Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

what is with this thread and not getting obvious jokes

Because the "obvious jokes" are indistinguishable from actual terrible opinions people who play this game have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

apostateCourier posted:

Because the "obvious jokes" are indistinguishable from actual terrible opinions people who play this game have.

This has been the case for every joke ever made

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

meiram posted:

She, and I may have been glibly exaggerating based on spoilers I read in this thread. Whatevs it is, I'll take it.

Nah, just some of them. And most of Heavensward's body count is made up of assholes who deserve it. :commissar:

Most. :smith:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Nah, just some of them. And most of Heavensward's body count is made up of assholes who deserve it. :commissar:

Most. :smith:

You're right, charibert did nothing wrong.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Let he who has not purged sickness cast the first tomestone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Does anyone remember if tomes of folklore for gathering in hw had items added over time or if they always had more than the one per book they seem to have in sb? I assume the stuff there is to gather will become more valuable when they add the crafting recipes, but one item per book is still pretty unexciting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's worth noting at this point that dps balance is extremely off right now, tank balance is extremely off right now, and healer balance is actually kind of decent (all three of the healers have a place in a party)

guess which one of those three everyone was screaming their heads off about

MNK? :v:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Does anyone remember if tomes of folklore for gathering in hw had items added over time or if they always had more than the one per book they seem to have in sb? I assume the stuff there is to gather will become more valuable when they add the crafting recipes, but one item per book is still pretty unexciting.

Items were added.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two weeks in and pubbies are still wiping in incredibly embarrassing ways on Halicarnassus. I hope Savage Halicarnassus is wild enough to break FCs apart.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Skaw posted:

Items were added.

Cool, thanks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I really do wonder how they're gonna do Savage Helicarnassus. There are SO MANY OPTIONS to make that fight hell, it's kinda insane.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Give me race, class and combination squares. Covering the whole area.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Two weeks in and pubbies are still wiping in incredibly embarrassing ways on Halicarnassus. I hope Savage Halicarnassus is wild enough to break FCs apart.

I've actually only ever seen a wipe on the second one and that was the first day when people didn't get tentacles. A lot of DPSes eat poo poo in Haley but usually not to a wipe state.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

All the Black Mages and Bards who position themselves like they're allergic to being near the boss are just making things harder on themselves most of the time

The correct place to stand is just outside the circular AoE that fucks over melees in every boss. If the boss doesn't have one of those just stack with everyone

These fuckers only get courtesy healing whenever I feel like it. If the tank and both dps aren't in range of aspected benefic at most times, then gently caress everyone.

EDIT: Leveling ast right now and got stuck with a bard/blm combowombo in Doma Castle, both decided they not only had to be at extreme range of the bosses at all times, but in opposite directions, probably the most angry healing I've ever done.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 18, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Infinity Gaia posted:

I really do wonder how they're gonna do Savage Helicarnassus. There are SO MANY OPTIONS to make that fight hell, it's kinda insane.

The first step will be removing the AoE indicators, like in Zurvan

What the second step is though is anybody's guess

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I expect there to be bits that require some people to get frogged, with only one role being safe. So like one part will require your tanks/dps to get frogged, but there will be two Healer tiles so neither of them can get hit. That's just the baby version though I'm sure it'll get a lot weirder.

Also fun fact for those who didn't know - if you have someone on every tile with the correct role then you get a big boost to your limit break gauge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

Also fun fact for those who didn't know - if you have someone on every tile with the correct role then you get a big boost to your limit break gauge.

I was wondering why there were two DPS tiles

The real mean thing to do would be to give people debuffs of some kind, then have tiles with those icons. Like the frog tiles, but adding in things like damage down, defense down, paralyze, etc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I expect there to be bits that require some people to get frogged, with only one role being safe. So like one part will require your tanks/dps to get frogged, but there will be two Healer tiles so neither of them can get hit. That's just the baby version though I'm sure it'll get a lot weirder.

Huh, is that also what the prize is for finishing the maze quick?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Finish quickly and find out ;)

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, is that also what the prize is for finishing the maze quick?

Nope, that gets you damage up and haste.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Casting 3 Enchanted Moulinets should let you cast an AOE finisher.

Vergravity

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Verholy and Verflare should just be AoEs (and be enabled when you cast 3 E. Moulinets).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Casting 3 Enchanted Moulinets should let you cast an AOE finisher.

Vergravity

gravity isn't a white or black magic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verultima

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Infinity Gaia posted:

my hope: one of the tiles on the board becomes an empty square, and the boards starts to shuffle around using that hole. if you fall into the hole, you die, and all the events still happen on the original tiles, they've just been shuffled about randomly each time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Verultima

only if BLMs get ultima first :colbert:

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Infinity Gaia posted:

Instead of everyone being forced to run in the same direction, you all get your own debuff that tells you which way you're gonna run.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Infinity Gaia posted:

4x4 grid instead of 2x2 is obvious.

The surprise is that your grid position is determined a few seconds ahead of time by a Gavel-esque mechanic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I've actually only ever seen a wipe on the second one and that was the first day when people didn't get tentacles. A lot of DPSes eat poo poo in Haley but usually not to a wipe state.

That particular group kept dying and being resurrected so often that they had barely any damage. We used Healer LB3. We still hit enrage.

A lot of people seemingly have trouble / don't care to be bothered with the role icons/frog mechanic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

That particular group kept dying and being resurrected so often that they had barely any damage. We used Healer LB3. We still hit enrage.

A lot of people seemingly have trouble / don't care to be bothered with the role icons/frog mechanic.
Please say her enrage is turning everyone into a frog.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

ImpAtom posted:

Please say her enrage is turning everyone into a frog.

Her enrage is her doing the frog squares, but refusing to turn you into one.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ImpAtom posted:

Verultima
Yes....

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Think we'll get a super holy or just...pearl?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can't say this wouldn't explain a lot of Lakshmi Vril Fails I've seen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Isn't Pearl is just Holy with a weird translation?
Also I appreciate that verholy has the balls of light spinning down just before the beam of light like classic FF game Holies.

Exdeath's Flare and Holy spells used classic animations too and I loved it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't Pearl is just Holy with a weird translation?
Also I appreciate that verholy has the balls of light spinning down just before the beam of light like classic FF game Holies.

Exdeath's Flare and Holy spells used classic animations too and I loved it.

Nintendo was really obsessive about cutting anything even vaguely religious out of NES/SNES games. Lufia II was probably the best example, with FRY and DARK FRY, and your war against the four rear end in a top hat gods Super Beings.

Also, the best spells are anything that uses white noise as a sound effect, like Deathflare or pretty much everything the Cloud of Darkness does.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Countblanc posted:

again, I don't actually think Verraise needs a nerf, the situations where you need to spam it AND can recover after having done so is basically a single-point list that says "raid fights without enrages" which isn't exactly challenging content in the first place. but i see it brought up constantly when talking about RDM utility vs the other casters and as Reiter has mentioned before SE isn't opposed to listening to the community

The problem isn't really the raises, although having an instant cast raise that is always available is incredibly helpful provided they only need to use it once or twice in a fight since it frees up swiftcast usage and MP for the healers. The problem with RDM's utility, as I see it, is that they get a group damage buff on top of beating the other casters in overall damage. To add insult to injury, said group damage buff does not benefit other casters in any way, thus encouraging dumping any and all other caster DPS for RDMs instead and physical damage classes instead. I don't get why they do this sort of thing that limits valid compositions like that. Embolden, brotherhood, that should all affect magic damage too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Obligatum VII posted:

The problem isn't really the raises, although having an instant cast raise that is always available is incredibly helpful provided they only need to use it once or twice in a fight since it frees up swiftcast usage and MP for the healers. The problem with RDM's utility, as I see it, is that they get a group damage buff on top of beating the other casters in overall damage. To add insult to injury, said group damage buff does not benefit other casters in any way, thus encouraging dumping any and all other caster DPS for RDMs instead and physical damage classes instead. I don't get why they do this sort of thing that limits valid compositions like that. Embolden, brotherhood, that should all affect magic damage too.

oh cool i didn't know mrhappy posted here

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Can't say this wouldn't explain a lot of Lakshmi Vril Fails I've seen.

{ Be wary of amazing chest. }

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thundarr posted:

4x4 grid instead of 2x2 is obvious.

The surprise is that your grid position is determined a few seconds ahead of time by a Gavel-esque mechanic.

3x3 grid, only one character per tile, with 2 tank 2 healer 4 dps for 8 of the tiles and the 9th one being a wildcard (or trap).

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Nintendo was really obsessive about cutting anything even vaguely religious out of NES/SNES games. Lufia II was probably the best example, with FRY and DARK FRY, and your war against the four rear end in a top hat gods Super Beings.

Also, the best spells are anything that uses white noise as a sound effect, like Deathflare or pretty much everything the Cloud of Darkness does.

As a kid, fighting a group called the Sinestrals was cooler than if they'd just been called gods. :colbert: