Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Onmi posted:

So, Ant-Man was the traitor because Hydra got Cassie. Turns out Ulysses vision of the Hulk was what appears to be ULTIMATE Banner (He speaks with the ultimate universe font) beating up Robo-avengers.

Between this and Spider-Men 2 I have no loving idea what Marvel is doing with the 616/Ultimate merger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This issue also features my favorite moment ever. Hydra-Cap confirms that AI Tony is an AI and a hologram. And then attempts to decapitate him with his shield. It's presented in a super dramatic way that would probably be super dramatic if it were Tony Stark, not an AI Hologram. I just... I'm so happy that they know they wanted Tony to be alive for Secret Empire, he's so blatantly been written as needing to be here for it, and they couldn't keep internally consistent about it for long enough to get from CWII to Secret Empire.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Box wine posted:

Ultimates was fun and awesome as always, Maker gonna make.

Definitely. America travelling to Cyclops' PUNCHFORCE dimension was a delight in a box of delights.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also I'm 99% sure they're gearing up to turn Doom back into Doom from Ironman. How sure? Well they just had Riri crown herself the queen of Latveria. So... it's a fair guess that doom's going to do something.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Sentinel Red posted:

Definitely. America travelling to Cyclops' PUNCHFORCE dimension was a delight in a box of delights.

Door kicker Galactus, bobblehead Ego, Maker just making, the not surprising but very fun end.

Only downside is there's no solicitations past next issue. Will be sad if it's fully canceled and not just on a short hiatus for a few months.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Onmi posted:

This issue also features my favorite moment ever. Hydra-Cap confirms that AI Tony is an AI and a hologram. And then attempts to decapitate him with his shield. It's presented in a super dramatic way that would probably be super dramatic if it were Tony Stark, not an AI Hologram. I just... I'm so happy that they know they wanted Tony to be alive for Secret Empire, he's so blatantly been written as needing to be here for it, and they couldn't keep internally consistent about it for long enough to get from CWII to Secret Empire.
To be totally fair, they make a great big point of saying that the AI is imbued with Tony's actual consciousness and so it "is" Tony in any way that counts.

I suppose whether that explanation works for you or not depends on whether you believe that comic book artificial intelligences A) can be fully-rounded people and B) that they can hold the full breadths of an actual human being's identity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

Also I'm 99% sure they're gearing up to turn Doom back into Doom from Ironman. How sure? Well they just had Riri crown herself the queen of Latveria. So... it's a fair guess that doom's going to do something.

it's fine if he isn't iron man so long as he's not a bad guy again. infamous iron man has been pretty good and it'd be lame if they threw it away

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
They're gonna throw it away. It sucks but that's the way it is. Hickman Doom best Doom. Waid baddie Doom worst type of Doom.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

To be totally fair, they make a great big point of saying that the AI is imbued with Tony's actual consciousness and so it "is" Tony in any way that counts.

I suppose whether that explanation works for you or not depends on whether you believe that comic book artificial intelligences A) can be fully-rounded people and B) that they can hold the full breadths of an actual human being's identity.

Oh that's not what I'm laughing at.

He tried to decapitate a hologram. Something that had no mass.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

BrianWilly posted:

I'm willing to accept both of those premises. I'd also be willing to accept that hologram Tony is lying about being an AI at all and was just a super-science way for his actual mind to interact with the outside world. Either way, decapitation isn't much of a threat when your head is just projected light.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ohh I see. Yeah that was pretty dumb :sweatdrop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astribulus posted:

I'm willing to accept both of those premises. I'd also be willing to accept that hologram Tony is lying about being an AI at all and was just a super-science way for his actual mind to interact with the outside world. Either way, decapitation isn't much of a threat when your head is just projected light.

AI Tony is absolutely his digital soul or something.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

X-Men: Gold's Secret Empire tie-in turns out to be hilariously perfunctory, ending with a literal summons to Congress, which I guess got over the whole Hydra thing in record time and wants to get back to bothering mutants. I guess editorial mandate made them bother to tie it in in the first place, because it's really clear the writers weren't interested at all.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Secret Empire has to be the most up its own butt comic of 2017. Stop trying to ask who the real bad guys are as Captain America enacts his final solution and the Hulk beats innocent civilians into paste.

Ultimates 2 is just amazing though. Punch dimension and all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TheHan posted:

Secret Empire has to be the most up its own butt comic of 2017.

Did make for a couple of good asides in Spectacular Spider-Man though

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

howe_sam posted:

Did make for a couple of good asides in Spectacular Spider-Man though

Goodness gracious, did it ever.:allears:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Onmi posted:

Oh that's not what I'm laughing at.

He tried to decapitate a hologram. Something that had no mass.

It only makes the sequence a bit less stupid, but Cap used some tech that made him tangible before the fight.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's fine if he isn't iron man so long as he's not a bad guy again. infamous iron man has been pretty good and it'd be lame if they threw it away

If Doom goes back to being a villain then, along with the end of Unstoppable Wasp, my interest in Marvel will be fading fast. I might only stick around to see what Riri does next.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
America Chavez essentially duping Cyclops's mutation with her power was a pretty cool bit.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It only makes the sequence a bit less stupid, but Cap used some tech that made him tangible before the fight.

Although with that said even a tangible hologram presumably wouldn't have internal architecture or organs so I'm not sure what removing his head would achieve even if it was solid.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

even if they made the hologram solid somehow, it's not an actual body. decapitating it wouldn't do anything because it's just there so people have something to interact with

Gatts posted:

They're gonna throw it away. It sucks but that's the way it is. Hickman Doom best Doom. Waid baddie Doom worst type of Doom.

I mean yea, doom will probably be a villain again someday, but having his return to villainy happen in the same book where he tries to go against it would be especially lame and totally ruin an otherwise good story

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Decapitating your rival's hologram just feels good. It's a virtual way to rub it in. Like killing a another player in an online game and your character pretending to teabag their character's dead body.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I assumed he was going to stab him in the arc reactor.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Lobok posted:

Decapitating your rival's hologram just feels good. It's a virtual way to rub it in. Like killing a another player in an online game and your character pretending to teabag their character's dead body.

The Avengers walk in on Cap teabagging an empty suit of Iron Man armor

Open Marriage Night posted:

I assumed he was going to stab him in the arc reactor.

This is not only the most logical course of action, but is exactly what movie Steve does to disable movie Tony in Civil War! Such a loving dumb comic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

age of ultron also had a better solution to an ai escaping, even if it was basically magic. at least it paid lip service to the idea that destroying a physical body wasn't good enough

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
I liked Secret Empire 6 because I got to see Ben Grimm be heroic and I will never not love that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Autism Sneaks posted:

The Avengers walk in on Cap teabagging an empty suit of Iron Man armor

This is not only the most logical course of action, but is exactly what movie Steve does to disable movie Tony in Civil War! Such a loving dumb comic.

The comic never shows him try and go for the head. He just raises the shield above his head.

Lenil Yu draws a great Thing. As a comic reader, it's easy to forget that Ben Grimm is still a massive rock creature.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just finished SE 6. It's mediocre to me. All the controversy aside, it has potential in spots. But overall it's just really underwhelming. I did enjoy the Thing's appearance though. That was awesome. And I continue to love Lenil Yu's work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like Aaron is having too much fun writing over the top dialog for War Thor. It's way too ridiculously grimdark to be serious.

I hope Spider-Man's blazer is the same one he wore when he was teaching the Special Class.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like Aaron is having too much fun writing over the top dialog for War Thor. It's way too ridiculously grimdark to be serious.

I hope Spider-Man's blazer is the same one he wore when he was teaching the Special Class.

Grimdark should not be something ever associated with Volstagg, even ironically. :colbert:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Grimdark should not be something ever associated with Volstagg, even ironically. :colbert:

Volstagg just has not been treated well in recent years. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw, who respectively wrote and drew the criminally under-read God Country for Image are the new creative team on Thanos in Marvel Legacy. So that's going to immediately be one of the more unique and best looking books at Marvel. Pretty excited about that.

I do believe that is Thanos ascending a throne made on top of the head of Galactus. I am so in for this.

EDIT: Cates has a signed a Marvel exclusive contract and will be writing Doctor Strange as well.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 21, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ed Piskor (Hip Hop Family Tree) will being doing his thing with X-Men history in a miniseries. A decade of lore each issue.
http://www.cbr.com/ed-piskor-xmen-grand-design/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also in things I didn't know I wanted but yes please: Noah Hawley is making a Doctor Doom movie.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's hard to get excited when you've seen the fantastic 4 movies, but if nothing else it can't possibly be worse

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's hard to get excited when you've seen the fantastic 4 movies, but if nothing else it can't possibly be worse

It's hard not to get excited when it's Noah Hawley who apparently I guess is Fox's Golden Child after Fargo and Legion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw, who respectively wrote and drew the criminally under-read God Country for Image are the new creative team on Thanos in Marvel Legacy. So that's going to immediately be one of the more unique and best looking books at Marvel. Pretty excited about that.

I do believe that is Thanos ascending a throne made on top of the head of Galactus. I am so in for this.

EDIT: Cates has a signed a Marvel exclusive contract and will be writing Doctor Strange as well.
I *liked* but didn't *love* God Country, but I'll definitely give this a shot. Art will be gorgeous, if nothing else.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ed Piskor (Hip Hop Family Tree) will being doing his thing with X-Men history in a miniseries. A decade of lore each issue.
http://www.cbr.com/ed-piskor-xmen-grand-design/

This, on the other hand :getin:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Also in things I didn't know I wanted but yes please: Noah Hawley is making a Doctor Doom movie.

Too bad they won't make a deal with Marvel for Strange.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

God Country people taking over for Thanos is significantly better than putting Ed Brisson or Cullen Bunn on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Has anyone blown their lid over Richards arm being spotted yet?

• Locked thread