Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

glowing-fish posted:

And what about Missy's "are you okay?" several episodes earlier.

Like looking at this season in retrospect, the Doctor had gotten old again...he seems to have been in semi-retirement, guarding the vault, for hundreds of years. Even for a Time Lord, it might have been a long time for him. He was probably getting close to dying of old age even without the Cyberman shock.

He really got shot in Lie of the Land and has been fighting off regeneration ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Forktoss posted:

Funnily enough, a major plotline in the new Twin Peaks plays out very much as a loving tribute to a past character despite being centered around that character's dismembered corpse.

It's true, you got me there. You can really feel him as this benevolent force still influencing the story, and the whole thing makes me smile with fond memories of both the actor and the character. :unsmith:

Maybe that's how Moffat feels when he watches cyberbrig.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RghdjWCFb64

Time Lords don't have vigainas! :mad:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

I will add two 8th Doctor stories that are worthy of your attention too

Minuet In Hell
A terrifying journey into a satanic coven.

Creed of the Kromon.
Very affecting body horror, it will have an definite effect on you.

Definitely some of the best stories that Big Finish have to offer.

Brilliant stories on a parallel with such masterpieces as The Twin Dilemma and Voyage of the Damned.

(Everyone should probably listen to Minuet In Hell once. It's the only way to understand...)

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Man, I thought I made sure my YouTube isn't part of the anti-PC crowd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

toanoradian posted:

Man, I thought I made sure my YouTube isn't part of the anti-PC crowd.

It continues to baffle me that people will proudly declare how much they hate respecting others.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The BBC tweeted earlier that Jodie Whittaker isn't on Twitter. Which is almost certainly for the best.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

:spergin:: "Time Lord not Time Lady!"

I mean, Time Ladies exist in the show. And one of them regenerated into the Great loving Gazoo. A switch of gender isn't going to be that much of a difference comparatively.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I am really curous to see what they do for the companion(s), and whether they go with a Ross/Mark/Don/Arnie/Carl male version of the standard character or something else.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Thomas Sanders should be the companion.

Not the YouTube guy playing a character. The YouTube guy himself.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder what Mad Larry thinks of all this...

https://twitter.com/Lawrence_Miles/status/887038694112329728

Well, he's actually all for a female Doctor! Too bad Russell T Davies Stephen Moffat Chris Chibnall Anyone Except Lawrence Miles will ruin it if they are the showrunner! :v:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Maybe 13 can bring about the Renaissance of Doctor Who Male Companions.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Astroman posted:

Well, he's actually all for a female Doctor! Too bad Russell T Davies Stephen Moffat Chris Chibnall Anyone Except Lawrence Miles will ruin it if they are the showrunner! :v:

Ok, a) she's incarnation number 15, b) isn't Chibnall rumoured to be doing a "writers room" thing where the show runner doesn't really write much of anything himself? Could be great if they get the likes of Gareth Roberts and Jamie Mathieson in there

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know the guy or why he's stupid, but I cynically think he might be right. Unless the season is the best Doctor Who it's ever been, people are gonna look at any failure the season experiences as one that is a direct link (real or imagined) to the casting choice.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 19, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I mean he isn't actually saying anything most people in the thread haven't already said since it was announced that Chibbers would be taking over. It's one of his more reasonable takes, not any of his weird obsessive Moffat/Gaiman vitriol.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

He doesn't say that he should be in charge, and it's not the subtext either (unless you think he considers himself to be multiple future showrunners of varying genders). He's making the not unreasonable point that having either Moffat or the writer of Cyberwoman in charge of the first female Doctor may not turn out well. I disagree with his assertion that a bad series with a female Doctor is Letting The Terrorists Win (or at least think they won), but that's the only really contentious bit of the piece outside his usual curmudgeonly self.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
people can hate voyager and can say it's not because janeway is a woman
chibnall can suck and it will be his fault and not that the doctor is a woman if he makes an episode where the doctor evolves into a salamander

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Plavski posted:

See, I thought this was just awful. It seemed to me that Clara should be in the middle of existential despair at the sight of her Doctor turning into someone else in front of her. And instead of being shocked, she makes some weird repetition joke.

Her reactions in Deep Breath were more believable, what with her being really horribly upset that she'd lost her Doctor. But when he regenerates, she's all sarcastic jokey and it felt really out of place. Coming off the back of everything that had gone before in that episode, it was strange.

Clara knew about regeneration already and had met other versions of the Doctor. So it wouldn't have been a complete shock to her.

Initially she rolls with it as still her Doctor but with a new face, it's only once he turns into a mean old bastard that she realises her Doctor is gone and then truly starts to grieve.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know the guy or why he's stupid, but I cynically think he might be right. Unless the season is the best Doctor Who it's ever been, people are gonna look at any failure the season experiences as one that is a direct link (real or imagined) to the casting choice.

This defeatist attitude means that we never try, though. I've fallen victim to it, too, the whole "It's not time yet, we need to have someone capable of writing women" thing. It's going to be better if Chibnall's theoretical writing room has some women in it (and they're actually given a voice, which is unfortunately uncommon in writing rooms) and if they get some women to direct, but whatever the case, this is a good step.

Helen Raynor's episodes aren't bad because she was the only women writing for the show -they're just bad- and thankfully, people didn't write off Sarah Dollard because of Raynor's work on The Muppet Daleks Do Manhattan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Doctor Who, not Doctor "WOO Girl"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fil5000 posted:

Now bury Time and the Rani where no one will ever find it.

Into the middle of a pile of Ian Levine scripts it goes!

marktheando posted:

It's true, you got me there. You can really feel him as this benevolent force still influencing the story, and the whole thing makes me smile with fond memories of both the actor and the character. :unsmith:

Maybe that's how Moffat feels when he watches cyberbrig.

Just wanna chime in with my love for how Twin Peaks has handled that character. The scene where we (and the characters) learn about how he always knew things would turn out okay was just incredible. :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 19, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Maera Sior asked me to post this:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

This defeatist attitude means that we never try, though.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's lovely and defeatist, but it's fundamentally (if cynically) realistic. Any issue this season has will be amplified by a billion because of its casting choice, and you're going to have people seize on them as proof it was a lovely casting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Into the middle of a pile of Ian Levine scripts it goes!

Just wanna chime in with my love for how Twin Peaks has handled that character. The scene where we (and the characters) learn about how he always knew things would turn out okay was just incredible. :)

Hammond of Texas?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

Hammond of Texas?

That's the one :)

I'm so glad I got caught up on Twin Peaks for the first time just as season 3 started, it's been pretty amazing television :unsmith:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

Maera Sior asked me to post this:

Would pay to see Jane Bond.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DancingShade posted:

Would pay to see Jane Bond.

They should get Helen Mirren circa the early 90s to play her. We just need a time machine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

They should get Helen Mirren circa the early 90s to play her. We just need a time machine.

Did you ever see Red? (not the McCoy audio)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like "Jane Bond" wouldn't be "James Bond" in any event, if that makes sense. She would be a "female version of" James Bond. It is different from the Doctor because the character played by Jodie Whittaker is the same character that has been played by Peter Capaldi and Matt Smith and David Tenannt etc.

They would have to really commit to it and make sure they call the character "James Bond" regardless of who plays them. You know, they couldn't be equivocal about it by calling them "Jane Bond" because I feel like that would diminish what they're trying to do.

Prime Suspect era Helen Mirren would be fun as such a character, though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like "Jane Bond" wouldn't be "James Bond" in any event, if that makes sense. She would be a "female version of" James Bond. It is different from the Doctor because the character played by Jodie Whittaker is the same character that has been played by Peter Capaldi and Matt Smith and David Tenannt etc.

They would have to really commit to it and make sure they call the character "James Bond" regardless of who plays them. You know, they couldn't be equivocal about it by calling them "Jane Bond" because I feel like that would diminish what they're trying to do.

They could also do the subversion and just have a Triple X style ladette criminal type forced into the super spy game on a snowboard and motorbike armed with lots of one liners and some tattoos.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DancingShade posted:

They could also do the subversion and just have a Triple X style ladette criminal type forced into the super spy game on a snowboard and motorbike armed with lots of one liners and some tattoos.

Sure, there's been Nikita (criminal conscripted into super secret spy agency) and there's Atomic Blonde coming out this year, which I think is sort of similar.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Did you ever see Red? (not the McCoy audio)

I did, as I'm a Warren Ellis fanboy. It was pretty good, she was great. The only reason I said Prime Suspect era Mirren instead of current is how much running around and getting repeatedly punched and exploded the Bond role generally involves. I mean Roger Moore was 57/58 for A View To A Kill and he absolutely couldn't handle that side of the role by then. Mirren's about the same age as Timothy Dalton, so her at the same sort of age as Dalton would be perfect.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mean, if Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Bronson and Craig can all be Bond, there's really no reason you couldn't write a female character as Bond. As long as they're a ruthless, self destructive drunk with commitment issues and excellent aim, it's Bond. Honestly, I think Mirren would be a more Bond like Bond than Moore was.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, there's been Nikita (criminal conscripted into super secret spy agency) and there's Atomic Blonde coming out this year, which I think is sort of similar.

Nikita (the French original, not the lovely USA knockoff) was excellent. Haven't heard of Atomic Blonde before but hopefully it's not poo poo.

Oh hey I'm way off topic by now. So how about that TARDIS huh?

Still waiting for Compassion and some Faction Paradox references. (legal issues be damned)

Dead Romance would make such a good serial.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 19, 2017

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I've been off Who for a couple of years now due to Moffat exasperation, but this is enough to get me to give next season a crack.

The weirdest negative reaction I've seen to the casting announcement has been from my father, who complained that there had never been a male companion (and therefore a female Doctor was sexist?). I said that, uh, of course there have been male companions, and then he admitted he was wrong because he "remembered Jamie".

He's seventy and hasn't watched Who since 1969. He genuinely does think the show jumped the shark when it went into colour.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bolingbroke posted:

I've been off Who for a couple of years now due to Moffat exasperation, but this is enough to get me to give next season a crack.

The weirdest negative reaction I've seen to the casting announcement has been from my father, who complained that there had never been a male companion (and therefore a female Doctor was sexist?). I said that, uh, of course there have been male companions, and then he admitted he was wrong because he "remembered Jamie".

He's seventy and hasn't watched Who since 1969. He genuinely does think the show jumped the shark when it went into colour.

Take out the sexism and I like this guy, get him an account

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Fil5000 posted:

I mean, if Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Bronson and Craig can all be Bond, there's really no reason you couldn't write a female character as Bond. As long as they're a ruthless, self destructive drunk with commitment issues and excellent aim, it's Bond. Honestly, I think Mirren would be a more Bond like Bond than Moore was.

Have her effortlessly woo Bond girls as well.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bolingbroke posted:

He genuinely does think the show jumped the shark when it went into colour.

The switch to colour did coincide with the show completely eschewing its original format for a few years so if you were going to say it jumped the shark at any point that's probably a fair one.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So after a few days not giving it any thought, I must admit my initial scepticism has reduced to the usual "I wonder if this new doctor will be as good as the one before" that I have had every single regeneration.

I also didn't look at any nude pics because that is just shameful "journalism" that shouldn't be supported with clicks.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
"There has never been a male companion." Show literally started with three companions including a male one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

"There has never been a male companion." Show literally started with three companions including a male one.

He remembered, and most of them have been women. Even counting people like Adam there's only like a dozen.

Meanwhile, on the Doctor Who Companion Wiki Page, the Brigadier entries are a mess:

2nd Doctor:

His first story is listed as The Five Doctors, the last The Planet of Spiders

3rd Doctor:

Spearhead from Space, then The Five Doctors

Other doctors: not listed. There's an NB on the Five Doctors that says that he appears later in The Five Doctors.

Sort it aaaaaaaat

• Locked thread