Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

FredMSloniker posted:

If I were to make a list of Game Design Commandments, one of them would be 'thou shalt not include an unfun element in your game and think a joke about how unfun it is will somehow make it fun'. If you want to make a joke about how sewer levels suck, use it in, for instance, the text explaining why you can't open a manhole cover.

Or make a good sewer level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Or make a good sewer level.

If you think you've accomplished that, making the joke is only going to make players think less of your accomplishment.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Two words: poop jokes.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Has a sewer level ever been fun? I'm struggling to think of any game with a sewer level I would praise.

The only good thing I can think of right now is, "I guess Eternal Sonata's sewer was at least kinda pretty?" :shrug:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rainuwastaken posted:

Has a sewer level ever been fun? I'm struggling to think of any game with a sewer level I would praise.

The only good thing I can think of right now is, "I guess Eternal Sonata's sewer was at least kinda pretty?" :shrug:

Turtles in Time Sewer Surfin was alright.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Games which take place entirely in Sewers tend to have fun Sewer Levels if they are in of themselves fun games?

But I don't know of any of those off the top of my head either.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The only two sewer levels I can immediately recall from games I've played are in Xenogears and Shadows of the Empire. What other games have sewer levels?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Route Kanal is Half Life 2's sewer level, and it's genuinely not bad. They do a good job keeping the tunnels from getting too samey, and the encounters have a bit of variety even though you only have the pistol for most of it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Mario games have those underground levels that start with Mario going down a sewer pipe. Technically sewer levels :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rainuwastaken posted:

The Depths in Dark Souls is pretty fine

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I don't have horrible memories of the actual sewers in ff12. Some of the other underground areas however...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rainuwastaken posted:

The one in the Last of Us was both pretty and intense.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

To top it all off, in New Game+ mode they give you an item that lets you replace Serge with any other character in battle, which opens up a lot of potential party combinations - but of course you're so powerful at this point that everything dies in one hit anyway. I wish Chrono Cross had a New Game- mode that just gave you that item, the item that speeds up battle animations, and your roster of collected characters, but still had you start at level 1 with basic gear. It'd fix at least one of the game's major issues.

I wish they had just made a better game in general. Chrono Trigger is pretty much the only "traditional" JRPG I can play, because it is short, not grindy, and has enough interesting elements to the combat to make it fun to play. Also the story and characters are top-notch, which is easy when you only have seven characters and one of them is optional. Chrono Cross took all of the interesting and fun things about Chrono Trigger and threw them away to make a barely more than generic JRPG with way too many uninteresting characters who have, at best, zero influence on the plot. The story is too long and it meanders around kind of smelling its own farts, failing to be interesting or concise. And the only new thing it brings to the table for the JRPG genre is the battlefield color system, which is frankly kind of poo poo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

iospace posted:

Sliiiiiiightly off topic, what TDI LP should I read while waiting on updates for this one? I did the Nier and Drakengard 1 ones, so recommendations would be nice.

Chrono Cross. I'll make it real easy for you to decide which to read next. One word: Poshul. https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2004/

Poshul: "Sergeipoo!? A p-p-prethent!? F-F-For I!? How'd you know? Hmm... To acthept, or not to acthept? AHEM! Me acthept your prethent and Me shall help you! Me will do anything you want. Me will be honored to be by your thide!"
Poshul: "Me will use my Pretty-Miracle-Power-X! Me will do it, Sergeipoo!"

TDI: Honest to god, I did not change an iota of that dialogue...

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Sonic Spinball.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

But you see we have this really clever algorithm where we can give people accents on the fly, so we don't have to worry about new dialogue for all 1000 characters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuT yA sEE we hAve tHiS REalLy cleVeR ALgOrItHM wHEre WE caN gIvE PEopLe aCcenTS ON The fly, so wE doN't HavE to WoRRy aBout neW DIaLOgUE FoR aLl 1000 chAraCtERs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

Chrono Cross. I'll make it real easy for you to decide which to read next. One word: Poshul. https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2004/

Poshul: "Sergeipoo!? A p-p-prethent!? F-F-For I!? How'd you know? Hmm... To acthept, or not to acthept? AHEM! Me acthept your prethent and Me shall help you! Me will do anything you want. Me will be honored to be by your thide!"
Poshul: "Me will use my Pretty-Miracle-Power-X! Me will do it, Sergeipoo!"

TDI: Honest to god, I did not change an iota of that dialogue...

I started reading the Chrono Cross LP because I'd never played the game (I was under the false impression it was like Trigger, but more characters) and then... I didn't last much longer after that. :smith:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Here's that video showing off a bunch of battle animations that I said I'd do about 40 updates ago. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFohmeU58VY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

SuperStar Saga contains the only fun sewer level in existence.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

Sewer Shark?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That Large Sword + Combat Bracer animation :allears:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

megane posted:

That Large Sword + Combat Bracer animation :allears:

The sword misses the bracer about 50% of the time. Reportedly it was 100% to hit originally, but when they showed it to Yoko Taro he said they should give it a miss chance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tarezax posted:

The sword misses the bracer about 50% of the time. Reportedly it was 100% to hit originally, but when they showed it to Yoko Taro he said they should give it a miss chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFohmeU58VY&t=450s

Link to the timestamp.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Tarezax posted:

I've only seen it completely miss when out of combat. When I did some trials, so long as I had a crosshair on an enemy, even not locked-on, it would hit.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

Here's that video showing off a bunch of battle animations that I said I'd do about 40 updates ago. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFohmeU58VY

Wow, I had never realized how awesome those are. I knew they were cool, but not how much. Gauntlet baseball is great.

I also like how she's bouncing on her feet when she has the gauntlets equipped.

Oh, and the large sword in light weapon slot animations seem like they have serious weight to them with the animations at the end. It's the sort of thing you will never notice in game because you will always either attack again or move and either interrupts the animation.

There's some other stuff you can do with dodging out of moves, like the large sword up move where the blade keeps moving without you, but obviously you can't get everything.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
For all of 2B's usual seriousness, something about her body language in some of these animations seems awfully pleased with herself - almost smug. Can't really put my finger on it, just the impression I got. Paints an amusing mental picture, though!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In some ways she almost fights like she's dancing.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Tunicate posted:

But you see we have this really clever algorithm where we can give people accents on the fly, so we don't have to worry about new dialogue for all 1000 characters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuT yA sEE we hAve tHiS REalLy cleVeR ALgOrItHM wHEre WE caN gIvE PEopLe aCcenTS ON The fly, so wE doN't HavE to WoRRy aBout neW DIaLOgUE FoR aLl 1000 chAraCtERs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'll take a klever kharakter akkent algorithm over Ultimacia's weird K fetish in FF8

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Geemer posted:

I started reading the Chrono Cross LP because I'd never played the game (I was under the false impression it was like Trigger, but more characters) and then... I didn't last much longer after that. :smith:

I was actually pretty on-board with Chrono Cross's story, excess of playable characters aside, and then it just fell apart after Serge opens that door in Chronopolis.

By contrast, some of Xenogears' best scenes happened after it got out of the Disc 2 narration zone, including the Zeboim sidequest.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

vdate posted:

For all of 2B's usual seriousness, something about her body language in some of these animations seems awfully pleased with herself - almost smug. Can't really put my finger on it, just the impression I got. Paints an amusing mental picture, though!

It's probably the flourishes she does after weapon combos and while putting away her stuff. And they're more for the players benefit then anything, since you need to stop pressing buttons or moving to see them. During normal gameplay you'll probably never see half these animations cause whenever you're done combat you're moving on to the next objective.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've never seen most of those sheathing animations since the moment combat finishes I hit sprint to move on.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is just the stuff you can do out of combat too, there's still stuff like counterattack animations (attack after a perfect dodge, both heavy and light attack), some of the heavy charges have different animations if you don't wiff (like the spear going into a huge flurry of strikes). Half the joy of an A runthrough is finding all of the fun poo poo you can do in combat.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

This is just the stuff you can do out of combat too, there's still stuff like counterattack animations (attack after a perfect dodge, both heavy and light attack), some of the heavy charges have different animations if you don't wiff (like the spear going into a huge flurry of strikes). Half the joy of an A runthrough is finding all of the fun poo poo you can do in combat.

Also, starting a charge and then letting go before it completes gets you a different attack and attacking while dodging will cause 2B to leap(instead of dash) and throw her weapon under her.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

vdate posted:

Which fits perfectly since even in the first 30 minutes of the game, she was losing control over her emotions. It was her that was startled when the desert robots starting talking, not 9S. The Terminator, she isn't.

She even cares enough to pet her pod.

Solitair posted:

I was actually pretty on-board with Chrono Cross's story, excess of playable characters aside, and then it just fell apart after Serge opens that door in Chronopolis.

By contrast, some of Xenogears' best scenes happened after it got out of the Disc 2 narration zone, including the Zeboim sidequest.

TDI writing Serge's reactions to Chrono Cross's clusterfuck of info dumps was my favorite part of any Let's Play. Everyone here better have read that.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 20, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The spear in ground heavy sword combo is probably my favourite after Homerun Gauntlet.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I like 2B's stutter step when equipped with the gauntlets. Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee! Also reminds me a bit of Chie's combat idle animation from Persona 4.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

iospace posted:

Sliiiiiiightly off topic, what TDI LP should I read while waiting on updates for this one? I did the Nier and Drakengard 1 ones, so recommendations would be nice.

Might seem odd, but I'd genuinely recommend Drakengard 2 for the Caim and Red stuff. That game does a lot of stupid stuff, but it does pretty quality work with Caim and Angeles. Since you've read Drakengard 1, I think it's worth a look.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I had a lot of fun reading through the Drakengard 2 LP, if only to see how goddamn terrible the main character was. It feels like they wanted to do a parody of that sleeps-in-too-long "What's a Sword?" type RPG hero, but forgot the parody bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sage Grimm posted:

The spear in ground heavy sword combo is probably my favourite after Homerun Gauntlet.

Agreed, those are both amazing. "Wait, did 2B just bat a gauntlet through a bunch of machines? Yes, yes she did."

The spins of the long weapons around the neck and back to floating on her back are also really well done. Makes me wish there was a nunchuku class.

• Locked thread