Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fluffdaddy posted:

I also hate free food and booze and the electric slide

I have already been informed that there will not be any electric sliding at our wedding and she doesn't even have a ring yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Sash! posted:

I have already been informed that there will not be any electric sliding at our wedding and she doesn't even have a ring yet.

I'm sure you can just reprogram that fuckbot to allow any dance you want.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
It's Big XII media days and: Tech player plays Big XII media bingo.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Weddings are cool except for fall Saturday weddings.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/pfboone/status/886985118161698820

guy owns

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/colecubelic/status/886751515960115200/video/1

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

iospace posted:

Hot take: gently caress big marriage ceremonies in general. Go to the court house and get it over with.

This is true

mdemone posted:

Now, don't be like me and marry a violent alcoholic with borderline personality disorder. I can't possibly stress that part enough.

This is also true

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm confused as to what he was trying to do on the play. It looks like chip the DE and go to next level. But then he stops when the DE gets through.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
https://twitter.com/TexasTechFB/status/887082182791094273

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Unless he whooped and yelled "BINGO!" in the middle of some poor reporter's question I am incredibly disappointed at a missed opportunity.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Quandary posted:

Weddings are cool except for fall Saturday weddings.

That was me, while I was saying I do in a wet field BYU and Houston were in a Cougar on Cougar track meet.

:sigh:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Joey Freshwater posted:

She was completely serious. She didn't attend either school which isn't really a surprise. She got mad when I told her if she thought any of that was true she didn't know anything about the SEC.

She'd told me she was a big fan of the SEC even though she went to Minnesota. She's also a Pats fan.

I kind of hate her a little bit.

holy gently caress I want to study her on a sociological level.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

One of my groomsmen got laid in the bathroom at my wedding so that's cool and good for him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I thought weddings were a thing almost everyone enjoyed but somehow I have to defend them to you buncha antisocial dorks like 4 times a year

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There were like maybe 80 people at my wedding. I get it, its a full mass so way longer than other weddings. Our reception had about 240 people so that was fun. Two live bands with a DJ in between and after, continuous buffet style food, but at around 2 am they brought out sancocho, which is a Panamanian chicken soup for people to get a second wind.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

I thought weddings were a thing almost everyone enjoyed but somehow I have to defend them to you buncha antisocial dorks like 4 times a year

I'm with you MV. Weddings are the best.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I've been to one wedding ever and my cousin was the bride. The only people I knew were family. The wedding was in 2015. The last time I saw that cousin (and branch of the family) was 2006. Like most goons, I'm not a big fan of being in a crowd with lots of randos.

I am a miserable gently caress, ama

e: My cousin went to Pitt and a good chunk of the guests were Pitt fans and gently caress em all

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

I have to assume everyone complaining here goes to weddings that somehow have a Catholic ceremony and a Mormon reception

My friends getting married is a horrifying reminder of rapid aging but I'm also pushing everyone to do it because weddings are dope. The only downside is having to wear a suit and tie to most of them.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Strobe posted:

Unless he whooped and yelled "BINGO!" in the middle of some poor reporter's question I am incredibly disappointed at a missed opportunity.

Aggies are the ones that whoop, not Techsans.

swickles posted:

There were like maybe 80 people at my wedding. I get it, its a full mass so way longer than other weddings. Our reception had about 240 people so that was fun. Two live bands with a DJ in between and after, continuous buffet style food, but at around 2 am they brought out sancocho, which is a Panamanian chicken soup for people to get a second wind.

that sounds expensive.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I got married recently. Wouldn't recommend it

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm not close enough to any of my friends to go to their weddings. :smith:

I've only been to 2 weddings in my life and they were both for uncles. My first time ever getting drunk was at the reception for one of these weddings, when I was five :haw:.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I liked my wedding. I enjoy them in general, abstractly more or less.

I'm tired of heathens having weddings in the fall. Those I can do without.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rather be going to weddings than funerals

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My wife and I flew to Vegas without telling anyone and eloped. Called our families after. I'd recommend it, nobody had to miss football.

My mom is probably still passively mad, but that's what you get for trying to raise me in your crazy rear end cult, yeah?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

kayakyakr posted:

that sounds expensive.

It does, however there are several mitigating factors. First, it was in Panama where liquor, food, and service costs all around are lower. Second, back in the 70's her dad joined a country club at exactly the right time. What would cost $100,000 today cost him next nothing. The club gives discounts to members holding parties at the club. The total cost of the wedding: food, bands, DJ, venue, etc was maybe a fifth the cost than had it been in the US.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sash! posted:

The worst loving part of getting older. :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

weddings in general and the electric slide in specific both own, you loving goobers.

vyst posted:

I got married recently. Wouldn't recommend it

god that's awful congrats :cheers:

Sash! posted:

preach

Also your wedding automatically owns if you don't play that god awful "I saw/loved her first" country song for the father/daughter dance. That poo poo took over the equally beaten-to-death "Butterfly Kisses" and god drat is it terrible.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
We had 40 people at our wedding. The venue cost $250. The photographer and liquor were the most expensive portions, followed by food.

Next time, we're eloping.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

to bring this slightly back to football, if you genuinely complain about friends/family having fall weddings during a game, you are a lovely friend and deserve shame. You own a portable television with literally endless channels that can also instantly update you on every score. Go to the goddamn wedding.

Frinkahedron posted:

We had 40 people at our wedding. The venue cost $250. The photographer and liquor were the most expensive portions, followed by food.

Next time, we're eloping.

I've known a few people these days that did very small/private ceremonies, then went on their honeymoon, then came home and did one big party and it was great. No stress on the bride or groom, and everyone had a ball.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

to bring this slightly back to football, if you genuinely complain about friends/family having fall weddings during a game, you are a lovely friend and deserve shame. You own a portable television with literally endless channels that can also instantly update you on every score. Go to the goddamn wedding.

This. I'm going to 2-3 this fall. It's really not a big deal with unlimited data/watchespn and BTN. Most of them tend to be early in the season anyways, when the only good games are going to be super primetime and something you can easily make if you actually can't fathom missing a game. Seriously, we picked our date to be as early fall as possible, and it means we're getting married the day of OSU-Rutgers in '18. Fall weddings are not that bad.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

I can smell the bourbon through my computer screen.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If memory serves, it was an SAS/FF thread in which someone suggested somebody's best man speech be limited to three words: "Defense wins championships"

That works, I guess.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Aggies are the ones that whoop, not Techsans.

Been to an Aggie wedding, can confirm.

Overall a better experience than a Muster.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, I can't think of ever hearing an actually good best man speech. Both that and the maid of honor will start with "I remember when [name] and [name] first met...", and the best man will promptly try to make about 10 terrible jokes and get lost in at least 2 stories he's trying to tell.

Attention every best man: You have 1 minute, max. Nobody's really listening anyway.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I've only been to 2 weddings in my life and they were both for uncles. My first time ever getting drunk was at the reception for one of these weddings, when I was five :haw:.

This is a top five sad post of all time

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quandary posted:

This is a top five sad post of all time

I didn't keep in touch with any friends from high school or college so I've only been to three weddings ever.

2 Great, 1 poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's stunning to me that people can go through life and not randomly end up at at least 20 weddings by the time they're 30. I don't seek these out and at least half of the ones I've gone to have been an obligation thing instead of excitement for the couple, but I ended up attending them anyway.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

You remain the most pathetic person in the world.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
My married male friends have done us all a favor by having small weddings limited to a single groomsman/best man, whom in most cases was their brother.

Not that I wouldn't be honored/willing to be in the party; it's just less of a hassle this way :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I can't think of ever hearing an actually good best man speech. Both that and the maid of honor will start with "I remember when [name] and [name] first met...", and the best man will promptly try to make about 10 terrible jokes and get lost in at least 2 stories he's trying to tell.

Attention every best man: You have 1 minute, max. Nobody's really listening anyway.

A best man speech is a life milestone. It is the first time you get to tell a rambling, confusing old man story to a captive audience.

• Locked thread