Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Guild of Dungeoneering played for about three minutes on my Acer R11 and then just blanked - gray screen, music playing, nothing selectable or visible. I re-started, and got a bunch of graphical errors again once the game loaded. Is it me, is it the game, what the heck is it? Game seems pretty fun assuming it's not unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
It works on my tablet and note 5, I don't think it's the game. Maybe just android on chromebook being a bit wonky with compatibility?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Game Studio Tycoon 2 is currently free. Is it comparable to Game Dev Story (which I've never played)?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

binge crotching posted:

The hex ones are really easy, but they are still fun. It's a nice change from the usual minesweeper grid. The problem I have with the game is that the fields are usually too small. It tries to do various object shaped playing fields, but they tend to be much smaller than I had hoped they would be.

I am very bad at regular minesweeper, so it may well be a factor.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

A Planet of Mine is a promising new 4X game that just came out. It's a bit unpolished (and the English translation is not great) but it seems quite cool. There's only a few races and a single timed mode available in the base game; you can unlock the rest with a $5 IAP.

Been playing this since it came out and the game is really good. There's a lot of depth, complexity and strategy involved though the lack of a decent tutorial is a bummer.

The encyclopaedia is locked until you encounter the item/resource/building which means you can't go ahead and read up on how the things work.

My first couple of planets died because I didn't have enough food or burned through a renewable resource by mining it too fast because but once you figure out what all the numbers mean, it gets into a nice groove.

Definitely worth checking out though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So my latest and greatest game is Cats who stare at Ghosts . It's a solid rpg in which you are a cat in a haunted house staring at and then battting your paws at ghosts.

Initially all you do is auto-attack and spend skill points as you level, but as you conquer the different rooms of the house you unlock active and passive skills, equippable items, ghost companions, and more. You also prestige multiple times, resetting your level but making skill point more effective (I'm on my 5th life and I get 4 points per Stat instead of 1)

It's also got no ads at all and the only thing you spend premium currency (milk of course) on is new cat skins and temporary boosts. It is does get very grindy, but you eventually unlock a companion that let's you afk, and there are bonus popups to tap and 16 active skills to unlock.

Come be a cat and stare at ghosts, it's a very charming game!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

who you goona call? CAT MRROW'ERS!!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol your hp is literally just how tired and bored your cat is.

Also, very scary music. Goty

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

A Planet of Mine is a promising new 4X game that just came out. It's a bit unpolished (and the English translation is not great) but it seems quite cool. There's only a few races and a single timed mode available in the base game; you can unlock the rest with a $5 IAP.

This game is actually quite good. It does have quite a steep learning curve though. It can be a bit frustrating in the beginning.

Also should be mentioned the single race and timed mode are fairly sufficient. You can also buy individual theme packs for a smaller amount, which also unlocks all game modes.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you own a copy of the original XCOM (Steam version will do) you can play OpenXcom on your Android https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2428.0
It's pretty fun, if a tiny little bit clunky.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

My first couple of planets died because I didn't have enough food or burned through a renewable resource by mining it too fast because but once you figure out what all the numbers mean, it gets into a nice groove.

Do you have any reccs on how to get started? I.e., an initial research path/resource allocation?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

For anybody playing Cats Who Stare at Ghosts, what does the catnip do, and what does it mean when you have the lightning bold under your cats status box?

edit: Nevermind, just cleared the TV room so I can unlock stuff with catnip, but still want to know if anyone knows what the lightning bolt means.

edit2: Figured out that the lightning bolt is a debuff that makes you move slower, and the first catnip ability lets you clear a stack of it.

Namaer fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 16, 2017

Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

The lightning bolt is shock, it's caused by bosses and slows your actions.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Montalvo posted:

Can anyone recommend a slick mahjong app? Ideally something with a clean interface and not a lot of bells and whistles. Doesn't have to be free.

Geektox posted:

If you're talking about actual Mahjong and not Mahjong solitaire I would also love to know

poo poo, I can finally contribute to this thread! If you want to play MCR Mahjong (Mahjong Competition Rules, colloquially "Chinese mahjong") then your best bet is Mahjong and Friends Free (make sure if you don't use this link that you get this version, because they also have a version that is a 16 tile hand variant if you're into that but most people are just looking for the standard 13 tiles). It has an okay how-to-play and it lists all the hands. If you're interested in Richi Mahjong ("Japanese mahjong") I don't play it but I know people who do and might be able to recommend an app for that.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

foutre posted:

Do you have any reccs on how to get started? I.e., an initial research path/resource allocation?

I'm still totally lost.

At the minute I've just been trying to find oil as fast as I can so I can claim planets quickly and using my guys to hit trees that I then convert to charcoal and paper and those to whatever else I need. Getting a nursery helps with food and wood but there have been times where I've starved before then due to getting too greedy with dudes or not enough food/wood tiles

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

foutre posted:

The research tree seems to be somewhat randomized, and the things you unlock aren't really super important compared to ascension. Grab rationing and culture as soon as you see it though. I would focus on getting food production into the positives (making more than you eat), then sprinting for oil to colonize.

Kegslayer posted:

I'm still totally lost.

At the minute I've just been trying to find oil as fast as I can so I can claim planets quickly and using my guys to hit trees that I then convert to charcoal and paper and those to whatever else I need. Getting a nursery helps with food and wood but there have been times where I've starved before then due to getting too greedy with dudes or not enough food/wood tiles

I've discovered that you can use water on Farms to double food production. You can also use fertiliser or bio gas for even higher output.

The little food icons on the list of races when you start a game represents their consumption per unit. The heavier and more powerful races tend to eat more, requiring more investment into agricultural tech as a balancing measure.

I also tend to load up on bushes to slash and burn them down, because ground under bushes always contains loads of oil.

If you tap on a plot, it will also show you the amount of blocks and liquid units in the plot, and you can use knowledge of what comes from where to determine what the materials are likely to be.

A nursery lets you stack 2 on a forest for infinite wood. A second nursery (or upgrading to a greenhouse) let's you stack 3.

As far as I can tell, once an opponent had colonized a planet, it is forever unavailable; all you can do is destroy it. So sprint as fast as possible to snatch up planets.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 17, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The research tree seems to be somewhat randomized, and the things you unlock aren't really super important compared to ascension. Grab rationing and culture as soon as you see it though. I would focus on getting food production into the positives (making more than you eat), then sprinting for oil to colonize.

I've discovered that you can use water on Farms to double food production. You can also use fertiliser or bio gas for even higher output.

The little food icons on the list of races when you start a game represents their consumption per unit. The heavier and more powerful races tend to eat more, requiring more investment into agricultural tech as a balancing measure.

I also tend to load up on bushes to slash and burn them down, because ground under bushes always contains loads of oil.

If you tap on a plot, it will also show you the amount of blocks and liquid units in the plot, and you can use knowledge of what comes from where to determine what the materials are likely to be.

A nursery lets you stack 2 on a forest for infinite wood. A second nursery (or upgrading to a greenhouse) let's you stack 3.

As far as I can tell, once an opponent had colonized a planet, it is forever unavailable; all you can do is destroy it. So sprint as fast as possible to snatch up planets.

How do I get enough wood to do a nursery. I keep running out of wood before anything.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Only put one guy in each forest until you get a nursery

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Only put one guy in each forest until you get a nursery

You can actually stack on trees for fast wood income, just don't let it expire. A nursery will refresh them once you get one.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Can anyone recommend a decent bubble popper, preferably not laden down with IAP? I would love to just pay once and play, but the store is littered with paywall bullshit and terrible half-assed versions. If only I knew how to make games...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

You can actually stack on trees for fast wood income, just don't let it expire. A nursery will refresh them once you get one.
Do trees regenerate without a nursery or something? I had to abandon a couple games because I'd used up the one/two trees on my first planet and then was totally stuck, no matter how far forward I advanced time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Do trees regenerate without a nursery or something? I had to abandon a couple games because I'd used up the one/two trees on my first planet and then was totally stuck, no matter how far forward I advanced time.

If you look on the main screen, next to your population is a little tree icon and a number.
That's the regen rate, and the planet has some naturally. Nurseries boost that, and the regen happens every planet cycle.

However, once you exhaust a resource, it's gone forever. Don't slash and burn a forest, because it never grows back. The little pie graph looking graphic on a plot that is being worked represents how much is there, so keep your eye on it and don't let it deplete, and it will grow back eventually.

You absolutely can gently caress yourself over if you over harvest.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 18, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was really surprised and disappointed by the Heroes of Might and Magic III port on Android. Not only does it come without any of the expansions to the game (nor could I spot a way to purchase them), and the game needs to reboot each time you go back to the homescreen and switch back to the app, even after a few seconds. That seems like a baffling flaw on a portable game. :psyduck:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks for all the tips Sandwich Anarchist, I'll have to give it another try. Sounds like it has even more depth than I thought.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

foutre posted:

Thanks for all the tips Sandwich Anarchist, I'll have to give it another try. Sounds like it has even more depth than I thought.

Yeah it is surprising how deep this little game actually is. I'm always discovering a new mechanic or feature. Just click on everything, look for drop down menus, etc. The game doesn't tell you alot, but all the info you need is there somewhere.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

You absolutely can gently caress yourself over if you over harvest.
You can also be screwed if you have a bad starting planet, right? I couldn't figure out how to advance without fertilizer for instance.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Fertilizer can be found commonly from Jungle tile Mines. It's also not unusual from tiles with bushes and trees, I think. It's enough to get you going, at least.

Don't be afraid to blow up and reposition buildings and condense your housing to fully exploit a planet. The tiles change from full to empty once you've completely mined and pumped everything from them, but they're still viable for building on. Maybe something happens if you go too far, but I haven't gone long enough to find out.

I need to upgrade one of those housing tiles and demolish the other on that planet, but you can see the difference in the fully exploited tiles and those that still have something to gather.

Most resources are shared across planets, so spreading out is important. That picture is my starting planet which I'm converting into a primarily food planet, while I have a frozen planet providing the water for those farms.

Edit: Fixing autocorrect. I'm tired and falling asleep, I should just let it happen.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 18, 2017

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I've been really enjoying South Park Phone Destroyer.

Are there any good games similar to it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Brekelefuw posted:

I've been really enjoying South Park Phone Destroyer.

Are there any good games similar to it?

I heard a lot of people compare it to Clash Royale when it first came out.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Re. A Planet of Mine:

Does the full version fix the hard limit on basic resources? By providing an unlimited number of planets (procedurally generated?) or trading partners guaranteed to have these resources... or something. I'm almost at level 10 but, with no AI and only three planets, I'll soon run out of things to do, which is an odd and unsatisfying way for a game to end.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I read a forums post from a dev who said each game is finite

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah it isnt really built around "winning", but rather going for a high score.

The Challenges present you unique setups with victory conditions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cool I had no idea I could mine fertilizer from jungle tiles, I had been sitting around watching pinatasaurs hoping they'd poop.. Of course I don't have any jungle on my current planet, but whatever..

Recently I've begun laying out wells on all the savannah and grassland tiles with a decent amount of oil so I can to get oil early, otherwise the opposing faction ends up colonizing everything by the time I get my poo poo together and can launch to another planet. Once the well dries up it's time to build something different anyway. :)

One question that's not clear in-game, a lot of tiles and stuff seem to mention they provide resources to neighboring tiles, but I've never really seen this working in action. Does it work?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 18, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I know about challenges, I'm doing the 50k one to bypass the 300 turn limit from Free Mode... and I'm just noticing the description mentions it's a tiny system. Unlimited mode apparently has 15 planets? (fixed number?) That's pretty good.

coyo7e posted:

One question that's not clear in-game, a lot of tiles and stuff seem to mention they provide resources to neighboring tiles, but I've never really seen this working in action. Does it work?

That just means the neighboring tiles will have more of X or Y resource, it doesn't actively do anything.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Make sure you are trading with the neighbors, you might have to gift them some stuff first to make them friendly enough but after that you can usually get resources you need from them. You can initiate the trades yourself and not just wait for them to do it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Recently I've begun laying out wells on all the savannah and grassland tiles with a decent amount of oil so I can to get oil early, otherwise the opposing faction ends up colonizing everything by the time I get my poo poo together and can launch to another planet. Once the well dries up it's time to build something different anyway. :)

Regarding oil, loving slash and burn berry bushes. They provide bad food income compared to farms, and the land they sit on is always rich with oil. I always stack 3 on a bush asap to get a nice glut of food, then immediately put a well down and start pumping.

The in game purchases all unlock every challenge and game mode, regardless of which one you buy. It is worth imo

seravid posted:

I know about challenges, I'm doing the 50k one to bypass the 300 turn limit from Free Mode... and I'm just noticing the description mentions it's a tiny system. Unlimited mode apparently has 15 planets? (fixed number?) That's pretty good.

The ulimited mode is 4 AI and 15 planets. It's the "real game".

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 19, 2017

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

The in game purchases all unlock every challenge and game mode, regardless of which one you buy. It is worth imo

This is absolutely not true. If you buy an individual pack it only unlocks the challenges associated with that pack and the 3-4 associated races.

It does however unlock all game modes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ModeSix posted:

This is absolutely not true. If you buy an individual pack it only unlocks the challenges associated with that pack and the 3-4 associated races.

It does however unlock all game modes.

My bad, I misread the info. I bought the full unlock myself.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

My bad, I misread the info. I bought the full unlock myself.

I think that's the smart way to do it. It costs more to get them individually and there's no discount on the full pack if you already bought an individual pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Layton Mystery Journey is out. There seems to be versions for different markets, a European one and one for Americans.