Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
It'll be funny when this bill ends up having no supporters at the vote, save a sad turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Did McConnell stick his neck out too far here in hubris?

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Thanks to my senators Mitch and Rand <3.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Are you loving kidding me

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I still think Heller would have killed the bill, the conservatives just blinked first.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Glazier posted:

No, Presidents endorse and stump for downticket candidates all the time.

It's rare for them to get involved in primaries, though, and more so against incumbents, isn't it?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
So, it's really obvious that the eighth person was Mitch, right?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It'll be funny when this bill ends up having no supporters at the vote, save a sad turtle.

McConnell will actually have to vote against it for procedural reasons, so that he has the right to bring it up again. Maybe that doesn't apply to the MTP vote tho.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
Now we get to see if the Koch's blink on their threat of withholding money pending an ACA repeal and tax cuts.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Ralepozozaxe posted:

You know what'd be even funnier?

If a scenario like Rigel hypothesized on the last page really did happen, orchestrated by the sad turtle because even HE recognized it's dead but has to protect the senate from Trump.

Rigel posted:

Its actually a very clever move and smells like something worked out behind the scenes. At some point everyone knew the bill was dead, but they were scared of Trump attacking moderates. Collins and Paul grabbed the hall passes, but they didn't want Trump going off on Heller. Lee and Moran are pretty safe and probably can't be primaried, especially if they are going with the "not evil enough" public reason. If a flood of no's follow them, they give cover to the moderates in the herd while spreading Trump's ire evenly between Moran and Lee.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Rigel posted:

McConnell will actually have to vote against it for procedural reasons, so that he has the right to bring it up again. Maybe that doesn't apply to the MTP vote tho.

God the senate rules are such dumb bullshit calvinball

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This should be good. Rick Wilson will be a less-amusing follow when Trump is gone and the #NeverTrumpers rejoin the party.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/887119627817545733

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rigel posted:

This should be good. Rick Wilson will be a less-amusing follow when Trump is gone and the #NeverTrumpers rejoin the party.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/887119627817545733

They didn't work out it was a work and worked themselves into a shoot, mark.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bueno Papi posted:

McCain got brain surgery as a move to block McConnell. Very Maverick.

Anything to avoid having a spine

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tir McDohl posted:

God the senate rules are such dumb bullshit calvinball

Its also why political groups who score votes and issue report cards have to be very careful with scoring a senate majority leader's vote. Harry Reid had to vote no for a lot of legislation that progressives should want because he just didn't quite have the votes and needed to be able to bring it up later.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Robot Hobo posted:

But do they usually spend $10 million dollars to do it? I guess I'm just unclear where this money is coming from.

Well they don't spend their personal money, but I'm sure Trump isn't either. He's probably just teamed with the NRCC and is helping them vet challengers.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
So, any idea how likely it is the donors are serious about cutting them off for not acquiring the human sacrifices for their nefarious ritual to summon tax cuts?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

AegisP posted:

It might be because of McCain, but a few hours ago TPM had this on Johnson:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/887093239123251201

So Johnson found out via the press about McConnell telling senators that the Medicaid cuts wouldn't ever actually go into effect, he doublechecked the story with his colleagues, found out it was true, and went "gently caress you McConnell" and withdrew his support :lol:

To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Glazier posted:

Well they don't spend their personal money, but I'm sure Trump isn't either. He's probably just teamed with the NRCC and is helping them vet challengers.

The NRCC is not going to spend money primarying members of their own party. Its probably some dumb Trumpey MAGA superpac.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So this is what happens when you elect a bunch of anti intellectual know nothing gun nuts

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Obviously I hoped this would fail, but I never dreamed it would fail for such a satisfying reason.

Sneakster posted:

So, any idea how likely it is the donors are serious about cutting them off for not acquiring the human sacrifices for their nefarious ritual to summon tax cuts?
I was wondering that too. What are they going to take from the people now as a replacement sacrifice to appease their masters? What's big enough and vulnerable enough?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Was Jeff Flake going to vote against the bill or something what the hell.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rigel posted:

Its actually a very clever move and smells like something worked out behind the scenes. At some point everyone knew the bill was dead, but they were scared of Trump attacking moderates. Collins and Paul grabbed the hall passes, but they didn't want Trump going off on Heller. Lee and Moran are pretty safe and probably can't be primaried, especially if they are going with the "not evil enough" public reason. If a flood of no's follow them, they give cover to the moderates in the herd while spreading Trump's ire evenly between Moran and Lee.

I think you may be giving everyone involved here too much credit. If it's true that McConnell was lying to moderates to get their votes then it seems like this is exactly as much of a clusterfuck as it appears to be. McConnell counted on moderate Republicans caving, but ultimately everything got blown up by a few nutjobs anyway.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jaxyon posted:

Are you loving kidding me

That was actually a really common argument behind the scenes in the days leading up to the House version of the BCRA. One of the Tea Party dipshit Reps from my state gave the game away when he talked about it on a local talk show; apparently a lot of the Reps were only going forward with adding in Medicaid cuts tied to an option for governors to pull the trigger after privately being assured by their state governor that they would not pull the trigger. Each of them wanted to pocket the savings from Medicaid cuts as long as someone else's constituents were paying the price for those cuts.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Bueno Papi posted:

41% of Republicans would probably be ok putting poor people in camps and working them to death. You're looking at the tail end of regressive right in that polling.

That wouldn't surprise me, but everyone knows people with pre-existing conditions, grandparents, children, neighbors, etc. It hurts themselves/their own family significantly, but the adage that "Republicans will eat a bowl of poo poo to make liberals smell their breath" is truer than I sanely comprehend.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Robot Hobo posted:

I was wondering that too. What are they going to take from the people now as a replacement sacrifice to appease their masters? What's big enough and vulnerable enough?

They will shower their masters with 10 year sunsetting temporary tax cuts, and they will probably be reluctantly appeased as our deficit blows the gently caress up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ague Proof posted:

Trump disrespects McCain because he wasn't Made In America.

Also applies to his feeling about Ted Cruz and his dad.

Good. Eat yourselves you fuckers, because lord knows the Democratic Party can't get its poo poo together and is seen as functionally worthless aside from being Not-Trump/GOP:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/07/16/National-Politics/Polling/question_18939.xml

Jaxyon posted:

People actually liked him, all he had to do was show up

The 2010 election would like to have a word with you about this.

Bueno Papi posted:

Protecting pre-existing conditions polls insanely high: 59% for Republicans and 68% for independents. It'd be political suicide.

http://www.kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/kaiser-health-tracking-poll-june-2017-aca-replacement-plan-and-medicaid/

Political suicide? Do you think these Republicans and 'independents' are going to just up and vote for Democrats? That party cares about things like minorities, keeping guns out of the hands of insane people, and providing a social safety net by taxing the millionaire class I could one day join! :gop:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

So this is what happens when you elect a bunch of anti intellectual know nothing gun nuts

They are diverse. They are inclusive of god-bothering shitwheel zealots!

e- Speaking of, thank god Santorum has somehow been a million miles away from this.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Sneakster posted:

Was there ever a serious push from donors in favor of Trumpcare? The insurance companies hated it. The Koch brothers started a fund to protect Republicans who voted against the health care bill. The Heritage Foundation came out against the original Trumpcare bill before plunging into civil war.

It always seemed like the biggest proponents of GOP health care reform was Trump (occasionally), Paul Ryan, and the nagging fear in back of every Republican's mind that they had campaigned for years on repealing Obamacare so passing *anything* is better than nothing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

coyo7e posted:

Then how do you feel about you yourself making poo poo up about other posters and then posting it and acting like it's true? Drop it you boob

I had entirely forgotten about your existence until this post, you wretched 'gater troll.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, in 3 or 4 weeks, the CBO will finish their analysis and will, seemingly randomly, remind the country how badly the GOP wanted to gently caress them over.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

republicans being unable to pass a drat thing is just SO "gathering of cartoon villains unable to agree how to gently caress over the good guys so they start in-fighting and destroying eachother"

i kind of love it but im also kind of nervous

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AegisP posted:

It might be because of McCain, but a few hours ago TPM had this on Johnson:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/887093239123251201

So Johnson found out via the press about McConnell telling senators that the Medicaid cuts wouldn't ever actually go into effect, he doublechecked the story with his colleagues, found out it was true, and went "gently caress you McConnell" and withdrew his support :lol:

This does not really support the idea that McConnell is good at his job, at least to me

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

GamingHyena posted:

Was there ever a serious push from donors in favor of Trumpcare? The insurance companies hated it. The Koch brothers started a fund to protect Republicans who voted against the health care bill. The Heritage Foundation came out against the original Trumpcare bill before plunging into civil war.

It always seemed like the biggest proponents of GOP health care reform was Trump (occasionally), Paul Ryan, and the nagging fear in back of every Republican's mind that they had campaigned for years on repealing Obamacare so passing *anything* is better than nothing.

It was too stupid and too obvious to appease the donor class correctly, but they are effectively powerless right now in the party of Trump. Any overt move they'd make against him and he'd be pulling his people's tyrant bullshit out and nailing the kochs on the wall to replace them with a Russian oligarch or some other bullshit. Just look at what he's proclaiming to do Flake for christ's sake.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

GamingHyena posted:

and the nagging fear in back of every Republican's mind that they had campaigned for years on repealing Obamacare so passing *anything* is better than nothing.

Thats it. They whipped this horse to electoral success for so long, but they shockingly didn't have a plan for what to do if they win everything. The reasons they gave for hating Obamacare (high premiums, bad coverage, high deductibles) were problems they had no intention of fixing, and a decent chunk of Trump voters probably expected them to deliver bigger, better, more comprehensive coverage for less money.

If they do nothing and go "never mind, we can't repeal Obamacare, too many people would be hurt", then all of a sudden millions of voters who don't loving pay attention will suddenly realize that the GOP has been lying to them for nearly a decade about their biggest winning campaign issue.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/839883804315684864

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rigel posted:

The NRCC is not going to spend money primarying members of their own party. Its probably some dumb Trumpey MAGA superpac.

You're right I should have just said outside group.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

republicans being unable to pass a drat thing is just SO "gathering of cartoon villains unable to agree how to gently caress over the good guys so they start in-fighting and destroying eachother"

i kind of love it but im also kind of nervous

They've got plenty of time to get this through with the "infinite monkeys" approach. Maybe bill #14 will be convoluted enough to fool the moderates and satisfy the evil.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rigel posted:

Thats it. They whipped this horse to electoral success for so long, but they shockingly didn't have a plan for what to do if they win everything. The reasons they gave for hating Obamacare (high premiums, bad coverage, high deductibles) were problems they had no intention of fixing, and a decent chunk of Trump voters probably expected them to deliver bigger, better, more comprehensive coverage for less money.

If they do nothing and go "never mind, we can't repeal Obamacare, too many people would be hurt", then all of a sudden millions of voters who don't loving pay attention will suddenly realize that the GOP has been lying to them for nearly a decade about their biggest winning campaign issue.

Lol if you think republican voters are capable of realizing they're being lied to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

He's not wrong. The ACHA imploding due to GOP in-fighting is a beautiful picture. :buddy:

• Locked thread