Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was publicly shamed as a bigot once before for turning down a dude's advances. That's why I've been eggshelling here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

IT'S BECAUSE I'M HANDSOME

Maybe you shouldn't have lost all that weight. eh?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was publicly shamed as a bigot once before for turning down a dude's advances. That's why I've been eggshelling here.

Lol who cares. Publicly shamed? like how, with a megaphone? I don't get how that could even happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol who cares. Publicly shamed? like how, with a megaphone? I don't get how that could even happen.

I'm not famous or anything but I'm well known in town. It doesn't take much to smear someone's repuatation here and I spent months doing damage control over that. And it hurts the store because they're seen as employing a gay-hating bigot.

Edit: I called a cop friend, he said unless the dude is barred from the property they can't do anything. So it's on mall security to do that and that won't be easy to get them to do anything.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Start recording your shop counter or whatever with audio.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Just a point, if they are transitioning than it'd be really good if you could not call them a dude. It wouldn't be anti-gay either, because that would be heterosexual.

It's okay to not be interested in them, but it is genuinely problematic to frame the issue in those terms.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

redgubbinz posted:

Speaking of cats, some low-energy troll is trying to get PI rattled up with a thread about keeping cats off his "expensive car." I've already engaged, maybe we could get some sort of game going in there. A game involving cats on cars, perhaps sharing one or two attributes with the previously posted image, if you see my meaning.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827132

FYI this is really great :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinestro posted:

Just a point, if they are transitioning than it'd be really good if you could not call them a dude. It wouldn't be anti-gay either, because that would be heterosexual.

It's okay to not be interested in them, but it is genuinely problematic to frame the issue in those terms.

See I don't know if he is trans or not. I can't parse them as a woman because of the amount of stubble on their face. See why I'm on eggshells here? I have how to even talk about this!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

See I don't know if he is trans or not. I can't parse them as a woman because of the amount of stubble on their face. See why I'm on eggshells here? I have how to even talk about this!

So then default to "they"

"I'm not interested in them"
"They make me uncomfortable"

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
You could use gender neutral terms if you're not sure.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, it's best to be as generic as possible with that stuff. I'm a girl but at the same time I've been unable to shave for a couple days, since I've been too broke to get new razor blades, so it's best to not make assumptions. I can say from experience how much it can gently caress with someone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

So then default to "they"

"I'm not interested in them"
"They make me uncomfortable"

When I first encountered and had an issue with this person they were very clearly a man. Now they have bright blue hair, pigtails, and wears skirts but has nothing female about them. I know, I work in a comic shop, weird should be common. But few of my customers say poo poo like "You could love me if you just gave me a chance."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Then still say them. It's not up to you.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

When I first encountered and had an issue with this person they were very clearly a man. Now they have bright blue hair, pigtails, and wears skirts but has nothing female about them.

:siren:

That's not a judgement for you to make. It's pretty drat clear that they are trans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Then still say them. It's not up to you.

I don't even know if they're trans as I said. I just sort of assumed because of their appearance but his chest could just have easily been fat as this person is kind of fat.

Sinestro posted:

:siren:

That's not a judgement for you to make. It's pretty drat clear that they are trans.

I know several guys who perform in drag shows and they dress like this person and they are not trans. I'm just saying, I am flipped out because I don't know how to process this because the last time a dude asked for my number I declined and he was like "cool."

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 19, 2017

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

You do realize that it can take a long time to get any real amount of breast growth, right? Six months, at least, for it to be noticeable. Plus, depending on the width of her shoulders, some pretty unfortunate things can happen in terms of the shape.

If you have any possible doubt in your mind (and ideally in any circumstances), do not gender people.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:cripes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don't shame me! I'm the one being stalked!

And also it dawns on me that since this person is loving stalking me, their gender identity is kind of unimportant.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

When I first encountered and had an issue with this person they were very clearly a man. Now they have bright blue hair, pigtails, and wears skirts but has nothing female about them. I know, I work in a comic shop, weird should be common. But few of my customers say poo poo like "You could love me if you just gave me a chance."

You can still say 'them' even if they are clearly a man or clearly a woman. The issue though is that they might not consider themselves one or the other, or maybe neither of them. Everyone likes to mock the xi/xer/whatever the gently caress other identifiers people come up with but yeah like, it isn't for you to make that call so just be neutral about it. They probably will still get upset if they are mad at you but that's not what you want to avoid, you want to avoid becoming the bigot they are claiming you are, 'they' is for other people, not the person you'd like to avoid.
I had a clingly girl in highschool once and that's as far as my 'stalker' experience goes, so I truly don't have an idea what something like this would be to deal with. However if they are doing the things you say they are but you don't want to be a bigot then I don't know what to tell you. Move? Get a different job? The end of this line is one of those things unless you do the police/security route. If you are afraid of them tar and feathering you then they've won and whatever mind games they are trying to play are working. So don't play those games, play it as straight (heh) as possible and by the books. Or you can keep going 'guys this sucks' and we can all go 'yeah'.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Annnnd this is suddenly one of the few times I'm glad I come off as a cold blunt rear end in a top hat on first meetings with strangers.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It was really for the entire conversation.

Rhyno: Call the cops more or something. Harrassment sucks and you should treat this person as a stalker if theyre stalking.

Others: Please remember this is an automotive subforum of a comedy forum.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annnnd this is suddenly one of the few times I'm glad I come off as a cold blunt rear end in a top hat on first meetings with strangers.

He does work at a comic book shop so that sort of exposure jumps up prolly like 200% over the average.

Adiabatic posted:

Others: Please remember this is an automotive subforum of a comedy forum.

But conversations like this really get my motor runnin'

Cars:

This is from the craigslist thread, someone go buy it because I'm on the other side of the country.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

But conversations like this really get my motor runnin'

Head out on the Highway!
Looking for adventure
And whatever comes our way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry dudes, I am just flat out frustrated by this! I've never been stalked and/or followed home from work!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Head out on the Highway!
Looking for adventure
And whatever comes our way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8

This one is a bit more appropriate :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhY9GOhFwN4

(sorry Rhyno)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

(sorry Rhyno)

Rude!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Me 24/7/365

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

(sorry Rhyno)

I would have thought this one was more appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I would have thought this one was more appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dude posts about being loving stalked and you idiots are worried about his harassers loving pronouns?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In order to prevent his defense from being picked apart and labeled discrimination, yes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Dude posts about being loving stalked and you idiots are worried about his harassers loving pronouns?

Let me help you out:

Rhyno posted:

I'm not famous or anything but I'm well known in town. It doesn't take much to smear someone's repuatation here and I spent months doing damage control over that. And it hurts the store because they're seen as employing a gay-hating bigot.

I have a question

What makes a steering wheel do this?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Yes, because educating people like that is how you help people learn and improve? It's not an attack on someone personally or an invalidation of their issues to tell them that they should probably talk about something differently.

KakerMix posted:

I have a question

I can only assume cosmic ray exposure is at fault.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The sun?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

Yes, because educating people like that is how you help people learn and improve? It's not an attack on someone personally or an invalidation of their issues to tell them that they should probably talk about something differently.
This gets a completely unironic :yeah: from me.

KakerMix posted:

Cum, I bet.

In other news, I've become obsessed with MR2 AW11s because I
1.) already attempted to service a VW W8 so how hard could this be, and
2.) I like things that are angled, and
3.) I want my "race car" to not pull any punches and let me know just exactly how good/bad of a driver I am.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I brought it up but I do appreciate you having my back. And all the feedback guys, I do. I will do my best to properly describe them. Hit the owner up on Messenger, he said he'll do whatever it takes to make this stop but he's also doubtful the property owners will care.

So here's why I am stressed. Back in 2001 I worked for Borders. And I had a very pushy dude asking me out constantly until I had enough and told him to back off. He complained to a manager and there was a corporate inquisition into deciding if I was worth keeping on the payroll. I got painted as a gay-hating bigot and though I wasn't fired it destroyed my reputation. I ended up getting fired for unrelated reasons but the spectre of that followed me for quite a while.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

scuz posted:

In other news, I've become obsessed with MR2 AW11s because I
3.) I want my "race car" to not pull any punches and let me know just exactly how good/bad of a driver I am.

We went and looked at this one last week and it's worth maybe 3k with all the interior bits broken and missing, and the rough exterior paint. But it also does truly only have 52k miles on it so. You know what to do.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

scuz posted:

In other news, I've become obsessed with MR2 AW11s because
4.)THEY'RE AWESOME

Oh hey me too. I really wanna go buy this one but it's not a smart decision at the moment.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-MR2-1988/SSE-AD-4860448/?Cr=1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fiance got the local promotion. Position opens in 2-3 weeks. Guess we're staying in Indiana for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
goondolances

• Locked thread