Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

She has to sleep in the closet now? That's kind of weird

Also I can definitely see how a teenager would be upset about having built up a personal style and having it just completely bulldozed over, especially with the mom getting rid of any clothes she didn't like

Forget the clothes, they took away her journals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Intruder posted:

She has to sleep in the closet now? That's kind of weird

Also I can definitely see how a teenager would be upset about having built up a personal style and having it just completely bulldozed over, especially with the mom getting rid of any clothes she didn't like

Or like stone grind and buff a 2mm layer off the corian countertops jeez. :jerkbag:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah this is the part that pushes it from "idiots not think about her feelings" to "actively malicious"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I bet they read them too

This makes me so, so mad

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mirthless posted:

she's going to die sad and alone

it's a cruel thing to think, but i hope she's barren.

imagine how someone who starts with "my children must be from superior aryan 'naturally beautiful' stock" would approach actually raising those children. severe mommy dearest vibes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there is absolutely zero possibility they did not read the journals they confiscated in the process of trying to remodel their daughter/sister to suit their taste

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ok I missed that part :stare:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

it's a cruel thing to think, but i hope she's barren.

imagine how someone who starts with "my children must be from superior aryan 'naturally beautiful' stock" would approach actually raising those children. severe mommy dearest vibes

Can you imagine how she'd react if she won the recessive lottery and her perfect aryan stock pumped out a kid with a cleft palate and some rare genetic disorder like Retinitis Pigmentosa?

"He's super hot! We're going to have the cutest and most perfect babies! He's from West Virginia so you know they've kept their bloodlines pure!"

*two months later, baby is up for adoption*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a kid I would right fake entries in my journal because I assumed its existence would lead people to want to read it like I was trying to convince them i wasnt landing my ships at normandy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It must suck to be stuck in an episode of Mad Men. Well, if you're a woman anyway

My [22F] boss [50M] and coworkers [35-45M/F] treat me like garbage because I'm "just a secretary."

quote:

Hi, good people of Reddit. I apologize for the long post. (crossposted from r/jobs, a few tweaks to identify relationship issues.)
My final semester senior year, I interned with a very large news company in a high-profile subdivision. The internship was pretty terrible, but being a reporter at that agency was my "dream job," so I sucked it up and performed my heart out, hoping to get the elusive internship-turned-job-offer that everyone dreams of.
It worked. After the internship, I was offered an Assistant position to one of our C-suite executives, Bill. I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of doing admin work after working very hard for my journalism degree, but reasoned that being so close to a senior-level executive would undoubtedly set me on a path to success in the organization. I accepted the job.
Now, a year and a half later, I'm starting to think I made a very serious mistake. I have not been able to impress anyone with the writing, reporting, and PR skills I spent 4 years and 4 prestigious internships honing; honestly, I have not been able to impress anyone at all. Instead, I am constantly treated like a piece of furniture, if not outright denigrated by my older colleagues and the C-suite executive, Bill.
Nearly every other admin assistant in the organization is a woman, usually in late fifties to mid sixties, who are very content with the work they do, and don't mind managing office workflow and dealing with guests. All of them are treated with a pretty clear level of neglect; it is clear to the (mostly male) agency that "secretary" roles are "not important" (despite the look of sheer terror that crosses their faces when one of us announces we are going on leave.)
I have a vast amount of respect for admin work after doing it for over a year. It's not just sitting at a desk, setting Outlook calendar meetings and politely greeting visitors - it is a grueling workload of managing personnel, logistics, and workflow; juggling priorities on tight and often-fluctuating deadlines; understanding the moods and preferences of high-level executives, their counterparts; and being an overall badass. It just seems like nobody else in the organization has respect for these roles, until one of us wants to take vacation, or (God forbid) eat lunch anywhere but our desks.
My coworkers treat me with a shocking level of disrespect and disregard. They will have loud conversations at my desk as if I'm not sitting there (sometimes including Wookie or sex noises), until I politely point out that this is my work area, and I am trying to make calls for Bill.
They use my desk as a shared area to dump their belongings, interrupt me when speaking (every time), claim my ideas in meetings, and have on numerous occasions referred to me as "just a secretary" when I speak up and contribute.
I want a more substantive role in my field. I have worked hard over the past year to make it clear that I want growth, while reinforcing how grateful I am for the work I have. But now I worry that I have been pidgeonholed as a "secretary" who isn't set for substantive success in the organization.
The amount of criticism I get for things wildly outside of my control boggles my mind. Today, I was physically shouted at by Bill (the C-suite exec) at 9:05am for "forgetting" to book his travel, when the orders for the travel came in at 9:00am this morning. Last month, I spent three weeks planning a last-minute and large-scale event that went off without a hitch, and watched as Bill praised another employee instead, who received every ounce of credit for it (despite the fact that I, and I alone, worked tirelessly to accomplish it, including personally buying the resources for it, and working 12 hours of unpaid overtime to see it through).
In one instance, an editor shouted at me for asking him to sign a document that needed his signature, calling me "incompetent" and screaming that I would never make it as a reporter in the organization.
I am constantly juggling logistics for large-scale events the office is in charge of, Bill's entire calendar, several administrative duties to a few other executives, and whatever substantive side projects I can take on, in hopes of proving myself (these are usually disregarded entirely, or other writers and editors take credit for them.)
All in all, I am either treated like a piece of furniture, or actively disparaged. Most of the admin assistants here are largely ignored, but I feel that I am particularly denigrated. I'm not sure if that's because I'm young (22), in an admin role, a woman, or some combination of the three, but it is incredibly demoralizing. I am an intelligent, successful young woman. I have my own business on the side that I manage that makes me almost as much money as my job. I would be an excellent reporter, and feel that I have proven so time and time again, not only with the side projects I take on and articles I have written, but also with a fairly prestigious unpaid publication I write with on the side.
I have had several conversations with my immediate manager, as well as Bill, on my goals for moving through the organization. From the immediate manager, who has since left, I frequently heard "we will move you to a reporter role as soon as we find new secretaries," but it never happened (my company is trying to downsize, so new hires are exceedingly infrequent). Bill could not give a drat what happens to me, so long as someone is there to answer his phone and color-code his calendar. I know it is time to take the next step, but I'm not sure to where. And in the meantime, I don't know how to deal with horrible bosses and coworkers who treat me like garbage.
Having this company on my resume is great. Having this job is not. I've sent out applications, but organizations seem to only want me to fulfill more admin roles.
I know that many here may say "You've only been there 18 months, success doesn't happen overnight, everybody needs to pay their dues." I'm aware of that, I truly am. But this isn't a matter of "ugh I hate getting coffee for the boss, but love what I'm learning on the job!" It's a matter of feeling miserable in my workplace everyday. I am tired of being disrespected. I'm tired of being treated like a nuisance, until someone needs something from me. I'm tired of being interrupted every time I speak and shouted at every time someone is stressed. Reddit, what should I do?
tl;dr: I feel trapped in an admin role that does not teach me new skills, actively harms my mental wellbeing, and has a boss that treats me like crap and shouts at me. My ultimate goal would be to get a substantive role in the organization - but in the meantime, how can I earn the respect of him and my colleagues?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

As a kid I would right fake entries in my journal because I assumed its existence would lead people to want to read it like I was trying to convince them i wasnt landing my ships at normandy.

Dear diary, today Brad punched Ian in the cafeteria because someone finally told him that Ian has been telling everyone what a slut Brad's GF is. When Kelly found out she wanted to know what the fight was about and I pretended I didn't know, but then Kimberly opened her big mouth and told Kelly the whole story and Kelly had to go home crying. Plans for the invasion of Calais are proceeding apace. Weather service insists on early June as our peak operational window. Had to go over Montgomery's head to requisition supplies and manpower, but 3rd and 4th Army should be up to strength within a fortnight.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Intruder posted:

It must suck to be stuck in an episode of Mad Men. Well, if you're a woman anyway

My [22F] boss [50M] and coworkers [35-45M/F] treat me like garbage because I'm "just a secretary."

This girl has run afoul of the old classic, C-level executives trying to use linkedin (or recruiting agencies, alternatively) as a dating service

Get out now before he starts pressuring you into sleeping with him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey reddit, so Im a trained pianist so burning my hands are the last thing I want to do but I got home and saw the range was on so I put my arm there to make sure my hand doesnt get burned and after standing like this for a minute I feel like I should turn the heat off. Anyway, how do I set the time on the oven?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

that secretary story is lovely but the part about wookiee noises was pretty funny

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
every executive hallway I've ever walked down has been split down the middle between two kinds of admins;

1. 50-60 y/os who know Excel, Word and Outlook like you and I know the english language
2. 20-somethings who got hired because the executive wants a "hot secretary"

If you're 22 and your multi-millionaire CEO wants you to handle his important business it's smart to examine their motivations and maybe consider if your experience and skills match up with the position being offered in any obvious way

It's The Shittiest Thing but executives are The Shittiest People so you've got to have low expectations

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That's what stood out to me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

You can't. You're a woman and they don't respect you and they never will.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mirthless posted:

every executive hallway I've ever walked down has been split down the middle between two kinds of admins;

1. 50-60 y/os who know Excel, Word and Outlook like you and I know the english language

If you're 22 and your multi-millionaire CEO wants you to handle his important business it's smart to examine their motivations and maybe consider if your experience and skills match up with the position being offered in any obvious way

It's The Shittiest Thing but executives are The Shittiest People so you've got to have low expectations

If a rich executive wanted me to be a glorified painting for their office, I'd be game. That's not gonna happen to me, but I'd do it. Hell, I'd even wear a dress and heels.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

lol if you don't tell the barista about ur abortion as she hands u ur mocha

LOL. I listened to a lady talking about giving birth at a coffee shop. She very loudly said," and my vagina was opening and closing, opening and closing..." I can't remember the rest of the story, but it was something about how the state was talking her kid away from her. The barista managed to keep a straight face the whole time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

If a rich executive wanted me to be a glorified painting for their office, I'd be game. That's not gonna happen to me, but I'd do it. Hell, I'd even wear a dress and heels.

Its pretty lovely because what they want is basically a mom they can gently caress, and who they will replace the instant theyre bored. Its the penis of damocles.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

legitimate cause to run away and join the circus imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mirthless posted:

My office had a hot mid 20s admin (granted she was an office admin, not tied to an executive) who did a great job and transitioned into a new position with more responsibilities before taking a better job elsewhere and was replaced by a mid 20s man who worked 10-3 and left for an hour or two out of that time to go to the gym just about every day resulting in a lot of that admin work falling back into her lap (I'm sure that contributed to her leaving) so I guess I don't know, office politics and such

Bored posted:

LOL. I listened to a lady talking about giving birth at a coffee shop. She very loudly said," and my vagina was opening and closing, opening and closing..." I can't remember the rest of the story, but it was something about how the state was talking her kid away from her. The barista managed to keep a straight face the whole time.

Oh you've met my wife? :v:

She's been a childbirth educator and is a lactivist so she's very open about talking about this kind of thing wherever she might happen to be

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Barudak posted:

penis of damocles.

mods, please, i have suffered under this esoteric pun name long enough

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Can you imagine how she'd react if she won the recessive lottery and her perfect aryan stock pumped out a kid with a cleft palate and some rare genetic disorder like Retinitis Pigmentosa?

"He's super hot! We're going to have the cutest and most perfect babies! He's from West Virginia so you know they've kept their bloodlines pure!"

*two months later, baby is up for adoption*

She's probably kill that kid instead of doing that. You know, with how loving crazy and retarded she is.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

This girl has run afoul of the old classic, C-level executives trying to use linkedin (or recruiting agencies, alternatively) as a dating service

Get out now before he starts pressuring you into sleeping with him

Sounds like corporate life sucks rear end and you are acquainted with it somewhat?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

Bf's mom asked me to provide birth certificate, W-2 and last 2 paystubs so she can bring someone over from Vietnam?

My guess would be a fake https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Intruder posted:

My office had a hot mid 20s admin (granted she was an office admin, not tied to an executive) who did a great job and transitioned into a new position with more responsibilities before taking a better job elsewhere and was replaced by a mid 20s man who worked 10-3 and left for an hour or two out of that time to go to the gym just about every day resulting in a lot of that admin work falling back into her lap (I'm sure that contributed to her leaving) so I guess I don't know, office politics and such

Oh you've met my wife? :v:

She's been a childbirth educator and is a lactivist so she's very open about talking about this kind of thing wherever she might happen to be

Office admin is the kind of job you start doing as an AA, generally speaking. It's made for young people. They're getting up all the time, running around delivering mail, restocking office supplies, shopping for the business, sometimes they even do grunt work like moving furniture.

Executive AAs are juggling the schedules of people who have back to back meetings all day while making sure all of the exec's repetitive tasks (like signing off on invoices and responding to emails) gets done; It's the kind of job where inexperience can totally bury you and have a real impact on the company's bottom line. That's not to say there aren't 20-somethings who can do it, but given the risk averse nature of your average executive it's probably smart to examine the motivations of your employer and honestly ask why you were hired over a more experienced candidate.

I have a lot of respect for our hot admin (and admins in general, because it's a hard job) but it's not a secret that our CEO is a real vain dude who spent most of his life in investment banking and her ability to do the job was probably not nearly as important as appealing to his vanity was

Viva Miriya posted:

Sounds like corporate life sucks rear end and you are acquainted with it somewhat?

I've done corporate IT support for the better part of ten years and worked with a lot of executives and their admins

It really does suck rear end, corporate culture is terrible and it gets worse every year

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 19, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Barudak posted:

Its pretty lovely because what they want is basically a mom they can gently caress, and who they will replace the instant theyre bored. Its the penis of damocles.

Yeah, it sucks in actual practice for the young women (and men) who are looking to get experience and build a career.

You get an award for a wonderful turn of phrase.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I [25f] thought my new work of 1 year was strange. I found out today they're in a cult. Where to go from here?

quote:

This is difficult and not something I thought I'd ever, in my life, need advice on. I work for a large corporation. Think: white collar. Think: huge deals. Think: highly revered. Think: global
This was my dream role. I was head hunted and moved from a job I absolutely loved. I've been here a year now and during that time I've found the majority of people I work with very bizarre.
It started off by me noticing a lot of instances where the consensus in the office was something that was either old fashioned, highly conservative or very, for want of a better word, insensitive.
I.e. No tolerance for alcohol, or hearing about instances where employees have been intoxicated. Strong views around pro life, etc.
Fast forward to today. A colleague who has been there longer than me quits on the spot, but takes me aside before walking out. I've hardly dealt with her in my life, we've said no more than a couple of sentences to each other.
She tells me to get out "while I can". I laugh, confused. She says it again. I laugh again.
Eventually I ask why and she proceeds to tell me that almost everyone else we work with is actually part of a very well known cult. I'm talking this is a cult that has been discussed and documented A LOT in the media.
I didn't believe her, but then she pulled out her phone and showed me the social media pages of the cult, and there are pictures of SO MANY PEOPLE I WORK WITH.
Since then I can't focus. I am really loving creeped out and I feel like I'm in a Stepford Wives remake.
On top of that, she said that they never promote or nurture anyone unless they join, which checks out because all the VPs are involved in it.
But then again I had NO inkling at all, beyond a super conservative culture, that this was the case. None of them have ever discussed any of these views with me.
How should I handle this? Should I stay or quit? What do I do if I stay and they approach me? I don't want anything to do with it.
tl;dr: Found out my work is full of cult members. Should I leave or stay?

Super curious what cult it is

Guessing Scientology?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, it sucks in actual practice for the young women (and men) who are looking to get experience and build a career.

21st century.txt

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Intruder posted:

I [25f] thought my new work of 1 year was strange. I found out today they're in a cult. Where to go from here?

Super curious what cult it is

Guessing Scientology?

Probably, but Im hoping its something more like Thulsa Doom.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Barudak posted:

What is the power of an HR complaint over the executive who wields it?

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I[28m] called my friends with benefit[27f] a friend, she just started to cry at a party saying that I just use her for sex. And that no one has made her feel so worthless.

quote:

u/justFriends22
I met my friends with benefits Lisa from a networking event three months ago. I should mention I have recently moved to a new city for a job, and I don't have much of a social life than meeting women through dating apps.

Lisa and I started hooking up, the first night we met. We hooked up twice after that, and we both agreed to become friends with benefits. Most of our relationship is just hooking up, but recently we went to see Wonder Woman together.

One day Lisa was coming over and she pointed out that my apartment had an event going on. She wanted to go and I agreed, I wanted to meet my new neighbors anyways. So me and Lisa go, I introduce Lisa as a friend to everyone. I thought it was the best term since we are friends with benefits.

After we talked a bit she starts to get emotional,and when I try to talk to her she tells me she needs her space. She goes to a corner and then starts to cry, my neighbors go to help her and she then tells everyone that I am just her "gently caress toy" that I just her for sex. Everyone starts giving me a really bad looks. AFter about fiteen minutes she finally comes up to my apartment we talk things out.

She said that I only introduced her as my "friend" so I could hook up with other women. I told her yes, we aren't exclusive, and I don't want my neighbors to think I am cheating if they see me with other women. She starts going off that I make her feel like a whore. I told her if she doesn't want to then she shouldn't be in a friends with benefits relationship. I told her to leave my apartment.

I don't understand this. Why am I the bad guy here? I don't see what makes me bad for not wanting a relationship when she wants the same thing. She never said hey lets be exclusive. And I don't see how using the word "Friend" was demeaning here at all? I think she just has some serious entitlement issues she needs to work out.

Please tell me if I am doing something wrong or if she is just acting crazy. And what should I do now? Should I ignore her texts to meet up. She says she wants to apologize and make things right. but I am worried if this is more of a behavior flaw than just some hormonal slip up like she is framing it as. What to do?

tl;dr- my firends with benefits cried at a party saying that I just user her for sex.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Conan the Consultant.

Krom Finacial Holdings, I have never partnered with you before, I have no presentation skills for it. But help me short stock today or to hell with you!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Barudak posted:

Based on they hyper conservative bent I'm guessing Mormons.

Or Heaven's Gate (Rip Uhura's brother)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milotic posted:

I[28m] called my friends with benefit[27f] a friend, she just started to cry at a party saying that I just use her for sex. And that no one has made her feel so worthless.

Someone buy this man a copy of the documentary double feature No Strings Attached and Friends with Benefits

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Milotic posted:

God I'm probably Mirthlessing here, but if he outright had the define-the-relationship talk with her beforehand and was upfront with expectations, it is probably the cleanest and most accurate way to introduce her without involving other people in the particularities of arrangements as to who and how he bangs? :shrug:

Comedy option: start introducing her in a husky, breathy voice as his LOHVAH.

E: He probably should stop seeing her if he doesn't wanna girlfriend her at this point though, I think it's pretty clear she was trying to leverage FWB into GF and has very different expectations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My [19M] girlfriend [19F] of 6 months has a problem that my sister [17F] is technically an adopted cousin.

quote:

So she was adopted by my uncle and his partner (two dads). My mom helped them raise her a lot and she was her female role model as she was growing up. Three years ago, my uncle and his partner died in an accident and my mom adopted her. I always loved her like a sister and after she was adopted we just started calling each other brother and sister. She calls my mom, mom too.
So my girlfriend was talking to her and I was there too. At that time she didn't know any of the above. She just thought we're biological siblings. My girlfriend mentioned that she looks more like my mom than I do. My sister answered that we're technically cousins and our mom isn't her biological mother, she's her aunt. My girlfriend said something like "even so, you still have probably have a lot of the same genes" and my sister said she was adopted so they just look alike randomly. I remember my gf saying "oh so you two aren't even biologically cousins?"...
So yesterday she tells me that she it's weird that I'm close with my sister when we're really adopted cousins which really means just friends. I was a little shocked and told her that she's family, not just a friend. Our lack of biological connection doesn't matter at all in my opinion but she thinks it makes a huge difference because we don't have the safeguards that evolution has put in place. I don't even know what that means. She ended the conversation and asked me to think about it.
All I can say is what the hell? What does she expect from me? Tell her that my sister isn't my sister? What should I say to her?
tl;dr: Girlfriend is telling me that my sister isn't really my sister because she's an adopted cousin who was later adopted by my mom.

Ugh

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Milotic posted:

This is why it's just better to bang married women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Comedy option: start introducing her in a husky, breathy voice as his LOHVAH.

Get more technical, she is his Sexual Activities Liason.