Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Based on the 4 lug wheels, skinny tires and truckstop signal lights, i'm gonna guess fiero beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Almost looks like a highly-modified rear-engine MGB.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Darchangel posted:

I think it's just a picture they grabbed from Google images, that someone was using to mock up their sick modz. Aren't those Supra wheels?

Yeah, grabbed the first picture that turned up. I honestly didn't even notice the MSPaint skills on display.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some of the interesting/wild/weird poo poo I've seen on the street the last couple months:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't think that's a real sheriff.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

What gave it away, the hot pants or the rainbow plush leg things?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
new boot goofin'

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ether Frenzy posted:

Some of the interesting/wild/weird poo poo I've seen on the street the last couple months:

This one stood out, I've never seen one of those as a 3-door before. Neat!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Anyone want to tell me what this awesome car is:

It's shown up to Exotics at Redmond Town Center pretty often. Has no branding on it whatsoever, and isn't in that great of shape, yet they keep putting it in the line. It's far more mysterious and exciting than 95% of the other cars that show up simply because I have no clue what it is.
Probably some beetle kit car. There are tons of different beetle kits, plus uncountable one-offs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Every time I see these Porsches my brain sees OMG MORI.
OMG MORI!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Ether Frenzy posted:

I was really hesitant to scroll down but I did and drew the greatest sigh of relief at seeing it wasn't slammed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The one mistake is that idiot luggage rack over the engine lid.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Memento posted:

This one stood out, I've never seen one of those as a 3-door before. Neat!

Even more rare/interesting is the 3 door FX16 GT-S Corollas of the same chassis. I had a beat up one with like 240,000 miles on it in the early 2000's. Started my love of 4AGE motors.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Famous Porsche man Magnus Walker wrote a book and kicked off his signing tour here in Miami at a specialty Porsche shop. Unsurprisingly some neat cars showed up so if you're a Porsche fan here you go (and if you're not there's still a few other cool things):

Matt Farrah showed up in a Lamborghini press car

Full album here, too many to post without junking up the thread:
http://imgur.com/a/mwTWb

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

net work error posted:

Famous Porsche man Magnus Walker wrote a book and kicked off his signing tour here in Miami at a specialty Porsche shop. Unsurprisingly some neat cars showed up so if you're a Porsche fan here you go (and if you're not there's still a few other cool things):

Full album here, too many to post without junking up the thread:
http://imgur.com/a/mwTWb

This was refreshing, and I'm not even that big of a Porsche fan. Great album!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TotalLossBrain posted:

What gave it away, the hot pants or the rainbow plush leg things?

Standard issue in reno

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

Every time I see these Porsches my brain sees OMG MORI.
OMG MORI!

DMG MORI makes some of the best CNC milling machines in the world. Super high end expensive stuff.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

DMG MORI makes some of the best CNC milling machines in the world. Super high end expensive stuff.

I did wonder.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Powershift posted:

I searched the character's name to get a still from the show for :thejoke:, and I think I found the exact cosplayer/celebrity lookalike Ether Frenzy saw. He's available for hire for your event!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're even cooler on a track

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIBaRYuJTV8

Modern rally cars are unreal :eyepop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't understand how every rally stage doesn't end with "...and eighty-six spectators were injured, nine killed."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sagebrush posted:

I don't understand how every rally stage doesn't end with "...and eighty-six spectators were injured, nine killed."

Especially out of the Group B era where they'd line the course and part as the cars came.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:psyduck:
Those dudes at 1 minute is me watching this video.
This seems more nuts than a usual rally, is that just me?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

net work error posted:

WRC cars got a huge power and aero boost this year, so they're approaching Group B levels of insanity again.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

net work error posted:

Yes, WRC has gotten crazy with the new regulations: wider restrictor plates, wider stances, lighter cars, better aero. They hadn't significantly changed the regulations in decades, and when they did change them, it was only to make them stricter, so it's a very welcome change. Now let's hope we won't get a repeat of the 1986 season with several spectator and crew deaths and a rollback of the regulations... and that video of the Poland rally isn't exactly promising on the front of crowd control

It seems to me most of the "magic" is in the suspensions, though. The cars are so stable and level they don't even look like they're running on a road, much less a gravel road at 200+ km/h, and they recover immediately from some seriously crazy jumps

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 21, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iospace posted:

WRC cars got a huge power and aero boost this year, so they're approaching Group B levels of insanity again.

Approaching? No, I'd argue they gone past it. They are faster in every possible way... the only thing missing is the noise of say a Audi S1. And they are delivering spectacting that not even Group B could do.... Finland this year is going to be completely mental

hackbunny posted:

Yes, WRC has gotten crazy with the new regulations (wider restrictors, wider stances, lighter, better aero) but most of the "magic" is in the suspensions IMO. The cars are so stable and level don't even look like they're running on a road, much less a gravel road at 200+ km/h, and they recover immediately from some seriously crazy jumps

The magic isnt in the suspension which hasnt really advanced that much for a few years - The magic is on the now returned active differentials. That really stabilizes the car and allows the drivers to really throw the cars about

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hackbunny posted:

Yes, WRC has gotten crazy with the new regulations: wider restrictor plates, wider stances, lighter cars, better aero. They hadn't significantly changed the regulations in decades, and when they did change them, it was only to make them stricter, so it's a very welcome change. Now let's hope we won't get a repeat of the 1986 season with several spectator and crew deaths and a rollback of the regulations... and that video of the Poland rally isn't exactly promising on the front of crowd control

It seems to me most of the "magic" is in the suspensions, though. The cars are so stable and level they don't even look like they're running on a road, much less a gravel road at 200+ km/h, and they recover immediately from some seriously crazy jumps

There's rumors that Poland may lose its rally because of the lack of crowd control :ughh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

There's rumors that Poland may lose its rally because of the lack of crowd control :ughh:

That's a pity altho I understand there's a lot more to it than just that. It's apparently just not well organised at all.

Personally I hope they get their poo poo together as some of the footage that has come from Poland over the last couple of years has been legit mindblowing. Especially this year.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Suspension these days is pretty much magic compared to the 80s though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of. In racing environments we pretty much nailed suspension design down by the 80s. Multilink suspension was comonplace in F1 by the 1960s. Problem back then was tire tech. Tire compounds have advanced leaps and bounds in the following decades. Allowing for higher grip with lower distortion and yet more compliance all while increasing wear life and reducing weight.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The magic isnt in the suspension which hasnt really advanced that much for a few years - The magic is on the now returned active differentials. That really stabilizes the car and allows the drivers to really throw the cars about

Oooh that makes sense. It also explains how they can maintain control so well after sideways jumps

mekilljoydammit posted:

Suspension these days is pretty much magic compared to the 80s though.

Boy howdy! Look at the 205 T16 at 7:15 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrlhepfy9-I&t=435s

Pity we'll probably never get to hear unrestricted turbos again

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

um excuse me posted:

Kind of. In racing environments we pretty much nailed suspension design down by the 80s. Multilink suspension was comonplace in F1 by the 1960s. Problem back then was tire tech. Tire compounds have advanced leaps and bounds in the following decades. Allowing for higher grip with lower distortion and yet more compliance all while increasing wear life and reducing weight.

There's a lot more to suspension design than geometry (and even that is far from a solved science). The big thing that I'm looking at is damper internals.

Most of the Group B stuff has much better suspension geometry than the modern WRC stuff... but the modern WRC stuff sticks tremendously better. It's not just due to rubber; look at the body movement between the 205T16 linked in that video and the modern WRC stuff. That's not tire doing that.

And yes active differentials are amazing too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if they're used in WRC but those new fancy magnetic shocks are some voodoo poo poo too

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

They're not used in motorsports basically anywhere. I came across a shock guy from McLaren talking about them once - apparently they couldn't get them to hold consistent forces for more than about half an hour because you're basically forcing abrasive through a small hole to make it work. He was of the opinion that OEM ones overcome that problem by just not holding consistent forces.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Im sorry but Group B does NOT have better geometry. Not even slightly close... the modern WRC suspension came into being with the second Ford Focus WRC with the extreme castor and allowance for massive driop and the subsequent camber changes. Do not mistake the fact a WRC having struts and those massive camber changes as worse geometry

I cant emphasis enough just how revolutionalry the second Focus was for suspension design. Sure not much has changed since then outside of evolution since but every car since copied the Focus for good reason

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What happens at extreme droop on WRC suspensions? They keep camber? Lose it but not as much?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't really know cars of this (apparent) era but I found this in my phone and was wondering what it was. Let me know if I need to post it in the other thread and/or commit honorable sudoku.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't really know cars of this (apparent) era but I found this in my phone and was wondering what it was. Let me know if I need to post it in the other thread and/or commit honorable sudoku.

De Tomaso Pantera

Owns

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Forgot I took this pic

:rock: