Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

these new emojis are promoting an unrealistic vision of the human form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

not
at
this
distance

good. I'm tired of seeing their ugly emoji in screenshots

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Cerv posted:

why does HTC even need to ship a keyboard? doesn't android come with a default one

welcome to the joy of anroid, where every manufacturer sells out their customers by replacing googles perfectly ok apps and interfaces with their own horseshit that cant be uninstalled or disabled w/o going full neckbeard admin and rooting

also if any company dares not do this and just ships a standard distro, ~phone journalists~ will dock points for shipping a boring os that they dont have to janitor 5 times a day

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Breakfast All Day posted:

also if any company dares not do this and just ships a standard distro, ~phone journalists~ will dock points for shipping a boring os that they dont have to janitor 5 times a day

really? i've found that it's almost worse. not falling flat on your face by releasing an ugly, unusable custom ui and just using the freely available google apps/ux is considered an exceptional triumph that raises the score higher than it would otherwise have been rather than, y'know, the bare minimum

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

googles perfectly ok apps and interfaces

whoa there

pram
Jun 10, 2001
andoid

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
[android user voice] i love my bad gay phone

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
anroid https://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/android-backdoor-ghostctrl-can-silently-record-your-audio-video-and-more/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My S3 died randomly yesterday so I went and bought a Samsung J3 because it was the cheapest phone available that wasn't used or a flip phone. I see that Samsung realized their default apps are loving trash and now its mostly Google stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite feature is how you can change the phone's theme but you can't set any of these settings manually, at least not with any pre-installed apps. What's the point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

android:

Larry Parrish posted:

What's the point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

My S3 died randomly yesterday so I went and bought a Samsung J3 because it was the cheapest phone available that wasn't used or a flip phone. I see that Samsung realized their default apps are loving trash and now its mostly Google stuff.

they don't do this on their flagship phones. they probably only do it on their cheap ones since they literally only put them out to sell mroe units

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
anroid

https://twitter.com/sean_a_cassidy/status/887302662714146816

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

works in latvia, wontfix

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

google doing god's work killing off the poors and autists

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

works in latvia, wontfix

iirc dialing 112 from a gsm phone in north america will get you emergency services too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

iirc dialing 112 from a gsm phone in north america will get you emergency services too

yeah emergency calls get handled differently than normal calls so the phone can just match any emergency number but that's why cryanogen phones crash I guess

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

welcome to the joy of anroid, where every manufacturer sells out their customers by replacing googles perfectly ok apps and interfaces with their own horseshit that cant be uninstalled or disabled w/o going full neckbeard admin and rooting

otoh people have been saying this since the early days, and when i did try vanilla android in the 1.5-2.1 era it turns out it was absolutely laughable trash and the manufacturer modifications were obviously necessary. a very recurring pattern to android stuff overall, getting told that something is the way to go and finding that it is actually a garbage fire, but as long as i commit to another thing it has been fixed or replaced or whatever (but turns out to be a different garbage fire)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh people have been saying this since the early days, and when i did try vanilla android in the 1.5-2.1 era it turns out it was absolutely laughable trash and the manufacturer modifications were obviously necessary. a very recurring pattern to android stuff overall, getting told that something is the way to go and finding that it is actually a garbage fire, but as long as i commit to another thing it has been fixed or replaced or whatever (but turns out to be a different garbage fire)

ONE POINT FIVE DASH TWO POINT ONE

:wtc:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this is legitimately the pants on head dumbest android post ive seen in yospos yet

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

you mean the cupcake - eclair era.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ONE POINT FIVE DASH TWO POINT ONE

:wtc:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is legitimately the pants on head dumbest android post ive seen in yospos yet

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when i plug my telephonic gizmo into alexanders circuity, the voice fidelity wasnt good. i could hear better recording on a phonograph and sending it by stagecoach like a respectable gentleman. these wires and contraptions are just terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

you mean the cupcake - eclair era.

thank you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hmm? is there a complaint here other than guarantees that it is now all different?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

The so called 911 phone reboot is caused by the users' eyes persistence of vision (visual staying phenomenon or duration of vision)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

The so called 911 phone reboot is caused by the users' eyes persistence of vision (visual staying phenomenon or duration of vision)

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

love my new jesus battery feature. my phone's battery go does to 15%, i get the low battery level persistent status alert in notifications. i leave the phone alone, and now im looking at 19% low battery alert. have been noticing this take charging for some time now, probably will explode horribly in my hands soon

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

now i burned through 4% of this fake battery charge in 4 minutes of browsing sa app, and low battery alert did pop up once more, and disappear completely

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:anroid:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
get a new battery ya dingaling

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

get a new battery ya dingaling

its a nexus 5 that i intend to replace within half a year or, so no bueno. to replace on my own i need bunch of special tools (its sitting in a particularly annoyingly shaped and poorly accessible depression, held inside with a hefty chunk of special glue) and i cant be arsed to pay for battery + service. it gets me through 2/3s of a workday, and i'll charge it up before leaving the office

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

get a good phone ya dingaling

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im very attentively waiting for what apple has got to show in september, yes. its either that or some pile of poo poo for 3 hundo, im not spending 800 eurodollars on a phone with at best 3 year security update guarantee

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

But in practice, using Bixby Voice to do things on your phone is not any faster or easier than just tapping the touchscreen the old fashioned way. It takes so long for Bixby Voice to launch (whether I press and hold the Bixby button to activate listening mode or use the “Hi Bixby” wake command) and hear what I’m saying that I could have performed the task three times by the time it has processed what I said and performed my action.

Further, there are many times when I ask Bixby to do something and it either doesn’t understand me or just doesn’t do what I expect it to. Just this morning I asked Bixby to “take a screenshot and share it to Twitter.” It got the screenshot part right, but then it attempted to share the image in a private DM conversation instead of a public tweet. I had to start the process all over again in order to do what I could have done manually the first time.

Basically, after weeks of using Bixby Voice, I still can’t trust that it will do what I want it to. That means that I won’t use it and will continue to use my phone the same way I always have. Trust will be even more important when Samsung brings Bixby to other appliances — the last thing I need is to ask my washing machine to wash delicates and have it instead set itself to high spin and hot water modes.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im very attentively waiting for what apple has got to show in september, yes. its either that or some pile of poo poo for 3 hundo, im not spending 800 eurodollars on a phone with at best 3 year security update guarantee

get an iphone se

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mishaq posted:

get an iphone se
a bit too small for me, a friend has got one.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bixby is the most obnoxious name to say goddamn

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a bit too small for me

txt me :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU