Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Emron posted:

Can someone explain to me why my black mage isn't doing anything in battle? Her gambits are a series of element: weak then two element: vulnerable, but in battle she just stands there doing nothing.

You have to "know" that the enemy has that weakness, via Libra or other means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

precision posted:

You have to "know" that the enemy has that weakness, via Libra or other means.

That makes sense, but I also had a foe:targeted by party leader gambit earlier and she still just...stood there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
make sure you didnt turn her gambits off :v:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

make sure you didnt turn her gambits off :v:

:negative: I have no idea how that happened, gently caress I feel dumb.

If I choose a quickening license, do I need to worry about locking myself out of any licenses behind the other quickening licenses?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You pick three per character, and you do generally want to get the ones blocking off other licenses. The only job you really need to worry about is Shikari because it has four gated licenses so you need to skip Ninja Swords 1.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Arist posted:

You pick three per character, and you do generally want to get the ones blocking off other licenses. The only job you really need to worry about is Shikari because it has four gated licenses so you need to skip Ninja Swords 1.

So I can only pick quickenings from one of the jobs on a character, right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh hey, for anyone out there with a supreme boner for Gideon Emory, which is I'm assuming all of you, even the 12 haters, he is going to be playing a role in Destiny 2. It is different from his role in Destiny in which he is a dude that sits in a social space and acts as a vendor of sorts, in Destiny 2 he plays a dude that sits in a combat area and acts as a vendor of sorts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Emron posted:

no, jobs share unlocked licenses and that includes the quickenings. the quickening licenses with the same LP cost are linked and will be unlocked together!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

no, jobs share unlocked licenses and that includes the quickenings. the quickening licenses with the same LP cost are linked and will be unlocked together!

Awesome, thank you!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrNutt posted:

Oh hey, for anyone out there with a supreme boner for Gideon Emory, which is I'm assuming all of you

who

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Emron posted:

Each job has four available quickening slots, but like other licenses, they're shared between jobs. What I'm saying is that buying the 50 LP quickening will unlock it on both boards. You can buy them on whichever you want, but they have to be different slots.

e: beaten

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
How does Libra work? I can't select any foe conditions for it. It's basically a "scan for weakness" ability, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elephant Ambush posted:

How does Libra work? I can't select any foe conditions for it. It's basically a "scan for weakness" ability, right?

Yeah. Its one of those things like steal where there's no condition which is kinda annoying. The best thing to do is have your party leader do libra on enemies at 100%, and then above that do attack enemies attacking allies, and then have all allies target leader's target.

That should cause the leader to cast libra and then start attacking after. But it only works for the leader really :( Alternatively just do it all manually.

condition: hasn't been stolen from and condition: unidentified weakness would be very handy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's a buff you cast on yourself, that threw me off at first too.
Also it doesn't seem to work at all on bosses or high level enemies which ruins the target weakness stuff. :/

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 19, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

I think I put about 10 hours into that, and my wife maybe a little more, and it seemed like it was just way too basic to stay very fun, does it get more... complex? Eventually?

Speaking from someone who beat the game, you can make it as complex as you want. One of the things you really want to do is unlock as many boards as possible, and try to stick to a core group of monsters that you can swap between classes, i.e. your black nakk can turn into a grey nakk, keeping the same level and transfers points over too (you want high sync levels). In general, certain dungeons have specific weaknesses, so you can build a team that caters towards that weakness, like a volcano, so bring water types. Or an underwater dungeon, so bring lightning types.

If there's one issue with the game, it's that you don't know the elemental weakness of bosses unless you use a walkthrough.Unlocking all of the monsters requires beating mini games that make all of the FFX celestial mini games seem fun (besides blitzball, because blitzball is cool and good). Even if your team composition is bad, you can still beat the game. I was a big fan of behemoth, mandragora, magitek armor, and shiva.

Overall it's a fun game, there's good cameos and lots of interactions with Final Fantasy characters (Edgar and Vivi becoming friends is cute in its own way, as is Cloud and Celes).

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Oh hey, for anyone out there with a supreme boner for Gideon Emory, which is I'm assuming all of you, even the 12 haters, he is going to be playing a role in Destiny 2. It is different from his role in Destiny in which he is a dude that sits in a social space and acts as a vendor of sorts, in Destiny 2 he plays a dude that sits in a combat area and acts as a vendor of sorts.

So I can hear him all the time instead of never? :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah. Its one of those things like steal where there's no condition which is kinda annoying. The best thing to do is have your party leader do libra on enemies at 100%, and then above that do attack enemies attacking allies, and then have all allies target leader's target.

That should cause the leader to cast libra and then start attacking after. But it only works for the leader really :( Alternatively just do it all manually.

condition: hasn't been stolen from and condition: unidentified weakness would be very handy.

what

no

you just cast it on yourself, just set someone to self > libra

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm actually not sure how far into the game that is but I think it's before the halfway point? The first actual good grinding spot is basically the last dungeon though. There's a couple more in the postgame.

Really though the way experience scales you should be able to catch up anyone you want to use quickly enough from your bench.

And if you're having trouble just remember: use your loving items

Items have been immensely useful in getting a Prism opportunity with my very limited team, and I've used my only Mega-Potion to capture a Phoenix who now sits in a case among all the other unused Mirages.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Libra works different in this one than it usually does. You don't cast Libra on an enemy to see their weaknesses, you just cast it on yourself and until it wears off that character will know weaknesses.

So basically you set Self > Libra on everyone you want to be auto-casting elemental weakness spells. I believe that's how it works anyway, I don't remember if you can just have one person's Libra be "common knowledge" for the rest of the party or not and I'm not far enough in the remake to be setting lots of very specific Gambits like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

I believe that's how it works anyway, I don't remember if you can just have one person's Libra be "common knowledge" for the rest of the party or not and I'm not far enough in the remake to be setting lots of very specific Gambits like that.

Yeah that was gonna be my next question

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I forgot how insanely tedious running to NPC's to begin and end hunts was

and also running to and from the hunts themselves

and like 90% of the rest of the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey at least it lets you have more thank one hint active at a time unlike a certain other game...

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Are quickenings ever acknowledged in the game? I know that at least FF7 and FF9 use their limit break/trance mechanics in narrative ways (not necessarily having them be a thing that the characters recognize and talk about, but they're incorporated into dramatic sequences). As far as I can tell quickenings are like "we needed a super attack mechanic here you go" but they seem pretty detached from everything around them. You pretty much enter an alternate dimension and start throwing fireworks at the enemy without regard for your character's job or backstory or anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno but Quickenings sure feel super unsatisfying to actually do.

Doesn't help that they take like a million years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing I outright kind of hate is that the game, and I feel this is totally intentional, gives you the impression that towns are like fake MMO hubs and everyone you talk to is just gonna be flavor text - except for the like five NPCs in the game who do have sidequests. Decisions like that, and the original way to get the Zodiac Spear, are what really baffled me about this game. It seems to take staple RPG things and make them practically Easter eggs rather than something that most people would find on their own, or would only find if they also talk to every loving mob of 20 customers in every drat shop in the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Uh only LEADING MAN Balthier of course.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah sometimes I'm just running around town and I'll decide to talk to random unnamed NPC 234 and he'll start a quest off and I'll be like wtf how much have I missed because I don't talk to every npc multiple times.

On the other hand it's not like 12 is lacking in baffling decisions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

precision posted:

modern final fantasy ratings:

15 > 13 > 12 > 10 > 9 > 8 > 7

:monocle:

In what sense is a 20 year old game modern?

FF7 is twice as old as FF1 was when FF7 came out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

The only thing I outright kind of hate is that the game, and I feel this is totally intentional, gives you the impression that towns are like fake MMO hubs and everyone you talk to is just gonna be flavor text - except for the like five NPCs in the game who do have sidequests. Decisions like that, and the original way to get the Zodiac Spear, are what really baffled me about this game. It seems to take staple RPG things and make them practically Easter eggs rather than something that most people would find on their own, or would only find if they also talk to every loving mob of 20 customers in every drat shop in the game.

To be fair XII was in the post XI period where MMOs were still figuring poo poo out. Compare WoW then to now and its like, holy poo poo.

Cephas posted:

Are quickenings ever acknowledged in the game? I know that at least FF7 and FF9 use their limit break/trance mechanics in narrative ways (not necessarily having them be a thing that the characters recognize and talk about, but they're incorporated into dramatic sequences). As far as I can tell quickenings are like "we needed a super attack mechanic here you go" but they seem pretty detached from everything around them. You pretty much enter an alternate dimension and start throwing fireworks at the enemy without regard for your character's job or backstory or anything.

If the alternative is having Quistis tell you all about GFs for like 30 minutes at the start of the game, I kinda like having them be unacknowledged :cheeky:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

precision posted:

Moms are tough

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

high notorious mom-ster

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While I'm complaining about this game that I love, even the reworked License Board is pretty drat naff. Only Red Mage really has any meaningful decisions to make about what to unlock and when, most classes are just "take HP and buffs and whatever equipment you're currently carrying". You can buy the License for loving tons of gear before you ever see any of it, so there's no element of meaningful choice "hmmm should I wear better gear or buy more HP" you just do whichever one you currently can.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just shoved the double LP acc on two characters and they'll probably have filled in entirely at least one of their boards before I hit lvl40 (or as much as I can get to at that point).

FF12 is not a well thought out game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i like it when i encounter intangirs but i don't like it when i encounter leafers and dark winds. is there maybe a more reliable place to grind magic exp in the world of balance, without grinding too many levels?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

precision posted:

While I'm complaining about this game that I love, even the reworked License Board is pretty drat naff. Only Red Mage really has any meaningful decisions to make about what to unlock and when, most classes are just "take HP and buffs and whatever equipment you're currently carrying". You can buy the License for loving tons of gear before you ever see any of it, so there's no element of meaningful choice "hmmm should I wear better gear or buy more HP" you just do whichever one you currently can.
Yeah I've been thinking about this and I think the only times you're actually making a choice really, other than sort of with Red Mages, is when you're first picking classes and then later on when you get the secondary jobs. I don't think it's supposed to be like the job system in a game like FFX-2 but instead all the way back to what was in FF1 (The pretty PSP version at least, I'm not familiar with any others).

It's a similar approach there. You pick classes for your four dudes at the very start of the game and then you set off to rescue Princess Sarah. You only acquire the spells and equipment your particular characters can actually use from that point on. Zodiac Age at least allows you that second license board to change things up.

I'm not sure it's a flaw of the game as much as its, I dunno, a flaw of initial expectations I had for what this job system even was trying to be.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 19, 2017

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Where the gently caress am I supposed to find more magicks and technicks, anyway? The stores seldom seem to have new ones in stock.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can find some in chests but thanks to the license board being the way it it is they get gated by where you can get to in the story

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Where the gently caress am I supposed to find more magicks and technicks, anyway? The stores seldom seem to have new ones in stock.

That's another really bad design choice. Decoy for example is only found in the bazaar you can only access if you go meet Montblanc, which I think is completely optional. Maybe you can buy it later but for the first huge chunk of game that's the only place it is.

Most of the Technicks are only for sale much later in the game than you can buy them, or randomly appear in chests (and I think at least Numerology is guaranteed in a chest in a story dungeon)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst thing is that every problem has an easy solution that tons of other games would do, even in 2006. Put an ! over the heads of NPCs with quests! Mark non-respawning chests on the map! Solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And don't put arguably the best spell in the game in a chest in a town you might never notice