Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So far as I know, both P1 and P2 had their encounter rates tweaked from the PS1 days... but are still really high in comparison to 3-5. The first Persona game also uses first-person mode for its giant maze dungeons and has combat that just craaaawls. Innocent Sin is the one I'd still consider worth playing, but don't take my word for it--there are ongoing LPs of both games, so you can decide for yourself if they're worth putting up with the clunkiness.

Edit: as far as social stats go, you never get any hints as to when they're close to leveling which is super annoying the first time through. Especially since they level at different rates (Guts is the fastest, Knowledge is slowest but you get the most opportunities to grind it). I'm being vague here to avoid spoilers but I would try to hits Guts 3 as soon as possible, and try to save up 100,000 yen by the time you beat the 3rd palace--both of those will pay long term dividends when it comes to ranking up stats and confidants. Also use the best fertilizer you can find on the plant in your room. It's one of the few stat uppers that doesn't use any time.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

All the games barring like P4G are gonna feel really clunky after P5 honestly.

Does P4Golden add or change something from the original release that makes it more streamlined or something?

Rangpur posted:

So far as I know, both P1 and P2 had their encounter rates tweaked from the PS1 days... but are still really high in comparison to 3-5. The first Persona game also uses first-person mode for its giant maze dungeons and has combat that just craaaawls. Innocent Sin is the one I'd still consider worth playing, but don't take my word for it--there are ongoing LPs of both games, so you can decide for yourself if they're worth putting up with the clunkiness.

Edit: as far as social stats go, you never get any hints as to when they're close to leveling which is super annoying the first time through. Especially since they level at different rates (Guts is the fastest, Knowledge is slowest but you get the most opportunities to grind it). I'm being vague here to avoid spoilers but I would try to hits Guts 3 as soon as possible, and try to save up 100,000 yen by the time you beat the 3rd palace--both of those will pay long term dividends when it comes to ranking up stats and confidants. Also use the best fertilizer you can find on the plant in your room. It's one of the few stat uppers that doesn't use any time.

I'll have to check those LPs out when I get time. Thanks.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 17, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Does P4Golden add or change something from the original release that makes it more streamlined or something?

The ability to select skills passed down was a major addition along with being able to go out at night. If you've only played Persona 3 Portable, a lot of the old system was replaced with Persona 4 things, like fast travel.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Compared to vanilla P4, P4G is significantly expanded. There's a new character who brings with her a new dungeon, and a new epilogue if you max out her social link, beat her dungeon, and get the True Ending. A lot of people think she's terrible, but luckily you're free to completely ignore her once the intro is over, and if you do so, her additions to the story will just not happen. On top of that there's another new social link with a character who was in the base game, and a bunch of new personas to fill out the two arcana those two social links represent.

There are a bunch of new events like a beach trip, a concert, a ski trip...

The game has also been made significantly easier in a number of ways - you get to choose which skills carry over when fusing, just like in P5, which you couldn't in standard P4. Shuffle Time (the way you acquire new Personas and various other bonuses) has been completely retooled in a way that is massively benificial for the player. The rare golden enemies that used to only give out big chunks of money now also give out equally massive amounts of EXP, meaning you basically have to go out of your way to avoid becoming hugely overleveled.

All your party members learn more diverse skill sets, and on top of normal skills, they also get skills through their social links, and you can spend time going on bike rides with them to teach them even more skills. Your navigator gets the ability to interfere in battles in a similar way to Futaba, with buffs, heals, etc - this also wasn't in vanilla P4. They also learn to restore up to 10% of your entire party's SP for every fight you win, letting you dungeon crawl basically forever.

Kanji gets Power Charge now.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 17, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Max Wilco posted:

It adds a ton of prototyped systems that were expanded in P5. Rise gets skills like Futaba to heal the party or buff it randomly and participates in All out attacks, greatly streamlines skill fusion and inheritance, adds the ability to turn demons into cards to pass their skills along etc.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh yeah, and skill cards are in it, I forgot that.

Plus there's a whole new area you can visit, which was previously only part of a few Social Link scenes.

Also, importantly - P4G has a huge pile of costumes for all the characters you can wear while dungeon crawling, and unlike Persona 5, none of them are DLC. They're just in the game, and you get them by playing the game. What a novel concept

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Uuuuuuuuugh stop making me wanna play Persona 4G I don't even have a Vita

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SatansBestBuddy posted:

i have two vitas and a pstv because i make good life choices

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You can always get a PlayStation TV and play Vita games on it!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I make it a rule to never buy a console until it has at least three exclusive games I want on it.

That's pretty much the only reason it took me until this year to actually get a PS4 since Bloodborne's been out for ages now and I really really wanted it but it's only been this year that other games I actually care about have been released.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vita TV was regularly under $50 through the end of manufacturing, then Persona 4 Golden was :10bux: on top of that.

Now if you get a new unit in western packaging they can be hacked to play every game released before last fall (plus a few hidden English translations used to translate to Chinese from Japanese) and even use a USB flash drive for storage. (Firmware 3.60 for those wondering)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I make it a rule to never buy a console until it has at least three exclusive games I want on it.

That's pretty much the only reason it took me until this year to actually get a PS4 since Bloodborne's been out for ages now and I really really wanted it but it's only been this year that other games I actually care about have been released.

Same goes for me; I had juggled the idea of whether or not to get a PS4 for a year or so. It was worth waiting though, since I got the PS4 Pro.

However, that's my issue with P4Golden; I don't have a PSVita, and I don't really have any intention of buying one. Is it available through Playstation Now or something?

EDIT: Back over to P5, I'm on day 5/10 right now. Looking at the Thieves' Guild activity, it says the average level is 13 (both on this day and on the previous), but I just hit Level 12 a little bit ago. The daily activities also show other people hanging out with Ann and I think the doctor (Takemi), but I don't think I've been able to hang out with either any yet due to not having high enough social skills. Did I do something wrong or am I underleveled?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 18, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nah, there's a decent amount of folks who follow a max s-link guide, so they probably have more guts and kindness than you right now. That thing might also track the activities of NG+ folks who have much higher stats too. Don't worry about it too much and just have fun.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It sucks that Haru's baton pass is gated behind max level proficiency, I'm only at 3
(Palace #6) I assume I'm in for a reaaalllly long ride if I send the calling card, much more so than usual?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Item Getter posted:

It sucks that Haru's baton pass is gated behind max level proficiency, I'm only at 3
(Palace #6) I assume I'm in for a reaaalllly long ride if I send the calling card, much more so than usual?

You can't send the calling card until the end, go game proficiency, it boosts real quick

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Try sending it anyway though. That'll open up party member S Links again.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arist posted:

You can't send the calling card until the end, go game proficiency, it boosts real quick

End meaning the deadline day for the whole "month"?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Item Getter posted:

End meaning the deadline day for the whole "month"?

The game forces you to send the calling card on the last possible day. You can reach the end, meet up and try sending the card, and the game will say "cool, that's nice, but wait until the last day to send it" at which point your friends more or less act as if the palace is finished. They'll still talk to you about how they're pumped, nervous, etc., but as stated above the s-links are no longer restricted in the way they normally are before the palace is finished (you have to try to send the calling card for this to happen). Then you just make it to the last day and finish the palace off like you normally would.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

With some of the confidants I speak to, I get the message, "I don't think my bond with [name] will deepen just yet." Does that mean that there's no point in hanging out with them until some other criteria is met, or do you have to hang out with them several times before the Confidant rank increases.

Additionally, should I be spending more time at the part-time jobs? I've only gone once (to the convenience store job), but it seems like the amount of money you get isn't that good, even at the highest paying one (the beef bowl shop).

Also, do you ever get access to the gym in Shibuya or the movie theater in Yongen-Jaya?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Max Wilco posted:

With some of the confidants I speak to, I get the message, "I don't think my bond with [name] will deepen just yet." Does that mean that there's no point in hanging out with them until some other criteria is met, or do you have to hang out with them several times before the Confidant rank increases.

Additionally, should I be spending more time at the part-time jobs? I've only gone once (to the convenience store job), but it seems like the amount of money you get isn't that good, even at the highest paying one (the beef bowl shop).

Also, do you ever get access to the gym in Shibuya or the movie theater in Yongen-Jaya?

There are a few that have plot gates to higher levels, Heirophant rank 5 is the biggest offender here, but usually it just means you need to hang out again to advance the confidant.

The part-time jobs all either unlock a confidant (the noodle shop) or Mementos sidequests later in the game. I wouldn't worry about them at all really.

You do get access to the gym and movie theater eventually. Make sure to do Ryuji and Ann's confidant for the gym.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Zore posted:

There are a few that have plot gates to higher levels, Heirophant rank 5 is the biggest offender here, but usually it just means you need to hang out again to advance the confidant.

The part-time jobs all either unlock a confidant (the noodle shop) or Mementos sidequests later in the game. I wouldn't worry about them at all really.

You do get access to the gym and movie theater eventually. Make sure to do Ryuji and Ann's confidant for the gym.

With the part-time jobs, I was mostly concerned with the money. I was sitting on a pretty good amount of cash, but I burned through it pretty quickly trying to upgrade everyone's gear. I mostly got melee weapons, though; everyone's firearms are lagging behind.

Speaking of party members, I managed to recruit Yusuke, and I'm going through the second dungeon (the museum). In terms of organizing the party, should I be specific about who I bring along, or should I just worry about switching people out if they get too injured or low on SP? Right now I'm thinking about leaving Morgana behind, but only because I'm wondering if Yusuke's abilities would fare better. I'll say that I do know that party members still get XP even if they're sitting on the sidelines (I think it's one of the Moon Confidant perks.)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The bulk of your damage dealing comes in the form of persona skills, both magical and physical. As melee attacks are weaker and don't cost anything, they're usually a backup option, so upgrading them isn't a top priority. That said, they do affect the strength of All-Out Attacks.

As far as party comp, bring whoever you like, you'll figure out elemental weaknesses and people's utility soon enough. So long as you have at least one person besides Joker that's capable of healing (Ann or Morgana) you'll be okay. You're right that you'll want to rotate out anybody who's out of SP. HP is a far less pressing concern considering how easy it is to get HP recovery items in comparison.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Xarbala posted:

The bulk of your damage dealing comes in the form of persona skills, both magical and physical. As melee attacks are weaker and don't cost anything, they're usually a backup option, so upgrading them isn't a top priority. That said, they do affect the strength of All-Out Attacks.

As far as party comp, bring whoever you like, you'll figure out elemental weaknesses and people's utility soon enough. So long as you have at least one person besides Joker that's capable of healing (Ann or Morgana) you'll be okay. You're right that you'll want to rotate out anybody who's out of SP. HP is a far less pressing concern considering how easy it is to get HP recovery items in comparison.

I've mainly been using the Persona skills, so I guess I've doing okay in that regard. The game says that firearm attacks do more damage, but it doesn't seem like they're much stronger. I only really use them when going for weaknesses. I guess maybe I have to fire as many shots as possible per turn in order for it to have a damage output that's decent, but upgrading the firearms is also really expensive.

Right now, I'm on the second boss fight (the museum painting boss/Shadow Madarame), and I can't seem to beat him. I've got it down that the eyes take physical damage, the mouth takes elemental damage, and the nose takes magic damage. I can get through the first phase, but I can't make it through the second phase (when you start getting affected by the condition that makes you weak to all affinities.) I tried reloading before the calling card and buying better armor (because I thought I was lagging behind in that regard), but it didn't seem to make much of a difference when I tried it again. I think that part of the issue might be trying to keep everyone at high health throughout the battle. I don't have the group heal spell (I did, but I lost it after a demon fusion).

I'm worried that I might be under-leveled (I'm at Level 16, though Yusuke is at Level 17, since he was one level higher than when he joined). I was thinking about delaying things a bit to go to Mementos and maybe run around the dungeon a bit more to gain some more cash and maybe get up to higher level to see if that helps.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I've mainly been using the Persona skills, so I guess I've doing okay in that regard. The game says that firearm attacks do more damage, but it doesn't seem like they're much stronger. I only really use them when going for weaknesses. I guess maybe I have to fire as many shots as possible per turn in order for it to have a damage output that's decent, but upgrading the firearms is also really expensive.

Right now, I'm on the second boss fight (the museum painting boss/Shadow Madarame), and I can't seem to beat him. I've got it down that the eyes take physical damage, the mouth takes elemental damage, and the nose takes magic damage. I can get through the first phase, but I can't make it through the second phase (when you start getting affected by the condition that makes you weak to all affinities.) I tried reloading before the calling card and buying better armor (because I thought I was lagging behind in that regard), but it didn't seem to make much of a difference when I tried it again. I think that part of the issue might be trying to keep everyone at high health throughout the battle. I don't have the group heal spell (I did, but I lost it after a demon fusion).

I'm worried that I might be under-leveled (I'm at Level 16, though Yusuke is at Level 17, since he was one level higher than when he joined). I was thinking about delaying things a bit to go to Mementos and maybe run around the dungeon a bit more to gain some more cash and maybe get up to higher level to see if that helps.

I didn't actually fight the palace 2 boss until i was level 21, because I was grinding to get some Strength Arcana requests out of the way.

This is probably a good time to tell you that you can update the entries of various persona in your Compendium, thereby allowing you to rewrite the default state of a persona with your new one, so if you lose an important skill from fusing away a persona you can resummon it with that skill back.

For that boss, I find having access to an all-target phys attack helps a lot. And I do mean a lot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I didn't actually fight the palace 2 boss until i was level 21, because I was grinding to get some Strength Arcana requests out of the way.
:stare: drat, I guess I'm really lagging behind in comparison.

Xarbala posted:

This is probably a good time to tell you that you can update the entries of various persona in your Compendium, thereby allowing you to rewrite the default state of a persona with your new one, so if you lose an important skill from fusing away a persona you can resummon it with that skill back.

For that boss, I find having access to an all-target phys attack helps a lot. And I do mean a lot.

I have been registering Persona whenever I visit the Velvet Room, and I was thinking about re-summoning the Persona with the group heal spell.

I think I do have a Persona that had an all-target physical attack. I think I tried it on one attempt, but the I realized it would heal/absorb the attack to the mouth. I also tend to avoid trying to use those attacks since they drain your HP. However, that sounds like it would be the best way to take out the eyes quickly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Phys attacks are really good, especially since it's often cheaper SP-wise to heal the HP than it is to deal magical damage directly

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah nuke down the rest of the face with phys, then focus down the mouth and heal up the phys attacker. Not only is it strong as heck, you'll be coming out ahead in terms of SP spent like CharlieFoxtrot says.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Rampage is really good for taking care of the eyes/nose. After they are gone you can focus fire down his mouth so don't worry about healing it with phys damage. Ryuji should get rampage at level 17 and you should also be able to fuse a persona with it around that level as well.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Once a party member gets targeted by the boss's special attack, have them guard. It will stop them getting knocked down and giving the boss another turn.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cnidaria posted:

Rampage is really good for taking care of the eyes/nose. After they are gone you can focus fire down his mouth so don't worry about healing it with phys damage. Ryuji should get rampage at level 17 and you should also be able to fuse a persona with it around that level as well.

That strategy (along with a little leveling) did the trick, and I was able to beat the boss easily.

Gotta say, it sure took a long time to actually get started with the third palace. The new enemies seem pretty tough, but maybe that's just because they're scripted encounters (it seems like enemies in scripted fights have different resistances/weakness compared to the ones in normal encounters)

The little 'Mission Start' that you see on the chalkboard seems new (but maybe I just didn't notice it before). I 'm also a little confused why the game's now telling me about improving Confidant relationships. Is that a sign that I need to make a push to improving the confidant relationships so I can get better fusion bonuses?

Also, Makoto's Persona reveal is totally rad. :allears:

One other thing: Are there multiple endings for the game? I'll say that I'm trying to steer clear of spoilers, but I'm curious if there's something you need to do to get a good ending (if there is one.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nothing like Persona's 4 nonsense thankfully. If you want to get the good ending, all you need to know is that the decision takes place after the 6th palace and the correct answers should be very, very obvious.

As for Confidants, the game doesn't really 'track' how well you're doing with them or anything it just like to make really, really sure you know they're important. (Temperance can save you a lot of time if you max it out fwiw.)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Finally beat it. Been playing since April, and what a trip. I haven't had the patience to put 70 hours in a game in ages, but everything about persona 5 made me want to keep playing until id won. This is also my first persona game in general (only a little bit of smt 4)and it was fantastic.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Kingtheninja posted:

Finally beat it. Been playing since April, and what a trip. I haven't had the patience to put 70 hours in a game in ages, but everything about persona 5 made me want to keep playing until id won. This is also my first persona game in general (only a little bit of smt 4)and it was fantastic.
I really hope the game clicks like that with me eventually, because I just got it at near full price (small Plus discount, 15$ in my wallet and 20% coupon), but the first 2-3 hours have been such a loving slog... It feels like I had to watch an hour of the slowest anime before having someone drag me by the wrist through the most linear dungeon in the world. My game clock says I've been playing for almost 3 hours and I feel like I haven't done anything. The dialogue choices are almost all the same and seem inconsequential, and my fighting options are so limited that I feel like it's literally impossible for me to screw up (or do particularly well).

I mean, I'm fairly confident that it'll pick up (soon?), but this is a LONG intro/prologue thing...

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, the game doesn't really let you off the leash until you get your fourth party member at the end of the tutorial. It's not as long as P4's intro, but it's long.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

The dialogue choices are almost all the same and seem inconsequential, and my fighting options are so limited that I feel like it's literally impossible for me to screw up (or do particularly well).

I mean, I'm fairly confident that it'll pick up (soon?), but this is a LONG intro/prologue thing...

For plot dialog, this is pretty true. Once you start doing confidant links, there are definitely right and wrong answers. Like, the wrong one won't screw you out of anything, but they will make your life more difficult.

Assuming you're playing on at least normal (and if you're playing on easy, of course it's easy, duh), enemies will start to be able to kick your rear end in fairly short order. Like, the combat is still pretty straightforward (hit weakness -> all out attack) but if you're not careful to carry around the elements you need, don't have ailment recovery, or get ambushed you can be in for some pretty significant hurt.

E: Also, do the palaces in one day unless you absolutely have to take multiple days. This gets you more time for the other half of the game and SP management adds a fair bit of challenge (until and unless you get the Death confidant high enough and a big pile of money, anyway)

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 27, 2017

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Arcsech posted:

Assuming you're playing on at least normal (and if you're playing on easy, of course it's easy, duh), enemies will start to be able to kick your rear end in fairly short order. Like, the combat is still pretty straightforward (hit weakness -> all out attack) but if you're not careful to carry around the elements you need, don't have ailment recovery, or get ambushed you can be in for some pretty significant hurt.
Oh, I don't doubt it. I wasn't talking about the difficulty as much as the options available to me. For that first dungeon, I had 2 characters with 1 spell each, so my problem with it wasn't that it was to easy, but that no matter the difficulty, there was pretty much only one thing I could do.

I've only played DDS before, but I'm fairly sure the combat will get interesting as more options become available. There just aren't many right now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I felt the same way at the beginning. It definitely can be a pain but once it opens up the flow of the game moves well.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Question: I'm doing the third palace right now, and I'm starting to get near the end. I've managed to build up a good amount of cash (¥115.652). I was told that I should have about ¥100,000 by the end of the third palace. I assume that you need the money for Kawakami, but I was wondering if I should have built the confidant relationship more at this point (right now, it's at Rank 2). I think I still have about 13 days or so left before the deadline.

EDIT: Additionally, do some enemies not have elemental weaknesses? The Oni enemies don't seem to have one, so it seems like the only way to negotiate with them it to get them alone and down to low health.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 28, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That money is more likely for SP Adhesive 3s from Takemi once you rank that S Link up enough. Those suckers are pretty pricy until you hit Rank 7 with her, at which point everything she sells up to that point is half off.

Some enemies don't have elemental weaknesses, but that probably means you have a really good chance of nailing them with an ailment or something. You'll get a skill when you start the Tower link that makes it trivial to start negotiations with enemies that are alone, so don't sweat it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
There's a 100,000 Yen Buy-in for the Fortune Confidant, which is one of the best ones in the game.

Ranking up Kawakami early is a pretty good idea for a variety of reasons, Mostlly because she's good but also because there are parts of the confidant that require you to be at school which isn't available in December.