Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Robotech is going to be an odd one, given last I checked, it was actually three shows Frankensteined together. And Harmony Gold has a very bad reputation as seemingly doing nothing but copyright trolling for no appreciable gain but to make Battletech's rights issues even worse.

Young Freud posted:

That's a bit hard to swallow when you consider that one side is literally space Germans, down to names, titles, and pulling names and references from German mythology. If they could get away with speaking German instead of Japanese in the anime, they would have.

Hard to say, wouldn't be the first time anime's thrown in a ton of loaded symbology and cultural references that don't actually mean anything significant, just to look cool and exotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hard to say, wouldn't be the first time anime's thrown in a ton of loaded symbology and cultural references that don't actually mean anything significant, just to look cool and exotic.

The loaded symbology and cultural references in LoGH are extremely significant.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LotGH started out as a series of novels. Not a Japanese comic. Word books. Literature even.

Edit: And it's slow paced, but there isn't a single episode of filler.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 18, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

They already have something big, more Game of Thrones.

Fixed, or have they cancelled plans for spinoffs and prequels and whatnot?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's gonna take a series of lawsuits for any new Macross stuff to be released here. An entire live action movie isn't happening.

e: I also can't figure what a successful blockbuster Macross movie would even look like. Do You Remember Love went at a breakneck speed at times but still felt like it was leaving things out.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 18, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TTBF posted:

It's gonna take a series of lawsuits for any new Macross stuff to be released here. An entire live action movie isn't happening.

e: I also can't figure what a successful blockbuster Macross movie would even look like. Do You Remember Love went at a breakneck speed at times but still felt like it was leaving things out.

I was really confused when I watched that because I didn't realise it was a dramatically shortened version of a tv series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The original Super Dimension Fortress Macross is pretty much clear, licensing-wise, as long as Harmony Gold is on board. It's the Macross sequels that are in a tangled clusterfuck, Plus aside (and Manga being a shell of its former self means that will probably never see the light of day again, either).

e: also, I think you could do it pretty easily as a trilogy, if we're trying to keep the movies relatively lean (two movies if we're going for 2:30-3hr epics, but I like shorter movies). First movie, the Supervision Army husk crashes on Earth and gets rebuilt as the Macross, prompting the Zentradi to invade, ID4-style. The climax is the Macross launching, getting in a big space battle, and as a last-ditch survival effort, using the Fold drive and landing at the edge of the solar system. End it on a cliffhanger there. Second movie, the Macross spends most of the movie returning to Earth, most of the romantic subplots start (including moving the Max/Miria plot up a bit), the Breetai-face-turn subplot starts. At the end, the Macross makes it to Earth and everyone celebrates... only to find out there's a giant Zentradi fleet directly on their rear end. Third movie is the humans preparing for, and fighting, the final battle; at a critical moment, Breetai and his own small armada come in to assist the humans and Bodolze gets killed in the battle, causing the Zentradi to surrender. It ends on a hopeful note, with the Earth in shambles but the cast mostly alive and happy (pineapple salad aside, because c'mon, you have to include that) and the friendly Zentradi working to help the remnants of humanity rebuild.

Honestly you could even completely de-emphasize the giant robots and have it just be space-planes and badass alien fighters. Nobody would really complain that much, and it might play better with audiences.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 18, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly you could even completely de-emphasize the giant robots and have it just be space-planes and badass alien fighters. Nobody would really complain that much, and it might play better with audiences.

That seems like a 'Transformers shouldn't talk' level of bad idea. People would probably dismiss it as a Star Wars ripoff. Except Star Wars even has giant robots and nobody found those too weird.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

HBO should start adapting One Piece, it's pretty much just GoT with boats anyway. There's even a couple of dragons in it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think the real reason the robotech project will fail again is because Robotech has always just been a huge vanity project for a real estate company. You can't buy macross stand-alone, you have to buy the robotech DVD to get the series.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Red Bones posted:

HBO should start adapting One Piece, it's pretty much just GoT with boats anyway. There's even a couple of dragons in it.

I doubt they want to go from one series where the author was not close to wrapping things up yet to another one.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Isn't One Piece designed to never have an ending? It's all about the friends you meet along the way

With anime there can always be a new dangerous bad guy around the corner and they can somehow have it make sense in their worlds

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fried Watermelon posted:

Isn't One Piece designed to never have an ending? It's all about the friends you meet along the way

With anime there can always be a new dangerous bad guy around the corner and they can somehow have it make sense in their worlds

I mean, from how I understand the current arc of New Dragon Ball to be about, that series HAS to end because they're facing the literal god of all creation

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I mean, from how I understand the current arc of New Dragon Ball to be about, that series HAS to end because they're facing the literal god of all creation

"What? The Gods of Creation have brothers? These guys look strong, time to see if my training has paid off!"

Episode 154: Power! New challengers from the Mirrorverse? Secret Platinum Technique!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

From what I've heard, there is an actual ending. Unless it was fake Oda told a make a wish the ending to the show once.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dirksteadfast posted:

"What? The Gods of Creation have brothers? These guys look strong, time to see if my training has paid off!"

Episode 154: Power! New challengers from the Mirrorverse? Secret Platinum Technique!

Oh they already met his twin from Future Trunk's timeline and bought him back to the present. And then Goku opened his mouth about a tournament so all the universes minus a few have to fight, with the losers being erased from existence. They already had one universe full of furries get erased after they tried to fight Goku and Frieza and failed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I saw the trailer for the upcoming disaster movie Geostorm this weekend in a theater, and hoo boy that is some trash. I'm sure it also cost a lot. But it looks like some awful amalgamation between The Day After Tomorrow, The Core, and 2012.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rirse posted:

Oh they already met his twin from Future Trunk's timeline and bought him back to the present. And then Goku opened his mouth about a tournament so all the universes minus a few have to fight, with the losers being erased from existence. They already had one universe full of furries get erased after they tried to fight Goku and Frieza and failed.

The gently caress? Isn't that the plot to loving Bokurano?!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The best was that 4 episode OVA of Macross. It was mostly Human and low key just two badass fighter pilots and a love story.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

That seems like a 'Transformers shouldn't talk' level of bad idea. People would probably dismiss it as a Star Wars ripoff. Except Star Wars even has giant robots and nobody found those too weird.

I sort of feel like a fighter plane that can transform into Chappie is a bit of a harder sell than an AT-ST

And also, what the guy above me said- the robots were never the point of Macross and you can carry over the most iconic parts of the visuals (ie insanely huge missile-shitstorms) totally fine without them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I sort of feel like a fighter plane that can transform into Chappie is a bit of a harder sell than an AT-ST

There's already a long-running and successful movie series about vehicles that transform into robots. It's not that hard a sell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's already a long-running and successful movie series about vehicles that transform into robots. It's not that hard a sell.

They don't have a human inside and the whole hook is that they're weirdo ancient aliens that can pretend to be Earth things. The Valkyrie is kind of more "oh hey we made an F-16, but you can make it dude-shaped if you need to."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They don't have a human inside and the whole hook is that they're weirdo ancient aliens that can pretend to be Earth things. The Valkyrie is kind of more "oh hey we made an F-16, but you can make it dude-shaped if you need to."

That already sounds more approachable than Transformers. It's basically the same idea, only remove the "weirdo ancient aliens" part. How is that more off-putting?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nobody cares about the logic behind these concepts. People are comfortable with the visual of a fighter jet flying around shooting missiles and then turning into a robot dude that punches people. That this transformation is controlled by a little dude inside of it is just a plot detail. And, as Phylodox points out, to the extent that people care, having to explain that it's an alien life form instead of just a machine makes it harder to sell, not easier.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think the difference is that Transformers contrasts its story about intergalactic cybernetic life forms waging a millennia-spanning war for dominance against a relatable backdrop of contemporary Earth, giving the audience an entry point into the story, whereas Robotech and Macross and them ask the audience to accept an advanced future society that incorporates alien technology without as firm a point of reference, placing the burden more firmly on characters and their interactions. It's still probably not that difficult. A lot of sci-fi manages it. Star Wars, Fifth Element, Firefly, etc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm not saying it's not doable, it would just take a defter hand than I think it'll likely get.

Frankly I feel like the magic J-pop might be a bigger deal, but even that seems like they could get around it by just hiring some hot-poo poo American singer to play Not Minmay (or hire a Chinese pop singer to play the real deal and avoid making the internet mad).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

and avoid making the internet mad

When in the history of everything has this ever happened?

How bad is Valerian going to get thrashed vs Dunkirk?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's not doable, it would just take a defter hand than I think it'll likely get.

Frankly I feel like the magic J-pop might be a bigger deal, but even that seems like they could get around it by just hiring some hot-poo poo American singer to play Not Minmay (or hire a Chinese pop singer to play the real deal and avoid making the internet mad).

Does robotech even have the J-pop stuff in it?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

When in the history of everything has this ever happened?

I would assume whatever studio is behind this doesn't want a repeat of Ghost in the Shell, a movie that had anti-hype before it came out.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Does robotech even have the J-pop stuff in it?

Yep. Horribly dubbed, but it's there.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Disaster Artist teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qab3TMg42k

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's weird that Franco is making that line delivery so flat. Wiseau's delivery is a lot of things, including baffling, but it ain't flat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It would sound completely insane and ridiculous if you hadn't seen The Room and realized that's how he actually sounds.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

The best was that 4 episode OVA of Macross. It was mostly Human and low key just two badass fighter pilots and a love story.

Top Gun is a Macross spinoff?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's weird that Franco is making that line delivery so flat. Wiseau's delivery is a lot of things, including baffling, but it ain't flat.

One thing I noticed is that it loses Wiseau's (baffling) facial expressions, particularly the way he looks when he says "Naaaht"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOlzW8hx5A&t=72s

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

kiimo posted:

It would sound completely insane and ridiculous if you hadn't seen The Room and realized that's how he actually sounds.

The point is that it's insane and ridiculous though, why tone it down?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phylodox posted:

I think the difference is that Transformers contrasts its story about intergalactic cybernetic life forms waging a millennia-spanning war for dominance against a relatable backdrop of contemporary Earth, giving the audience an entry point into the story, whereas Robotech and Macross and them ask the audience to accept an advanced future society that incorporates alien technology without as firm a point of reference, placing the burden more firmly on characters and their interactions. It's still probably not that difficult. A lot of sci-fi manages it. Star Wars, Fifth Element, Firefly, etc.

Everyone hates all the human poo poo in Transformers, though. Most of the shows end up completely leaving Earth with the human presence being token, phased out or just really annoying. Usually because they don't do anything remotely interesting with it.

It's not a matter of what you film, it's how you film it. Give it some decent actors, good directing and a kickass soundtrack and I'm pretty sure Hollywood's audiences would eat up a space pilot turning his space plane into a space robot to hit space giants with his laser space sword, while a space jpop idol sings in the background. It's all in the execution and marketing.

If anything, Pacific Rim suffered because they weren't willing to go anime enough. And all the interesting characters got killed off for the boring ones.

got any sevens posted:

I think that was Macross Plus that's basically Top Gun with space robots, yes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

got any sevens posted:

My God you're right.

We neee Top Gun 2 to be Macross. Tom Cruise vs Mads Milkenson in transforming Jets in Space for the hand and love of...Jeremy Renner who is the man behind Sharon Apple portrayed by a lusty Tina Fey.

Man read the description for Top Gun 2.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 18, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

My God you're right.

We neee Top Gun 2 to be Macross. Tom Cruise vs Mads Milkenson in transforming Jets in Space for the hand and love of...Jeremy Renner who is the man behind Sharon Apple portrayed by a lusty Tina Fey.

I'm not really up on Macross but I recall they have legs.

So they can do the requisite Tom Cruise running scenes and possibly play volleyball as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

My God you're right.

This exact setup but a remake of Robot Jox instead of a sequel to Top Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just imagine an 1970s era jet fighter going over the net with phoenix missiles.

Sure they're high maintenance and mostly retired (looking at you Kilmer) but once you get that Goku hair going and the sand and the sweat and the whine of a bike with the taillights all Akira style.

We have a go picture.

• Locked thread