Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh see in Star trek, evil is a black substance that lives under the skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

Oh see in Star trek, evil is a black substance that lives under the skin

explain the episode title "skin of evil" then

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

cheetah7071 posted:

It's like the skin on a pudding...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Maybe I'm handing in my nerd card here, but after 20 years of the same stuff I think it's kind of cool to see a reinterpretation of different designs. :shrug: I feel like I should withhold judgement on the aesthetic until I see if/how it actually compliments the story material.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cheetah7071 posted:

that's what I was referencing, by shedding this "skin of evil" (the black substance under the skin) it becomes a mass of black evil stuff

I mean it's not literal skin, just literal physical evil, thus SCIENCE fiction

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Maybe I'm handing in my nerd card here, but after 20 years of the same stuff I think it's kind of cool to see a reinterpretation of different designs. :shrug: I feel like I should withhold judgement on the aesthetic until I see if/how it actually compliments the story material.

This wouldn't be an issue at all if it wasn't explicitly in continuity

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean it honestly doesn't strike me as that different as what happened between TOS and TNG. It's more radical but it's still the same type of thing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Bloop posted:

Yeah. It's super weird to explicitly not do a reboot or a reimagining, but then go ahead and arbitrarily reimagine things anyway. It's even weirder since there was no reason they had to use Klingons as a centerpiece of this show at all. TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY all put Klingons front and center, so they could have easily just focused on something actually new and different. I had the same issue with JJTrek's weird halfway reboot that still felt a need to connect itself back to Star Trek canon.

I dunno, maybe my problem is that I just really hate that armor.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Discovery has to be in some wack rear end timeline that Janeway caused

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

they could have easily just focused on something actually new and different

If they did this they wouldn't be making Star Trek at all. It is inherent in any sequel that we will see an intermingling of the new and the old.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 18, 2017

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they seem to be making the more aggressive Klingons way darker than the "nicer" Klingons we've already seen?

Why do you assume the regal looking guy standing at a podium is more aggressive? Dude looks like a noble.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Firebert posted:

Why do you assume the regal looking guy standing at a podium is more aggressive? Dude looks like a noble.

Well "more aggressive" in the sense that they're going to be portrayed as adversaries and not as tense allies. I'll admit I'm picking hairs, but there's unfortunately too many "darker skin = more evil" examples in genre fiction already.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Tron posted:

I don't particularly care that makeup has to look like it's from the early 1980's, but it's a strange thing to totally revamp when the character to appear the most in Trek up to now is the Klingon character Worf with his 200+ episode appearances, and Voyager had a half Klingon as a main character.

You know what species has been showcased even more? Humans. Now there's a makeup design just begging to be revamped.

Smooth forehead and round ears, real original. :rolleyes:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Well "more aggressive" in the sense that they're going to be portrayed as adversaries and not as tense allies. I'll admit I'm picking hairs, but there's unfortunately too many "darker skin = more evil" examples in genre fiction already.

Oh, I assumed you were comparing him to the other Discovery Klingons we've seen that are lighter skinned. They seem to be a lot more racially divergent than the TNG/DS9 Klingons were.

And I doubt they will be protrayed as evil. Klingons have been at war with the Federation in previous series and were never evil per se.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"And Jedi is the most insulting installment! Because Vader's beautiful black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty, old white man! They tryin' to tell us that deep inside we all wants to be white!"

"Well isn't that true?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Astroman posted:

"And Jedi is the most insulting installment! Because Vader's beautiful black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty, old white man! They tryin' to tell us that deep inside we all wants to be white!"

"Well isn't that true?"

That dude totally had a point.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

WampaLord posted:

That dude totally had a point.

Except you first see Vader's pasty, white skin in Empire when you see him in his meditation chamber. :spergin:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I guess I never really felt like the greasepaint butt-heads and fake leather armor were textually important enough (or aesthetically all that great enough) to be permanently etched into my idea of what the characters should be. I always figured that— kind of like with the 60's Mongolian Klingons— that look only came about because it's what they had the means/budget to do at the time.

Plus, planets and galaxies are big places. Who's to say on some continent in Kronos they don't do cranial mutilation and wear weird spiderweb suits?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Does anyone remember that Klingon sarcophagus ship that got leaked ages ago? If the Klingons we've seen come from that, then I'd be ok with it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It also just occurred to me that if I was some studio guy in charge of something like Star Trek, I'd probably gently caress with the design too partly to get some cheap media from the nerd rage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's like Trump pretending to drive a fire truck. I may not be upset about the Klingons but it makes me doubt whether any of the decisions made will be good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Does anyone remember that Klingon sarcophagus ship that got leaked ages ago? If the Klingons we've seen come from that, then I'd be ok with it.
I agree with (and have said) this. They could be some rare offshoot like klingon remans or whatever that were conquered and are never seen later.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It also just occurred to me that if I was some studio guy in charge of something like Star Trek, I'd probably gently caress with the design too partly to get some cheap media from the nerd rage.

Yeah I guess it gets some headlines but pissing off Trek fans is a bad move. Trek has a small enough loyal audience as it is.

Not that anyone seems enraged, just frustrated with seemingly pointless or detrimental choices.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sir Kodiak posted:

If they did this they wouldn't be making Star Trek at all. It is inherent in any sequel that we will see an intermingling of the new and the old.

This is like saying that DS9 wasn't really Star Trek because the Dominion was a new concept or Voyager wasn't really Star Trek because the Delta Quadrant was "new." I'm not saying they can't do Klingons, I'm saying that nobody was holding a gun to their head to use Klingons as a central part of the show's main arc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

This is like saying that DS9 wasn't really Star Trek because the Dominion was a new concept or Voyager wasn't really Star Trek because the Delta Quadrant was "new." I'm not saying they can't do Klingons, I'm saying that nobody was holding a gun to their head to use Klingons as a central part of the show's main arc.

Nah, because I'm saying we should be cool with new things, like the new design of the Klingons. But you have to expect them to ground those new things in familiar things, like having a major antagonist race called "the Klingons."

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I guess it gets some headlines but pissing off Trek fans is a bad move. Trek has a small enough loyal audience as it is.

Trek having only a small audience of loyalists is why continuity to the TV shows instead of the movies isn't a huge concern.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I always figured that— kind of like with the 60's Mongolian Klingons— that look only came about because it's what they had the means/budget to do at the time.

This is correct.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 18, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Change that awful spiderweb armor and give them some beards and i'd suddenly dislike the new design a lot less.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The spiderweb armor is beautiful and totally appropriate as ceremonial dress.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Didn't hit me at first but the new Klingons are totally Scarrans. Good to see the Discovery team borrow from the best Trek, Farscape.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they seem to be making the more aggressive Klingons way darker than the "nicer" Klingons we've already seen?

lol if that is even in the top 20 reasons to be very skeptical of this show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly looks more like they're slapping familiar names on completely different stuff, which is always a bad sign. I'm reminded of the 1950s XCOM FPS they desperately changed and pushed back because the fans universally hated it, especially when the remake was finally announced and completely stole its thunder. It means they can't be arsed being accurate to the established original aesthetics and setting, and don't have faith in their own new stuff to be popular on its own merits, and also assume the fans to be drooling morons who can't tell the difference. (and they can. Literal children can tell when you're slapping a familiar name onto an unfamiliar thing.)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

Honestly looks more like they're slapping familiar names on completely different stuff, which is always a bad sign. I'm reminded of the 1950s XCOM FPS they desperately changed and pushed back because the fans universally hated it, especially when the remake was finally announced and completely stole its thunder. It means they can't be arsed being accurate to the established original aesthetics and setting, and don't have faith in their own new stuff to be popular on its own merits, and also assume the fans to be drooling morons who can't tell the difference. (and they can. Literal children can tell when you're slapping a familiar name onto an unfamiliar thing.)

Kind of like how Caprica was a totally different show, but BSG was popular so they called the robots Cylons and threw in family names like Adama.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Firebert posted:

Didn't hit me at first but the new Klingons are totally Scarrans. Good to see the Discovery team borrow from the best Trek, Farscape.

As far as I can tell Farscape was the only good post-TNG sci fi show.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

DS9 was great, dammit.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Eh, JJTrek has plenty of problems, but it was gorgeous.

No it wasn't

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

As far as I can tell Farscape was the only good post-TNG sci fi show.

B5

DS9

Lexx

BSG

Supposedly, The Expanse, but I haven't seen it to say.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Expanse is great. So is Legion.

Tighclops posted:

No it wasn't

http://i.imgur.com/wRmiBEO.gifv

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

B5

DS9

Lexx

BSG

Supposedly, The Expanse, but I haven't seen it to say.

Yes I'm aware of those.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yes I'm aware of those.

Stone cold. :(

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Evek posted:

Don't remind of that virus. Probably the worst retcon to some out of Enterprise. It was better as a tongue in cheek joke in Deep Space 9.

I still think DS9 did it wrong. I think it would have been far more clever to have Worf suddenly looking like TOS Klingons while they were in the 23rd century, then looking like normal again as soon as they're in the 24th century, and nobody notices or comments on it.

EDIT: although I bet Rick Berman would have thrown a huge fit about the possibility of Uncle Derpy tuning in midway through the episode and getting real confused and sending cranky letters to the studio

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Why do they think everyones favorite part of Star Trek is pre-TOS rear end in a top hat Vulcans and meeting the Klingons for the first time.

Was the assholishness only pre-TOS? Vulcans seemed plenty assholish post-TOS and also in TOS.

For example, Spock's forced betrothed bride (and come to think of it, the whole concept of forced marriage), where she engineered a situation in which Spock would either die or murder his best friend and be emotionally shattered, so either way she'd get out of the marriage and get to keep banging her boyfriend. Instead of, you know, just saying "yo I'm not really into this can we call off the wedding".

Or JJ Trek's Vulcan Nazi Science Academy, and the fact that TOS Sarek seems to share their opinion of Starfleet.

Or Sisko's nemesis, that Vulcan captain who spent his entire career writing papers about Vulcan racial superiority, and was so obsessed with it that he forced his crew to learn an old obsolete sportsball game just to prove that Vulcans are better at Earth sports.

Spock always seemed like the exception, as though his half-human heritage and the absurd over-the-top racism he endured from other Vulcans his entire life made him more empathetic and humble than your typical dickhole Vulcan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still think DS9 did it wrong. I think it would have been far more clever to have Worf suddenly looking like TOS Klingons while they were in the 23rd century, then looking like normal again as soon as they're in the 24th century, and nobody notices or comments on it.

I happen to completely agree.