Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Shame the game is so zoomed in.

That's the hardest part about watching these skill preview videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

why not stick charged dash - cwc - flame dash, or lightning warp, into it?

I mean you're still stuck with the issue of comboing it with a spell when you won't have cast speed at all nor being able to fit more than faster casting or the like. It might still be decent if Charged Dash interacts nicely with CWC + another movement skill but you're also stuck with a 4L that does nothing else which people (rightly) criticize Lightning Warp for as it is when compared to the choice movement skills out there. And LW can make do with a 3L on a cast-speed focused kinda build which I doubt this kinda set-up could.

I mean, I don't think this skill is meant as 'generic moveskill' so in that way it's fine. Just really would have preferred that for Wands. Not that they don't need this kinda skill too, Wands have very few options as it is.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

Shame the game is so zoomed in.

That's really my only problem with this game. When I played around launch you could zoom out more by using cheatengine. Anyone know if that still works and is not really causing bans? I am pretty hyped for oriath but the zoom in...

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Gyaru posted:

That's really my only problem with this game. When I played around launch you could zoom out more by using cheatengine. Anyone know if that still works and is not really causing bans? I am pretty hyped for oriath but the zoom in...

Even if it did work, you would get banned.

I don't understand the zoom complaints. It feels about the same zoom level as Diablo 2 to me, which is fine. The game is also balanced around the current zoom level. Ranged builds would be even more OP if you could see further. What games are people comparing the zoom level to anyway?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mentat Radnor posted:

Even if it did work, you would get banned.

I don't understand the zoom complaints. It feels about the same zoom level as Diablo 2 to me, which is fine. The game is also balanced around the current zoom level. Ranged builds would be even more OP if you could see further. What games are people comparing the zoom level to anyway?

Grim Dawn

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Lungboy posted:

Would Sire of Shards Static Burst be any good?

They showed it off in the preview video, so I'm guessing it would be alright.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I quit playing like a year ago because when I finally started seriously mapping my 150+ ping was just killing me over and over especially against a lot of map bosses where you have to dodge or hide behind pillars or whatever. Like it literally got so frustrating I just quit playing. Is it going to be any better with the new patch that supposedly is going to make life builds better, or are my lag spikes just going to keep killing me?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Boss encounters are even rippier than before so: no, it's not getting better

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jinnigan posted:

Boss encounters are even rippier than before so: no, it's not getting better

D3 ended up in the same direction too, I quit playing that for the same reason, well and the skinner box got way too skinner. Always did prefer PoE because the rewards are much more consistent but it's just no fun when I can't progress in maps anymore because of stupid geographical reasons.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wish they'd add some kind of active block skill that could be used to survive boss attacks without moving out of them. I love PoE but after taking a break for a few months I'm not sure if I wanted to go back, because I'm not the biggest fan of how boss fights are sort of like Bullet Hells. I don't think forced movement in an ARPG is the best thing since the same thing that controls movement (mouse position) is what controls your attacks, every time I have to move my focus off of the target I'm fighting and to where I want to move it feels like an interruption. It sort of works in ARPGs like Diablo 3 where your character movement is snappy and near-instantaneous but all the movement in PoE is kind of sluggish and even the movement skills have small delays on them.

Manual cast Immortal Call would be pretty drat sweet for this if it didn't have an almost 1sec cast time and worked on all damage types.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

deep dish peat moss posted:

I wish they'd add some kind of active block skill that could be used to survive boss attacks without moving out of them. I love PoE but after taking a break for a few months I'm not sure if I wanted to go back, because I'm not the biggest fan of how boss fights are sort of like Bullet Hells. I don't think forced movement in an ARPG is the best thing since the same thing that controls movement (mouse position) is what controls your attacks, every time I have to move my focus off of the target I'm fighting and to where I want to move it feels like an interruption. It sort of works in ARPGs like Diablo 3 where your character movement is snappy and near-instantaneous but all the movement in PoE is kind of sluggish and even the movement skills have small delays on them.

Manual cast Immortal Call would be pretty drat sweet for this if it didn't have an almost 1sec cast time and worked on all damage types.

Isn't that basically what flasks are supposed to be for? Defense boost for some time, resist boost, whatever boost. Maybe there needs to be flasks better designed for rippy bossfights, I dunno.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I guess it is, but it's really hard to generate flask charges against bosses and you generally still have to move out of big attacks even if you flask.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't think forced movement in an ARPG is the best thing since the same thing that controls movement (mouse position) is what controls your attacks, every time I have to move my focus off of the target I'm fighting and to where I want to move it feels like an interruption.

You can bind walk to left click, it's good.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 18, 2017

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Washout posted:

I quit playing like a year ago because when I finally started seriously mapping my 150+ ping was just killing me over and over especially against a lot of map bosses where you have to dodge or hide behind pillars or whatever. Like it literally got so frustrating I just quit playing. Is it going to be any better with the new patch that supposedly is going to make life builds better, or are my lag spikes just going to keep killing me?

Where do you live? It's possible they've added servers closer to you that will help your ping. The enhancements to graphics stuff will not impact your ping.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
please dont engage the zoom conversation it's low hanging fruit you all keep eating.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
The only zoom I'm interested in is the go fast variety

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Since they fixed cyclone, are adding a threshold jewel vendor, and the new mini map is awesome my chief complaints are uh...traps? Scion ascendency? Probably something else.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Been too lazy to ask for reinvite every time I start playing again for bits and spurs but with the race on now I'm tired of empty chat and waiting for masters to level, invite for Wandanalldayerryday would be nice

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Since they fixed cyclone, are adding a threshold jewel vendor, and the new mini map is awesome my chief complaints are uh...traps? Scion ascendency? Probably something else.

Wander movement skill, Yugul boss fight, templar neck and pants, map boss hp, Zana accent, ummmmm

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

please dont engage the zoom conversation it's low hanging fruit you all keep eating.

maybe we can talk about how the inventory and the stash don't have auto-sort and you have to sort everything manually every time you need to make room for new drops, which is like every 3 minutes especially if you are running with +rare drop leaguestones

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

maybe we can talk about how the inventory and the stash don't have auto-sort and you have to sort everything manually every time you need to make room for new drops, which is like every 3 minutes especially if you are running with +rare drop leaguestones

i liked you better when you posted in the d3 thread how poe was better or was it the other way around?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

i think what we should do is make every item the same size and then you'll never have to inventory sort again!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

picking up every rare is a waste of time.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Why are people in this thread so hostile to features that would make the game unambiguously better without removing anything or changing mechanics?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

enraged_camel posted:

Kild posted:

picking up every rare is a waste of time.

This. Get a good item filter (Greengroove and Neversink seem to be popular ones; I use the latter).

Jinnigan posted:

Wander movement skill, Yugul boss fight, templar neck and pants, map boss hp, Zana accent, ummmmm

RIP old Zana and old Ranger.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
For the curious about self RF, I'll be Streaming RF / Scorching Ray for the 2W HC event.

E: Done streaming for now, will start it up again later tonight

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 19, 2017

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Mover posted:

Why are people in this thread so hostile to features that would make the game unambiguously better without removing anything or changing mechanics?

You can only preach to the choir so many times before they turn on you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

i liked you better when you posted in the d3 thread how poe was better or was it the other way around?

POE is definitely better, at least when it comes to the sheer amount of content in it. D3 was great around the RoS initial release but they absolutely dropped the ball after that.

But POE also inarguably shows its age when it comes to its user interface and some of its broader user experience elements.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Some of the UI choices, like limited inventory and lack of sorting, are intentional.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Magus42 posted:

Some of the UI choices, like limited inventory and lack of sorting, are intentional.

I don't mind limited inventory. But no matter how hard I try, I can't see the intent behind lack of sorting, other than "this feature doesn't immediately increase revenue."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
For me it's the fiddlyness outside of core gameplay. Grab a bunch of maps. Chisel them. Go find more chisels. Alch them. Chaos a few incompatible ones, maybe vaal them. Check your leaguestones. Check your whispers for incoming requests. It's just a lot of overhead.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

That's actually the thing I liked the most about Maplestory when I was a teenager. The ability to buy 2000 potions and go to a map and just kill respawning monsters while ignoring everything else for 4 hours at a time.

I'm glad they're removing leaguestones because while they add a lot of stuff, they're absolutely miserable for gameplay.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

League stones are just about the only thing I have disliked about this game.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

League stones are just about the only thing I have disliked about this game.

they seemed like such a great idea in theory but Legacy is the fastest I've quit a league

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
What's the problem with them? Completely new player here played like an hour but starting in 3.0 for real

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I feel like the mayhem race race was a way better implementation of what legacy league was trying to be.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

they seemed like such a great idea in theory but Legacy is the fastest I've quit a league

Honestly it had been a long while since I played before legacy and I didn't even realize I really disliked them until the first two week mayhem race started. It was like playing covered in syrup.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Garfu posted:

What's the problem with them? Completely new player here played like an hour but starting in 3.0 for real

It's a bunch of extra fiddling around you have to do between maps when anyone serious about leveling to 90 and beyond is running a dozen or more of them in an hour.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Garfu posted:

There was a lot of pressure to be running with good ones; if you weren't you were pretty much just playing standard. Most of them were total garbage that didn't reward the player in any conceivable way, and the ones that were worth running were expensive and bloated the hell out of your maps. It was a fun novelty playing with way more enemies and loot than normal but it really bogged down the game after a while. There was too much loot to sort through even with super strict filters so the economy was terrible and became even more feast-or-famine than normal. They woulda been a cool week long race league but it was dumb for a full league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
If Legacy had just been randomized league mods when it spawned a zone, or the hour-long blocks like Mayhem, I think it would've been a lot nicer.

• Locked thread