Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BobbyK posted:

How much do you have to hate yourself to follow the group meta and play a no DPS class in Diablo 3?

Zmonk is quite fun? I'm not sure if it's still the same nowadays, but when I did it you were basically the one who set the pace, vacuuming shitloads of mobs together and keeping the group alive. Then again I like playing support roles, so :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

mewse posted:

Rhykker has posted his build rankings for the upcoming season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13e1nZomeL4

Thanks for this. Been trying to decide what to do for season.

Kyrosiris posted:

Zmonk is quite fun? I'm not sure if it's still the same nowadays, but when I did it you were basically the one who set the pace, vacuuming shitloads of mobs together and keeping the group alive. Then again I like playing support roles, so :shrug:.

Up until last season when they introduced armory, having to play zdps was a pain in the rear end if you didnt have a normal group.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
how the gently caress do you get the cube i keep hearing about? zoltan fuckass told me how to get it, and I'm at some rear end in a top hat's body on a throne in a snowy fortress, but there's no cube

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

veedubfreak posted:

Up until last season when they introduced armory, having to play zdps was a pain in the rear end if you didnt have a normal group.

I only played my monk for zdps, so it didn't bug me overmuch? I can see why it'd be annoying if your main character was also a monk though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

how the gently caress do you get the cube i keep hearing about? zoltan fuckass told me how to get it, and I'm at some rear end in a top hat's body on a throne in a snowy fortress, but there's no cube

It's in ruins of sescheron but the 2nd area (elder something?) and it's in a little alcove behind a ruined wall, not the throne room.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mewse posted:

It's in ruins of sescheron but the 2nd area (elder something?) and it's in a little alcove behind a ruined wall, not the throne room.

Yeah, I found it. I'm a little annoyed I have to do more grinding, but hey if I can break the game wide open, who am I to complain?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

Yeah, I found it. I'm a little annoyed I have to do more grinding, but hey if I can break the game wide open, who am I to complain?

I wouldn't go hog-wild with it if you plan to play the new Season. Your unlocks don't carry over from non-Seasonal to Seasonal.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kingturnip posted:

I wouldn't go hog-wild with it if you plan to play the new Season. Your unlocks don't carry over from non-Seasonal to Seasonal.

what the hell is any of that

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
For non meta group play, just with friends and maybe some of you non-try hards would you go WD (helltooth-garg/firebat) or lightning wizard?

And yeah, no need to poo poo on Guilty, he's right. If you're a try-hard you'll only do groups, I hear it can be fun in itself to just push it like that, obviously not a thing for everyone.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tahirovic posted:

For non meta group play, just with friends and maybe some of you non-try hards would you go WD (helltooth-garg/firebat) or lightning wizard?

And yeah, no need to poo poo on Guilty, he's right. If you're a try-hard you'll only do groups, I hear it can be fun in itself to just push it like that, obviously not a thing for everyone.

Honestly they're both fine. Do you want to be a big blue bad rear end or have a bunch of pets and turn in to a chicken?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's zdps, DH and group meta?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

veedubfreak posted:

Honestly they're both fine. Do you want to be a big blue bad rear end or have a bunch of pets and turn in to a chicken?

I'm more partial to the necro that barrages enemies with their own bones and also my bones while gaining enough life on hit/regen to just tank the self harm.

not sure if that's possible but I'm liking that as my mash button more than the explosion one now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Furism posted:

What's zdps, DH and group meta?

Zero DPS - in 4p GR pushing, barbs scout/pull the mobs and monks heal/cc with ZDPS specs

DH - demon hunter

Group meta - the metagame of choosing which specs to put in a 4 player party to optimize the group for GR pushing

GR - greater rift

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

I think I hit 900+ in the first couple of weeks :( Being unemployed leaves lots of free time.

That is how I got Para 700 something my first season, then quit playing after finishing the final tier of objectives.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

mewse posted:

Zero DPS - in 4p GR pushing, barbs scout/pull the mobs and monks heal/cc with ZDPS specs

DH - demon hunter

Group meta - the metagame of choosing which specs to put in a 4 player party to optimize the group for GR pushing

GR - greater rift

Thanks!

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Hobold posted:

That is how I got Para 700 something my first season, then quit playing after finishing the final tier of objectives.

Oh look you really are one of those people who quit the game after playing it for a little while, and then drop into the thread to poo poo all over it.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Guilty posted:

Oh look you really are one of those people who quit the game after playing it for a little while, and then drop into the thread to poo poo all over it.

Hah, no. I still play most every season, I just don't poo poo all over my free time and grind leaderboards. Do as much of the season as I want, and find better things to do.

I don't post about how 4man groups are the best thing since sliced bread every few pages.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
4 man groups are fun, but stop acting like anyone who isn't doing it isn't really playing D3. Also most people don't have 3 friends who all play the game the same amount and want to do that together.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These days I mostly prefer to run in smaller groups because I loathe even the concept of group comp in 4-man GRs. I don't play Diablo to do support or zdps, I play to do mdps (much dps).

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I'd play this game more during seasons if set dungeons didn't exist. Never been able to bring myself to do those after the first time.

I might actually give it a shot this season, with the new changes. gently caress set dungeons.

E; Why the gently caress do I always end up bitching about those. :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The only requirement to complete most of the season journeys has been "finish one set dungeon" and every class has at least one piss easy set. It's an incredibly minor part of the season.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
You underestimate how horrible I am at them, even the soo called piss easy sets. Only reason I ever finished the one I did, was having a friend on a different area of the map murdering things while I completed the objective.

They may be a minor part of the season, but they call grind your progress to a halt all too easily.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Hobold posted:

You underestimate how horrible I am at them, even the soo called piss easy sets. Only reason I ever finished the one I did, was having a friend on a different area of the map murdering things while I completed the objective.

They may be a minor part of the season, but they call grind your progress to a halt all too easily.

Just team up with someone of the same class and knock out your set dungeons together. One does the objectives and the other helps clear, and then reverse. Easy set dungeons, one-shot, and you get to go back in and murder those bastards again for making you suffer in the first place! The new changes make it much more tolerable though; you have more time and everything is always on the map.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Please, friends, let us not argue about whether playing with 1,2,3 or 4 is the right way and just enjoy the fact that there is a wonderful game that we can enjoy. I think we can come together in regards to that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There are multiple levels that you can play this game at, each with an unique approach/playstyle and pros/cons. None of them are better or worse than the others, but if you want to experience certain parts of the game you will basically need to play certain ways, especially in the time span of a single season.

Just have fun with whatever you want to do and know that there are other ways to enjoy the game if you get bored with what you are doing.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

George posted:

4 man groups are fun, but stop acting like anyone who isn't doing it isn't really playing D3. Also most people don't have 3 friends who all play the game the same amount and want to do that together.

I'm not arguing about anything. I've always said play the game however you like. I also enjoy throwing on garbage builds and blasting through t1. It's fun

All I'm explaining, and for some reason people don't like this, is how to get more ancient and primal items, how to get higher legendary gem levels, how to get more paragon in less time.

Everyone who plays solo thinks this game is some kind of huge time sink that requires 8 hours a day to get powerful at, and I'm saying that's simply not true. If you want to do better in this game and have a job and a family and a social life, you either have to play solo for five years or you could just group up for a month.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unhallowed Essence build for Demon Hunter is my favorite build in the game. It's by no means the best at all, like not even close, but it's a lot of fun to play in my opinion. I can grind Greater Rift 70 reasonably quickly which is good enough for me and i'm paragon 1120 in off season so far.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

These days I mostly prefer to run in smaller groups because I loathe even the concept of group comp in 4-man GRs. I don't play Diablo to do support or zdps, I play to do mdps (much dps).

I play 4 mans to also play mdps (much dps). Curse you blizzard for making WD lovely without a bunch of DR buffs.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I play so I can find some obscure sliver of ability to differentiate myself from others and look down on them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Necro will be the ideal KS class for Season 11 because all killfeed credit will go to them if an elite dies under Frailty.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there any way to improve set items, short of farming for better rolls or using the enchantress? Are there ancient or primal or whatever-it's-called set items?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any way to improve set items, short of farming for better rolls or using the enchantress? Are there ancient or primal or whatever-it's-called set items?

Set items are still Legendary. They're just part of a set. They can be ancient (10% chance) or primal (gently caress you% chance) just the same as nonset legendaries!

And yeah the only ways to get Better Items is to pick up new ones, or reforge existing ones (a thing at Kanai Cube)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can use the cube with Reforge Legendary: Law of Kulle to have a chance of converting set pieces and legendaries into ancients. Set Items Conversion: Skill of Nilfur Converts set items from one slot to another and the result is never an ancient.

Dunno if LoK can roll as primal.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Verizian posted:

Dunno if LoK can roll as primal.

It can.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Set items are still Legendary. They're just part of a set. They can be ancient (10% chance) or primal (gently caress you% chance) just the same as nonset legendaries!

And yeah the only ways to get Better Items is to pick up new ones, or reforge existing ones (a thing at Kanai Cube)

This is honestly my least favorite thing about Diablo 3. Diablo 2 had variable ranges for uniques and set items but the difference between high and low rolls was miniscule outside of a few outliers like Mara's Kaleidoscope. Rerolling an item you already have to get a slightly better version isn't nearly as exciting as your BIS dropping and boom, you're done, on to the next slot / making a new character with a different class or build.

I don't even really advocate changing this, mind you. I'm just really looking forward to Diablo 2 HD.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So I was going to do a Crusader for the season, since my Monk already runs a pet build (Inna's) and necromancer looked like a less impressive pet class, but the corpse lance build has me very intrigued. What is the likelihood of them nerfing it mid season?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

deathbagel posted:

What is the likelihood of them nerfing it mid season?

Not likely since they don't generally do balance changes in the middle of a season, unless it's a game-breaking bug. The build will probably go as-is until S12 PTR or beyond, depending what they decide needs some tweaking at that time based on S11 results.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

DrSeRRoD posted:

Not likely since they don't generally do balance changes in the middle of a season, unless it's a game-breaking bug. The build will probably go as-is until S12 PTR or beyond, depending what they decide needs some tweaking at that time based on S11 results.

Sweet, I guess that's what I'll plan on rolling tomorrow then. Shooting bad guys with corpses sounds like a lot of fun.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

what the hell is any of that

Seasons are basically the old ladder-resets. Every Season, you get to start fresh with levelling your character with nothing in your Stash, no crafting materials, money, gems, cubed effects or Blacksmith recipes.
Every season, your first character to achieve a certain set of milestones in the game (Season Journey) will receive a full Set of equipment, which is a way of boosting you to the meat of the game - the relentless grind for minor upgrades.

And then, as it began, so it ends. Any Seasonal characters get punted back to non-Seasonal and any gear in your Seasonal tab gets mailed to your non-Seasonal account to be scrapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

spit on my clit posted:

Good, good. Speaking of Crusader, I'm almost 70 and I want to know: Do weapons get better than the Mortal Drama? +3 Wrath regen per second and doubled Bombardment meteors is pretty loving boss, especially paired with the skill that reduces the bombardment cooldown by 35%

Late here but run swiftmount and cube mortal drama, I have a pretty deec LoN bomb build that just shreds if I pay attention to my convention of elements rotations. If you stick your CDR right around 64.5% it will perfectly sync.

You can also get a belt that calls in another bombardment every 6-8 seconds, and it inherits your bomb skill choices. I basically perma horse from elite to elite, dropping huge bombs for insta kills. It makes bounties and neph rifts cake, and it could push beyond 80grift if I wanted to augment poo poo.

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 19, 2017