Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sagebrush posted:

If you look around on Google maps, you'll see that most major airports and air force bases have one of those burnt-up planes somewhere on the edge of the field.

The one at Manchester Airport is right across from the main terminal so if there was a training exercise going on you could watch a burning patchwork of a DC-10 and 747 while waiting for boarding. It was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Jesus that's close.

81 feet.

737 vertical stabilizer height: 36-41 feet.

I have recreated the scene at an accurate scale (assuming the altitude is measured from the belly of the plane):

:stare:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Man, even I can't get them that close.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Sagebrush posted:

81 feet.

737 vertical stabilizer height: 36-41 feet.

I have recreated the scene at an accurate scale (assuming the altitude is measured from the belly of the plane):

The planes the Air Canada A320 flew over were in this order: UAL-1 a 787-900, PAL115 an A340-300, UAL863 another 787-900, & UAL1118 in a wee 737-900. So those first three tails he went over were even taller, no?

goddamn this was almost a nasty mess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

The planes the Air Canada A320 flew over were in this order: UAL-1 a 787-900, PAL115 an A340-300, UAL863 another 787-900, & UAL1118 in a wee 737-900. So those first three tails he went over were even taller, no?

Yep, you are correct. A 787 and an A340 have almost the same tail height -- 56 feet above the ground (vs. 36 feet for the shorty 737s I used above).

jesus loving christ

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Duke Chin posted:

On the plus side, there's now five planeloads of people who have a really annoying "we could've lost me this year" story to tell at Thanksgiving (American or Canadian version). Sort of like Seth MacFarlane loves to tell people he should've been on AA11 on 9/11.

(oh god dammit Mark Wahlberg should've been on that flight as well)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 19, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Out of curiosity is that an accurate angle of attack for the lowest altitude?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, you are correct. A 787 and an A340 have almost the same tail height -- 56 feet above the ground (vs. 36 feet for the shorty 737s I used above).

jesus loving christ

The article doesn't say they were directly over a plane while they were at 81ft, stop spreading FUD, they had at least a few more feet of clearance :v:

Is there a pants-pooping smiley?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

xthetenth posted:

I think you'd be about level attitude at that height.

Yeah vvv plus the fact they were going up at that point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xthetenth posted:

No -- the lowest altitude would have been shortly after they pulled up. Takes a second to stop the descent before it begins to climb. When they hit 81 feet they were probably more like 10-15 degrees nose-up, depending on how terrified the pilots were.

It's a reasonable angle for the descent though iirc (I set it to 3 degrees)

However, if I do set it to 10 degrees nose-up, the image becomes even more terrifying, because the static port (from where the altitude is measured, though I dunno if 737s have radar altimeters or whatever) is located just below the cockpit. Putting that at 81 feet with 10 degree alpha...

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 19, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

jesus loving christ

Now superimpose the glide slope.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Now superimpose the glide slope.

Given their lateral displacement I think it's included :riker:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

No -- the lowest altitude would have been shortly after they pulled up. Takes a second to stop the descent before it begins to climb. When they hit 81 feet they were probably more like 10-15 degrees nose-up, depending on how terrified the pilots were.

However, if I do set it to 10 degrees nose-up, the image becomes even more terrifying, because the static port (from where the altitude is measured, though I dunno if 737s have radar altimeters or whatever) is located just below the cockpit. Putting that at 81 feet with 10 degree alpha...

Pfft. Quit being so dramatic. The radar altimeter is just next to the HF antenna in the fin under business class, so they had at least an extra 4 feet of clearance!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Let's face it: lining up for a taxiway or even landing on it is something that's happened before and will probably happen again, even if it shouldn't. But to both do that, and then not notice there are several planes on your "runway" until you're 81' AGL, is really hosed up. If you're that close, and you even think you see something on the runway, it's missed approach time!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Let's face it: lining up for a taxiway or even landing on it is something that's happened before and will probably happen again, even if it shouldn't. But to both do that, and then not notice there are several planes on your "runway" until you're 81' AGL, is really hosed up. If you're that close, and you even think you see something on the runway, it's missed approach time!

Like the Delta flight was much more understandable because they lined up on the brighter lights that had the PAPI on the left.

This though... yes it was night but how do you not see all those aircraft's strobes?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Are the FAA legally allowed to pull CVRs for an incident like this? I'm guessing something was going on, because it's a pretty massive fuckup.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Everyone that even looked sideways at that plane in the last 6 months is buying clean urine from their sister-in-law just in case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Like the Delta flight was much more understandable because they lined up on the brighter lights that had the PAPI on the left.

This though... yes it was night but how do you not see all those aircraft's strobes?

If the FAA can use commercial flight simulators to reenact accidents, so can I! I made the same approach in X-Plane, which is known to have accurate and high-quality night lighting. I also photoshopped out 28L to simulate the appearance of the airport that night, more or less -- the runway was under construction, so its lights were off. There was apparently also a large illuminated X on the runway but I don't know what that looked like so I ignored it.

Anyway, yes the taxiway is parallel and everything, but it's still pretty unfathomable that they confused it with 28R:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Adding "not the taxi way" to my mantra of "not the seawall" when landing at SFO

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Captain Postal posted:

Pfft. Quit being so dramatic. The radar altimeter is just next to the HF antenna in the fin under business class, so they had at least an extra 4 feet of clearance!

:wtf:
:spergin::spergin::spergin:
It was an A320, of course it has rad alts, the antennas are located near the tail, that is a VHF antenna on the 737!!!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
You all listened to the recordings of this by now, right? The Air Canada pilot TOTALLY sounded like the Smooth Talker from one of the Living The Dream videos.

At least until he woke the gently caress up got the GO AROUND call from the tower :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

If the FAA can use commercial flight simulators to reenact accidents, so can I! I made the same approach in X-Plane, which is known to have accurate and high-quality night lighting. I also photoshopped out 28L to simulate the appearance of the airport that night, more or less -- the runway was under construction, so its lights were off. There was apparently also a large illuminated X on the runway but I don't know what that looked like so I ignored it.

Anyway, yes the taxiway is parallel and everything, but it's still pretty unfathomable that they confused it with 28R:

Flight sims assume all the lights all the time though?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Are the FAA legally allowed to pull CVRs for an incident like this? I'm guessing something was going on, because it's a pretty massive fuckup.

The FAA can't, but the NTSB sure as hell can, and probably already has.

I guarantee the AirCan crew "forgot" to turn the CVR off after landing, though. (They're on a continuous loop recording, between a half hour and maybe a couple hours on the very newest solid-state models.)

One of my old airline's flight crews had a runway overrun at JFK in 2003. They left the airplane powered up until the emergency crews were done securing the airplane. CVR had dick on it related to the incident.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The existence of events like this prove that it can be difficult to visually determine your alignment with a runway under certain conditions.

The full investigation will probably discover some unique lighting configurations, view angles, ground clutter, atmospheric conditions, and flight crew distractions that all added up to creating this incident. It happens every few million aircraft operations, and it didn't result in a crash this time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

The existence of events like this prove that it can be difficult to visually determine your alignment with a runway under certain conditions.

The full investigation will probably discover some unique lighting configurations, view angles, ground clutter, atmospheric conditions, and flight crew distractions that all added up to creating this incident. It happens every few million aircraft operations, and it didn't result in a crash this time.

Pilot error.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yep. But normally a safety related agency won't just say "pilot error" and leave it at that. They will surely have some notes on contributing factors and suggestions for systemic changes. It's how things get better.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Captain Postal posted:

The radar altimeter works vertically in respect to the fuselage. So if the plane is at a 15 deg angle, then so is the hypotenuse. which makes it 75' real altitude instead of 81.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 19, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nerobro posted:

The radar altimeter works vertically in respect to the fuselage. So if the plane is at a 15 deg angle, then so is the hypotenuse. which makes it 75' real altitude instead of 81.

Also it has computers that do math so you don't have to worry about that.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Look, guys, clearly the solution is replicating the situation to find out for sure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Look, guys, clearly the solution is replicating the situation to find out for sure.

I feel there ought to be pyrotechnics.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mekilljoydammit posted:

Like using a B-52 bomber to investigate structural failures in B-52s :downs:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

At night, strobes are generally left off until taking the runway for departure, so all they would have seen would be beacons and taxi lights.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

At night, strobes are generally left off until taking the runway for departure, so all they would have seen would be beacons and taxi lights.

And nav lights, no?

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

You all listened to the recordings of this by now, right? The Air Canada pilot TOTALLY sounded like the Smooth Talker from one of the Living The Dream videos.

At least until he woke the gently caress up got the GO AROUND call from the tower :v:

we were errr off centre.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

In case you haven't heard or seen the recreation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jTE68jRuU
WHERE IS THIS GUY GOIN' ??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

In case you haven't heard or seen the recreation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jTE68jRuU
WHERE IS THIS GUY GOIN' ??

The positions of the aircraft look completely wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's the worst piece of aviation incident recreation I've seen. It's like a Google Maps "auto generate planes on airports" plugin animated with inspiration from the Team America dangly puppets, programmed with the aviation knowledge of news journalists. I guess NBC made it themselves, wanting some juicy graphics before the competition. The "taxiway" is the actual runway it was supposed to land on.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I like this one because the beginning of it feels like an 80's made for tv movie INSPIRED BY REAL EVENTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sEOwMfF7MA

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

That's the worst piece of aviation incident recreation I've seen. It's like a Google Maps "auto generate planes on airports" plugin animated with inspiration from the Team America dangly puppets, programmed with the aviation knowledge of news journalists. I guess NBC made it themselves, wanting some juicy graphics before the competition. The "taxiway" is the actual runway it was supposed to land on.

Brian Williams’ career at Air Canada lookin’ good.