Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bentacos posted:

In the original short story Boyd Crowder dies, but Goggins was so good they kept him alive.

Yeah, I know that was a thing, just wasn't sure if that was in addition to my version of the Lem story or I was appropriating the same story to two characters/actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about Syfy's Blood Drive is that it is normally just a show full of gore and swears that parodies old horror movies but there's also a running meta subplot where the MC of the titular Blood Drive has to deal with his corporate overlords trying to take the show away from him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looten Plunder posted:

Yeah, I know that was a thing, just wasn't sure if that was in addition to my version of the Lem story or I was appropriating the same story to two characters/actors.

You were right with the Aaron Paul part too, funny how common it is. Tends to work out well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GreenNight posted:

@midnight has been canceled after 600 episodes.
:lol: Just after the McElroy brothers revealed that they were guesting on their podcast and joking that the show was going to get canceled

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Looten Plunder posted:

Lem was not going to die in the Shield pilot as they already had a cop to die

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DC Murderverse posted:

Welcome back to Fake Forums Jeopardy folks! Our final jeopardy category is Terrible Terrible TV Ideas.

Here's the answer: "It's a terrible idea in any political climate, but despite it's GoT pedigree, this future HBO show about the south having won the civil war and having modern day slavery is going to be a disaster in Drumpf's America."

"What is Confederate?"

That's right, and what did you bid?

"I bid 'the description of this show features the phrase 'the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate' ' "

Congratulations! We'll see you next time on Fake Forums Jeopardy.

I take all of this back if it's just a Tarantino-esque excuse to kill a bunch of confederate loving fuckers

Here I was thinking that they couldn't make something worse than C.S.A.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like seriously Ross has to be with Rachel because he fell for her in high school, and throughout the series when they're on it's all inertia from that, not from actual chemistry and developing friendships
Someone said it earlier and I agree, Monica and Chandler work because both are neurotic little weirdos with awful upbringings who build from that to complement each other and become better people so it never felt forced.
Ross and Rachel were together because sheesh, they're Ross and Rachel I mean come on! Meanwhile Ross is an awful jealous controlling person and Rachel could not care less about Ross's interests or personal life
I mean Joey and Rachel made way more sense because Rachel always had this really goofy streak that jived well with Joey so they always had better chemistry

Holy poo poo what have I become

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

raditts posted:

Here I was thinking that they couldn't make something worse than C.S.A.

Wow, that was a stinker. Thanks for reminding me that existed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Like seriously Ross has to be with Rachel because he fell for her in high school, and throughout the series when they're on it's all inertia from that, not from actual chemistry and developing friendships
Someone said it earlier and I agree, Monica and Chandler work because both are neurotic little weirdos with awful upbringings who build from that to complement each other and become better people so it never felt forced.
Ross and Rachel were together because sheesh, they're Ross and Rachel I mean come on! Meanwhile Ross is an awful jealous controlling person and Rachel could not care less about Ross's interests or personal life
I mean Joey and Rachel made way more sense because Rachel always had this really goofy streak that jived well with Joey so they always had better chemistry

Holy poo poo what have I become

It's also a real problem that none of the the guys are very attractive at all. Even Joey has the goofy bug eyes thing that keeps him from being prime beef. Friends was the fallout of the cultural nuclear bomb that was Reality Bites

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Good god Riverdale is the most stupid and amazing thing

I don't even think it's that stupid or outrageous. It's like Hemlock Grove or 13 Reasons Why if they were both more grounded in reality and better thematically.

Larger than life? Sure. But that's appropriate considering what it is.

I think it works really well.

But I'm a big Dawson fan, too, so...

Edit:

bentacos posted:

In the original short story Boyd Crowder dies, but Goggins was so good they kept him alive.

Not only that, but Goggins was so good that Elmore Leonard wrote a book based on the show, where Boyd was alive.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 20, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What I appreciate about Riverdale is how, after the third or fourth episode, it felt like the show was being kind of tongue in cheek about the whole teen drama thing. It is very much one of those shows, but amped up to like 11. Very Twin Peaks lite imo in more than just the most obvious plot things, or how many times Alice has or offers people pie.

I don't think it's like biting satire or anything, but the show is having fun with itself.

It's also the most visually interesting CW show. I am way into the neon noir aesthetic it's rocking, and the score can be really fun as well as some of the weird throwback covers in the soundtrack. It's just a super comfy show, and the casting and tweaks to the characters all work really well for the most part. Like most of them still feel like their comic counterparts as I remember them from my youth.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

What I appreciate about Riverdale is how, after the third or fourth episode, it felt like the show was being kind of tongue in cheek about the whole teen drama thing. It is very much one of those shows, but amped up to like 11. Very Twin Peaks lite imo in more than just the most obvious plot things, or how many times Alice has or offers people pie.

I don't think it's like biting satire or anything, but the show is having fun with itself.

It's also the most visually interesting CW show. I am way into the neon noir aesthetic it's rocking, and the score can be really fun as well as some of the weird throwback covers in the soundtrack. It's just a super comfy show, and the casting and tweaks to the characters all work really well for the most part. Like most of them still feel like their comic counterparts as I remember them from my youth.

I agree with all of this.

What I love about Dawson's Creek and Riverdale is not about realism. The plots aren't realistic, dialogue's not realistic, and the characters aren't necessarily realistic. But all these things are used as a framework to explore and comment on human emotions. Dawson's Creek extensively externalizes the thoughts and feelings of its characters, resulting in some of the most "NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT" dialogue in television, but it does it because it's writing the interplay of uncertain teenage emotions large as the central aspect of the story. The characters are often insufferable and their convictions cringeworthy, but it works, because even if it's not how real teenagers actually talk, it's how they feel.

Riverdale is doing something really conceptually similar. Unlike in Dawson's Creek, the parental cast is is not part of a mutual sharing of human experience. Instead, it is about the sins of the parent being visited upon the child, and history repeating itself through ignorance. You can see how each teen character could be a younger version of their parents. How, despite consciously trying to be nothing like their parents, their choices are leading them down the same path.

At the same time, Riverdale is very modern in the sense that it's about how millennials are struggling with the shitstorm that their parents created. Dawson's Creek was basically the opposite, where half the characters were first generation College students.

For real: The writers that developed the characterization of the Riverdale parents, in conjunction with their children, did something really great.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I agree entirely. I also love how many of the cast of parents are actors known for sexy teen shows and movies of the 80s and 90s.

Appreciating teen drama isn't always about appreciating a genuinely good tv show, though some of them have pulled it off, but about enjoying the very melodramatic type of storytelling. Like every little thing is the end of the world, and every person has skeletons in their closets, and sometimes they have some seriously impressive acting and I live for them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't understand how anyone who was actually a teenager can't find that kind of show furiously insufferable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, if you've seen both Dawson and Riverdale, you know how the goodie-two-shoes new girlfriend decides to throw a surprise party for her social-outcast boyfriend, who has a history of a family problems and dreads his birthday, plot is going to end...

It's double funny because I just finished that episode, and it ends with Archie's parents maybe getting back together, which was also a drama for Dawson.

It's pretty interesting to see how similar subject matter is treated differently in the early 2000s vs the mid 2010s...

I mean obviously all the writers are different, but we're in the same genre here, so I don't feel like drawing parallels is out of line...

Lots of shows deal with these exact same types of teen struggles. I'm mostly singling out Dawson's Creek because I'm quite familiar with it, and I'm currently rewatching it.

edit: ^ Why would it be insufferable? if the characters in a drama are going to act like morons, I'd prefer it be because they are idiot teenagers that the writers thinking adults should act that way...

Most tv dramas have characters that are supposed to be professional adults, but who act like children. When a show's premise is exploring how children feel about, and react to, conflict, I find it much more sufferable.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 20, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Because I already experienced a maudlin drama where every little thing was the end of the world, everyone had skeletons in their closets and everyone acted like morons, it was called high school and it loving sucked and I don't need a dozen remakes

E: The Wonder Years is the exception that proves the rule.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 20, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

High school would have been a lot more fun if it were actually that glamorous, imo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first two episodes of Lost are still really drat good. It still looks good too except for the plane explosion. Too bad about the ending. Purgatory am i rite guys

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, that makes sense, but a huge amount of dramas about adults are written the exact same way. I just find it less jarring when the characters learning why they shouldn't be terrible assholrs are teenagers and not like, the director of the FBI, or whatever.

I mean, I like well-written dramas of most genres. I was just describing what I liked about the well-executed teen drama.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

A weird thing about Syfy's Blood Drive is that it is normally just a show full of gore and swears that parodies old horror movies but there's also a running meta subplot where the MC of the titular Blood Drive has to deal with his corporate overlords trying to take the show away from him.

Blood Drive makes me rigid :roflolmao:

Awesome show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The first two episodes of Lost are still really drat good. It still looks good too except for the plane explosion. Too bad about the ending. Purgatory am i rite guys

grrrrrrr

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not saying I'm particularly smart in the first place, but watching shows like Lost Girl and Killjoys makes me feel dumber afterwards. I learned negative knowledge and had negative entertainment after seeing them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched Killjoys yet, but it's got some of the most polarized opinions ofnanybshow I've heard of. It's either way better than Dark Matter or hopelessly inferior to Dark Matter, depending on who you ask. And since I found s1 od Dark Matter pretty decent, and s2 unwatchably bad, I doesn't give me much incentive to watch Killjoys.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I haven't watched Killjoys yet, but it's got some of the most polarized opinions ofnanybshow I've heard of. It's either way better than Dark Matter or hopelessly inferior to Dark Matter, depending on who you ask. And since I found s1 od Dark Matter pretty decent, and s2 unwatchably bad, I doesn't give me much incentive to watch Killjoys.

Your first mistake is listening to snobby goons opinions on sci-fi.

Comparing it it to anything is dumb. It's got space stuff and its made on a budget. The cast are fun, but it doesn't have Roger Cross. You always get there in the end, you run out of good stuff and slum it. I've seen you do it countless times, don't get all chin strokey now,

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

What, season 1 is the unwatchably bad one while season 2 had at least a few fun episodes.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

no

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Better Off Ted and Don't Trust the Bitch are two of my favorite and most rewatchable shows, and I'm worried I'm still going to be saying that 20 years from now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really need to watch Don't Trust the Bitch.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
If you're a big Dawson fan yeah you really do. Van Der Beek is hilarious in it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

I really need to watch Don't Trust the Bitch.
It's so good. The woman who plays June is real underrated too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I actually somehow forgot until watching the first ep just now that there was a reason I should watch it besides the praise.

But for real, the first 4 seasons of Dawson's Creek are great tv.

edit: 17 and a half minutes into Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23 and it's one of the best comedy pilots I've ever seen.

edit: 19 and a half minutes and this show is genius. Who lost their job for not advertising this at all?

Snak fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 20, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
YES Snak

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Snak posted:

One positive thing about Killjoys is that it is pretty consistent in quality; unlike Dark Matter, it doesn't have these jarring rises or falls between seasons or even episodes. It doesn't suddenly become PEAK TV amazing after a certain point or completely fall apart (at least not yet). So from the first few episodes, you'll either love it and get right into its tone, or just decide that it's not really your thing.

That being said, while I do watch and generally enjoy both... I still don't understand how anyone can rank Killjoys beneath Dark Matter, a show which currently features not one, but two plot-relevant wars happening 100% off-screen. :psyduck:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Snak posted:

Yeah, I actually somehow forgot until watching the first ep just now that there was a reason I should watch it besides the praise.

But for real, the first 4 seasons of Dawson's Creek are great tv.

edit: 17 and a half minutes into Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23 and it's one of the best comedy pilots I've ever seen.

edit: 19 and a half minutes and this show is genius. Who lost their job for not advertising this at all?

Make sure you follow the correct production order, the broadcast order is hilariously wrong

http://mindy-tv.blogspot.com/2013/01/correct-episode-order-of-dont-trust.html

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Killjoys is good if you appreciate campy budget canadian cable sci fi with pretty people quipping and fighting to canadian indie rock or whatever. The world building is actually surprisingly robust for a show like that, so it's not as 2 dimensional as you might assume.

I only saw like 3 episodes of dark matter and hated it so I can't really compare the two. But if comparisons must be made think of Farscape, or a Stargate spinoff with Vala as a bounty hunter teamed up with Shepherd and a much buffer McKay.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only contribution to Friends chat is, if you look closely you'll realize that the actress who plays Monica's name is spelt Courteney, not Courtney. Didn't pick that up for years despite seeing that title sequence probably a thousand times.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Killjoys talk: I just got Pree. He's gay and his name is Paris. Gay p'ree. This tickles me no end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I tried to watch the season premieres of both Killjoys and Dark Matter and zoned out on both. I think the key is just binging them. There's nothing super good happening to keep me interested week to week and I don't like sci-fi enough to really get enough of a kick out of the mediocrity of them, but when I binge I get sucked in enough to enjoy it. Because I did enjoy their previous seasons on binges and I don't think anything's changed.

Well, Killjoys at least. I think Dark Matter just kept me engaged because they seemed to be plotting the show to have a paradigm shift every 2 or 3 episodes right when I'd start to get bored enough to quit.

Also, I am surprised to realize that I have very strong opinions of Friends and Rachel/Joey when for the life of me I don't remember watching that show at any point of my life. But I must have, right? Because like I remember poo poo like Phoebe giving birth and Monica and Chandler's relationship and Ross' monkey meeting Jean Claude Van Damme and stuff that must mean I was watching this show diligently in a time before DVRs, Hulu, or binge watching. Which confuses the gently caress out of me because I don't remember that at all.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 20, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

EL BROMANCE posted:

My only contribution to Friends chat is, if you look closely you'll realize that the actress who plays Monica's name is spelt Courteney, not Courtney. Didn't pick that up for years despite seeing that title sequence probably a thousand times.

Yeah and also that the show's title has 6 periods in it, one for each friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

Welcome back to Fake Forums Jeopardy folks! Our final jeopardy category is Terrible Terrible TV Ideas.

Here's the answer: "It's a terrible idea in any political climate, but despite it's GoT pedigree, this future HBO show about the south having won the civil war and having modern day slavery is going to be a disaster in Trump's America."

"What is Confederate?"

That's right, and what did you bid?

"I bid 'the description of this show features the phrase 'the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate' ' "

Congratulations! We'll see you next time on Fake Forums Jeopardy.

I take all of this back if it's just a Tarantino-esque excuse to kill a bunch of confederate loving fuckers

The backlash over this is stupid. Man in the High Castle, a show where blacks, LBGT, Jews, etc are persecuted in a modern America ruled by Nazi's is ok and wins emmy awards, but the same premise except its the Confederates instead of Nazi's is not ok.

Like if the show glorifies the confederacy and slavery that is one thing, but I seriously doubt HBO will be doing that. It is fiction and this backlash is just going too far down the SJW rabbit hole.

• Locked thread