Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I liked Dark Souls 1 mostly because it repeatedly made me think, "This is too difficult, there's no way the developer expects new players to be able to beat this, I must have missed a key or magic item or something" and then eventually getting sort of gud.

Notable DS1 moments:
- Trying to cross the bridge and a huge dragon loving kills you with merciless fire breath, drat
- Welcome to Capra Demon
- Unlocking cool shortcuts in 3d that allow travel through a very well planned-out world
- Thinking that the graveyard is the first area of the game that you're expected to go through after Firelink, and getting destroyed by skeletons (but also finding a 2H sword right off the bat)
- Bonewheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Asimov posted:

I liked Dark Souls 1 mostly because it repeatedly made me think, "This is too difficult, there's no way the developer expects new players to be able to beat this, I must have missed a key or magic item or something" and then eventually getting sort of gud.
Yeah, it's like you never feel safe. You're always kinda lost, and insecure. That cemetery in the beginning is the better "gently caress you" I've seen. It makes you sit down, desolated and think "this game doesn't care for me". I'm toast.

Then you man up, kick the poo poo out of those skeletons, and the sense of accomplishment is like cocaine.

KingSlime posted:

this is video game crack to me (not surprisingly I am a big fan of dungeon crawlers where the stakes are high, like Etrian Odyssey)

I love that sense of "am I straying too far from home base??"

It's extremely primal/visceral and great and everyone go away you're ruining the things i like with your different opinions about what the series excels at
Yep, this is what I'm talking about. Etrian Odyssey is great too.

Have you played STALKER with Misery mod, KingSlime? It had a similar impact on me. (later I tried Misery 2 and found it exagerated things, but Misery 1 is near drat perfect)

JBP posted:

E: that long stretch also sounds like the birth of turtle mode souls gaming which is boring as gently caress and has likely ended up costing players their opportunity to yell "test your might!" at the tv while whirling a massive hammer around without a shirt on.
That's the Bloodborne side of the coin, and I friggin love it too. That's why I find the originals (Dark1, BB) the undiluted crack of the series, because of their focus. I think I would love Demons too, if I only had a PS3 to play it. :(

lessavini fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 19, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked Dark Souls 1 better than 2 or 3 from a game world point of view because it's a very centralized adventure. Dark Souls 2 has you globetrotting all over the continent and 3's only slightly better in that way, but 1 takes place in one specific area of the world where a whole lot of stuff has gone wrong. I like that most of the stuff you fight in the early game is just the local fauna standing in your way. Not everything is a super important character with history- the Taurus Demon is just a demon that muscled its way in and nobody else is powerful enough to stop it. The series lost me a bit in 2 when it started introducing tons of faraway places that you hear about but never see, or travel across half the world to get to.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

True, DS2 did have a nice variety of areas and I like it more than most people seem to, but DS1 was self-contained and knew what it was about. It's pretty standard for sequels to want to break the mold so I completely understand and can cut them slack for everything except soul memory.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Yeah, DS1 location is super tight. It gives Lordran a sense of place that's difficult to match. Only Yharnam got close IMO, but as it opens up later it dilutes the feeling. While Lordran makes you feast every inch of it, from up to bottom, inside out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing they are still good at imo is the feeling of "oh poo poo how the hell am I gonna beat this" as the boss rushes right at you. They first got me with the Taurus Demon hopping over the wall and then making a beeline for your sorry rear end, but I felt it again with the Last Giant in 2 and the Nameless King (and his big dragon friend) in this one.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've probably just played it too long or am a weird person because I don't remember ever feeling a sense of dread/fear exploring in ds1

one of the things I like most conceptually about it is that it's willing to get weird with bosses. most of the weird ones don't really work out though. I realized a bit ago that crystal sage is just pinwheel but with more HP and an unstaggerable teleport that automatically goes off after a certain amount of damage so they don't just roll over and die

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the Crystal Sage just rolling over and dying,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvGeOGEwfkQ

guy didn't stand a goddamn chance on my last playthrough. He didn't even make it to phase 2.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

lessavini posted:

Have you played STALKER with Misery mod, KingSlime? It had a similar impact on me. (later I tried Misery 2 and found it exagerated things, but Misery 1 is near drat perfect)

I have not! But this kind of endorsement has definitely got me wanting to check it out!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of the Crystal Sage just rolling over and dying,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvGeOGEwfkQ

guy didn't stand a goddamn chance on my last playthrough. He didn't even make it to phase 2.

He actually has an AI bug where he never enters phase 2 sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
in regards to boss chat, yeah that's also a massive source of addiction for me

Running headfirst into a boss that seems impossible until you put in some loving work and learn

My friend saw my first run through the ruin sentinels, watching how I kept dying over and over again, getting better each time until I smashed their poo poo in (with flasks to spare).

I looked over to my friend, beaming with pride and expecting praise. He very nonchalantly told me that yeah he doesn't like his video games to feel like work. Fair enough I guess.

I personally think it's great as no work = no reward, but it has to be balanced right otherwise it will just be awful and unfun (i also feel like some late game areas in DS3 are Pretty loving UnFun).

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Ruin Sentinels were probably the biggest brick wall in all of Souls, I think. It's crazy how well I memorized that moveset. Capra kind of approaches it but I won't lie, I chickened out and used one of the two exploits available for the fight my first time through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fool_of_sound posted:

He actually has an AI bug where he never enters phase 2 sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it.

The bug is "I killed him before he could do the teleport that brings him to phase 2". You can see him trying to do it just before I land the final hit.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I learned the same thing from the Champion's Wolf I did against Gascoigne, which is that hiding behind things waiting for cheap shots is as tedious and useless as it deserves to be and you need to fight your opponent in the open like a professional. However I did circle the pillars to keep the wolf away while I dealt with the pesky Gravetender.

I rank that fight 2nd out of the series' 3 Big Wolf fights, that's including the wolf from DS2 that is actually a rat. Maybe it's technically more sound than the Sif fight but that one's very beautiful and sad once you realize you're killing a loyal dog.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Also I was all pumped for turboslaying the Pontiff with my beefed up uchigatana and I put on the silver covetous ring for the extra souls, unwittingly making myself just obese enough that I couldn't roll away from his attacks and he killed me immediately.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

snoremac posted:

However I did circle the pillars to keep the wolf away while I dealt with the pesky Gravetender.

Yeah in DS3 some mobs just feel like they're supposed to be impossible to juggle, or the margin of error is stupid small. Whereas in DS2 it was mob management galore

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend some good weapons for a pure pyromancer build? A friend of mine started playing and so I made an alt to do co-op with him while he gets slaughtered.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

dark lothric knight sword, that dlc greatsword, witch locks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

snoremac posted:

Also I was all pumped for turboslaying the Pontiff with my beefed up uchigatana and I put on the silver covetous ring for the extra souls, unwittingly making myself just obese enough that I couldn't roll away from his attacks and he killed me immediately.
tbh I'm strongly of the opinion that both weapons and rings should not have equip weight

but especially rings. nothing more annoying than needing to change around armor after swapping rings to not go over breakpoints

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think it's hilarious that my gigantic beef man puts on his ring of strength and suddenly starts rolling around like a turtle with back problems.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

hey man you try rolling like a dude with <70% equip load constantly

i've tried it, it's not fun

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

fool_of_sound posted:

Soulmass. If he has any out he can't teleport, but he's so fat you can just kinda rotate around him and the far one can't fire.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

What's the reason for Yorshka not letting me join her covenant? She asks why I'm there but my only option is "Do Nothing".

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

snoremac posted:

What's the reason for Yorshka not letting me join her covenant? She asks why I'm there but my only option is "Do Nothing".

You need to have learned a certain emote from Sirris.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

f#a# posted:

hey man you try rolling like a dude with <70% equip load constantly

i've tried it, it's not fun
They never shoulda nerfed the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

snoremac posted:

Go to the bridge near the entrance of Irithyll, Sirris will leave a summon sign. Help her kill some dude, then back at firelink she'll put in a word for you so that you can join Darkmoon.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Tarezax posted:

You need to have learned a certain emote from Sirris.

Sirris has promised to kill me for joining Rosaria's covenant so I can kiss that goodbye.

New question: In the Corvian Settlement there's an item on a large rock in the water area with all the monsters. You obviously have to drop there from the nearby rooftop, but how do you get up there? I've looked all over the place and can't work it out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

It's the crystal soul masses. For whatever reason, he can't disappear while they're still up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1xYYnOk1D4&t=2428s

You can see it in action in this year's sgdq.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's a fairly roundabout route, I think you have to cross over a bridge from the rooftops of the shacks after going up the hill a ways. You'll know you're headed for the right place when you see basically a shack on top of a cliff.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

snoremac posted:

Sirris has promised to kill me for joining Rosaria's covenant so I can kiss that goodbye.

New question: In the Corvian Settlement there's an item on a large rock in the water area with all the monsters. You obviously have to drop there from the nearby rooftop, but how do you get up there? I've looked all over the place and can't work it out.

From Corvian Settlement, hang a left outside the door to the village and you'll need to make a couple (obvious) jumps. Here's a video, spoils the item you get though. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5cDuBFBHg

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

f#a# posted:

From Corvian Settlement, hang a left outside the door to the village and you'll need to make a couple (obvious) jumps. Here's a video, spoils the item you get though. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5cDuBFBHg

Thanks.

Oh Friede is a 3-part fight?! I am demoralized. I got the slab, Ariandel started talking, I thought I'd done it...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

snoremac posted:

Thanks.

Oh Friede is a 3-part fight?! I am demoralized. I got the slab, Ariandel started talking, I thought I'd done it...

My favorite dick move in the whole series. They give you just enough time to celebrate your victory... and then she stands back up.

I've made a fun game out of looking for playthroughs of the DLC so that I can hear the bitter resignation in peoples' voices when they realize it's not over.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjj0DdxsMRI&t=12180s

Including myself! (3:23:00)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 19, 2017

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

And Tyler Too! posted:

Can anyone recommend some good weapons for a pure pyromancer build? A friend of mine started playing and so I made an alt to do co-op with him while he gets slaughtered.
Infuse a handaxe with chaos fire and you're good to go, as it scales from both Int and Fth. It's te unsung hero of weapons, fast, strong, one-hand, great scaling.

Later get Onyx Blade for it's amazing black flame, and Witch's Lock Whip and you're done.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KmU6cWOIqc

This game is real stupid sometimes

edit: For those that can't tell what happened, the boss' arms pushed me back into its head hitbox even though I rolled at the right time to get away from the attack, then it followed up with that charge attack that has no wind up and just killed me instantly. Fond memories of this happening during the Kalameet fight in DS1.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 19, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Boss limbs should not have collision tbh for that reason alone

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kalameet was especially annoying imo because his head doesn't have collision during attacks but the neck does, so you can roll forward through the attack properly and then hit the neck which stops your roll and you take damage :geno:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Are there any good write-ups on DS3's story? I was blown away by how 'The Paleblood Hunt' showed how much depth and subtle storytelling is hiding in plain sight in Bloodborne, so something like that would be great. Or smaller stuff. Just not videos.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

snoremac posted:

Are there any good write-ups on DS3's story? I was blown away by how 'The Paleblood Hunt' showed how much depth and subtle storytelling is hiding in plain sight in Bloodborne, so something like that would be great. Or smaller stuff. Just not videos.

Nothing as elaborate as Paleblood Hunt that I'm aware of. This reddit post collates a lot of useful information about various backstory topics though.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

skasion posted:

Nothing as elaborate as Paleblood Hunt that I'm aware of. This reddit post collates a lot of useful information about various backstory topics though.

Yeah this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

gotta pump END and STR if you wanna roll

Dark Souls is a simulator