Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i forget what the minimum requirements on elite dangerous are but i know older low end machines can handle it just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Polish Avenger posted:

Goddammit that is pretty freaking cool. I should play that game. Wish I could try it to make sure it runs.

Buy it on Steam and refund it if it doesn't work. Not complicated at all.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I haven't really be following in the past month or so, has CIG actually made an announcement about the delay in release of 3.0, or do to they just keep pushing it back week-on-week with their schedule updates??
The transitions aren't seemless and they come before both of the clips you've linked here - you have a loading period where everything freezes and you then drop out of orbital flight.
Although maybe they've shortened the loading screens? I haven't played for months (due to the standard problem of there being a lack of game)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can think of at least 3 instances in the last year where I successfully got a refund on Steam because the gameplay didn't match my expectations. No fuss from Steam, just a confirmation that they reviewed my ticket, then got my money back maybe a week later.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

http://www.pcgames.de/Star-Citizen-Spiel-3481/News/maximale-Spielerzahl-24-pro-Server-Multiplayer-Alpha-30-Release-instanziert-1233373/

24 player limit for 3.0 confirmed. Current engine only runs on four cores max (serverside), new netcode should support more cores in the future, final release will put all players in one instance (of course).

It's mind boggling how in one paragraph they not only manage to basically kick their playerbase in the nuts but also blatantly lie to them about "one big instance" once everything is finished IF funding allows it. Constant graphical downgrades, shrinking universe, shrinking max player size...everything is dialed back as fast as possible without looking even more stupid than they already do, and backers compliment them for it.

This is good for Star Citizen because....

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/YLivay/status/833675922754646016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen is more of a mirror. Every normal person recognizes that it's a mirror and walks away to look at something interesting, but the more cult like fans keep staring at their own reflections and projecting their dreams onto it.

cf transference

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Percelus posted:

i forget what the minimum requirements on elite dangerous are but i know older low end machines can handle it just fine

But can you?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

No.

Goddammit.

No.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

tuo posted:

http://www.pcgames.de/Star-Citizen-Spiel-3481/News/maximale-Spielerzahl-24-pro-Server-Multiplayer-Alpha-30-Release-instanziert-1233373/

24 player limit for 3.0 confirmed. Current engine only runs on four cores max (serverside), new netcode should support more cores in the future, final release will put all players in one instance (of course).

It's mind boggling how in one paragraph they not only manage to basically kick their playerbase in the nuts but also blatantly lie to them about "one big instance" once everything is finished IF funding allows it. Constant graphical downgrades, shrinking universe, shrinking max player size...everything is dialed back as fast as possible without looking even more stupid than they already do, and backers compliment them for it.

Solid stuff. Theyll probably tell the community during the loremakers shows today and tomorrow

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

They've solved space travel with this. Skip the ships and let the commandos double jump to infinity and beyond!

Although the first thing that struck my mind was a dilemma... double jump forever and get stuck in walls? WOULD YOU PUSH THAT BUTTON? I might.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Good call, that's what I'll do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can think of at least 3 instances in the last year where I successfully got a refund on Steam because the gameplay didn't match my expectations. No fuss from Steam, just a confirmation that they reviewed my ticket, then got my money back maybe a week later.

Are you trying to start a refund cascade on Steam?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you trying to start a refund cascade on Steam?

:grin:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also keep in mind not to play over 2 (I think the limit is two) hours.

And refund ASAP as they will not accept a refund request after 14 days have elapsed from time of purchase.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Why are the commandos excited about lots of stuff on one planet in the flying around in space game?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

Why are the commandos excited about lots of stuff on one planet in the flying around in space game?

But its all hand-crafted and therefore totally beats anything CALL OF DOOKIE has ever produced! Lol what scrub plebes with your $60 copycat game!

*Said unironically as the citizen gives another $400 to CIG for a non-functional spaceship for a space game in a now highly competitive genre market*

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I mean I would be pretty upset if I owned 40,000 dollars in space ships and the game was now about running around on a planet. Why not just play Morrowind, it's surely going to better at running around doing poo poo on one planet.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

remember the time when CIG was asking if people would allow 3rd party sounddriver to play SC?

Custom sound-driver. It would have been installed at the same time as the client.

We laughed a lot. ASIO is a bitch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I need to make my investment worth it despite it not being what I paid for. -Citizen who backed the best drat space sim ever, locked in a server with a max of 24 people and relinquishing more and more of the "sim" aspects of the game.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
So now that i have a fully sick gaming rig im gonna try ED, will report back

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
It's even VR compatible.

And it works.

And you can play it right now.

Scandalous as gently caress.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Polish Avenger posted:

I don't think anyone would really dispute that they needed to design an engine from the ground up, like Elite did, so they could build it to handle all of their gameplay. I'm sure Elite was no layup to program it for "basically just space poo poo" at the beginning. To get first person stuff and the space flight working almost simultaneously must exist on a razor's edge if at all. I honestly don't know how it could be done.

Most people forget the Frontier years because they didn't play well as games, but the orbital mechanics and scale were in place; Frontier actually fit onto a 1.44Mb floppy. Frontier II was buggy as poo poo on release, but again, still had the massive scale and solar systems that you could just sit and watch move around from the surface of the planets.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just be aware that there's a 2 hour limit on refunds. Tried to refund a game that didn't run; turns out the exe was locked solid in the background and ran over the 2 hour time limit despite not actually doing anything.

Flatspace IIk, you hosed me out of $10.

El Grillo posted:

The transitions aren't seemless and they come before both of the clips you've linked here - you have a loading period where everything freezes and you then drop out of orbital flight.

It's around three seconds of screen freeze when you drop out of orbital and enter glide. It's a gameplay mechanic to stop you raging at the surface and seeing everything pop-in. It actually occurs in at least one of the videos.

Embrace the KanColle.

Well, they're not, but they're making the best of what they're being thrown because they're invested and have some fairly heavy sunk-cost fallacy that CiG attempts to poke with 'We might not do everything unless you pay'. This is the decade of applied psychology.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

So now that i have a fully sick gaming rig im gonna try ED, will report back

Crank up the sound, it's glorious :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Crank up the sound, it's glorious :)

I wax lyrical about the sound design. It's actually informational. The scanners have a small ditty that they run through that gives you a good idea of how long without requiring a counter. The various confirmation beeps have meaning. Those engine sounds rival poo poo that skywalker sound produced. As far as folio goes, it's drat near perfect.

Nice touch is the stations using your callsign; 'Lakon Hotel Alpha Victor - welcome back'

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
I bought ED last night too! Time to ram my ship straight into people! :smuggo:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i dont know but it wrecks the processor on my crappy work comp

It got an award and poo poo though. So shut the gently caress up.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hav posted:

Nice touch is the stations using your callsign; 'Lakon Hotel Alpha Victor - welcome back'

The first time that happened to me, I parsed it right, and thought "hey, that's a co-incidence, that's the first three letters of my na.... waaaaaait...."

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I have a CMDR named Papa Alpha Papa for maximum immersion

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

El Grillo posted:

So I haven't really be following in the past month or so, has CIG actually made an announcement about the delay in release of 3.0, or do to they just keep pushing it back week-on-week with their schedule updates??

Although maybe they've shortened the loading screens? I haven't played for months (due to the standard problem of there being a lack of game)

Those aren't loading screens, they're network instancing changes between supercruise/normal space. If you aren't in supercruise you can quite happily fly from one body to another in the star system with no instance changes whatsoever (if you have enough time on your hands)

As an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7E0DEp5yI

Mu77ley fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 18, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Warhawk109 posted:

I bought ED last night too! Time to ram my ship straight into people! :smuggo:

Gonna try some pvp, consenual or otherwise.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

El Grillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxI9wtgEV44
catte tax

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 18, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
also are there any tips i should know to avoid loving myself. I watched a youtube vid and that guy was making deliveries for commies, a big no go for me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bumbler posted:

I have a CMDR named Papa Alpha Romeo Papa for maximum immersion

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

0.000000000000000000000001% progress is still progress, so the dream is real and only a matter of time because progress is being made

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Gonna try some pvp, consenual or otherwise.

Non consensual pvp, best kind of pvp imo.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

tuo posted:

"Star Citizen is supposed to host many thousands or even millions of players on a server... Star Citizen is to have a nearly unique server structure in its release : Virtually all players of the space simulation should share a single, persistent instance of the MMOG universe. And that could be millions of people, as long as they were a sales success."

I mean, how much bullshit is too much bullshit even for Star Citizen?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 18, 2017

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I didn't realize Warframe was so popular. Yet they have budgetary issues... They clearly need to learn the art of greed from Star Citizen and charge 300$ a frame.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

El Grillo posted:

That's not a loading period, though — it's session synchronisation as you move from one instance to the next. If you want to, you can make the same trip in a single normal-travel instance, but it will take you a couple of hours (or days) to cross those distances…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Just been on holiday and finally got the awful app working on my ipad. I was going to make a comment of what i saw on Friday when the spectrum forum was having a meltdown over the totally unnecessary Gladius rework ("who ok'ed this?!?" Lol, who the gently caress do you think?) and how only one item was marked complete on the schedule report.

But holy poo poo, the fact that a (German) game magazine broke the news that 90-95% of content has been cut before the backers were even told and the backers then leapt to CIG's defence totally overshadows it. Holy christ CIG, well played. :lol::lol::lol: