Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ruta posted:

Healing with a pug healer is actually a game of chicken. It's an unspoken rule that you both compete for how long you can go without freaking out and healing the party or tank. The one who heals first is the loser. Some healers are really bad at this game, but you should never stop broiling unless they are also really bad at also healing. Not actually a rare combination.

Back in 2.x I had a pubbie healer who got really mad I was DPSing in WoD instead of honest healing. When a ninja died I said that the ninja deserved it. That didn't make the other healer (or the ninja) very happy.

I want to say that the ninja went from full to dead because he was standing in AoEs but really I wasn't watching health bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Axle_Stukov posted:

Use it at 5% then instead of 0.5%. LB1 does about 5% on average, and LB2 is around 10% on dungeon bosses. Stop Bladedancing at 0.5%.

Yeah, I hate when they save it to try to make it the final blow, and then end up wasting time by waiting too long. Hence why I shame them with the tank LB.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Scholars excel at healing without using their cast bar or mp. Lustrate, indom, fairy cooldowns, excog, tether, quickened aetherflow now to fuel it all. Just because a Scholar is casting DPS spells every available rotation doesn't mean they can't carry their weight healing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jinh posted:

When playing sch with another healer in the party are there unspoken rules about which healer does what? Sch has kinda weak aoe heals due to CDs on indomitability and emergency tactics so are you supposed to get the tank/ot and help out with indomitability and stuff when appropriate?

I never see healers discuss what role they're taking so I figure it must just be an obvious thing I don't see.

We're silently judging you, don't worry.

As SCH, the ideal is you know the fight and will shield the big attacks. As WHM, my spell usage (and vulgarity level) will depend on how much damage is absorbed, and how badly I'm outdamaging you.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
S C H O L A R S
A R E N ' T
S H I E L D
H E A L E R S
A N Y M O R E

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also a good whm will outdps a good sch any day, because of the wildly higher potency on their spells

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Definitely make sure to use Langreese+Emergency Tactics+Swiftcast+Indom+Succor while standing in an AST's earthly star at least once a fight though to assert total dominance.

weave some miasma 2s in there too obv

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is there somewhere that has a brief guide on SCH healing in 4.x? Both my AST and SCH are approximately the same level and while I understand that SCH is "better" (also bonus DPS class levels alongside) it just doesn't click with me like AST does. I feel like I'm burning through mana on my SCH.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

meanwhile the ast is falling asleep from chain casting malefics though every thirty seconds you get a chance to make someone else feel a little more rad

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there somewhere that has a brief guide on SCH healing in 4.x? Both my AST and SCH are approximately the same level and while I understand that SCH is "better" (also bonus DPS class levels alongside) it just doesn't click with me like AST does. I feel like I'm burning through mana on my SCH.

i don't know if anyone has put out a guide, because 4.x scholar is basically the same as 3.x scholar--it's the oGCD healer. try literally removing physick, adlo, and succour from your bar and healing something--you might be surprised at how far you get.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

Even though I'll almost certainly never see most of Savage anything for myself it is somehow heartening to hear this :shobon:

Watching the Elysium stream for a bit last night was pretty amazing. The fight looks wonderful and chaotic.

Fister is a better poster person than the people who constantly stalk him in this thread. :ssh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

A major thing is do not treat Adlo and Succor like Cure 2 and Medica. They are best used for mitigation. If you need healing you should be using Physick (for touching up), Whispering Dawn + Rouse (for general sustain), Lustrate/Indom (for burst healing). Most of your primary healing tools are resource/cooldown based, not MP based, and you should be using those for healing and saving your MP for DPS or shielding.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I fantasia'd from a lalafell into an au ra and I feel huge, help

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Evil Fluffy posted:

Watching the Elysium stream for a bit last night was pretty amazing. The fight looks wonderful and chaotic.

Fister is a better poster person than the people who constantly stalk him in this thread. :ssh:

Fister is a poo poo poster, but also a legitimately good guy.

Truly, a goon of contrasts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I fantasia'd from a lalafell into an au ra

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah he posts like a dense idiot a lot, but the people in this thread stalking him are actual dense idiots, so.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I wanted to have a figure, so sue me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wanted to have a figure, so sue me.

So you went with the race that put the waif in waifu?

Unless you became a goku, that's a lil better I guess.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So you went with the race that put the waif in waifu?

I was a miqo'te back in the day, and neither elves, sea orcs or human-rear end humans really hold much appeal for me, so yes.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
your avs make this argument incredibly confusing

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Die Sexmonster! posted:

We're silently judging you, don't worry.

As SCH, the ideal is you know the fight and will shield the big attacks. As WHM, my spell usage (and vulgarity level) will depend on how much damage is absorbed, and how badly I'm outdamaging you.

That works for me! The introduction of miasma II makes sch feel very similar to the way smn aoe felt in 3.x, its really gratifying although missing the oomph of deathflare. I will drat sure give you a run for your money!

E: it did take me a while to get used to using the ogcds for healing instead of healing with physick/adlo/succor and spamming energy drain all the time. It was good tip to say that ogcd heals are your bread and butter and GCDs are for shielding and applying broil directly to the forehead.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 19, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Fister is a poo poo poster, but also a legitimately good guy.

Truly, a goon of contrasts.

I have yelled at Fister for pages about his poo poo opinion on story mode 8 mans but Fister is cool and good imo.

On the topic of LB3's, the reason that I don't instantly jam on the lb3 button the second it becomes available is because people are fuckin trash and I've had 1 too many fights go south that could have been salvaged by a healer lb. So yes, I'm going to sit on that LB from 33-~10% to be reasonably sure we don't need to raise >3 people at once and every time some shitlord ranged dps blows it on their dumb satellite/meteor/whatever I just roll my eyes.

In dungeons, I usually lb the 2nd and last bosses. I would love it for more ranged dps to lb trash but they don't. They could probably be talked into it but that requires communication and I can't fit that in between my global cooldowns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jinh posted:

That works for me! The introduction of miasma II makes sch feel very similar to the way smn aoe felt in 3.x, its really gratifying although missing the oomph of deathflare. I will drat sure give you a run for your money!

I like Miasma 2 but I do have to say that in terms of healer AoE it sure has the least visual punch compared to Holy and Gravity which are insanely satisfying.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ImpAtom posted:

A major thing is do not treat Adlo and Succor like Cure 2 and Medica. They are best used for mitigation. If you need healing you should be using Physick (for touching up), Whispering Dawn + Rouse (for general sustain), Lustrate/Indom (for burst healing). Most of your primary healing tools are resource/cooldown based, not MP based, and you should be using those for healing and saving your MP for DPS or shielding.

Thanks, I'll fiddle a bit with this.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I like Miasma 2 but I do have to say that in terms of healer AoE it sure has the least visual punch compared to Holy and Gravity which are insanely satisfying.

Agreed, wish sch had a bit more flashiness

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can't believe that anyone thinks it's a bad thing someone fantasiaed off of lalafell

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

IDG why people keep saying mitigation ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiterpallasch posted:

your avs make this argument incredibly confusing

They also make it incredible and I will not have you besmirch the benevolent AV fairy that visited us that day.

Rascyc posted:

IDG why people keep saying mitigation ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think of succor as mitigation for specific aoes, but adlo is really more my "oh poo poo, the tank is dying and I don't have the aetherflow to keep him up through this" so I'll lustrate/adlo. Also adlo is for spreading, so if deployment tactics isn't up I'm pretty reticent to use it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Can't believe that anyone thinks it's a bad thing someone fantasiaed off of lalafell

I'm currently male miqote and considering fantasiaing TO lalafell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

... because using Succor and Aldo like Cure 2 and Medica is a big waste of MP and will run a Scholar down qucikly? I'm not clear what your point is here.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

... because using Succor and Aldo like Cure 2 and Medica is a big waste of MP and will run a Scholar down qucikly? I'm not clear what your point is here.
Because it's not an active thing you do anymore. Like succor is so poopy it's only on your bar for emergency tactics which completely drops the shield anyway. If you need an aoe shield you do largeese-adlo-deploy and that's pretty much it. Adlo still ~mitigates~ but you don't say "I'm casting adlo to mitigate" you say "I'm casting adlo cause physick is poo poo!"

Adlo tank heal is only ever a thing in dungeons anyway when bird brained tanks decide to bird through multiple pulls (no offense to birds)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

... because using Succor and Aldo like Cure 2 and Medica is a big waste of MP and will run a Scholar down qucikly

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I hold off on my melee LB3 because I have absolutely 0 faith in 90% of all of my parties. So I save it in case a healer LB3 can help salvage things. Like if I've seen 4 deaths and Susano is only at like 40% HP, I'm not blowing an LB3. We can still probably beat his enrage, but things are clearly spiraling and it'd be helpful to be able to raise everyone when they do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If melee hasn't popped an LB on the boss by 10% i will tank LB 99% of the time. I will usually precede this with hollering in party chat a few times to LB.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you desperately need shield mitigation, tag in a noct ast. their shields are actually worth using. scholar can't be the best at everything, and that's ok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Because it's not an active thing you do anymore. Like succor is so poopy it's only on your bar for emergency tactics which completely drops the shield anyway. If you need an aoe shield you do largeese-adlo-deploy and that's pretty much it. Adlo still ~mitigates~ but you don't say "I'm casting adlo to mitigate" you say "I'm casting adlo cause physick is poo poo!"

Adlo tank heal is only ever a thing in dungeons anyway when bird brained tanks decide to bird through multiple pulls (no offense to birds)

So you don't actually have a point, just wanted an excuse to complain about how much you dislike the current iteration of a spell, gotcha.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
he's saying that you shouldn't think of succor or adlo as mitigation, since they don't mitigate gently caress-all right now.

also, since scholar is kind of bad at mitigation right now, maybe don't characterize them as the mitigation healer in general

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

So you don't actually have a point, just wanted an excuse to complain about how much you dislike the current iteration of a spell, gotcha.
oh my god I touched the poop and the poop splashed back at me

No you're telling a guy who wants to learn how to play scholar that he should focus on mitigation when mitigation is a dead concept for scholars. The only mitigation decision you ever make is when to big adlo deploy and that's ever it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

he's saying that you shouldn't think of succor or adlo as mitigation, since they don't mitigate gently caress-all right now.

also, since scholar is kind of bad at mitigation right now, maybe don't characterize them as the mitigation healer in general

Okay? So if nobody ever uses Succor for anything, ever, why can I pull up a video of people clearing Neo Exdeath who are regularly using Succor? Or are they just Bad?

Maybe there exists a realm between "this spell has no use ever" and "this spell is OP as hell" and constantly trying to insist that spells are either not worth putting on your bar or must-use gives people weird skewed views of actual spell usefulness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Here's the new girl:

And an attempt at fashion: