Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

NewForumSoftware posted:

at least he didn't vote for a slaveowner

Trump is not a slaveowner? I'm sure his companies have used plenty of slaves by your definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

yronic heroism posted:

Well, they gave a solid example of him not being able to answer a question about race except on class grounds. He wouldn't have needed to change any part of his platform even to speak to the lady's concern.

That was a year and a half ago. His answer to that question has improved quite a bit since then; it's a little odd that the article seems to think that nothing has been learned from the 2016 primaries.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

This is like a babby's first race discussion if any discussion about whether a candidate (any candidate) is speaking enough to the concerns of minority voters devolves into "are you calling candidate X (or his supporters) a RACIST?! The worst thing you can call someone in America?!!"

Get this: admitting there's a way to do better outreach is a sign of strength, not weakness.

Hmm, yes, that is just what the article is doing

quote:

Sanders and his supporters seem more interested in converting racist Donald Trump supporters while dismissing the electoral power of black female voters who’ve never wavered in their support of a party that consistently treats them like side piece

sSanders told CBS News in November that he comes from the white working class and that he was “deeply humiliated” that the Democratic Party (you know, the party he refuses to join) lost its support to Trump.

Hmm. I guess he wasn’t humiliated by the fact that those working-class white folk voted for a man who essentially advocated for resurrecting Jim Crow.

If Sanders is supposed to be the Democratic front-runner, why is he so invested in earning votes from racist white folks who despise minorities, the most loyal voters in the Democratic Party?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oh no the Root snarked on Bernie. :qq: fetch me my fainting couch.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

Trump is not a slaveowner? I'm sure his companies have used plenty of slaves by your definition.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/exmbjm/i-confronted-donald-trump-in-dubai

That didn't take long.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

yronic heroism posted:

Oh no the Root snarked on Bernie. :qq: fetch me my fainting couch.

So you're pretty much admitting that the article is indefensible, I take it?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

"get in the trenches and win the black vote" isn't a plan, its a goal. Right now the plan is internally consistent statements of economic justice until America gets sick of everyone else's bullshit but demsoc bullshit and its slowly sorta working kinda in some surprising places you wouldn't otherwise think have ideological give. We're in agreement more could be done overall. What would you have him do.

push barbara lee to run

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sneakster posted:

How about a robust suite of social programs for the affordability of education/healthcare, access to credit, wages, daycare, pre-school, maternity leave, vacation time, private prison, drug and law enforcement reform.

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMVNC5l4IM

Just to step away from the argument for a second: every time I see the thumbnail for this video it makes me think someone just made the worlds worst dating sim. Something about the Tweet Box.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Sneakster posted:

How is that not a vague generality?

It's a stylistic issue. His policies are already better, but that deosn't win elections.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we've had two mush brained presidents in less than fifty years. i love bernie but we do want to roll the dice on #3

Yep.

NewForumSoftware posted:

at least he didn't vote for a slaveowner

oh wait i can ignore you now

and because you'll whine, it's not because hillary had slaves as first lady of Arkansas, she did, it's because you don't get a racial high ground over Clinton by voting for trump .

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaxyon posted:

It's a stylistic issue. His policies are already better, but that deosn't win elections.

I think people in general have sobered up to the meaninglessness of eloquent platitudes. Or maybe not, probably nobody knows, but I'm gonna hazard a guess that really people with basic needs prefer specific ideas on a national level over sweet but empty words aimed at the local level.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Oh, so you meant the opposite of the thing you said.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

Considering he posted a bunch of stuff against Corbyn (while also making the argument that Hillary/the dems actually had a good showing) and

yronic heroism posted:

amusingly the ills that rudatron diagnoses which represent a certain type of politics advanced by a certain echo chamber of Hilldawg fans pretty much tracks with some of the poo poo itt: don't say anything questioning, or you're concern trolling... pretty much substitute Bernie bro for centrist or whatever and it's the same poo poo the world over.

I think it's safe to assume he isn't arguing in good faith.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

No I'm responding to joepinetree... who seems to say that some snarking amid the criticism is "just" like calling Bernie an unreconstructed racist.

But hey, it's not like they called him a slaveowner. Though he did endorse and (I assume) vote for someone NFS is happy to say repeatedly, with no new content, owned slaves.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
You know people might be unwilling to listen to the root because of its history of attacking Bernie.

http://www.theroot.com/tag/bernie-sanders

Just look at the recent articles.

Their owner must really be desperate to protect their offshore accounts.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 20, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Considering he posted a bunch of stuff against Corbyn (while also making the argument that Hillary/the dems actually had a good showing) and

I think it's safe to assume he isn't arguing in good faith.

Where did I ever say Hillary did well? loving prove it. I'll wait.

Regardless of whether Corbyn objectively "did well" (however we choose to define it) I'm p sure he supported people turning out for Labour MPs even though plenty of his MPs aren't his fans, instead of rage quitting or voting for loving UKIP. Because he understands coalition politics and is not a literal baby.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

realistically though it probably has to be bernie because theres no one he could pick as a surrogate and not overshadow to a hilarious degree on the campaign

If I were Bernie I would stage a self-assassination and then have my last words be "(Surrogate), I leave the future of the country to you..."

steinrokkan posted:

I think people in general have sobered up to the meaninglessness of eloquent platitudes. Or maybe not, probably nobody knows, but I'm gonna hazard a guess that really people with basic needs prefer specific ideas on a national level over sweet but empty words aimed at the local level.

While they're certainly less effective than they used to be, I think that they can still work well with older Americans.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Sneakster posted:

Oh, so you meant the opposite of the thing you said.

I literally said he was in the election to push hillary left.

Hillary was better than trump, on issues, but lost the election.

Bernie was better than HIllary, on issues, but lost the primary.

Bernie's problem isn't his policy but the way he communicates them to people who aren't white.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

No I'm responding to joepinetree... who seems to say that some snarking amid the criticism is "just" like calling Bernie an unreconstructed racist.

But hey, it's not like they called him a slaveowner. Though he did endorse and (I assume) vote for someone NFS is happy to say repeatedly, with no new content, owned slaves.

Ah, yes, "Bernie is more interested in reaching out to racists than to Black women" is just snark. Love the moving goalposts.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Jaxyon, have you ever considered that there is a different between POC primary voters and POC general election voters?

One group is not nearly as invested in personal party narratives and "It's X's candidate's turn now" Donna Brazile establishment crap.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

If I were Bernie I would stage a self-assassination and then have my last words be "(Surrogate), I leave the future of the country to you..."
The Golgo 13 x Bernie crossover fanfiction I've been waiting for since middle school.

Jaxyon posted:

I literally said he was in the election to push hillary left.
I dunno about that, seems like a stupid thing to say.

Jaxyon posted:

Bernie's problem isn't his policy but the way he communicates them to people who aren't white.
Well, outside of his ability to legislatively correct the human condition, he seems to have made in roads so not sure how that's a problem. There's not going to be another black president in our lifetimes and the Clinton brand is sunsetting regardless of every policy persued having been terrible, so a better choice would have to be found.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Can we put the myth that People of Color don't relate to Bernie to rest now?:

Because it's bullshit.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I'm sure if Sanders ran in 2020, he'd have applied lessons from 2016 and a lot of the issues we're bringing up with him now might not be a problem (or as much of a problem).

I still hope we can get a new face though. No more Clintons. I know it probably sounds immature, but I want someone who doesn't have to jump through hoops and exotic contortions to reconcile all the compromises they have had to make over the years to run for office. Just someone who wants to do a good job.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Brony Car posted:

reconcile all the compromises they have had to make over the years to run for office. Just someone who wants to do a good job.

Those weren't "compromises". Selling out the poor to appeal to a diverse coalition of middle class property owners was the aim of the Clinton era DNC. This is why leadership needs to be dismantled.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

lol at blaming middle eastern migrant labor violations on trump

like it or not, Trump is actually better than Clinton re: slavery. this is one of the problems with having slaves, its hard to wash that sort of ink off in 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Ah yes, the "but the slaves were such a good deal, how could I refuse" slaver defense.

E: almost as good as "they came with the job of First Lady of Arkansas, so how could I not write glowing reviews and profit from slavers for the rest of my career"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 20, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

NFS always ready with the zings about slaves. I will take a wild guess that none of his ancestors were US slaves and he's just loving being an internet white dude edgelord, but if that's the way he's playing it...

Pls explain how the Trump organization has not used slave labor.

PS: Realistically we all know Trump has personally used sex slaves too because duh.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

yronic heroism posted:

Pls explain how the Trump organization has not used slave labor.

- Hillary 2020 campaign slogan.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The trump organization is actually run on Slav labor.

allegedly

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Willie Tomg posted:

IDK about the chechnya thing specifically as it pertains to your local but generally you want to focus and act locally rather than spend time drafting statements that homophobia in a subjugated Russian state is bad. So if you're the guy who's IRL opinions are being swayed by reading possibly leftish unrelated internet posts or clamoring for More Internationalist Stances when you don't even have a meaningful local coalition of groups to speak of, then i dunno man, get used to staying inside and losing things alone. At some point, assuming you do good and not bad, you're gonna have to talk IRL with people you call crazy on the internet and not lose your poo poo. Goondolences.

Hey, you don't have PMs so I hope you see this.

I just wanted to say thank you. I did go to the meeting and actually had a good time. I didn't agree with everything they said during it but it made me wanna volunteer and work with them more. Thank you :)

And sorry everyone for the derail. I thought this was the effective Leftism thread.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

And sorry everyone for the derail. I thought this was the effective Leftism thread.

There's a few threads to that effect in C-SPAM. This is basically the "lets point out democrat problems and annoy weird regulars" thread.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

Can we put the myth that People of Color don't relate to Bernie to rest now?:

Because it's bullshit.

To be fair, this chart is a bit misleading because the vast majority of black people are Democrats. So within the context of Democratic voters (or potential Democratic voters), it isn't necessarily true that he has higher support among African Americans than those other demographics (I mean, it might be, but that chart isn't really sufficient to say one way or the other).

That being said, the chart is sufficient to show that black people don't really dislike Bernie Sanders.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

When I was volunteering around here for the local dems I never heard any of them (the dems) say that they disliked Bernie or thought he was wrong. They just thought that Hillary was more likely to beat trump since she was a solid contender in the political arena already and Bernie was an outsider.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sneakster posted:

- Hillary 2020 campaign slogan.

"No see it was the good kind of slaves (foreigners)"

-2017 internet "leftists"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't think leftists are for slavery... Unless you count slavery of the bouigiouse

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

yronic heroism posted:

Its time to abandon the American labor aristocracy and elect a president in accordance with the values of Maoism Third-Worldism.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sneakster posted:

Its time to abandon the American labor aristocracy and elect a president in accordance with the values of Maoism Third-Worldism.

JDPON or bust

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

While I don't agree with NSF saying that Clinton is worse on slavery than Trump, you have to recognize that at this point you're arguing that she's not worse than Trump on slavery. I mean, if there's a better example of damning someone with faint praise, I haven't seen it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

While I don't agree with NSF saying that Clinton is worse on slavery than Trump, you have to recognize that at this point you're arguing that she's not worse than Trump on slavery. I mean, if there's a better example of damning someone with faint praise, I haven't seen it.

in a similar vein, Obama is easily one of our best Presidents ever

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

in a similar vein, Obama is easily one of our best Presidents ever

:agreed:

On the flip side, think of how high the bar is for "worst president."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majorian posted:

:agreed:

On the flip side, think of how high the bar is for "worst president."