Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any RPGs or even board games that at least somewhat resemble Darkest Dungeon on PC? I would assume some form of Cthulu would get the dread aspect pretty easily.

Hearing how people who actually play and like the game talk about it that titty monster game? I don't know why it's name is escaping me but it's just titties all over for the aesthetic but the gameplay is the players building a settlement up or something?

I like Shadows of Brimstone but it isn't grim or morbid enough for Darkest Dungeon. It's a weird west dungeon crawler the sequel coming out next year is samurai vs demons in feudal Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Torchbearer is pretty much the go-to game for the low fantasy resource management style.

I have this nebulous idea of porting a more standard task resolution system into Torchbearer. I love the game but getting people invested in the BW system with D&D trappings is weirdly difficult.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any RPGs or even board games that at least somewhat resemble Darkest Dungeon on PC? I would assume some form of Cthulu would get the dread aspect pretty easily.

I think WHFRP3e could work well for this too.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Shadows of the Demon Lords is 100% Darkest Dungeon, right down to the old-school turn based combat and going gibberingly-insane mid fight 'cause a demon spit organ-slurry on you.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The Great Goon Chapter challenge should be a cool watch. 3 pages in and a guy already had a violent and reasonable reaction to getting Hippos

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Len posted:

Hearing how people who actually play and like the game talk about it that titty monster game? I don't know why it's name is escaping me but it's just titties all over for the aesthetic but the gameplay is the players building a settlement up or something?

I like Shadows of Brimstone but it isn't grim or morbid enough for Darkest Dungeon. It's a weird west dungeon crawler the sequel coming out next year is samurai vs demons in feudal Japan

I assume you're talking about Kingdom Death: Monster.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Shadows of the Demon Lords is 100% Darkest Dungeon, right down to the old-school turn based combat and going gibberingly-insane mid fight 'cause a demon spit organ-slurry on you.

I'll second this notion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm on a Facebook game for boardgames and a guy is looking for playtesters for a game. It's certainly A Thing...

quote:

The game is for 2-4 players for ages 17+. The objective of the game is to be the first player to reach the "Not the Hood" square. Playing item cards, up to 2 per turn, players try to match the color of the card they played (black or white) with the color of the randomly selected event (black or white). If you have any questions feel free to message me. Have fun!

Here's the board. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5IKt7OLxNS5ZzFKb1ZKdERvUHc/view it's pretty racist.

And as an unrelated thing has anyone tried using meetup.com for a game group? I've seen it mentioned a couple times recently and I'm tempted but I've heard all horror story and no good. I just want a single good story and I'll try. I'm desperate to actually play a game again.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 17, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I use it and haven't had any horror stories aside from a guy who didn't really get Masks. Just bail if you smell piss and you should be fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a certain irony in TRPGs having been the birthplace of the dungeon crawl, but then Darkest Dungeon makes for a really cool dungeon crawler, and then people are trying to backport it, into TRPGs.

Especially since a lot of the pieces were already there to begin with. Take your game of D&D, compress the equipment list into single units of "Camping Supplies", set it as a rule that the players write-off the entire dungeon and can't go back if they bail-out, apply global buffs/debuffs based on the light level, and you're 99% there.

You'd really only need a dedicated system because the Stress/Insanity rules are fiddly enough that you might not want to homebrew them yourself, but even then you're hard pressed to find something that already does that out-of-the-box because more TRPGs that do have Insanity stats tend to use them as bars that only ever go down as an inescapable death sentence for your character, rather than Darkest Dungeon's "how long do you stay, how risky will you be?" meter

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a certain irony in TRPGs having been the birthplace of the dungeon crawl, but then Darkest Dungeon makes for a really cool dungeon crawler, and then people are trying to backport it, into TRPGs.

Especially since a lot of the pieces were already there to begin with. Take your game of D&D, compress the equipment list into single units of "Camping Supplies", set it as a rule that the players write-off the entire dungeon and can't go back if they bail-out, apply global buffs/debuffs based on the light level, and you're 99% there.

You'd really only need a dedicated system because the Stress/Insanity rules are fiddly enough that you might not want to homebrew them yourself, but even then you're hard pressed to find something that already does that out-of-the-box because more TRPGs that do have Insanity stats tend to use them as bars that only ever go down as an inescapable death sentence for your character, rather than Darkest Dungeon's "how long do you stay, how risky will you be?" meter

I feel like any Darkest Dungeon TRPG that doesn't actually try to recreate the "linear tactical" combat system where positioning matters in terms of which abilities can be used on which enemies and where forced movement that reshuffles the party is a cause for panic is missing the point imo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

I feel like any Darkest Dungeon TRPG that doesn't actually try to recreate the "linear tactical" combat system where positioning matters in terms of which abilities can be used on which enemies and where forced movement that reshuffles the party is a cause for panic is missing the point imo.

That's fair. It's just that most of the time when I see someone wanting to emulate Darkest Dungeon, it's more about the light meter/dungeon crawl/stress mechanics.

I do agree that the combat system is hella cool and innovative, and actually gets to create a bunch of tactical decisions for the player without having to resort to full on grid-based combat, but still keeps things strictly controlled enough to not fall into Theater of the Mind mealy-mouthed compromises.

I suppose the bigger takeaway here is that there are enough (good) parts of Darkest Dungeon that we should specify which ones we want to poach.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

quote:

quote:

So my wife and me live in the Cutler Bay South Florida area and we are planning on starting our own gaming store in this area.
What would you like to see in a gaming store in this area and what would in your opinion be a good location?

What's your level of retail experience?

17 years at the Home Depot

Godspeed if he can make it work, but if that's the kind of response you're pulling out to "What's your relevant experience?" I'm guessing I'll see the mushroom cloud from here in the Midwest.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The Darkest Dungeon stress rules are better than the vast majority of ttrpg equivalents on account of it having the bright idea of having a character's freakout only last a mission and not turn them into an unplayable sack of poo poo forever.
Also DD actually has effective therapy & related services (of a sort), which stands out a lot in comparison.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

That Old Tree posted:

quote:

quote:

What's your level of retail experience?

17 years at the Home Depot

Godspeed if he can make it work, but if that's the kind of response you're pulling out to "What's your relevant experience?" I'm guessing I'll see the mushroom cloud from here in the Midwest.

Let's be honest. Most people wanting to start a game store have "I like games" and "how hard could it be?" as their qualifications. I mean, the dude's almost certainly doomed, but no moreso than most gamestore owners.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't suppose I'll ever know where that book came from...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I skipped over the last dozen or so pages of thread, so I'm not sure if it was discussed recently or not: has anyone who was in the beta for Star Trek Adventures checked out the release version, to see if they fixed some of the issues that people were mentioning about being able to endlessly stack Momentum?

I grabbed the PDF off of DriveThru last week and have been reading through it, and it's actually looks like it'd be a solid game (minus the proofreading errors, which are everywhere). Once you get used to and understand the fifteen different kinds of Motivation/Value/Determination/Momentum/blahblah it seems like it'd be pretty fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the best thing about Darkest Dungeon's stress stuff is sometimes your characters just knuckle down and become stronger under pressure, and it feels cool as hell

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kai Tave posted:

This has never stopped anyone in the history of the hobby from weighing in, often extensively, about whatever game strikes their fancy and I see no reason why we should change our ways now.

Ok, I made one.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't suppose I'll ever know where that book came from...
The artist Liartown.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Countblanc posted:

the best thing about Darkest Dungeon's stress stuff is sometimes your characters just knuckle down and become stronger under pressure, and it feels cool as hell

I was watching a DD LP lately (of the new DLC, Crimson Court) and the guy had a level zero Antiquarian in his party. She was just racking up the stress compared to the others, who were all level 2 iirc, and one unlucky hit put her over the top. But instead she gets POWERFUL and immediately buffs the rest of the party and then scores a critical hit for 7 damage, killing a monster immediately. For the rest of the dungeon run she was just constantly buffing the others and lowering their stress. It was amazing the sort of mini-narrative being written by the game.

I've picked up SotDL with the intent of maybe running it, but I haven't gotten stuck into it yet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I genuinely don't get all the love for darkest dungeon. The art style is great and it has quite a few cool ideas, but it has enough content for a game maybe a third of its length, and higher level combat generally comes down to finding a single exploitable strategy and hammering it. After finishing it, my prevailing feeling was that I would have preferred to play an Etrian Odyssey game instead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I genuinely don't get all the love for darkest dungeon. The art style is great and it has quite a few cool ideas, but it has enough content for a game maybe a third of its length, and higher level combat generally comes down to finding a single exploitable strategy and hammering it. After finishing it, my prevailing feeling was that I would have preferred to play an Etrian Odyssey game instead.

I'd rather play the ultimate dungeon crawler game, one that made every single other entry in the genre look like poo poo by non-neanderthal brained people. Of course I'm talking about Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire, which arrived 07/07/17 after more two decades of work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

In a way the default game mode is actually kind of flat because there's never any strategic-level pressure: even if you lose all your good heroes, there's nothing stopping you from continuing the game except your patience to level-up more of them from ground-zero again.

It's not until Darkest mode where there's actually some pressure to do well and have a plan, because there's a hard limit on time and dead heroes.

And then it's not until Lightest mode where the grind is easy enough to be tolerable without becoming rote.

I suspect that some of the fondness for DD also comes from the aesthetic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

In a way the default game mode is actually kind of flat because there's never any strategic-level pressure: even if you lose all your good heroes, there's nothing stopping you from continuing the game except your patience to level-up more of them from ground-zero again.

It's not until Darkest mode where there's actually some pressure to do well and have a plan, because there's a hard limit on time and dead heroes.

And then it's not until Lightest mode where the grind is easy enough to be tolerable without becoming rote.

I suspect that some of the fondness for DD also comes from the aesthetic.

The voice over is amazing and I want him for my tabletop games.

"A time to perform beyond ones limits" :black101:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DungeonsDonald/status/887304857316667392

Anyone still got that picture of the dudes that burned their 4e books after 5e released (was announced)?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The voice over is amazing and I want him for my tabletop games.

"A time to perform beyond ones limits" :black101:

Wayne June is best known for narrating Lovecraft's work for audiobooks back in the day. I have no doubt that's why he was picked as the narrator. Guy sounds like a harried Orson Welles, and is a delight to listen to. Here's a sample of his most recent lovecraft work.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can't say I disagree with the POTUS in that matter

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyone still got that picture of the dudes that burned their 4e books after 5e released (was announced)?

"We will make a new edition and have Fantasy Flight write and pay for it! #MDADGA"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is he wrong. IS he wrong. IS he loving wrong. Is h-

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Burning books because you don't like the content is wrong. :colbert:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LongDarkNight posted:

Yeah, they should be recycled into other books.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

LongDarkNight posted:

counterpoint: I burned a copy of Name of the Wind and my only regret is not taking more pictures of it :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

"we'll let 5th edition fail"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

He is not.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Reene posted:

counterpoint: I burned a copy of Name of the Wind and my only regret is not taking more pictures of it :colbert:

Does that really count as a "book", though?

Dec 26, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

He's'nt.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
So my daughter's starting kindergarten next month and she's just on the cusp of being able to read on her own. I'd like to do something with her to encourage that which I would also enjoy. I have a lot of experience with Magic but the aesthetic doesn't appeal to her and the design is a little too complex just yet anyway.

Does anyone have experience with the My Little Pony game? Is it any more kid-friendly in a gameplay sense? I know there's also the Pokemon TCG but I'd rather not get her into that if I can avoid it. Are there any other good kid-focused TCGs that you know of?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

FordCQC posted:

So my daughter's starting kindergarten next month and she's just on the cusp of being able to read on her own. I'd like to do something with her to encourage that which I would also enjoy. I have a lot of experience with Magic but the aesthetic doesn't appeal to her and the design is a little too complex just yet anyway.

Does anyone have experience with the My Little Pony game? Is it any more kid-friendly in a gameplay sense? I know there's also the Pokemon TCG but I'd rather not get her into that if I can avoid it. Are there any other good kid-focused TCGs that you know of?

You can find a buncha dead TCGs really cheap and then use those, ton of kid franchises have them, shoot, I'll send you my starter decks from the Spongebob TCG if you skype me your address.

So it's easier to advise, why are you adverse to Pokemon? It's actually pretty decently designed and the Battle Arena decks are meant to be played against each other (the Keldeo/Rayquaza ones are even good!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
When it comes to kids her age, you can't just buy Pokemon cards and call it a day. She'll also want toys and videos and so on. We've already got a slew of MLP stuff, plus I know she likes it and knows the characters. The familiarity of it all means it's more likely she'll be invested in it as well. Pokemon might also appeal to her, but like I said, I'm more likely to shell out for even more stuff.

• Locked thread