Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chumbler posted:

Gust should team up with Crush 40.

Now I'm imagining the vocal version Nefertiti done by the guys who did All Hail Shadow and that just sounds like the best/worst thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Honestly the latest Atalier games are kind of bumming me out. They seem worse than the Dusk trilogy in every way that matters (for Atalier) - music, character designs, and charm. And the gameplay loop seems to be missing the special something that made the gathering and crafting worth it in the older games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

firis tries to have exploration but it's a bunch of endless empty fields and you can't fast travel until like 30 hours in because they wanted it to feel like an OPEN WORLD

You can fast travel as soon as you get to a camp, so five minutes after leaving the mine

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

You can fast travel as soon as you get to a camp, so five minutes after leaving the mine

I mean between areas, bro. When I got to the end area and did the test and then the immediate next task was WALK THERE AGAIN PLEASE it annoyed me cause it's just a way of wasting your time and adds nothing to the game

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Honestly the latest Atalier games are kind of bumming me out. They seem worse than the Dusk trilogy in every way that matters (for Atalier) - music, character designs, and charm. And the gameplay loop seems to be missing the special something that made the gathering and crafting worth it in the older games.

They're okay, especially around the crafting, but I do agree that they're missing the sheer spark of the Dusk games. Rather than bash my head against Firis some more maybe I should pick up Shallie Plus and actually check out the changes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

They're okay, especially around the crafting, but I do agree that they're missing the sheer spark of the Dusk games. Rather than bash my head against Firis some more maybe I should pick up Shallie Plus and actually check out the changes.

The changes are okay, not great. They make things feel a little more focused but they also kinda sideline Shallie and Shallie hard in a way which sort of sucks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ah! Shallies!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

The changes are okay, not great. They make things feel a little more focused but they also kinda sideline Shallie and Shallie hard in a way which sort of sucks.

They never amount to much in the original either. I'd be fine with Ayesha swooping in and taking their places as the main playable character.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I wish they'd port the Dusk trilogy to the ps4. It'd be nice to play the plus versions on a big screen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

I wish they'd port the Dusk trilogy to the ps4. It'd be nice to play the plus versions on a big screen

theyre too busy destroying their company with a nights of azure sequel

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

theyre too busy destroying their company with a nights of azure sequel

I thought the first sold decently (in Japan, at least?)

But yeah a PS4 (and likely PC) port of the Dusk trilogy would be amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It sold well enough here that they announced a western release for the sequel before it was even out in Japan. Uh which I think it still isn't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nights of azure is the first non-atelier thing from gust to sell halfway decently in ages. there's a reason it has two reps in musou all stars.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
plus it sounds like nights of azure 2 is actually looking to be a decent improvement on the first with snappier combat, so personally i'm excited

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it'll only be a decent improvement if the girls kiss

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway if they released dusk on pc i would buy those games very fast

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have a trip report for Children of the Zodiarcs?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

it'll only be a decent improvement if the girls kiss

Well item 1 on the improvements trailer was going from pretty girl x pretty girl to pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl, so there's a chance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Well item 1 on the improvements trailer was going from pretty girl x pretty girl to pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl x pretty girl, so there's a chance.

That was what the first one billed itself on too.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is it monogamous girl kissing or is it haremshit?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

harems of girls are good imo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
That's what people with commitment problems say.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

Seems to be the persona route where you only romance one in the end.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Maybe the MC isn't afraid of commitment, she's just polyamorous

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Anyone have a trip report for Children of the Zodiarcs?

Seems to pretty decent 4 missions in.

The combination of dice and cards (with dice and cards basically being your character equipment) for actions is rather neat.

Story seems pretty generic but not offensive so far and the characters are decently charming.

EDIT: \/ it's on PC. Not sure about other platforms.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 19, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Holy poo poo, it's out?!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

First four missions, the combat is directional influence so back attacks are absolute king. Unless I'm missing something, the Curse shard cards seem worse than just actual attack/heal items.

Blitz seems absurd at a basic level since you can infinite attack with decent luck.

Speed of combat seems like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, as a gauge.

The maps are really small so far, and I wonder if the enemy deployment is going to be small to reduce the same problem that Capcom x Namco had, which was infinite enemy turn length.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As an enlightened boardgame wonk:

dice-pools: aieee
deck-building: yay
both at once: i'm a bit worried that the difficulty level will be reduced to 'you just got owned through no fault of your own'

Probably I'll pick it up though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tired Moritz posted:

Harem which is the main disappointment for me

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The dice thing seems kinda just replacing the rng you get from random damage and skill activation. There's an auto roll dice option to skip the tedium of rolling them yourself.

It's way more of a tactics rpg than a board game hybrid.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Cold Steel 1 will be launching on PC on August 2. The DSFix guy is involved and wrote up a bit about it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Play Trails of Cold Steel, and you too can hang out with these three great girls

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

HGH posted:

Cold Steel 1 will be launching on PC on August 2. The DSFix guy is involved and wrote up a bit about it.

lol at the part where he goes "80 fps? feh. unacceptable. after various optimizations i got it up to roughly 280"

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Stexils posted:

lol at the part where he goes "80 fps? feh. unacceptable. after various optimizations i got it up to roughly 280"

To be fair, he is talking about 80 FPS on a relatively-recent computer, which for a PS3 port of CS's graphical quality is pretty terrible performance.

Not to diminish his accomplishments, because converting the rendering engine to DX11 is pretty baller.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

To be fair, he is talking about 80 FPS on a relatively-recent computer, which for a PS3 port of CS's graphical quality is pretty terrible performance.

Not to diminish his accomplishments, because converting the rendering engine to DX11 is pretty baller.

no in context it totally makes sense and is valid, its just a funny mental image in isolation

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Stexils posted:

no in context it totally makes sense and is valid, its just a funny mental image in isolation

Now I'm imagining Durante seeing the 80FPS result, shaking his head, then blasting the Power Rangers Turbo theme and getting to work

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Stexils posted:

I found the claim that the original ran at 30fps rather amusing, too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
petition to patch back in the emma sunglasses as a pc-exclusive graphical feature

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Colonel posted:

petition to patch back in the emma sunglasses as a pc-exclusive graphical feature

agreed but only in scenes where shes being stand offish about her ~secrets~

so most of her CS1 scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone doing Children of Zodiark, you feel like you need to grind on skirmishes? The damage seems to escalate a lot by only chapter 7-8. I'm losing like most of my health off one attack at times.