Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just noticed that in The Photograph Diana and Steve are the only ones with their weapons drawn. She has her sword out and he has his shotgun out. Everyone else has their weapons shouldered or holstered. Is there any reason for that or is it just because they're the lead characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The others are soldiers by trade, not by choice. They'd rather sing, act, tell stories.

Part of Diana's growth as a character is becoming more than just a fighter - not because she's a woman, but because to define yourself as a warrior means bringing the war with you wherever you go. And that's a burden that can break a man, like it broke Charlie.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just noticed that in The Photograph Diana and Steve are the only ones with their weapons drawn. She has her sword out and he has his shotgun out. Everyone else has their weapons shouldered or holstered. Is there any reason for that or is it just because they're the lead characters?

I have about a hundred photos like this of me, and various other Soldiers, in Iraq.

And it's totally random. Just depends on what you're doing when somebody says: "Hey, you guys stand together for a photo!".

There might be something more symbolic to it because it's a movie, but I don't think so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did Diana even bring a scabbard?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, sometimes it's on her left hip (when she first climbs the ladder out of the trench) but most of the time it's across her back (when she fights Ares or at the gala).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ungulateman posted:

The others are soldiers by trade, not by choice. They'd rather sing, act, tell stories.

Part of Diana's growth as a character is becoming more than just a fighter - not because she's a woman, but because to define yourself as a warrior means bringing the war with you wherever you go. And that's a burden that can break a man, like it broke Charlie.
Thats true, those two are the only current professional soldiers/warriors. Since war is equated with truth and purpose by Ludendorff and Ares, I wonder if Charlie's PTSD is supposed to be representative of Diana's comment at the beginning of the movie about "what one does when faced with the truth is more difficult than you think". You can either use it as a tool for growth or allow it to defeat you.

spacetoaster posted:

I have about a hundred photos like this of me, and various other Soldiers, in Iraq.

And it's totally random. Just depends on what you're doing when somebody says: "Hey, you guys stand together for a photo!".

There might be something more symbolic to it because it's a movie, but I don't think so.
I'd normally chalk it up to being a random pose but since it's a movie and this is the Internet, you gotta read into everything. ;)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well obviously you can't have everyone holding their weapons the same way, it looks weird. Diana may get a pass because she has a sword, not a gun.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
It is the two main characters with their weapons drawn, so maybe that is why.

They had to recreate that based on the photo they had for BvS - I seem to recall Patty Jenkins talking about it. It might have been totally out of her hands. She wasn't involved in casting Gal Gadot, so I doubt she had input on the photo - though I do think she was attached to a WW movie at that point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
WW was shooting before BvS finished post production and came out, they probably took that actual photo during WW production. There were set photos of Veld a few months before BvS debuted.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think Chief Napi is holding his rifle.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ewen Bremner (who played Charlie) talks about having to re-create The Photograph for Wonder Woman. http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-film-vintage-photo/

quote:

“That was the first thing that we shot, before we’d even shot a scene [for Wonder Woman] we shot that photograph,” actor Ewen Bremner, who plays Charlie, told to Yahoo Movies.

However, tackling the image first ended up causing a slew of problems for the film’s development. The photo — which in addition to Diana and Charlie also includes Steve Trevor (Chris Pine), Sameer (Saïd Taghmaoui) and The Chief (Eugene Brave Rock) — was captured four months before Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was even set for theatrical release, meaning the set designers for Wonder Woman were still early on in production.

“It meant that when we eventually got around to shooting the scene that the [photograph] is from, we had to really painstakingly recreate it,” Bremner continued. “Because we [took the photo] against a half-built set, in a way sets were still being built at that point. So by the time we came around to filming that scene, probably around five months later, the sets were much more developed. So we had to find a way to recreate the exact same image after half a year had gone by.”

The only big difference I noticed was that the straps for her scabbard are angled in the opposite direction in the film compared to the photo.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think Chief Napi is holding his rifle.
Yeah, but he's holding it in a resting position. The barrel is facing backwards. You can see it better here but the butt of the rifle is facing out.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 18, 2017

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I wish there were merch of the rest of the gang. :(

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Something one of ya'll said about PTSD reminded me of something I read discussing primary sources from Ancient Rome describing former soldiers who were "haunted by ghosts" and that it sounded a lot like PTSD. Not sure how to tie that in exactly with the whole pseudo ancient greek thing but uhh it is a ghost analogy :ghost:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That's how Chief describes it too when Charlie has his nightmare.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ewen Bremner owns because he's had exactly the career that a less attractive Ewan McGregor would have, and that's more or less precisely what he is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

patriotic dog posted:

I wish there were merch of the rest of the gang. :(

That group really, really needed at least a 6 issue miniseries on their exploits.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

^^^ I hope they will not be wasted on a CW show anyways.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DeimosRising posted:

Overall famine deaths relative to population were actually somewhat higher in the Russian Empire in the century prior to the Revolution than in the period of Soviet rule, discounting deaths under Nazi occupation.

Not to defend Tsarism or anything, but this seems like an iffy point to me merely due to the dramatic changes in food production and distribution that technological progress brought with it. It would be kind of a given that a country in 1817 would have a much more difficult time dealing a famine then than a century later with some expansion in its infrastructure and a more developed agricultural sector.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

That group really, really needed at least a 6 issue miniseries on their exploits.

I thought the group's inclusion was pretty uninteresting, but then I also thought Chris Pine's character was also not really interesting within the story.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think that's due to us not really knowing much about any of the characters. Charlie has PTSD, Sammy wants to be an actor, Chief has no where else to go, and Steve feels like he has to do something. That's really all we know about them. If a bit more back story was given for them I think there's potential but that wasn't the point of the movie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drifter posted:

I thought the group's inclusion was pretty uninteresting, but then I also thought Chris Pine's character was also not really interesting within the story.

An actor, a sniper with PTSD, an American Indian demigod, and a blue-eyed blonde American work as mercenaries for English military intelligence during WW1. How is that not solid gold ?

e. The movie didn't need it, but it's a good story and I'd read that comic.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ha, the one time they don't make a tie-in prequel comic and people want one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

An actor, a sniper with PTSD, an American Indian demigod, and a blue-eyed blonde American work as mercenaries for English military intelligence during WW1. How is that not solid gold ?
An actor, an ex-sniper with crippling PTSD, an American Indian demigod, and a blue-eyed blonde American walk into a bar...

...and nothing happens.

The Native American was a demigod? How was that demonstrated in the film?

They were all just incidental. Maybe they'd have better whatever in a comic run, but in the movie the actor one sneaks an American speaking English with a German accent into the heart of a top-level party, the ex-sniper provides a song and dance after being potential cannon fodder, and the Native American exists and believes in magics I guess. They were just shallow caricatures - or else just boringly overexposited. One of the two.

The b-team in Alien/s or Tropic Thunder or Live-Die-Repeat ,or even Predator, had more interesting and fleshed out activity/characterization.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Drifter posted:

The Native American was a demigod? How was that demonstrated in the film?

When Chief introduces himself to Diana he shakes her hand and says something in Blackfoot that isn't subtitled and she replies with "And I am Diana."

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-woman-actor-says-chief-is-actually-a-demi-god-1796389983

quote:

Indian Country Today previously reported a little-known detail about Wonder Woman’s first encounter with Chief, one of the men recruited by Steve Trevor to help Wonder Woman on her mission. The two of them first addressed each other in the Blackfoot language, a native language of the Americas spoken by about 8,000 people in northern Montana and southern Alberta, Canada. It was the only language that wasn’t subtitled in the film, which makes this next part kind of amazing. During their chat, Chief introduced himself as Napi, a Blackfoot demi-god.

Napi, known as Old Man, is the culture hero of the Blackfoot tribe. He was the first man made by the Creator, and he helped shape the world and its people, along with his wife, Kipitaki. As Moviepilot pointed out, Napi’s origin story is unique in the creation mythos. Rather than being benevolent or kind, Napi is a troublesome trickster, showing how the natural world cannot be controlled.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 19, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like that's such a narrative stretch that it's functionally negligible even if it really was part of the original script in some way.

It's not like Chief actually acts like Napi in any way in the film or does anything remotely demigodlike. Saying "He's actually a powerful folkloric character, it's just not depicted in any way nor does it ever affect anything throughout this story!" is like...:geno: sure, whatever, guys.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Well it is depicted within the story on screen, just only in a language 8000 people in the world can understand.

It's not important to this story, but people are talking specifically about "what if there was a spin-off" in which case they would want that plot element.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Does the character actually say "I am Napi, the trickster from the myths" (or something to that effect) or does he just say "I am Napi"? 'Cuz like, his name could just be Napi. People are named after gods and demigods and legendary figures all the time. Diana herself included.

Just saying...directors or actors can have whatever intent insider subtext they want, but the film's actual content might not suggest anything beyond the fact that this is a guy named Napi.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BrianWilly posted:

Does the character actually say "I am Napi, the trickster from the myths" (or something to that effect) or does he just say "I am Napi"? 'Cuz like, his name could just be Napi. People are named after gods and demigods and legendary figures all the time. Diana herself included.

Just saying...directors or actors can have whatever intent insider subtext they want, but the film's actual content might not suggest anything beyond the fact that this is a guy named Napi.
He introduces himself just as Napi. However, Braverock and Jenkins both said the script noted that he actually is Napi the demigod. That's how he knew Diana would understand what he said.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gotta agree with BrianWilly. If we're talking about what's in the movie, not the secret intentions of the filmmakers, he's just a dude who calls himself Napi, which Googling suggests does appear to be used as a regular human name. The script note is just trivia, unless there's more to go on than that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If we're talking about what's in the movie, then the Gods walk beside and among mortals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well it is depicted within the story on screen, just only in a language 8000 people in the world can understand.

That's pretty cool.

The multicultural mercenaries accompanying a superhero into the Great War does sound like a Golden Age era comic that was never written. (and was less incredibly racist)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

If we're talking about what's in the movie, then the Gods walk beside and among mortals.

Sure, but there's mortals with the name Napi.

It's been a bit since I've seen the movie. Does the guy do anything to associate himself with the legendary Napi? What does it add to the movie to say that dude is the Blackfoot demigod? How does it change how we interpret it?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's been a bit since I've seen the movie. Does the guy do anything to associate himself with the legendary Napi? What does it add to the movie to say that dude is the Blackfoot demigod? How does it change how we interpret it?

It makes the scene where he shows up in the car extremely funny.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It also makes his scene around the campfire more poignant and reinforces the lesson Diana learned from Ares--humanity is lovely enough on its own and even the semi-divine can't seem to do anything about it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Reminds me of how in Star Wars ROTJ one of the aliens was voiced by some guy they had around that spoke a language very few people knew rather than a made up Star Wars language and when the folks from his home country saw the film it was a neat surprise.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
My favorite part of the movie was when Ewen Bremner showed up. Had no idea he was in it.

Also, I dug the movie. I feel it's about on par with Suicide Squad.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Napi is a popular name in many countries.

https://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/Napi

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It also makes his scene around the campfire more poignant and reinforces the lesson Diana learned from Ares--humanity is lovely enough on its own and even the semi-divine can't seem to do anything about it.
Yeah that's true. He would have been there to see first contact with the European explorers and how that all ended up playing out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Saw this last night (haven't seen BvS or SS because lol).

I liked it, didn't love it. Gadot and Pine were incredible, loved their relationship and chemistry. WW was a badass and super likable. The taking of Veld was the highlight and the action there was amazing. The score was good too.

Negatives were some atrocious CGI ($150million budget, are you kidding me?), a paint-by-numbers story (it's incredibly similar to Captain America down to the doomed war romance), pretty lame bad guys (seriously, poison lady looked great but who was she? Also that loving ATROCIOUS scene where she gives the general some super soldier poppers then finds a new chemical weapon on a thrown out piece of paper. What the HELL. Then they're just murdered so the real bad guy can show up 20 minutes before the end, who gives the whole cliche JOIN ME speech), and the last fight scene really sucked.

I watched Spiderman Homecoming the day before and it's interesting to compare. WW had greater highs but way lower lows, Spiderman was obviously aiming for something a bit less grand, more consistent, had a much better villain and was way funnier. I'd say Spiderman was slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

I watched Spiderman Homecoming the day before and it's interesting to compare. WW had greater highs but way lower lows, Spiderman was obviously aiming for something a bit less grand, more consistent, had a much better villain and was way funnier. I'd say Spiderman was slightly better.

The villain in Spiderman was way better.

I think angryjoe hit the nail on the head. You can't have every single superhero movie be about saving the entire world against some god tier bad guy.

• Locked thread