case where the founding Fathers didn't specify that because they never imagined we'd gently caress up so badly that we'd need it spelled out?

TheMadMilkman posted:

Mike Lee is worthless, and almost certainly opposes the bill because it isn't cruel enough, but his "no" vote is still technically the correct vote.

This increases my opinion of him from "hot soggy turd" to "tepid soggy turd."
Here's an article with a few quotes. Yeah, Lee says he's voting against the bill because it's not cruel/conservative enough.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 18, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Robot Hobo posted:

Isn't this poo poo exactly why we have three separate branches of government, so that the Executive doesn't get to control who gets into the Legislative branch? Is this somehow not wildly illegal, in addition to being clearly unethical?

No, Presidents endorse and stump for downticket candidates all the time.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

:burger:politics:burger:

:yum:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/887116466444787712
Sadly, no it isn't, Nate.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It might be because of McCain, but a few hours ago TPM had this on Johnson:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/887093239123251201

So Johnson found out via the press about McConnell telling senators that the Medicaid cuts wouldn't ever actually go into effect, he doublechecked the story with his colleagues, found out it was true, and went "gently caress you McConnell" and withdrew his support :lol:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Glazier posted:

No, Presidents endorse and stump for downticket candidates all the time.
But do they usually spend $10 million dollars to do it? I guess I'm just unclear where this money is coming from.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AegisP posted:

It might be because of McCain, but a few hours ago TPM had this on Johnson:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/887093239123251201

So Johnson found out via the press about McConnell telling senators that the Medicaid cuts wouldn't ever actually go into effect, he doublechecked the story with his colleagues, found out it was true, and went "gently caress you McConnell" and withdrew his support :lol:

MAKE THE TWEET YOU FAT OLD MITCH

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its actually a very clever move and smells like something worked out behind the scenes. At some point everyone knew the bill was dead, but they were scared of Trump attacking moderates. Collins and Paul grabbed the hall passes, but they didn't want Trump going off on Heller. Lee and Moran are pretty safe and probably can't be primaried, especially if they are going with the "not evil enough" public reason. If a flood of no's follow them, they give cover to the moderates in the herd while spreading Trump's ire evenly between Moran and Lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

RasperFat posted:

It's amazing that 41% of Republicans and almost 1/3 of independents aren't in favor of protections for pre-existing conditions. The staggering ignorance and/or malice behind that belief is both hilarious and terrifying.

41% of Republicans would probably be ok putting poor people in camps and working them to death. You're looking at the tail end of regressive right in that polling.

• Locked thread