Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm honestly sick of them reviving things from Ralph McQuarrie's back catalogue of concept art that didn't make it the first time round. Star Wars has been doing it, Star Trek is doing it, guys get your own ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

He eerily looks like Lin-Manuel Miranda in that picture.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

vermin posted:

The four bridge points between the inner and outer saucer have got to be the busiest parts of the ship. It was a proof of concept by Turbo-Lift engineers to see how complicated they could make their shafts but it got approved by Admiral Archer during a drunk weekend.

By limiting the available space, it's more likely that the crew will run into each other for the Meaningful and Awkward Moments every starship needs to function, thus negating the need for a Briefing Room, Cafeteria, or Brig.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I bet somebody at CBS loves it because of the loving arrowhead. The new Trek productions just can't seem to help themselves from spraying that goddamn arrowhead everywhere. Like holy poo poo I'm actually a little surprised they haven't tried to do TNG-style collar rank pips, but have the pips be little arrowheads.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would be very funny if they decided to do that but just arranged them side by side rather than in chevrons.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I bet somebody at CBS loves it because of the loving arrowhead. The new Trek productions just can't seem to help themselves from spraying that goddamn arrowhead everywhere. Like holy poo poo I'm actually a little surprised they haven't tried to do TNG-style collar rank pips, but have the pips be little arrowheads.

If you look at the badge on the uniforms they have the rank pips integrated into it. Not arrowheads though. Yet.

(No one will ever see this in the US due to CBS All Access being a lovely, low bit rate app.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Series saved! Communicator looks good, and uses the grill design from WoK!

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/887039219838763008

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Please rate my ship design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayARo_IGV7g&t=77s

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

edit: it's probably because non-nerds might know Levar from Reading Rainbow and Roots, while Brent Spiner was in, uh... Independence Day I guess?

I would totally get Brent Spiner to sign my Sunday in the Park With George CD.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Sweet the SPEED HOLES are back :rice:

Are they just actively trying to get fans to hate everything about this show?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Showrunner Aaron Harberts on the change:

“In different versions of ‘Trek,’ the Klingons have never been completely consistent,” he said. “We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign.”

Like, OK, sure, but why create the distraction? What's the benefit?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Astroman posted:

Are they just actively trying to get fans to hate everything about this show?

Apparently that's a strategy that works for Marvel Comics

http://comicsalliance.com/angry-comic-book-fans-sales/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Evek posted:

If you look at the badge on the uniforms they have the rank pips integrated into it. Not arrowheads though. Yet.

(No one will ever see this in the US due to CBS All Access being a lovely, low bit rate app.)
Maybe they can do little hollow arrowheads, like the Cub Scouts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually liked the ship design but those holes are loving terrible.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Bloop posted:

“In different versions of ‘Trek,’ the Klingons have never been completely consistent,” he said. “We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign.”

Sorry, the Discovery may be a cludge, but the benefit of the redesign is that this dude is rad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What today's 18-54 demographic want is things their parents remember from the 1960s, but darker and grittier -- a TV exec from 2003.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sorry, the Discovery may be a cludge, but the benefit of the redesign is that this dude is rad.
If this was some other species, I'd have no problem at all with it (except for his dumb getting-caught-on-loving-everything-armour (Edit: oh hey he also has dumb I-can't-use-touchscreens-or-wield-melee-weapons-nails, too)).

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 18, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The Bloop posted:

I wonder why they lied about the Klingon redesign when it got leaked.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 18, 2017

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

This is straight up out of Doctor Who.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I don't particularly care that makeup has to look like it's from the early 1980's, but it's a strange thing to totally revamp when the character to appear the most in Trek up to now is the Klingon character Worf with his 200+ episode appearances, and Voyager had a half Klingon as a main character.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I feel like it'd work if it wasn't quite so radical but I also think the new Klingon design is pretty cool on it's own.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

shadok posted:

This is straight up out of Doctor Who.

Holy poo poo I think you just cracked the entire code on Discovery - Doctor Who as understood by American executives. "Everything needs to be really busy and visually distinct! Weird poo poo we don't explain! Action cuts! Just enough connections to the old stuff to keep the fans arguing!"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't think I'd mind the starship so much if the nacelle struts were thinner, more like say an F-14's wings (or the Constitution refit), and angled a little higher so the nacelles are above the saucer rather than below.

But what, the Klingons are spider themed now?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's not a bad species design. The makeup is good for Trek. (The big nails are dumb and cliché as mentioned and the armor is meh)

But why make the Klingons so radically different? Why use an existing thing and change it rather than a wholly new thing?

It's not a make or break on its own but it's such a distracting change and probably also indicative of other unnecessary and bad choices.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's not like his design is that far off spec:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That Klingon looks like a lovely Warhammer figure. All black with some drybrushing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's this. This whole project is basically Enterprise filtered through the lens of JJTrek as far as I can tell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but that's not a really favorable comparison either. The change was just as pointless there and this one is even bigger, especially since they are far more central to the series than they were to the JJ movies

Am I the only one that doesn't hate the ship profile? It's sort of ugly I guess, but some things are. The holes seem dumb right now but I'm waiting to see if there is a reasonable design rationale. (there probably won't be)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Different Klingon houses having different styles could be cool. I'm guessing that it will start out with wishful thinking like that until the budget kicks in and that one style is the only one they can afford.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Different Klingon houses having different styles could be cool. I'm guessing that it will start out with wishful thinking like that until the budget kicks in and that one style is the only one they can afford.

My deepest fear for the show is that these klingons are somehow kazon 2.0

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That Klingon looks like a lovely Warhammer figure. All black with some drybrushing.

The discovery klinger looks deep blue to me..

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, but that's not a really favorable comparison either.

Eh, JJTrek has plenty of problems, but it was gorgeous.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bloop posted:

My deepest fear for the show is that these klingons are somehow kazon 2.0

I can't get past how loving dumb that coat(?) is. Why are there teeth on it? To reflect their sawblade heritage? How do they not get broken off every time they go through a door? How does he not get stuck to every chair he sits in? What does it add?! :psyduck:

The pointless busy-ness really sums it up. Even at their most ceremonial, Klingon outfits have always had a basic line and functionality:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Maybe different Klingon houses reacted to the Augment virus in different ways: some embraced it and became smoothskins; others fought it with weird drugs and various sketchy bullshit and got kinda hosed up (the JJ dudes, the Discovery dudes, and maybe even the Albino); a few played around with cosmetic surgery. But by the time of Search For Spock the empire finally found a cure or just forced everyone to start wearing retro 22nd century forehead fashions.

The streets of the First City that we never see all have a forehead loaf shop on every corner. Loaf styles for every season!

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Don't remind of that virus. Probably the worst retcon to some out of Enterprise. It was better as a tongue in cheek joke in Deep Space 9.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evek posted:

Don't remind of that virus. Probably the worst retcon to some out of Enterprise. It was better as a tongue in cheek joke in Deep Space 9.

It wasn't a retcon. If anything it was repairing a retcon. That doesn't mean it was good - although I don't think it was all that bad, honestly.

Unnecessary? Bigly.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evek posted:

I still wish they had just switched Michael Dorn over to the TOS makeup when he was on the station and back to the regular makeup when he was on the Defiant and had no one comment on it at all.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Trickjaw posted:

The discovery klinger looks deep blue to me..

Not Klinger, it's Klingot.

The copying from Doctor who continues, but it's good that we have more Bluish representation in media and entertainment. That's more important than canon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

I still wish they had just switched Michael Dorn over to the TOS makeup when he was on the station and back to the regular makeup when he was on the Defiant and had no one comment on it at all.

That would have been great, but what they did was pretty great too.

edit: might as well crosspost this nonsense here:

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they seem to be making the more aggressive Klingons way darker than the "nicer" Klingons we've already seen?