Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PneumonicBook posted:

To affect change you need to work within the accepted framework. The far lefts 'ban them all forever' is a non starter. There are legitimate effective ways the country could start handling it's gun problem but when both sides are too busy screaming at each other like it's Facebook it will never happen.

I suppose now with how partisan all politics are we've probably lost that chance, nationally at least. Local laws can only do so much when you've got red states sitting next to blue states.
Yeah, when there's 90% approval (I might be exaggerating but only by about five percent) among all gun owners for background checks there sure is nothing we can do, yep, nothing at all.

The "accepted framework" is one side has NRA lobbying money and the other side doesn't have jack and poo poo. Who cares what the NRA considers "acceptable"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

botany posted:

"shooting guns" being a hobby is pretty loving ridiculous to most normal people, hth

Honestly it really depends on which part of the US you're talking about. SoCal, not so much. Deer-swarmed Appalachian mountains? Sure, people hunt, they shoot skeet, firing ranges that sort of thing. It's all relative and deer are delicious.

e- On a worldwide stage yes, it's different, I know.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 19, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Shooting is a hobby. Buying things isn't. Reading is a hobby, hoarding dead trees is not.

What if the dead trees are used for making different kinds of smoked meat.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/khennessey/status/887773197642420228

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think if we passed a law that required people to wear an anime shirt when purchasing guns the problem would just sort itself out in a generation or so

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reverand maynard posted:

I think if we passed a law that required people to wear an anime shirt when purchasing guns the problem would just sort itself out in a generation or so

agreed, but sex

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Reverand maynard posted:

Hi, I'm Fart City, and I'm running on a platform for a national anime registry.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Personally I think that "preschoolers" should be the new unit of ammo capacity.

Oh come on, don't be a biased liberal.

They were grade schoolers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There was one flaw in this plan: he offered to play golf [i]with[i] him. :v:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/USCBO/status/887773703098040321

I'm sure this report will be fantastic news for Republicans.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

Oh come on, don't be a biased liberal.

They were grade schoolers.

Regardless, they had it coming.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

There was one flaw in this plan: he offered to play golf with him. :v:

But the president would never sully his hands playing golf when there is work of state to be done. He'll be too busy!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Caros posted:

But the president would never sully his hands playing golf when there is work of state to be done. He'll be too busy!

Next I'll be suggesting that he has time to watch TV!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Lightning Lord posted:

You know you seem pretty angry at the US medical system. Have you ever, no joke, looked into what it would take for you to be able to work in Canada? Or are you staying put because America needs doctors that actually care like you?

You probably won't see this since I've been asleep for the six-plus hours since I posted, but no, I haven't. I am extremely angry at the US medical system, but the answer is "A little from Column A, a little from Column B." I have too many ties not only to the US, but to the greater Philadelphia area specifically, to consider picking up and moving to another country. I do have a good job with good benefits and a good salary, but provided I could become EM-certified in Canada I'd probably be able to score a similar position (nocturnists tend to be in high demand); my wife, on the other hand, is tenure-track faculty in higher education, and that is a hell of a lot harder to obtain. My family is close -- but not too close! -- and I have close friends along the Eastern US within easy driving distance as well. Meanwhile, I feel like the FYGMs of US medicine have such a loud voice that people who really want to fix the system need to stick around to help make it happen.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Fart City posted:

Hi, I'm Fart City, and I'm running on a platform for a national anime registry.
Oh poo poo, the President Fart City demanded all of the state voter records under obviously false pretenses, and he's going to find out who voted for Dubs instead of Subs. I'm sure that data won't be used against me, rig-

* the blade of a katana erupts from my chest *

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

boner confessor posted:

and how do you know magic the gathering cards aren't also sold under the premise that they will be useful to confuse the dusky hordes who appear on your doorstep when rahowa comes, hm?

We need to stop the wave of violent offenders that are banishing innocent citizens to the Shadow Realm

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
white motorists speed up and lock their doors when passing through the Shadow Realm, between MLK drive and the stadium

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cochise posted:

Regardless, they had it coming.

Sometimes the price of freedom for my hobby is a dozen dead kids.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it legit hurts my brain whenever i hear some repub pol say the dems just rammed obamacare through without input from them. bitch all the lovely parts were concessions to you loving morons.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

it legit hurts my brain whenever i hear some repub pol say the dems just rammed obamacare through without input from them. bitch all the lovely parts were concessions to you loving morons.

Rammed through in a year with only 140 amendments, what's wrong with the Dems jeeze

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm a leftist who agrees with gun control but this rhetoric is loving insufferable fyi, and will never lead to any worthwhile discussion in this country.
My dad grew up with guns, was hunting rabbit by age 12. When his parents passed, his inheritance was a pretty nice pickup truck and a whole mess of guns. I grew up with guns, too, obviously.

One day, years ago, one of his guns went missing, and was thankfully found. The next day he sold all the guns he had, some 30 or so, some quite nice. He bought a boat with the money. We lived in a desert at the time, and he said he'd rather have a boat that he'd never use than a lethal weapon he no longer felt properly secure. This is because he is a responsible person.

That language is precisely how he talks about guns now. It lead to worthwhile discussion, with me, with some of his relatives, with some of his old army buddies and work friends.

I don't find that rhetoric insufferable. I find it honest and essential.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My God. The Republicans managed to unite 87% of Americans on an issue. That is impressive! Too bad it's against them.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, when there's 90% approval (I might be exaggerating but only by about five percent) among all gun owners for background checks there sure is nothing we can do, yep, nothing at all.

The "accepted framework" is one side has NRA lobbying money and the other side doesn't have jack and poo poo. Who cares what the NRA considers "acceptable"?

Thanks for proving my point that you evidently missed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm a leftist who agrees with gun control but this rhetoric is loving insufferable fyi, and will never lead to any worthwhile discussion in this country.

it's actually a literally undefeatable argument.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Here is a timeline that shows how quickly the PPACA got rammed through/shoved down our throats/other hideous sexual phrasing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

There Bias Two posted:

Electric and acoustic have drastically different sounds, so I wouldn't consider them redundant. If I had 7 on the other hand...

I have 8 guitars, 4 of which I take on the road with me.

I only have the 1 gun, tho

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Why isn't the media making a big deal of this meeting with Trump, Putin, and Putin's translator? Clearly there was something Trump discussed he wanted absolutely no Americans to know about, since he didn't even bring his own translator.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If leftists want more Republicans to vote, keep talking about gun control.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Petr posted:

Why isn't the media making a big deal of this meeting with Trump, Putin, and Putin's translator? Clearly there was something Trump discussed he wanted absolutely no Americans to know about, since he didn't even bring his own translator.

It was a dinner where you were only allowed to bring one translator, and Trump's spoke Japanese because he was seated next to Abe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Petr posted:

Nothing to discuss, there's no audio and no basis to speculate on what was discussed, apart from "corrupt as gently caress treason president lol".

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Randbrick posted:

This is because he is a responsible person.

So responsible he couldn't keep tabs on his guns evidently. Kudos to him for realizing that and getting rid of them I suppose.

Randbrick posted:

That language is precisely how he talks about guns now.

So that we're clear, are you saying he uses the same language in the post I originally quoted or similar language to what you posted? One starts a conversation, one ends a conversation, which was my point.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's actually a literally undefeatable argument.

How much gun control has come from that argument?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Petr posted:

they did make a big deal of it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we're never getting any gun control dude.

sandy hook was the end of the debate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Groovelord Neato posted:

Much in the way kids read about Triangle Shirtwaist being a clusterfuck due to barred doors and no fire escapes, I hope that one day they'll read about Sandy Hook and wonder why people were craven enough to cling to hobby items over children.

But yes, it was a big wakeup call to see people resort to calling it a CoIn Op rather than face the fact that maybe guns is bad when you dont have a robust psychological services net.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Groovelord Neato posted:

While I don't disagree, if the party thought this was true you'd assume they'd drop all talk of gun control from the platform.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Remember that judge who ruled that the feds couldn't interpret the travel ban exception to only extremely close family, and ruled that aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc are also covered? The ruling which Sessions bitched about, vowing a quick appeal?

The supreme court saw that appeal today, shrugged and said "nah, we're fine with that, see you in court in a couple months"

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/supreme-court-allows-broader-family-exceptions-trump-travel-ban-n784466

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FilthyImp posted:

Much in the way kids read about Triangle Shirtwaist being a clusterfuck due to barred doors and no fire escapes, I hope that one day they'll read about Sandy Hook and wonder why people were craven enough to cling to hobby items over children.

Once people stepped over the bodies of dead 4 year olds and still did nothing to try to address gun violence.... yeah, it's a dead issue.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Even Obama liked to shoot skeet. Shooting guns is a perfectly normal hobby and only weird goons think differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have 8 guitars, 4 of which I take on the road with me.

I only have the 1 gun, tho

Do you have a guitar with a Bigsby tremolo?

• Locked thread