Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Eela6 posted:

What are you looking for? What have you already seen? Off those vague mentions, you might like My Hero Academia, but if you give more detail I might be able to point you in a better direction.

Off the top of my head, I've seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Madoka Magica, FMA:Brotherhood, Fate/Zero, UBW, Death Note way back when.As for what exactly I'm looking for, I'm not certain myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Aumanor posted:

Off the top of my head, I've seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Madoka Magica, FMA:Brotherhood, Fate/Zero, UBW, Death Note way back when.As for what exactly I'm looking for, I'm not certain myself.

Neon Genesis Evangeline, Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, and Kaiji all seem like they'd fit in with that list.

Also, it's a bit of a long shot, but you could also try Mawaru Penguindrum. It has some of the same things in common with those, mainly being hosed up and also really intense.

E:

Paracelsus posted:

If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, that should be at the top of the list.

This too.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 17, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

evangeline...

you've done a lot of the big name shows. so you might as well add haruhi (broadcast order) to them. ghost in the shell also has 2 movies and a sequel series (2nd gig) you might not have seen yet. something else that is rather thoughtful in its approach with technology worth watching is lain and if you want some more dumb action try hellsing ultimate

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

evangeline...

you've done a lot of the big name shows. so you might as well add haruhi (broadcast order) to them. ghost in the shell also has 2 movies and a sequel series (2nd gig) you might not have seen yet. something else that is rather thoughtful in its approach with technology worth watching is lain and if you want some more dumb action try hellsing ultimate

Watched 2nd Gig, can't find a good quality stream of Solid State Society to save my life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aumanor posted:

Watched 2nd Gig, can't find a good quality stream of Solid State Society to save my life.

You're really not missing out on anything.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Aumanor posted:

It sounds like you like 'smart' action shows with a darker edge to them. (That is, 'smart' as opposed to gloriously dumb, like Symphogear or Gurren Lagann)

As far as action goes, here's some stuff that I've liked and sees to line up well.
🤔 / Pessimistic: Neon Genesis Evangelion
🤔 / Medium: Cowboy Bebop.
🤔 / Optimistic: My Hero Academia (Still airing) - This takes what could be a by-the-numbers shonen and brings real heart to it. I have cried watching this show. That doesn't happen too often.

I'm also going to recommend Gurren Lagann because everyone should watch Gurren Lagann. It's dumb over-the-top action at it's finest. The characterization is surprisingly good, too - it sneaks up on you! Kamina is a real cool guy. :kamina:

Paracelsus posted:

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 17, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I really don't like dividing things up that way. Gurren Lagann isn't actually any dumber than Evangelion -- it's wronger, but that's an ideological question, not a question of how much it has to say or how articulately it makes its point. :v:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really don't like dividing things up that way. Gurren Lagann isn't actually any dumber than Evangelion -- it's wronger, but that's an ideological question, not a question of how much it has to say or how articulately it makes its point. :v:

I prefer the dumb ones, though. It's useful to me. 'Dumb' may not be the right term, but it signifies something to me: there's a divide between action shows that try and have some kind of consistency in the action and then there's just fun stuff for the sake of fun stuff.

It's a spectrum with Cowboy Bebop on one end and on the other.

If someone says "oh this show is amazingly stupid" that's a selling point for me, personally.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 17, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's annoying to toss aside what a show is attempting to communicate as just "this show is insanely stupid ahahaha" if a show has something to say while also being goofy and over-the-top

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

i think it's annoying to toss aside what a show is attempting to communicate as just "this show is insanely stupid ahahaha" if a show has something to say while also being goofy and over-the-top

Did I really come across that way? I mean, I used 🤔 and scare quotes to describe 'smart'.

I'm not sure what term to use. Restrained isn't it. Evangelion and My Hero Academia are anything but restrained; it's not a matter of being over-the-top, it's a matter of like... just doing stuff for the sake of doing fun stuff. Gurren Lagann has a cool message & well-executed plot but it's clearly secondary to putting in every cool dumb thing the writers wanted to. The robots wear sunglasses, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought 0 was pretty meh and pointless tbh.

I thought it was entertaining, but it didn't have the same "hard to put down/stop playing" aspect the first game had. It certainly didn't help that the outcome was basically known from the beginning, which eliminated a big draw of the original game. The twists were also far more predictable than they were in Steins;Gate.

I felt like it did about as well as could be expected given the premise, though. I consider it worth playing if someone enjoyed Steins;Gate, even if it isn't quite as entertaining.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Eela6 posted:

If someone says "oh this show is amazingly stupid" that's a selling point for me, personally.

Witchcraft Works.

Also it's not an unfinished feeling, messy pile of poo poo like KlK.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This might be outside the scope of this thread but why do you think ttgl is wronger than nge?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Droyer posted:

This might be outside the scope of this thread but why do you think ttgl is wronger than nge?
just a guess, but: life is cruel and unfair

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eela6 posted:

just a guess, but: life is cruel and unfair

Life is cruel and unfair, but it's how you deal with that fact that counts. In that respect, NGE is far less pessimistic about human beings than TTGL.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eela6 posted:

Let's put that theory to the test:

Horizon On The Edge Of Nowhere

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Life is cruel and unfair, but it's how you deal with that fact that counts. In that respect, NGE is far less pessimistic about human beings than TTGL.

Please don't derail another thread with this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Please don't derail another thread with this

That's why I only wrote two sentences.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The end of TTGL was dead on and just how it should have ended

Not sure on the ending to NGE, i'm still trying to decipher it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HenryEx posted:

The end of TTGL was dead on and just how it should have ended

Not sure on the ending to NGE, i'm still trying to decipher it

It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure the theme is just outright stated during the instrumentality scene

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

i never want to watch this because i'm 100% certain that nothing could ever be as incredible as the wikipedia plot summary of that makes it sound

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paracelsus posted:

You're supposed to escalate relative to the threat, not just go straight to the nukes :stare:.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're supposed to escalate relative to the threat, not just go straight to the nukes :stare:.

It sounded so stupid I had to check it out and

The character designs are, uh, really bad

They started PE Class by explaining their world to each other "your student president is gone because of this, we're trying to be diplomatic to these countries because of this, and you have to graduate high school at 18 as that's the limit unlike other countries"

and yes, the boobs are frequent and bouncing.

This show is amazingly terrible. :stare:

e: everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in those screenshots above is in highschool and presumably younger than 18 years old.

e2: ANIME HAIR

e3: And it ends with the student council president and the main character showing up to brag to his teacher and classmates that he skipped class to buy an ero doujin game that he will perv out to later, then gropes the teacher's breasts, declares that he's going to ask out a girlfriend tomorrow, and I quit because a terrible show is one thing but it went from terrible to gross terrible and nooooo thank you.

In conclusion thanks for the rec, it was a fantastically terrible way to spend half an hour and I enjoyed it up until that final bit!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 18, 2017

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Well, just watched the 6 episodes of FLCL in one go.

Don't know what took me so long.

Gainax :allears:

I've just watched the 2 episodes of Made in Abyss that are out so far. They haven't actually got to to exploring in the abyss yet, which I assume happens. Going to try and go along for the ride rather than jump into the manga. A

Are there any more complete series to watch? Along the lines of the characters exploring unknown areas/worlds/mysterious holes in the ground.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 18, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

e2: ANIME HAIR

I'm pretty sure that girl is more hair than woman.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

ninjewtsu posted:

i never want to watch this because i'm 100% certain that nothing could ever be as incredible as the wikipedia plot summary of that makes it sound

I just got back from reading that. How does one re-enact the entirety of history? Is this to Civil War reenactments / Renaissance Festivals as tanks are to Girls Und Panzer?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
How do I get into Mecha stuff?

So far I've only really watched Gurren Lagann & NGE. I've never seen a Gundam. Should I watch a Gundam?

I tend to like upbeat stuff. Big plus if the music is really catchy. Recent shows I've liked include My Hero Academia, Sympghogear, Demi-Chan, Konosuba, & Assasination Classroom. That said, I don't mind serious if it pays off well.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 18, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Eela6 posted:

So far I've only really watched Gurren Lagann & NGE. I've never seen a Gundam. Should I watch a Gundam?

Probably not. Gundam is almost all trash, and even good Gundam isn't usually all that good. Though I guess you could try Turn-A if you're going to watch a Gundam since that's "the good one"

E: Code Geass sounds like something you'd like.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eela6 posted:

I tend to like upbeat stuff. Big plus if the music is really catchy. Recent shows I've liked include My Hero Academia, Sympghogear, Demi-Chan, Konosuba, & Assasination Classroom. That said, I don't mind serious if it pays off well.

Watch Majestic Prince.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eela6 posted:

Patlabor might be a good choice. The focus is on the people rather than the robots most of the time, but it's generally a fun, happy show with occasional cool police stuff and mecha fights. The general recommended viewing order is the Early Days OVAs, then the first two movies, then, if you still want more, reset the timeline and watch Patlabor TV.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Some Gundam is really good, some Gundam is really bad, most of it falls somewhere in between. If you wanna give Gundam a try I'd recommend Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. It is the rare Gundam trifecta of good, short, self-contained.

edit: also Patlabor is my favorite show so I second the recommendation above.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 18, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Gunbuster/Diebuster come to mind, they're awesome and also relatively short.

If you want music with your mecha, Macross is the obvious pick (although the older series tend to overplay their songs a lot). Macross Plus is a standalone OVA that doesn't require much knowledge about the setting, and Macross: Do you remember love is a movie retelling of the original TV series - both of them are a good start into the franchise.

And for something more recent, Kuromukuro strikes a really good balance between fun, action and drama.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnoHito posted:

Probably not. Gundam is almost all trash, and even good Gundam isn't usually all that good. Though I guess you could try Turn-A if you're going to watch a Gundam since that's "the good one"

E: Code Geass sounds like something you'd like.

Turn a gundam is far, far better than just "good".

For gundam series for a newbie, there's 8th ms team, I hear the original gundam movies are good (or was it the Zeta movies), gundam zeta, Char's Counterattack, G gundam, and I hear iron blooded orphans is good.

Comedy option, gundam wing cartoon network dub

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

fezball posted:

Gunbuster/Diebuster come to mind, they're awesome and also relatively short.

If you want music with your mecha, Macross is the obvious pick (although the older series tend to overplay their songs a lot). Macross Plus is a standalone OVA that doesn't require much knowledge about the setting, and Macross: Do you remember love is a movie retelling of the original TV series - both of them are a good start into the franchise.

And for something more recent, Kuromukuro strikes a really good balance between fun, action and drama.

the 'Busters are a great rec, and imo definitely the best next step

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Kuromukuro on Netflix is fantastic.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Eela6 posted:

GorfZaplen posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still
This, absolutely. The music in Giant Robo is fantastic (alongside pretty much every other aspect; Giant Robo is so good).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Giant Robo is good, but it's only kind of mecha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Turn a gundam is far, far better than just "good".

For gundam series for a newbie, there's 8th ms team, I hear the original gundam movies are good (or was it the Zeta movies), gundam zeta, Char's Counterattack, G gundam, and I hear iron blooded orphans is good.

Comedy option, gundam wing cartoon network dub

Iron Blooded Orphans is good but it does have a bittersweet ending.