Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Gonna shill a bit but the pack with The Climb, Raw Data, I Expect You To Die, and the game lounge thing is a very good starting point for $70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I know Echo Arena is great, but does anyone know any real buzz about Lone Echo?
From the trailer, it looks almost exactly like the starting cinematic in Farpoint (PSVR) where you're on a space station when an anomaly starts causing havoc, except that's the entire game?

BTW, Henry is such a great short film. It's like suuuuuuper polished and really makes you feel for that little hedgehog.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

Cojawfee mentioned it, but this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully is a helpful tool with a lot of debug and other options, one of which is a one click way to add a steamVR shortcut to home. Its handy because I don't even have to fiddle around with starting steam or doing anything on my desktop, i just throw on the headset, and click on the steam link if I want to play something from within steamVR. You can do it manually like in the link you found, but considering all the other functionality of the tray tool that i've used, and how easy it makes it to add, I'd just do that.

It also has options to stop the oculus services whenever closing out of the trey tool so it doesn't auto start, you just have to launch the trey tool and it starts it all up when you want to do VR.
Has anyone managed to get the voice activated SteamVR launcher working? It's meant to be a feature of the tray tool but it never worked for me. In the documentation it sounds like you don't even have to do the Home app-swap thing or anything, you can just enable the Tray Tool voice commands and say 'launch Steam'..

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Everyone new to the Rift, get the Budget Cuts demo. It's still one of the best VR experiences.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Amazon claims my Rift will arrive in the next couple days. What sorts of games/demonstrations should I get to help introduce me to T1 VR? Free experiences would be nicest, but things worth cash I don't mind.

Tilt Brush, Sound boxing. Both are on steam if you don't like it then refund them. I personally find Sound Boxing WAY better than Audio Shield, but Audio Shield was first on the Vive so it has a much bigger audience/recognition.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AndrewP posted:

Everyone new to the Rift, get the Budget Cuts demo. It's still one of the best VR experiences.
Definitely.

Also something I didn't notice before for some reason, but even though the summer sale is done, theres some package deals available on the oculus store. The names make no sense for them... but the "action pack" one is only $50 and includes superhot, wilson's heart (...action?), and fantastic contraption (uh.. ok). Considering superhot is $25, fantastic contraption is $30, and wilson's heart is itself $40, its not bad at all.

EDIT:

Stick100 posted:

Tilt Brush, Sound boxing. Both are on steam if you don't like it then refund them. I personally find Sound Boxing WAY better than Audio Shield, but Audio Shield was first on the Vive so it has a much bigger audience/recognition.

I hear nothing but good stuff about sound boxing, but I'd suggest anyone picking up a rift to skip tilt brush right away. Not because its not a good program, its great, but because Quill is the same sort of app and included free. I'd say give that a shot and if you find you really dig vr drawing, look into tilt brush.

EDIT EDIT:

I'll also take any opportunity to post some VR art because I think this poo poo is just the coolest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YobyXs8osxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzsG1uqfDTQ

As long as I'm talking about art programs now, anyone remotely interested should check out Kingspray. It's a really neat graffiti sim basically. It has a ton of atmospheric environments, and its multiplayer (cross platform as well) so you can hang out spray painting crap with other people. They just had a big update that added a subway area, some new paint behavior like drying and better running, as well as metallic paints and other stuff. There's seriously something fun about having your radio blasting away, a flashlight on, while you're in a dark subway painting on the side of a subway car for no good reason shooting the poo poo with people on the other side of the planet.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 18, 2017

iceaim
May 20, 2001

What is a good starting point video tutorial for photogrammetry? I am going to try my first attempt at it.

Also is there a particularly good piece of photogrammetry software I can use? I don't mind paying for software either if the paid versions are superior.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

iceaim posted:

What is a good starting point video tutorial for photogrammetry? I am going to try my first attempt at it.

Also is there a particularly good piece of photogrammetry software I can use? I don't mind paying for software either if the paid versions are superior.

I haven't seen any video tutorials, but Valve articles are a pretty good starting point.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/117448248511524033

All of the free stuff I've tried seems really lovely. I've heard RealityCapture is good and painless to use, but expensive. I've been using the free trial of Agisoft PhotoScan, and it's pretty good, the algoritms aren't as good as with RealityCapture, but it has a lot of nice tools.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I pulled the trigger on that Oculus deal. While I wait for it to ship, are there any good guides around for getting it set up on Steam VR?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tykero posted:

I pulled the trigger on that Oculus deal. While I wait for it to ship, are there any good guides around for getting it set up on Steam VR?

SteamVR mostly piggybacks off Oculus Home for Rifts, and you have to duplicate getting it setup in steamVR and then its just kind of annoying. The optimal way to get it all setup is to use a few tools, which I've listed below.

saqs handy list of max VR sperging/tuning, listed in the order you will probably want to use them

1: Deskscene
Have your Oculus Guardian walls displayed in VR and see your sensors field of view and where they intersect, helps with optimizing sensor placement/orientation. Your sensors have a maximum range of about 8ft so you will want to make sure you have multiple angles of coverage if you go further than that.
https://www.wearvr.com/apps/desk-scene-check-your-camera-bounds

2: Guardian Boundry Editor
Now that your sensor positions are optimized, make your boundry walls straight and clean! Back them up / restore them after tuning them incrementally and precisely instead of running the fully integrated setup that only lets you start all the way over. Very useful!
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/

3: ChaperoneTweak
Once your Guardian Boundries are optimized you will want to get the Chaperone boundries setup in a similar fashion. I am not a fan of the SteamVR setup with a rift. This gives you yet another virtual room to see your Chaperone walls and defined floor space. Use the controllers to move around the chaperone walls so they overlap your guardian boundries and maximize your floor space.
https://github.com/Xavr0k/ChaperoneTweak

4: Advanced OpenVR Settings plugin
A handy set of general VR tools in a steamVR plugin, lots of options. My most frequently used feature is supersampling adjustment, which you can now do without an application restart. I also like to enable the center floor marker and disable my chaperone walls since the guardian walls are already on anyways. Sometimes the steamVR floor gets goofed up and this lets you do a floor fix very easily.
https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

5: Oculus Tray Tool
A number of oculus specific tweaks along with monitors and a profile that lets you change supersampling/ASW per application. Lots of SteamVR games don't have a native Oculus runtime and so they do not support a native Oculus feature called Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) and some games do not deal well with being forced to run at 45fps, so the thing to do is disable ASW. The Oculus Tray Tool can automate this for you so you don't have to think about it after you set it up. Note that per-profile supersampling controls for SteamVR games will not work because the game isn't detected until after SteamVR is running, and once an application is running you cannot change the supersampling level with the Oculus software. Just use Advanced OpenVR settings to control your supersampling for SteamVR games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Good stuff, thanks very much.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

iceaim posted:

Ugh, this reminds me I need to finish up the photogrammetry tutorial I've been trying to put together. Yeah though, like Rectus said that valve guide is good, and also check out: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Destinations/Creating_a_Destination#Creating_a_Destination_in_Destination_Workshop_Tools for some of the steps in converting it into something you can view in VR incredibly easily.

As to the software, photoscan is good if you grab the demo that actually lets you save and export and not the silly one that doesn't, and I believe the personal license is 180 or something bucks. Reality capture is the other option, it's got a month by month, or 6 or 12 license instead of just a one time purchase, but you can grab it right off steam. Neither program is perfect. Reality Capture is AMAZINGLY fast compared to photoscan, and some parts of scenes I've seen it do a better job on the geometry for really thin freestanding things. The downside is theres no way to view anything but the pointcloud in the actual software, you have to export the mesh created just to view it at all and I've found while it does a really good job on some geometry, it does a more jittery job on a lot of it as well and a worse job on the texture. I still want to try out rendering with both, then combining the best parts of each mesh and retexture in photoscan but I haven't really felt like spending money on reality capture as well since I already have photoscan... but I really should try it.

Heres an example of the same scene rendered in Reality Capture on High settings:

And the same data rendered through Photoscan on medium (I've never used high, it takes ungodly long as it is on medium):

The second image there looks almost photo realistic. This is kind of why I've stuck with photoscan despite its slow slow slow rendering. It's also nice to be able to see the mesh in the software before exporting.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I've been starting off with small objects to practice with Photoscan. It's a very cool piece of software.

Anyone interested in photogrammetry should check out Realities on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/452710/Realities/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tykero posted:

Good stuff, thanks very much.

For a simpler step-by-step guide:

1) Run through your Oculus setup and make sure everything works fine.
2) Install the SteamVR Beta.
3) Do the normal SteamVR roomscale setup with your Rift.
4) Install the OpenVR Advanced Settings and do the Floor Fix feature from inside SteamVR.
5) Use ChaperoneTweak to make sure your chaperone walls are against your guardian bounds. It isn't the most intuitive thing so good luck.
6) Use OpenVR Advanced Settings to disable the chaperone walls so you only see your guardian bounds.

Once all that is done, your trials and tribulations may just be beginning! SteamVR is pretty notorious for not working right, especially for Oculus users. If your game isn't working, here are some things to try:

1) Try restarting Steam or your PC.
2) Try uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR.
3) Try the SteamVR stable branch.
4) Try launching your VR game from inside SteamVR.
5) Try launching your VR game from outside SteamVR while SteamVR is running.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I've honestly never had a problem with steam. i set it up and haven't thought about it since. Didn't need to do any chaperone editing, advanced settings tweaks, floor fix, or anything. Just turned off chaperone bounds and everything so far has worked without issue.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is the TPCast for the Vive out yet?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

I've honestly never had a problem with steam. i set it up and haven't thought about it since. Didn't need to do any chaperone editing, advanced settings tweaks, floor fix, or anything. Just turned off chaperone bounds and everything so far has worked without issue.

My experience as well. I saw the links for all these utilities and tweaks but have never used a single one.

I mean, they look cool, but I don't want to introduce problems now when everything is working great.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I don't really have problems with SteamVR on my Rift either, anymore. When I first got it I had all kinds of crazy issues and then they just went away never to return. I swear to god there is some ounce of flesh that SteamVR requires of new Rift users and then it leaves you alone.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tide posted:

It's out in China, desperate people are ordering from there. US release seems like pretty shortly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

2 days in and so far same. I use steams nice straight walls for my "you have a few inches left" walls, and left my oculus guardian walls as my "ok you can reach out here, just not real far" walls.

Oddly. I like having 2 sets of walls. Am I crazy?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

2 days in and so far same. I use steams nice straight walls for my "you have a few inches left" walls, and left my oculus guardian walls as my "ok you can reach out here, just not real far" walls.

Oddly. I like having 2 sets of walls. Am I crazy?

Thats a fairly clever implementation, but yes, you are crazy.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nalin posted:

For a simpler step-by-step guide:

1) Run through your Oculus setup and make sure everything works fine.
2) Install the SteamVR Beta.
3) Do the normal SteamVR roomscale setup with your Rift.
4) Install the OpenVR Advanced Settings and do the Floor Fix feature from inside SteamVR.
5) Use ChaperoneTweak to make sure your chaperone walls are against your guardian bounds. It isn't the most intuitive thing so good luck.
6) Use OpenVR Advanced Settings to disable the chaperone walls so you only see your guardian bounds.

Once all that is done, your trials and tribulations may just be beginning! SteamVR is pretty notorious for not working right, especially for Oculus users. If your game isn't working, here are some things to try:

1) Try restarting Steam or your PC.
2) Try uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR.
3) Try the SteamVR stable branch.
4) Try launching your VR game from inside SteamVR.
5) Try launching your VR game from outside SteamVR while SteamVR is running.

This is good, but also don't forget to download an app and overwrite it to launch steamvr from within oculus home, by far the most useful thing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Thats a fairly clever implementation, but yes, you are crazy.

"Small room"

Figured, Itll save a window or two (It did, night one. Lost a blind, but had the wall thing not been there i may have punched it out tbh). Office has 2 giant windows.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 19, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
At 6:30 PST (in about 45 minutes) there's gonna be a showmatch between some of the Echo Arena devs and some of the better community members (me included), it's gonna be streamed at https://www.twitch.tv/poonannersplay

You should watch, it will be sweet

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i wish I could get into echo arena, I was good enough at unspoken to stomp all over the devs but I just can't get the hang of space polo

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

At 6:30 PST (in about 45 minutes) there's gonna be a showmatch between some of the Echo Arena devs and some of the better community members (me included), it's gonna be streamed at https://www.twitch.tv/poonannersplay

You should watch, it will be sweet

Is this a special thing just for the match or are the servers still up? I thought the beta ended a day or 2 ago.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Is this a special thing just for the match or are the servers still up? I thought the beta ended a day or 2 ago.

Special thing just for the match.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Neat. I played a match with David, we won like 25-0.

Good luck Lemming!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I know I'm late but Gorn loving rules. It's def my new workout game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Bleah, technical difficulties with their server. Rescheduled for tomorrow

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tide posted:

I'm waiting for more news about the wireless kit Intel showed recently that apparently worked flawlessly compared to TPCast's almost-flawlessly.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Anybody remember Zenblade? It disappeared a while back due to unspecified legal reasons. Well, now it's back in the form of "Katana X", and the dev is giving out free keys to Zenblade owners. Also, there are tatami mats in the game now.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hurry up and download Robo Recall!

BTW; if any of you other newbs can't get the Oculus software to detect your sensors, try this:

quote:

I've just fixed this problem on my computer by going in to device manager you can see Oculus VR devices underneath it says Rift Sensor and that is the triangle with the explanation mark. I right clicked on that and select update driver software it will ask you to ether Search automatically for updated driver software or browse my computer for driver software select Browse go to C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers and click next it than said driver successfully installed. That's what worked for me anyway good luck. Was a really annoying problem happen to me after the last update.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
http://www.pcgamer.com/terry-crews-likes-playerunknowns-battlegrounds-more-than-you/

Terry Crews likes the Rift and thinks VR is the future.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lol he wants to do a VR episode of Brooklyn nine-nine.... I love you T Crews.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone had much luck with FlyInside for XPlame 11? I'm not sure what settings are best for a stable experience.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

iceaim posted:

Their lenses tend to give a barrel distortion. There's a better lens vendor that eliminates this artifact, but their name escapes me.

I have experienced zero noticeable barrel distortion with my adapters for the Vive. And I got the first gen lens adapters. Now they offer a new version that apparently addresses the initial complaints they received.

For me, even with the first generation lenses, the image quality/user experience is far, far superior with the inserts than having to struggle with glasses inside the HMD. I have a big head, and my eyes are spaced far apart (70+mm IPD) so I have to wear wide glasses and they simply do not fit inside the rift at all, and barely fit inside the vive. And they never stay correctly positioned on my face when I go to put the headset on. It's also loving impossible to really adjust the glasses while the HMD is on.

I read the threads on r/vive when they were complaining about it, and honestly it sounds to me like buyer's remorse. They dropped 800 bucks on a headset + 100 bucks for adapters, and it still doesn't look as good as they imagined it would (and it never will because this is 1st gen tech) so they get all pissy and throw a fit. Obviously it's the lenses that are ruining the experience! :byodood:

Honestly, I can't stress it enough: for me the adapters took VR from "interesting but uncomfortable and not very fun in the long term" to "VR ERRY DAY :v:"

And they just shipped my adapters for the rift, so I can give it a try without using my backup glasses. I'll give a trip report of course.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So this summer sale really made me spend a lot of money. I ended up buying Superhot VR, Elite: Dangerous, Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, and Flyinside-fsx. Oh and a HOTAS. We're definitely through the looking glass here, people. I'd also have bought a 3rd sensor if I knew where I could find one that won't take a few months to ship.

:retrogames:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GutBomb posted:

So this summer sale really made me spend a lot of money. I ended up buying Superhot VR, Elite: Dangerous, Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, and Flyinside-fsx. Oh and a HOTAS. We're definitely through the looking glass here, people. I'd also have bought a 3rd sensor if I knew where I could find one that won't take a few months to ship.

:retrogames:

If you have a HOTAS you should definitely check out War Thunder since its free, but maybe you have already. :)

I bought Super Hot VR, Arizona Sunshine and uhhh something else. Still haven't bought Star Trek because its still full price but man I'm so tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have a HOTAS you should definitely check out War Thunder since its free, but maybe you have already. :)

I bought Super Hot VR, Arizona Sunshine and uhhh something else. Still haven't bought Star Trek because its still full price but man I'm so tempted.

War Thunder is neat but made me feel nauseated after a while. Not sure why since I have no problem with Elite. Definitely worth a download to gently caress around for a while though.