Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I bet they're gonna put a cap on # of poison instances. 5? 10? 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
After playing through act 5 in the 2 week and reading most of the dialogue, I really hope that Dialla is the boss of act 9.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Wait, there's dialog?

:cheeky:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
once 3.0 hits im gonna listen to all the new dialogue and read all new texts, im fucken ready for some lore HELL YEAH

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Same but only once

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't touched this game since forever but I heard something about a big expansion or something.
Have they or do they have any plans to introduce a way for filthy casuals like me to change characters builds without making a new character or grinding regret orbs? Or should I just play D3 instead?

Because PoE is better in pretty much every way and I'd like to play it but not being able to switch my build is a deal breaker to me.

the current situation with currency farmers and bots actually makes it super easy to buy all the regrets you need to fully despec a level 100 character for about 2 ex, so if your problem was trading for all the regrets it's a lot easier. If your problem was affording all the regrets it's still gonna be a bit of a problem.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

:siren: Fall of Oriath gets an official release date: August 4th :siren:

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
For the life of me I could not get a basalt flask to drop in 80 levels in the 2 week ssf, followed by dying like a moron in the trial of lingering pain. Don't do lab/trials when you're exhausted kids, stick to mindlessly failing to make cadiro spawn in your maps.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Fall of Oriath Release Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgWzr0Vxyrw&hd=1

Doedre looks disgusting and I love it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

once 3.0 hits im gonna listen to all the new dialogue and read all new texts, im fucken ready for some lore HELL YEAH
Especially hype for more sassy Witch dialogue

That trailer is great and I am extremely hype for August 4th.

e: I just realized I'm going to be out of town for three days that next week, uuuuuggggghhhhhh

theshim fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 19, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

August 4th is sooner than I was expecting. I've got a new OP I've been working on off and on over the past few weeks, I'll see if I can start putting the finishing touches on it so I can get it posted before the expansion launches. One thing I'd like input on is how we can provide more useful information to new players about what class/build they should play. All throughout this thread new folks would come in and understandably be overwhelmed with the game and I'd like to be able to address as many of those types of questions in the OP as I can. But staying on top of beginner friendly build recommendations is a huge pain. Ideally I'd like to have one general "go-to" build guide for basic archetypes (melee, ranged, caster, summoner, etc), but drat there are so many builds. Not really sure what to include.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Thank god my boss doesn't care about notice for time off, 2 weeks is way too short for a lot of people.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Loving the hints of the belly of the beast track in the trailer music.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I'm still a talisman boss short of getting the legacy portal. I guess I should just blow my chaos orbs on a talisman leaguestone of terror or two.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Why would they drop Fall of Oriath when I'm at TI?!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Atlas of Worlds got dropped when I was at PAX, deal with it :colbert:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
welp I leave town for a week on the fourth.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Stangg posted:

For the life of me I could not get a basalt flask to drop in 80 levels in the 2 week ssf

Basalt flask is a quest reward for merciless Mercy Mission.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

J posted:

August 4th is sooner than I was expecting. I've got a new OP I've been working on off and on over the past few weeks, I'll see if I can start putting the finishing touches on it so I can get it posted before the expansion launches. One thing I'd like input on is how we can provide more useful information to new players about what class/build they should play. All throughout this thread new folks would come in and understandably be overwhelmed with the game and I'd like to be able to address as many of those types of questions in the OP as I can. But staying on top of beginner friendly build recommendations is a huge pain. Ideally I'd like to have one general "go-to" build guide for basic archetypes (melee, ranged, caster, summoner, etc), but drat there are so many builds. Not really sure what to include.

Anything that's budget-friendly and has a good leveling guide will work, but some players can get intimidated by the idea of respeccing at later levels. Maybe a simple 100% phys or ele conversion, but I'm a dumb idiot at this game so I don't really know.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Wow, you guys were right. Poison Tornado Shot Assassin looks like it deals broken amounts of damage with just an Infractem bow. I'm looking at 1.5 million DPS in path of building. Unless I'm mistaken, the beta changes to DoTs means they don't get reduced by GMP, so you can scale damage like crazy with additional projectiles that can hit the same target, like they do with Barrage or Tornado Shot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Vanguard Warden posted:

Wow, you guys were right. Poison Tornado Shot Assassin looks like it deals broken amounts of damage with just an Infractem bow. I'm looking at 1.5 million DPS in path of building. Unless I'm mistaken, the beta changes to DoTs means they don't get reduced by GMP, so you can scale damage like crazy with additional projectiles that can hit the same target, like they do with Barrage or Tornado Shot.

How does it look in 3.0 path of building?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

How does it look in 3.0 path of building?

I was talking about 3.0.

If were asking about the tree, it's something like this.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Neat, I might try something like that. Because if there's something you really need for 3.0, it's single target damage.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Vanguard Warden posted:

I was talking about 3.0.

If were asking about the tree, it's something like this.
How about a path of building pastebin instead?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Neat, I might try something like that. Because if there's something you really need for 3.0, it's single target damage.

They just made a post about them nerfing top end of poison again. Dont plan on it.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

How about a path of building pastebin instead?

Oh drat, I didn't see the auto-pastebin option before now: https://pastebin.com/gcwq9Xav

I only just slapped it together to test the numbers out, but the tree will always follow the same sort of route. Trim extra low-value damage nodes to to make it a little less point-expensive. The only gear that actually matters is a Cospri's Will, because it's a free poison link and dual-curse in one item. Infractem is good to have to not worry about pierce nodes, though.

TheRat posted:

They just made a post about them nerfing top end of poison again. Dont plan on it.

I'm actually really curious how they could nerf it significantly enough without killing poison entirely. I've never seen another build with numbers that high. The next-best thing I have for 3.0 is only 450k DPS, and that's after some wind-up time.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Oh drat, I didn't see the auto-pastebin option before now: https://pastebin.com/gcwq9Xav

I only just slapped it together to test the numbers out, but the tree will always follow the same sort of route. Trim extra low-value damage nodes to to make it a little less point-expensive. The only gear that actually matters is a Cospri's Will, because it's a free poison link and dual-curse in one item. Infractem is good to have to not worry about pierce nodes, though.

I'm actually really curious how they could nerf it significantly enough without killing poison entirely. I've never seen another build with numbers that high. The next-best thing I have for 3.0 is only 450k DPS, and that's after some wind-up time.

FWIW I can hit 750k on PoB with RF totems

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

How do you manage that?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Vanguard Warden posted:

How do you manage that?

https://pastebin.com/qJGjmS2K

RF/Burning Damage/Rapid Decay/Elemental Focus/Efficacy/Conc Effect for links. Inc AoE is better than conc effect for mapping but less dps. You can probably do a lot more damage than that, I just grabbed a character I already had on beta.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

One thing I've found helpful now when using path of building is setting the enemy type to standard boss. It gives you a better picture of the DPS when you really need it, given the new increased boss hp. The popcorn enemies should be exploding no matter what you are doing. The decreased curse effectiveness and increased resists are definitely something to take into account.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I always just check my stuff against a default enemy with ~40 in all elemental resists, because that seemed to be the average when I checked the wiki.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 20, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Katasi posted:

I thought only the 2nd and 3rd hits autotarget, and if you're not namelocked the first one will whiff.

This used to be the case, but the last major patch introduced first-strike autotargeting for melee skills, in a certain range around your cursor. It's not perfect but it's WAY better.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
do RF totems stack or can you only take damage from one RF source at a time? I can't check wiki :/

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

do RF totems stack or can you only take damage from one RF source at a time? I can't check wiki :/

One RF at a time

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

McFrugal posted:

This used to be the case, but the last major patch introduced first-strike autotargeting for melee skills, in a certain range around your cursor. It's not perfect but it's WAY better.

Really? I need to learn more about this. I'll do experiments next time I'm bored with builds.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bushiz posted:

the current situation with currency farmers and bots actually makes it super easy to buy all the regrets you need to fully despec a level 100 character for about 2 ex, so if your problem was trading for all the regrets it's a lot easier. If your problem was affording all the regrets it's still gonna be a bit of a problem.

My actual problem is that PoE seems to really want me to either plan my whole build in advance or use a guide made by someone else who has planned their whole build in advance, to get any kind of viable character (and by viable I mean a character that can kill Uber Izaro at least) while not giving me any tools whatsoever to plan my character or letting me correct my build on the fly without making a new character.

I played PoE for a little while before, long enough to kill Uber Izaro. The game is great but having to constantly double-check a guide every level to get a decent build or whatever makes me not want to play the game at all.

Seriously, the game has this gigantic sphere grid thing and the gem system lets you create so many different cool combos but the game doesn't let you play around with those mechanics because you have to make a whole new character every time you want to properly test a new thing, it's infuriating.

I check back on this game every month in hopes that maybe they'll add a separate "Filthy Casuals" League that would just give you infinite regret points or something but it seems like that'll never happen.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You do get a reasonable number of respec points while levelling, but you are right, I think there are two notable outstanding flaws with the game. One being lack of support for trading, the other being accessibility.

As you get familiar with the game it does become more viable to put a build together on-the-fly making minor corrections as you go, but I've been playing for years and am only just approaching the point where I feel like I can wing it and make a viable, but not top tier, build.

If Izaro is your main concern you can always buy a carry. Some builds just aren't that good at lab, despite being perfectly viable at end-game.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When I wing builds (which is kinda often, maybe 40% of all my builds) I typically pick a class, pick a skill, and then set milestones like "I'm getting RT and every life node along the way" which gives me something to spend my next 20-25 points on.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I spent the recent beta wave building towards an elemental wander by levelling as an elemental archer, then realizing I disliked the playstyle and the rarity of its build-defining unique, switched back to elemental archer, constantly fine-tuning aspects of the build as I went along. And in the end, I think I came up with something unique and moderately powerful. As long as you don't make a drastic change to the paradigm your character is built around, you have a reasonable degree of freedom to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Seriously, the game has this gigantic sphere grid thing and the gem system lets you create so many different cool combos but the game doesn't let you play around with those mechanics because you have to make a whole new character every time you want to properly test a new thing, it's infuriating.
Path of Building is really handy when trying to plan things out on your own. The 'show node power' checkbox is basically magic when it comes to figuring out the path you want to take going through the grid. The ability to see exactly how much dps/life each node will add to your build is huge. The average per point is also extremely useful when considering which of two branches is most appropriate.

• Locked thread