Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jinh posted:

What playing sch with another healer in the party are there unspoken rules about which healer does what? Sch has kinda weak aoe heals due to CDs on indomitability and emergency tactics so are you supposed to get the tank/ot and help out with indomitability and stuff when appropriate?

I mean generally as a scholar you should be *mitigating* damage, not healing it. You should be healing if it's necessary but by and large your goal should be weakening the damage incoming from attacks. You shouldn't be wasting MP on topping off allies or anything unless strictly necessary and allowing indom/lust/Whispering to be your primary sources of healing with your shield being used to mitigate incoming damage instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I mean generally as a scholar you should be *mitigating* damage, not healing it. You should be healing if it's necessary but by and large your goal should be weakening the damage incoming from attacks.

OK I think I might just be overcomplicating it then.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

queeb posted:

DH everywhere. Tenacity will be good once you can hit~2k, so a few patches i guess.

You can already hit 2k tenacity pretty easily. But if you're just talking about dps, tenacity is never going to be better than any stat ever.

If you can get crit over 2800, stack crit, but otherwise stack dhit.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
So I'm fairly new, and I really want go get a character to 50 this time. I got yelled at for using the limit break (that nobody else was using) to blow up the adds on the final boss in Tam Tara Deepcroft. Is there some etiquette that I'm missing about using it, or should I just ignore them?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

dogsicle posted:

I'm new enough to the thread that I have no idea why these petty grudges exist, but yeah I've mostly seen people lose it at him just having an inoffensive opinion.

I wouldn't really use the term "inoffensive" for some of fister's opinions, but even I have to say there's no way fister can actually be as insufferable in game as he is in this thread, so almost by default he's better in game than here. The same is true for probably most of us.

On top of that I know he did that gear thing to help people get to stormblood and through HW story content, and after having done that for 3 people just before stormblood I can respect how big of a pain in the rear end that can be, so good on him for doing it on a waayyyyy bigger scale.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colgate posted:

So I'm fairly new, and I really want go get a character to 50 this time. I got yelled at for using the limit break (that nobody else was using) to blow up the adds on the final boss in Tam Tara Deepcroft. Is there some etiquette that I'm missing about using it, or should I just ignore them?

Using caster LB to blow up large amounts of adds saves a Huge amount of time compared to melee LBing the final boss like they probably wanted to. You did good and they were dumb

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jinh posted:

Using caster LB to blow up large amounts of adds saves a Huge amount of time compared to melee LBing the final boss like they probably wanted to. You did good and they were dumb

Melee LB is almost always a waste unless you don't have another option because DF gave you two melee. Most dungeons have giant pulls that people routinely caster/ranged LB because the potency damage done is massively bigger than a single target LB and in dungeons the LB is for saving time, not downing bosses.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Colgate posted:

Melee LB is usually used on the boss since it does more damage per hit, but if there are adds that need to die the AoE ones are vastly more efficient. You did a good thing.

It also doesn't help that most DPS save the LB until the boss is at 2% health, because they want to land the killing blow with their super special finishing attack: laser sword no jutsu. But you get nothing for overkills so they're just being dumb.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Melee LB is usually used on the boss since it does more damage per hit, but if there are adds that need to die the AoE ones are vastly more efficient. You did a good thing.

It also doesn't help that most DPS save the LB until the boss is at 2% health, because they want to land the killing blow with their super special finishing attack: laser sword no jutsu. But you get nothing for overkills so they're just being dumb.

Yeah like just LB3 when it's full and the boss is using a move that won't require you to move for 10 seconds.

I'm sick of melee dps who do this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Colgate posted:

Caster LB does around half the damage of melee, so hitting a group of adds does significantly more damage and saves more time than hitting a boss with melee. The Tam Tara adds are basically made out of paper, but if you hit a few of them you definitely made the right choice.

There was a 90% chance the melee was going to either waste it or use it at 1% so gently caress them.

This holds true on non boss adds as well. If you're doing a regular pull and there's 4, 5 or more regular mobs, just loving blow them up. Large pulls are more threatening than a lot of bosses anyways.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 19, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Colgate posted:

You did the right thing for the situation.

In endgame stuff, most of the time people save the LB for melee to use when the boss is low to speed past part of the most dangerous part of the fight, but not always. And in dungeons, I often think it's more helpful to use a caster LB to blow up a bunch of adds than to nuke the last few percentage points of a boss's HP when that boss is going to die in 30-45 seconds anyway.

Like in any MMO, people can get really dogmatic about these things. They hear that you always want to melee LB the boss and just assume that always applies, in every situation, no matter how difficult the content, no matter how little attention the melee DPS is paying to when to LB, and any deviation must be wrong.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Additional shame on them for caring about what anyone does in Tam Tara Deepcroft of all places.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guys guys check this out when I, melee dps, use LB1, I pull out CLOUD FROM FF7'S SWORD ISN'T THAT JUST THE COOLEST!!!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Seriously. If the melee not having an LB to take away the last 3% of the boss's HP in loving Tam-Tara Deepcroft actually made a significant difference to how well the run went, there were way bigger problems than a supposedly misused LB.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Shouting "Ixion is up" just before zoning into a dungeon has become my favourite past time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Colgate posted:

Like others said they're a bunch of stupid idiots. In dungeons, you should pop the LB the second it's available, because then you get to start building up to the next one. Idiots will complain about wasting it, but the only actual ways to waste an LB is if it does nothing, or if the bar is sitting at max and you're not using it (because you're wasting the next LB). Idiot melee players will hate you for stealing "their" LB that they were going to use on the final boss when it's at 1%. Good players and especially healers will love you for speeding up big trash pulls.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

Additional shame on them for caring about what anyone does in Tam Tara Deepcroft of all places.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

You can already hit 2k tenacity pretty easily. But if you're just talking about dps, tenacity is never going to be better than any stat ever.

If you can get crit over 2800, stack crit, but otherwise stack dhit.

we still want STR on right side stuff, correct?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
If I'm ever in a dungeon with pubbies and the final boss gets below 5% and we have a full LB bar I pop the tank one just to shame them.

Edit:

Kuvo posted:

we still want STR on right side stuff, right?
Yes.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm leveling a red mage and lb when the tank rounded up >5 enemies in shisui feels so insane, wow, I'm a god.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Has there been math done and confirmed about what secondary stats tanks want to meld?

dh > det > (ten > crit under 1600) > sks. If you're starting savage meld tenacity then remeld to dh when you have stuff on farm or get more gear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kuvo posted:

we still want STR on right side stuff, correct?

Because they added strength to fending accessories, once you can put on 290+ right side, you should. These should get a strength materia melded as well. For anything HW or earlier, you should be wearing slaying accessories. The 260 ones you can buy are more than sufficient without upgrades.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shy posted:

I'm leveling a red mage and lb when the tank rounded up >5 enemies in shisui feels so insane, wow, I'm a god.

I'm all about dropping a caster LB on a mid-dungeon trash pull. Nobody even comments on it, usually, because by the time you get to the last boss you'll have it refilled anyway.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7mSS9XD1zpKRTg5cmkyeG40dEU/view

the math sheet 2

note, that it's a base effectiveness centered around general effective damage
opener phases / bard presence will skew it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Unless you pre-agree on something in Dungeons (Like 'hey lets pull everything between the next boss and just loving ranged LB it') then there are no rules. It's the wild west out there and victory goes to the man with the fastest trigger mouse finger.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
My heart goes out to all the poor ranged DPS Bards out there that have to put up with that godawful LB of theirs. Twice as much of a pain to aim as the caster one.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The coolest use of ranged I saw is pulling the boss.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People going "ugh melee going for overkill finishers on final bosses", try it because it feels really cool

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I started playing this game a couple of months ago and yesterday I finally hit level 70 and finished the Stormblood main quest, which was great!

I just want to thank all the people who helped me with dungeons and advice and whatnot, starting with the goons in PBC who helped me with the ARR content and then the goons in PCD who helped me with Heavensward and Stormblood (I'm a European so I switched realms when a lot of others did). It was all greatly appreciated!

Now I want to level a tank and a healer (I'm leaning towards paladin and astrologian but dark knight seem quite good too as I see a lot of those in dungeons), so hopefully in turn I can better help other new people.

Also here is a picture of my favourite equipment the game gave me to use while levelling:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If it's my friends/goons I'll say "LB" in chat so melee people will hit the button, but with pubs I've seen MCH LB3 probably more than any human alive because you'd best believe I'm going to bring out the loving sky laser if I have a chance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

My heart goes out to all the poor ranged DPS Bards out there that have to put up with that godawful LB of theirs. Twice as much of a pain to aim as the caster one.

Less potency too. Caster LB1 is 1400, ranged physical LB1 is slightly less.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
*die because I'm locked in position building a satellite for 30 seconds in the middle of a battlefield because I stole some Ninja's chance to be cool*

/p WORTH

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

I don't even have lb on my hotbar because it's weak as poo poo and has basically no good use cases. At least this means I've long forgotten it is a thing that exists, rather than feeling like it's a slap on top of having the lowest dps.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

First time I got to use the LB was while levelling a Dragoon, naturally Titan knocked me right off the platform because anything you do is an AOE magnet but he died from it before I hit the ground.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm all about dropping a caster LB on a mid-dungeon trash pull. Nobody even comments on it, usually, because by the time you get to the last boss you'll have it refilled anyway.

My friends didn't believe you could do that first giant pull leading up to lava scorpion right after the previous boss, drop a caster LB on it, and then still get a caster LB to deal with the 4 add hiss on lava scorpion proper. I was so insufferably smug when we did it and they had to admit I was right and "but we kill things too fast because we're savage raiders" wasn't actually true.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jinh posted:

When playing sch with another healer in the party are there unspoken rules about which healer does what? Sch has kinda weak aoe heals due to CDs on indomitability and emergency tactics so are you supposed to get the tank/ot and help out with indomitability and stuff when appropriate?

I never see healers discuss what role they're taking so I figure it must just be an obvious thing I don't see.
Don't lustrate the tank just to top them off is the big one. Good way to piss off pretty much every healer except SCHs (who generally don't care about actively healing the tank anyway).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I love using the R2 LB as a caster (or healer) on the last boss as soon as it is available to watch the inevitable meltdown from the SAM :getin:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Jay Rust posted:

People going "ugh melee going for overkill finishers on final bosses", try it because it feels really cool

Use it at 5% then instead of 0.5%. LB1 does about 5% on average, and LB2 is around 10% on dungeon bosses. Stop Bladedancing at 0.5%.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Jinh posted:

I never see healers discuss what role they're taking so I figure it must just be an obvious thing I don't see.

Healing with a pug healer is actually a game of chicken. It's an unspoken rule that you both compete for how long you can go without freaking out and healing the party or tank. The one who heals first is the loser. Some healers are really bad at this game, but you should never stop broiling unless they are also really bad at also healing. Not actually a rare combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Don't lustrate the tank just to top them off is the big one. Good way to piss off pretty much every healer except SCHs (who generally don't care about actively healing the tank anyway).

Yeah on thinking about it I figure I'll keep the Mt out of danger but with enough space for regen to do its thing, when leveling AST I tended to apply regen and heal the tank whenever they fell below half.

I see why schs tend to focus on dps in 2-healer parties. Not a whole lot else to do.

For some reason I had it in my head that one healer usually focused on the party and one on the tanks. Probably something a friend told me years ago mistakenly.

ruta posted:

Healing with a pug healer is actually a game of chicken.

:getin:

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 19, 2017