Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh, gotcha. They call it Vanish in the actual game but for the tutorial part they called it Clear. Weird.

that's because the spell name is vanish, but the status name is actually listed as clear/invisible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

"Clear" will not make "Doom" work on bosses, though - that sort of douchebaggery doesn't fly here anymore.

I wonder if this is a reference to the original game or an older version of BNW.

This would be referencing the Vanish - Doom trick. Vanish is a spell that makes characters immune to attacks but magic always hits - due to a bug the magic always hits part overrides status immunity, notably this includes the insta-death causing Doom spell working on many bosses.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh, gotcha. They call it Vanish in the actual game but for the tutorial part they called it Clear. Weird.

But wow, FFVI seems to have a lot of exploits.
Like many cartridge-based games, FFVI uses every single available bit of memory, much like the original Pokemon games. That means there's nothing left for error checking. It will just try to accept whatever bit of data it runs into. Since there's so many different things that can happen and ways things can interact, you can get some real weird bugs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

what the gently caress :psyduck:

in vanilla ff6, gau should have about 400HP when you fight kefka in narshe

what kind of disorder do you need to have to make an overhaul mod for a game and not balance the math at all

Well here's the party that went up against Kefka:
level 10 Gau
HP: 156

Level 11 Celes
HP: 282

Level 13 Cyan
HP: 382

Maybe Gau needs to focus more on Evade than Defense. Or maybe I was underleveled, I dunno.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lol i kinda skimmed nikkolas king's original post about it and only just saw "that kind of douchebaggery" when you quoted it

that's about the most pretentious, masturbatory, and insulting way i've ever heard someone describe "using a glitch in a video game"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Those numbers are all insane. Cyan joins with like 600 HP in vanilla - there's that drat solo fight against the captain, I should know.

e: to above poster, BNW dude writes like that all the time, it's awful

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vanish status reduces MEvade to 0% and ALSO unflags any bits which provide protection for death/eject (or whatever XZone uses).

Also in the original FF6, evade did nothing while MEvade affected both physical and magical attacks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vargatron posted:

Vanish status reduces MEvade to 0% and ALSO unflags any bits which provide protection for death/eject (or whatever XZone uses).

but not break :eng101:

as i learned last night when i was grinding ap on intangirs :eng99:

e: also, this was probably changed in the BNW hack, but locke is actually incredibly useful when you fight kefka and the lancer guarding kefka, because he can steal really good items from them (ethers and elixirs from kefka, powerful (and expensive) armor from the lancer). also, while you can't run from either encounter, losing and getting reset to 1hp also resets both fights but not your inventory, so you can keep stealing advanced equipment from them as long as you have patience for it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 18, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

OG FF6 had about a hundred different ways to break it and a lot of them didn't even require a great deal of creativity, just your 11-year old self going "hm what if I gave this item that makes every single spell cost 1 MP to my party member who can cast Ultima a million times in a row. :thunk:"

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

This is basically the only way to do it. There is an XP gain accessory I think though. How far into the game are you?

Chapter 13, just met Snow and beat the Boss - I assume it's fairly early in the story, seeing as the chapters are quite short.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My favourite 'I accidentally broke the game,' was giving Offering and Fixed Dice to Setzer

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have started up Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World. I know it has some script alterations. I was considering playing this other mod called EvilType but BNW sounds more interesting.

So I just have to hope the new translations and jokes are incidental. I can live with the Soul Train saying "there ain't no gettin' off this train you're on!"

It changes a good bit, but the story's pretty much the same. You can always look at a script later if you're really curious.

quote:

So I let Terra and Edgar wipe out most of Kefka's forces before taking my main trio of Celes, Gau and Cyan against Kefka himself but I am noticing that, in spite of Gau being interesting, he has no loving HP. True, he is at the lowest level of everyone in my party but he's only one level behind Celes yet she has 100 more HP. Gau's pathetic 150 HP is not really workable here from what I've seen. He was eating dirt for the last stretch of that Kefka fight. And this was my second attempt at Kefka because Kefka kept killing Gau in Round 1 and I kept futilely trying to revive him. I am grateful for the fact that my party being wiped only meant I got them all back with 1 HP and had to try again. The thought of running that whole gauntlet again was rather depressing so good game design here.

But yeah, several hours in, I've died lots, also having a lot of fun. I think I can probably go the distance this time around. I certainly can't remember being this invested in the story or gameplay before. I think the fact I have dropped the "so this is the best FF ever, huh?" attitude is probably helping.

Gau got rebalanced to be the most fragile to compensate for him being incredible fast and Rage still being powerful as hell (even though the really busted stuff like Charm got removed). It sucks early on, but there's ways to compensate for that. He's more of an evade tank anyway IIRC.

The White Dragon posted:

lol i kinda skimmed nikkolas king's original post about it and only just saw "that kind of douchebaggery" when you quoted it

that's about the most pretentious, masturbatory, and insulting way i've ever heard someone describe "using a glitch in a video game"

The writing's actually good in places, but it's also really bad in others. I think most of the terrible stuff's been removed by now (a majority of the over-the-top cursing, a particularly awkward scene at the end of the Floating Continent), though there's still a lot of weird meme humor and really old references. It's definitely a hack you should play for the gameplay changes, which are mostly good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
BRAVE NEW WORLD is immensely bullshit and has terrible humor. they assume you will grind continually

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you'll have to forgive my skepticism, i've never met a numerical romhack that didn't belong in the trash. it's always stupid busywork poo poo that keeps you from their "grand design," like the smrpg hack that removes the level cap and adds a ton of cool spells, but replaces thunderbolt with a single-target shocker that's been re-tuned to have thunderbolt's damage formula, and also every mob in the entire game gives 1 exp

exquisite tea posted:

Someone once enthusiastically posted screenshots of the dialogue changes in BNW and it was some of the most embarrassing poo poo I've ever read.

:justpost:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 18, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Someone once enthusiastically posted screenshots of the dialogue changes in BNW and it was some of the most embarrassing poo poo I've ever read.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

corn in the bible posted:

BRAVE NEW WORLD is immensely bullshit and has terrible humor. they assume you will grind continually

Isn't grinding what FF is all about? I'm just about to go and grind against some snowy monsters for an hour or so so everyone can be level 30 and not just Vaan.

Just like an MMO, I find the loop of clearing an area and picking up all the items soothing. It's very possible I'll be playing FFXII for way, way too long.

I'll admit my brain might be a bit broke.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I remember someone did an LP of it and the guy came in the thread calling himself a chocobrony or something

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

atholbrose posted:

Isn't grinding what FF is all about?

no, grinding in ff is about becoming overpowered so you can steamroll roadblock bosses without using the intended victory strategy.

grinding in ff romhacks is about barely keeping up with an exponentially-increasing enemy stat curve

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I remember someone did an LP of it and the guy came in the thread calling himself a chocobrony or something

That was my LP, and he randomly volunteered that he looked at "clop".

That was a fun day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
brutal self own. is it in the archives already or is the thread still in the active forums?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume 'clear' (lol) = vanish. There was a bug in the original game where if you could get vanish to stick on a boss Doom would have 100% chance of killing them.

Doom or x-zone. But if you used x-zone on doomgaze I think, it screwed you out of the esper.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

atholbrose posted:

Isn't grinding what FF is all about? I'm just about to go and grind against some snowy monsters for an hour or so so everyone can be level 30 and not just Vaan.

Just like an MMO, I find the loop of clearing an area and picking up all the items soothing. It's very possible I'll be playing FFXII for way, way too long.

I'll admit my brain might be a bit broke.

Why would you grind in a series where every game is easy without grinding?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

That was my LP, and he randomly volunteered that he looked at "clop".

That was a fun day.

Those were better days, before FF15...before the Empire...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

brutal self own. is it in the archives already or is the thread still in the active forums?

This was nearly four years ago, so long-archived. If you're really curious, here's where the shitshow started after another wonderfully dumb derail.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the ff12 soundtrack is so loving good

here I thought I'd get tired of rabanastre music and I did for a quick second, then I came back hours later and its good again

objectively the best version of clash on the big bridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4M5ivckBPQ

it's a shame most people probably won't fight gilgamesh but the encounter is so good and he's voiced by john dimaggio and :aaaaa:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Szurumbur posted:

Chapter 13, just met Snow and beat the Boss - I assume it's fairly early in the story, seeing as the chapters are quite short.

I'm actually not sure how far into the game that is but I think it's before the halfway point? The first actual good grinding spot is basically the last dungeon though. There's a couple more in the postgame.

Really though the way experience scales you should be able to catch up anyone you want to use quickly enough from your bench.

And if you're having trouble just remember: use your loving items

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I can't wait until I can dual class so I can start slinging Black Magic and stuff around

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Man I can't wait until I can dual class so I can start slinging Black Magic and stuff around

Black magic is so drat good in the Zodiac version. Black Mage's element-boosting staves just break the middle of the game in half. You'll be wiping whole groups of enemies in one cast of Thundara with the Storm Staff, for example.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is there any equivalent to "gently caress" in Japanese. I've heard "kuso" ranges from "drat" to "poo poo" in terms of severity based on context.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mega64 posted:

This was nearly four years ago, so long-archived. If you're really curious, here's where the shitshow started after another wonderfully dumb derail.

speaking of dumb derails holy poo poo I didn't know that guy in question was BTB

BTB is a reasonably prolific morrowind modder who made a bunch of semi-popular "balance" mods that make all good items worth nothing, all spells do less damage, removes the ability to make "constant effect" enchanted items, and removes/moves a lot of easy to get good items

you know, the whole fun in playing morrowind

all I had to read was "BTB made brave new world" and I knew exactly what it would be lmao

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The weird thing is I think people say it's one of the better FFVI mods so idk why everyone is so bad at romhacks

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

it's a shame most people probably won't fight gilgamesh but the encounter is so good and he's voiced by john dimaggio and :aaaaa:

for some reason, i found the gilgamesh encounter to be... tedious. it was a battle of attrition of cycling out my main party as they died and reviving them with my b-team, but he died, and it was thoroughly uninteresting. he had about twice as many hp as he needed to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

The weird thing is I think people say it's one of the better FFVI mods so idk why everyone is so bad at romhacks

its because ff6 doesnt need a HARD BALANCE HACK so only idiots make them

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

for some reason, i found the gilgamesh encounter to be... tedious. it was a battle of attrition of cycling out my main party as they died and reviving them with my b-team, but he died, and it was thoroughly uninteresting. he had about twice as many hp as he needed to.

First encounter or second? Were you using dispel?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meridian posted:

First encounter or second? Were you using dispel?

whichever one gets you the, what was it, ultimate 2h sword? tournesol or something? also i strongly doubt i was using dispel because i just killed everything with brave/haste/berserk

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is there a good Quickening guide? I'd like to know which piece of each board is the best to ignore/cut off? Is it dependent on the character/job combo or what?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

its because ff6 doesnt need a HARD BALANCE HACK so only idiots make them

Quick how can I turn this game that I could beat even when I was a stupid 10-year old and loved into a pointless grindfest with Big Adult swear words.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there a good Quickening guide? I'd like to know which piece of each board is the best to ignore/cut off? Is it dependent on the character/job combo or what?

just pick the ones that dont cut anything off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

just pick the ones that dont cut anything off

Unless you're doing Shikari, then just let Ninja Swords 1 be cut off, I think