Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

WoodrowSkillson posted:

gently caress you internet for ruining my randy savage wedding reference.

Even though it was broken I was like "I bet that's Jake the Snake ruining Randy Savage's wedding".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Please tell me there is a response that simply reads "yes." with like a trillion upvotes.

"Yes, he is abusing you." then some more stuff after that but that's the top comment

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

new phone who dis posted:

Even though it was broken I was like "I bet that's Jake the Snake ruining Randy Savage's wedding".

Elizabeth, no!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"Lol OK Princess SJW."

*Hits rewind to last scene on Irréversible, slaps knee and guffaws loudly*

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Broad categories of r/relationship posts:

The OP should just type the words they typed to reddit to the person they are having the conflict/trouble with, usually in a direct but maybe slightly more diplomatic way.

The OP poses a question that if you have to ask is answered "Yes."

The OP should grab their bug-out bag and leave a doormat to take their place in the relationship if they feel bad about bolting.

Subset of above: The OP is cohabitating with an adult baby with literally no redeeming qualities and it's difficult to understand why this is even a question.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I like to imagine him getting on one knee to propose and right as she's about to accept he flips her off with both hands and Stone Cold Stunners her, then wanders around the house smashing beers together and mugging for the pets.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Broad categories of r/relationship posts:

The OP should just type the words they typed to reddit to the person they are having the conflict/trouble with, usually in a direct but maybe slightly more diplomatic way.

The OP poses a question that if you have to ask is answered "Yes."

The OP should grab their bug-out bag and leave a doormat to take their place in the relationship if they feel bad about bolting.

Subset of above: The OP is cohabitating with an adult baby with literally no redeeming qualities and it's difficult to understand why this is even a question.

With these criteria somebody could probably program a bot that just produces horrifying relationship stories procedurally

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
[CA] A misunderstanding between me and an old lady turned into her thinking I was trying to rob her, I desperately need advice I am only 16

quote:

Okay what had happened was I was leaving my friend's house at night and going to catch the bus back to my place. There was a little old lady there waiting on the bus too. She seemed so afraid of me which I thought was the funniest thing because I am a scrawny harmless kid and in my high mindset I thought it would be hilarious to pretend like I was trying to rob her, but it was obviously a joke!!! I was cracking up the whole time!!

What I did was I put my hand in my Hoodie pocket like a gun and said "give me your money" or whatever and the lady freaked the hell out!! She pulled out her money and tried to hand it to me which is when I explained to her that I didn't want it and I was just playing but then she started screaming so I got spooked and ran back to my house dropping my wallet I had in my lap waiting for the bus. My ID is in there with my face address and everything!! This happened Sunday night and I am so scared I have not left my house since. My mom is getting suspicious but I haven't heard anything about it yet. I've been checking the news and checking my name to see if I have a warrant. How do I clear this mess up???

quote:

I know I was an idiot to do that but I'm really a good kid, I always make good grades in school and I'm going to be dual enrolled next year I have never gotten in any trouble before!! I am on my way to becoming a doctor I don't want to mess up my life!!

quote:

I know I am a moron but I was really high on weed DXM and xanax I was not on a clear minded state I usually do not get to that point where I lose control

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

With these criteria somebody could probably program a bot that just produces horrifying relationship stories procedurally

Could you do that?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Viva Miriya posted:

Could you do that?

I'm not that good at programming...

yet

maybe this would be a fun future project, I like procedural generation a lot

Danaru posted:

[CA] A misunderstanding between me and an old lady turned into her thinking I was trying to rob her, I desperately need advice I am only 16

:| if you're gonna do drugs stay inside the house or go camping somewhere you dummy

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Danaru posted:

Oh yeah we need a category for "it was just a joke/prank" (giving and receiving.)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Oh yeah we need a category for "it was just a joke/prank" (giving and receiving.)

(everything about it)

Weed DXM and xanax is a hell of a cocktail for a 16 year old.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

(everything about it)

you don't get it, he's a good kid

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

(everything about it)

Yeah you can kind of already see where this kid's life is going

Maybe this will be a wakeup call for him. It's weird but I feel like the best possible thing for him would be getting arrested and spending a year or two on probation with random drug tests. Dude, you are way too young to be loving with your brain chemistry like this

edit: On this note, "help me rationalize mine or my partner's substance abuse problems" comes up about once a week ITT

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 18, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he's workshopping his mom's script for when the cops gun him down for attacking a squad car with an axe

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My friends neighbour (36M) invited himself on our cottage trip. I (28F) now have to Un-Invite him.

quote:

Hi guys, Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am just looking to get some outside perspective on this.

My best friend (BFF) has a neighbour, Steve (36M). My friend has young kids that play outside and thus she is often outside watching them and since Steve is unemployed, he is almost always out there as well. While Steve considers them VERY close friends, my BFF does not and once she moves away, they will no longer be in contact. Steve is not a terrible person but has a very grating personality. Always says the wrong thing, can be quite blatantly rude, etc. I try not to spend time around him and my husband very much dislikes him.

I dropped by my friends place a few weeks ago and Steve was outside hovering around, as always. Myself and my husband are renting a large cottage for a week in August and my BFF and her husband and kids are coming for a few days. My BFF is very excited so she mentioned this to me, in front of Steve. Steve then INVITED HIMSELF to the cottage, saying he had nothing to do that weekend. I did not say no as I was so completely caught off guard. I had absolutely no idea what to say, I find it very unfair that he would ask me that, I mean, we barely know each other!!!! (I later learned this is a very 'Steve' thing to do, he imposes on people and invites himself places all the time)

I told my husband about it later and he was a little ticked at me for not saying no right then and there but holy poo poo it was just really a shock to me, I had no idea what to say. I wish I could have thought of something at the time, but unfortunately I didn't.

The bottom line is, Steve is someone who we do not get along with and we do not want them at our cottage vacation. My husband and I literally get one vacation a year and this is it. I'll be spending $800+food+ time off work for both my husband and I (neither of us get paid vacation time). This cottage is a big, expensive deal for us when you work in our lost wages and we want to spend it with our close friends. My BFF thinks we should just let him come and deal with it, but I know she's just dreading having to hear from Steve how sad he is that he's not coming. I get that and I feel bad about it but I'm pretty resolved that this has to be the outcome.

I absolutely know I'm going to come across as a jerk in all of this, and who knows maybe I am being one, but I need to let Steve down gently. All advice is much appreciated!!

My idea right now is to tell him that the owner has a strict limit of how many people can be at the cottage and we are over the limit. (I have had rentals where the owner stipulated this so it's not too far out)

TLDR: My best friends annoying neighbour invited himself to our once a year Cottage Trip. I have to let him down gently. Halp!

The most non-issue of non-issues.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

So thats the drug combination that makes you think your life is going right.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

dudeness posted:

Me [18 F] with my bf [19 M] can he change or is he abusive?

The OP posted a follow-up with the title Me [18 F] can't stop stalking the girl [15 F] that my boyfriend [19 M] cheated on me with but the post has been deleted.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Barudak posted:

So thats the drug combination that makes you think your life is going right.

Pretty much the definition of Xanax

Every bartard thinks their life is going great and their habit is under control

As it turns out, anxiety is a useful and valuable part of the human experience and taking a drug that gets rid of it has a negative impact on your judgment

Clearly A Dog
Jun 14, 2017

woof o_o

HardDiskD posted:

My friends neighbour (36M) invited himself on our cottage trip. I (28F) now have to Un-Invite him.

I actually don't understand how this could be any less of a non issue... Tell the guy to choke on a dong

How do these people even have careers.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mirthless posted:

Pretty much the definition of Xanax

Every bartard thinks their life is going great and their habit is under control

As it turns out, anxiety is a useful and valuable part of the human experience and taking a drug that gets rid of it has a negative impact on your judgment

yeah, suck it up people with anxiety disorders!!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

The OP posted a follow-up with the title Me [18 F] can't stop stalking the girl [15 F] that my boyfriend [19 M] cheated on me with but the post has been deleted.

And her brain humpty dumptied.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Clearly A Dog posted:

I actually don't understand how this could be any less of a non issue... Tell the guy to choke on a dong

How do these people even have careers.

It's pretty stunning

Like, "Hey, Steve, we barely know you, we are not taking you on vacation with us like you were our kooky uncle"

"What the gently caress is wrong with you?" would have also been an appropriate response to Steve's behavior

Streak posted:

yeah, suck it up people with anxiety disorders!!!!

I have an anxiety disorder too, I'm not trying to minimize the challenges people with anxiety face.

Read the little pamphlet that comes with Xanax, or Klonopin, or any other Benzodiazepine - It's a spot treatment, meant to treat anxiety in the short term. You're also encouraged to never take more than the prescribed amount. People who take Xanax long-term would be better served by a therapist than a permanent regimen of a drug that impairs your judgment and is extremely physically addictive. No anxiolytic is intended to be used daily on a long term basis.

edit: also I was commenting on people using it recreationally, not as prescribed, which should have been obvious when I started talking about the "habit" that "bartards" have

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 18, 2017

Clearly A Dog
Jun 14, 2017

woof o_o

Mirthless posted:

It's pretty stunning

Like, "Hey, Steve, we barely know you, we are not taking you on vacation with us like you were our kooky uncle"

"What the gently caress is wrong with you?" would have also been an appropriate response to Steve's behavior

I just choked on my drink in front of everyone >_>;

NOW THEY KNOW I'M NOT WORKING.... :aaaaa:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

holy poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Clearly A Dog posted:

I just choked on my drink in front of everyone >_>;

NOW THEY KNOW I'M NOT WORKING.... :aaaaa:

This is why I work from home, so my lols won't disrupt the office environment

If I heard a neighbor I barely know talking about a vacation they were planning the last thing on my mind would be "Cool meet you there"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mirthless posted:

It's pretty stunning

I have an anxiety disorder too, I'm not trying to minimize the challenges people with anxiety face.

Read the little pamphlet that comes with Xanax, or Klonopin, or any other Benzodiazepine - It's a spot treatment, meant to treat anxiety in the short term. You're also encouraged to never take more than the prescribed amount. People who take Xanax long-term would be better served by a therapist than a permanent regimen of a drug that impairs your judgment and is extremely physically addictive. No anxiolytic is intended to be used daily on a long term basis.

edit: also I was commenting on people using it recreationally, not as prescribed, which should have been obvious when I started talking about the "habit" that "bartards" have

Yeah, I have a script for the absolute smallest amount and I only use it when I feel an attack coming on. There's a supervisor at work who's taking something like 2.5mg a day and has been doing it for like 10 years. He would probably die if he stopped.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sounds like both parties are v secure and healthy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
You'd think your abusive boyfriend committing statutory rape (I think?) would be a convenient excuse to get out of that hellhole of a relationship

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

HardDiskD posted:

How are people this passive? How could you not just shoot them down on the spot I don't really get it. Obviously it was super rude to ask but I never really will understand people who can't even be firm with boundaries in the most mundane of situations.

Funniest solution would be to just not tell him when you're going/where the cabin is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the reddit hall of mirrors

My (22F) friend of 9 years posted about me on Reddit

quote:

So I[23F]was hanging out with my [22F]friend and she was looking at her phone. She showed me something on Reddit and I happened to see her username. This was a few days ago. Last night I got to thinking and decided to look it up. (Not saying I'm right for doing it but I'm being honest) So I start going through and I see a post that she deleted so I can't see the original, but I can see the comments. It was in the fatpeoplestories subreddit and it was obviously about me. It was a friend from high school, who smokes, and is obviously fat. I'm not making excuses for myself, but I have had a lot of medical poo poo I've been trying to deal with, on top of my depression, which she knows. I made some lovely choices about my health, but she made me sound like a 500lb whale drinking butter. It really hurt in a lot of different ways. I don't really know how to deal with this. I always considered her my best friend and would've never thought she would say this about me. Now I know that every time she sees me I'm just a big fat hippo to her.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm actually on vacation with her. My family brought her with us to the beach for 2 weeks. We're on day 4

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Some people aren't assertive at all.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ArbitraryC posted:

How are people this passive? How could you not just shoot them down on the spot I don't really get it. Obviously it was super rude to ask but I never really will understand people who can't even be firm with boundaries in the most mundane of situations.

Funniest solution would be to just not tell him when you're going/where the cabin is.

I got into a situation like this.

I was at my parents house for 4th of July a few years back and the neighbors were having a big party. They were these tatted up cholo-looking dudes. I was walking by and one of them staggered out, drunk as gently caress, and mistook me for another neighbor named Chris. He talked to me for a little bit in the way drunks do, and I didn't bother correcting him on the name because he could barely stand up and I figured he wouldn't remember anyway. The next week he saw me again when he was sober and called me Chris again. I know this was the moment to tell him, but for some reason I didn't. Getting mistaken for the other white dude in the neighborhood was amusing and also I felt kind of bad for not telling the dude the first time. Also, I felt like I would hardly ever be seeing this dude.

Then he moved into the same apartment complex he had been partying at and I saw him all the time, him always calling me Chris. I was way past the point of no return for correcting him and it was past being funny. I really had no idea what to do because it was totally my fault and every time I saw him I just dug the hole deeper. Eventually, my dad was around one time when I was talking to him and he heard him call me Chris and my dad corrected him. I braced for it to be super loving awkward and apologize profusely but the dude was just like "Oh, ok. Sorry about that, man." We fist bumped and we cool now, he even calls me by my real name.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the reddit hall of mirrors

My (22F) friend of 9 years posted about me on Reddit

Of course you arent a butter drinking whale, Fudgie, youre made out of ice cream.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Yeah, I have a script for the absolute smallest amount and I only use it when I feel an attack coming on. There's a supervisor at work who's taking something like 2.5mg a day and has been doing it for like 10 years. He would probably die if he stopped.

A coworker/friend of mine is probably this kid in five years; he's 22 and on felony probation (for selling drugs) and it's a running slightly-morbid joke that "sober" means he's only on shitloads of kratom and klonopin, maybe a couple of beers. He's basically the poster child for "why you should probably not pop benzos/opioids like tic tacs". Pretty sure he'd be worse off if he stopped though, at least without some serious detox/rehab.

Clearly A Dog
Jun 14, 2017

woof o_o

I got into a situation like this.

I was at my parents house for 4th of July a few years back and the neighbors were having a big party. They were these tatted up cholo-looking dudes. I was walking by and one of them staggered out, drunk as gently caress, and mistook me for another neighbor named Chris. He talked to me for a little bit in the way drunks do, and I didn't bother correcting him on the name because he could barely stand up and I figured he wouldn't remember anyway. The next week he saw me again when he was sober and called me Chris again. I know this was the moment to tell him, but for some reason I didn't. Getting mistaken for the other white dude in the neighborhood was amusing and also I felt kind of bad for not telling the dude the first time. Also, I felt like I would hardly ever be seeing this dude.

Then he moved into the same apartment complex he had been partying at and I saw him all the time, him always calling me Chris. I was way past the point of no return for correcting him and it was past being funny. I really had no idea what to do because it was totally my fault and every time I saw him I just dug the hole deeper. Eventually, my dad was around one time when I was talking to him and he heard him call me Chris and my dad corrected him. I braced for it to be super loving awkward and apologize profusely but the dude was just like "Oh, ok. Sorry about that, man." We fist bumped and we cool now, he even calls me by my real name.

imo this is pretty different then mr self-inviter and the girl who couldn't stop bitching.

but grats - the guy sounds like a cool dude, Chris :3

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Barudak posted:

Of course you arent a butter drinking whale, Fudgie, youre made out of ice cream.

quote:

You have a lot of posts in a subreddit about roasting people. I assume people submit their own photos for ridicule, but it's a little ironic considering. Have you asked your friend about her post?

it's literally her entire post history before this thread

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 18, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

I used to work in an office with a guy who was Steve incarnate. (I suspect he was on the spectrum). He would just post up at someone's desk and talk about nothing for half an hour or more, despite people trying very nicely to insinuate that they were busy and couldn't talk right now. I would just tell him, "leave me alone, I'm busy." and that worked like a charm. It was always baffling to me that nobody else seemed to understand that he wasn't playing by the same social rules as they were, so they didn't have to respect those rules to deal with him.

I mean, people are trained 24/7 in the rules of social engagement for their entire lives, so its unsurprising that when someone just bumbles right over all of those rules people don't know how to react.

I, however, have had years of training in being an rear end in a top hat.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Panfilo posted:

See though your reaction is how he was able to get away with it for so long. Because from everybody else's perspective looking at this with 20/20 hindsight it is her fault. So every time there's an issue the burden is suddenly on her to do something about it, when he's not doing jack poo poo. But technically he is working on being lazy because if he was truly lazy he wouldn't be able to proactively manipulate the situation so that he could put himself in that position. The lazy sociopath didn't shack up with the first desperate woman that came along, he targeted her specifically.

Uhh or maybe other women didn't marry (or even long term date) do nothings?

I take issue with terming every mildly bad behavior into :airquote:sociopathy:airquote:

Not everyone is a great mate - you don't just keep dating someone as long as they don't hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Intruder posted:

You'd think your abusive boyfriend committing statutory rape (I think?) would be a convenient excuse to get out of that hellhole of a relationship

He may be a pedophile, but he's my pedophile, dammit!