Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Tank LBs are really funny and make me laugh 100% of the time.

I laugh double hard when it's at a completely inappropriate time instead of a joke at 3%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Technically scholar shields are ablation, not mitigation.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reiterpallasch posted:

S C H O L A R S
A R E N ' T
S H I E L D
H E A L E R S
A N Y M O R E

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
we got a maoi statue for the please calm down house! not only does it keep a watchful eye on our neighbours, it has also enabled roof access

eventually even i managed to get up there, long after everyone else!

also congratulations to xaph irongauntlet for being first on the roof and being decorated with the official PCD title of "best at jumps"

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Not sure if someone posted a video of it yet, but Omega V4S's transition, man. This poo poo is hype.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdventurousSmoggyPorcupineKreygasm?tt_medium=clips_embed&tt_content=player_title

So do you think it will continue with FFV and go into the other Superbosses like that Void Necromancer from the remakes, go into other FF game villains in general or just the games that Omega appeared in?

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 19, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

Can't believe that anyone thinks it's a bad thing someone fantasiaed off of lalafell

I'm a newbie, and I keep trying to make a decent-looking football for an alt or retainer. It just doesn't work.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Scholars are oGCD Healers who don't in practice have shields or ways to mitigate damage now that we no longer have SuperVirus.

We're really great as oGCD Healers though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Okay? So if nobody ever uses Succor for anything, ever, why can I pull up a video of people clearing Neo Exdeath who are regularly using Succor? Or are they just Bad?

Maybe there exists a realm between "this spell has no use ever" and "this spell is OP as hell" and constantly trying to insist that spells are either not worth putting on your bar or must-use gives people weird skewed views of actual spell usefulness?

okay. let's actually unpack this lunacy, since this might be instructive for new healers

1) there is basically no such thing as a useless button on a healer, philosophically. just because a button is undertuned or bad doesn't mean it's useless. i said to remove succour from that one guy's bar not as general advice, but as a one-time learning experience, and i'm pretty sure that anyone who wasn't a blithering idiot would have read it that way.

1.5) people are specifically shifting away from other comps to whm/ast right now in NED, specifically because effective mitigation is so critical for consistency right now

1.55) perhaps people doing content at like 25 ilvls below intention are not the best people for someone literally asking how to sch to emulate

2) literally nothing about scholars using succour in ned implies that they're the "mitigation healer" holy gently caress. you had to swiftcast a succour in a particular place to clear a8s undergeared too! that doesn't make them the shield healer anymore than paladin was the invincibility tank

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Okay? So if nobody ever uses Succor for anything, ever, why can I pull up a video of people clearing Neo Exdeath who are regularly using Succor? Or are they just Bad?

No, you can't, because the only clear in the world with a video right now used WHM/AST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crTIWWbr8nY

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7mSS9XD1zpKRTg5cmkyeG40dEU/view

the math sheet 2

note, that it's a base effectiveness centered around general effective damage
opener phases / bard presence will skew it

Looks like maybe base crit chance is missing.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
q: i'm having trouble figuring out how to play mnk, i know ninja but the rotation seems different

a: well, because monks are the mantra dps...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

King Cohort posted:

No, you can't, because the only clear in the world with a video right now used WHM/AST.

haha holy moly i didn't even bother to check

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:stare:

th-thanks all

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

King Cohort posted:

World third is a WHM/SCH at least, but yeah no video. There's Xenos stream which is running AST/SCH which I assume is what he's referencing but eh they're learning

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

King Cohort posted:

Wow no sam, what a bunch of bads

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wow no sam, what a bunch of bads

But you see, Samurai is the Third Eye DPS, therefore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Cohort posted:

You're right, sorry, I meant doing the fight. v:shobon:v I got annoyed and mistyped in a rush, sorry.

Reiterpallasch posted:

okay. let's actually unpack this lunacy, since this might be instructive for new healers

1) there is basically no such thing as a useless button on a healer, philosophically. just because a button is undertuned or bad doesn't mean it's useless. i said to remove succour from that one guy's bar not as general advice, but as a one-time learning experience, and i'm pretty sure that anyone who wasn't a blithering idiot would have read it that way.

1.5) people are specifically shifting away from other comps to whm/ast right now in NED, specifically because effective mitigation is so critical for consistency right now

1.55) perhaps people doing content at like 25 ilvls below intention are not the best people for someone literally asking how to sch to emulate

2) literally nothing about scholars using succour in ned implies that they're the "mitigation healer" holy gently caress. you had to swiftcast a succour in a particular place to clear a8s undergeared too! that doesn't make them the shield healer anymore than paladin was the invincibility tank

You, meanwhile, are just generally being an rear end in a top hat who is calling people a blithering idiot and a lunatic over a video game and need to chill the hell out.

This thread is like 90% chill and then 10% people freaking the gently caress out at people and it's really annoying. I'm not blameless here (as the avatars can show) but it's really bizarre how insanely quickly things change from "people being chill" to freaking out at Fister Robo or whatever. If I'm wrong, fine, I'm wrong, but "being wrong about a video game" isn't something that warrents that kind of response.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, I hate when they save it to try to make it the final blow, and then end up wasting time by waiting too long. Hence why I shame them with the tank LB.

Make a macro that does
code:
/p Use it or lose it DPS. Tank LB in 10 seconds... <wait.1> 
/p 9... <wait.1>
etc

and hit it every time the bar fills.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
1. Au Ra are cute and good.

2. If you're going to make a potato, you should give them the ugliest, sleaziest-looking facial hair because it makes people uncomfortable.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gruckles posted:

Make a macro that does
code:
/p 9... <wait.1>
etc

So you fire the tank LB at about 8 or 7, right? :smuggo:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zerilan posted:

I'm currently male miqote and considering fantasiaing TO lalafell.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

1. Au Ra are cute and good.

2. If you're going to make a potato, you should give them the ugliest, sleaziest-looking facial hair because it makes people uncomfortable.

Is that an option for a lady tater

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
1a) if my posting sincerely offended you, i'm sorry and i will try to tone it down relative to you in the future. this thread has a super weird posting culture which tends to encourage hyper escalation (thanks, belzac!) but it's probably fair that not everyone posting in here right now enjoys that

1b) from my perspective though, this went from funny-shitposting to poo poo-shitposting when you called out rascyc randomly

1c) succour's still baaaaaaaad

1d) i just realized it's so bad i don't even know whether it's spelled succour or succor in the actual game

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i just heal with physic and excog in between refreshing my dots and forgetting i slotted esuna

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

All I know is it's VERY alarming to see the sleepy Raichu poster get mad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

Is that an option for a lady tater

You only play a lady tater if you want people to be creepy at you.

Reiterpallasch posted:

1a) if my posting sincerely offended you, i'm sorry and i will try to tone it down relative to you in the future. this thread has a super weird posting culture which tends to encourage hyper escalation (thanks, belzac!) but it's probably fair that not everyone posting in here right now enjoys that

1b) from my perspective though, this went from funny-shitposting to poo poo-shitposting when you called out rascyc randomly though

1c) succour's still baaaaaaaad

1d) i just realized it's so bad i don't even know whether it's spelled succour or succor in the actual game

It's fine. It's hard to read tone on a message board and if you didn't intend it that way then I apologize for taking it too seriously. Especially on SA it's really hard to tell when the line crosses. (I also don't think I called anyone out randomly since I was just responding to people but if it read that way then I also apologize.)

Succor is still bad and I am not arguing against that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Imo the ast toolbox is much larger than SCH, the only thing SCH does better is heal while not pressing healing buttons. Honestly ast feels a lot more like a feature complete class than SCH does.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the succor zone

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Generally I like to hold onto LB3 until a boss is around 15%, by that point it's pretty clear whether we'll need it for Healer LB3 to save us from the purgatory of doing the fight again. If we're at 15% and I have not hit that button it's because I'm dead, the boss is doing a move that will make the LB wasted, or we might need it (in which case I'll hit it at 10%.)
Only time I'll burn it before then is with bosses that have gimmicks that boost your LB gauge, like the last boss in Sohr Kai or Halicarnassus.

There's also a few cool thresholds where you can skip some end boss phases in the dungeons if you do your LB's right, the main ones I know like the back of my hand are:

Last Boss of Ruby tide, if she's <20% when she summons the adds to go into her third Thick Fog phase, ignore the adds and LB2 her, that combined with your other DPS will kill her before she wastes a minute of your time.
Last boss of Bardam's Mettle: Melee LB2 at 16-17% and you'll skip the Wings phase of the fight (it transitions at 13% after casting Unbound Winds once more. Timing's a bit tight here, if the LB goes off as it jumps that's a wasted LB.)

Notably you can't skip the last boss of the Ala Mhigo's final phase. He transitions super-quick at 13% and LB2 only does 8% of his health.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

the succor zone

yesssssss

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Am I crazy, or is Miasma 2 around 3x better than it used to be? It seems like it's even worth spamming on 3+ mobs, if you can afford the mp.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

Imo the ast toolbox is much larger than SCH, the only thing SCH does better is heal while not pressing healing buttons. Honestly ast feels a lot more like a feature complete class than SCH does.

yeah, right now the reason to play scholar is because you enjoy the scholar ethos. it's competitive with ast just on the numbers (chain strat is dumb, quickened aetherflow is super good) and its comparative advantage is still probably being able to recover from disasters better than noct ast can. but noct ast has some really important comparative advantages too, and with the card rework it's also much more straightforward to play.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

TheRagamuffin posted:

Am I crazy, or is Miasma 2 around 3x better than it used to be? It seems like it's even worth spamming on 3+ mobs, if you can afford the mp.

It's pretty much a new ability, and not really comparable to old Miasma 2 except in animation.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Minrad posted:

despite being only weeks behind, PBC is once again the premier goon FC on Excalibur

I have tried to get one of those into Tuya's hands, but alas, her fury is terrible and so TPT does not and will not have a Moai stone head in the garden. =(

Maybe once we get to Kugane! =D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

They changed it from (off the top of my head so exact number may be wrong) Potency 20 + a 10 potency DoT + debuffs to 100 potency + 25 potency but no debuffs. It's basically a different ability entirely except the animation and name.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They essentially combined blizzard II and old miasma II and ripped out the debuffs. I haven't played scholar with it, but from my understanding miasma II is now very cool and good vs before where it was only good for instant disease or if there were 5+ mobs.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gruckles posted:

Make a macro that does
code:
/p 9... <wait.1>
etc

Quoting this to steal when I get home for heal lb, I'm like crying laughing about it

OK so I mostly run dungeons, what's your normal work flow in a giant strong man pull? My buddy in game plays a paladin and does megapulls every time.

I would adlo prepull, apply dots bane and slam m2 until his health hits half. Lustrate adlo then Lustrate again if needed and go back to dpsing. Is there a better thing I could be doing to make it so I wont have to heal as much? Can fey union take over for me at 70 on one of the giant pulls before last boss?

I'm also, gasp, a filthy selene siccer. Do you just blow her 4th ability right when dps start hitting every time? I'd like to work on putting her on Obey after I get the main stuff down.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
incidentally, the new quickened aetherflow implementation is actually kind of a significant buff to dissipation, which is really funny once you think about the idea of dropping 9 lustrates in like 15 seconds

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SilverSupernova posted:

Not sure if someone posted a video of it yet, but Omega V4S's transition, man. This poo poo is hype.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdventurousSmoggyPorcupineKreygasm?tt_medium=clips_embed&tt_content=player_title

So do you think it will continue with FFV and go into the other Superbosses like that Void Necromancer from the remakes, go into other FF game villains in general or just the games that Omega appeared in?

3 weeks. Then I shall be in a static and I shall suffer. That is way too hype for me to never experience. Hot drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Reiterpallasch posted:

incidentally, the new quickened aetherflow implementation is actually kind of a significant buff to dissipation, which is really funny once you think about the idea of dropping 9 lustrates in like 15 seconds

:aaaaa: