Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Antti posted:

I don't think Obama seriously entertained scenario 2 because he thought bipartisanship and patriotism was still a thing. He simply figured that government programs that help people are popular and difficult to unwind, and helped pass what he thought was good healthcare reform with the tools he had at his disposal, while still preserving the insurance business model, and hoping that inertia will keep it in place the same way Medicare has survived.

We kinda shouldn't overstate Obama's role in it either. Lots of Dems were tinkering with PPACA, for good and for ill. It just was easy for the GOP to hang it on Obama because beep boop black man president.

I've always had a problem with this interpretation because Obama's not an idiot, he had to have known going in that his presidency was going to be at least hotly contested, at worst mostly neutered due to racist backlash. Bipartisanship has been dead in national politics since Reagan, at least for the Left, and Obama contrary to his image with the Right was not some political neophyte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kulkasha posted:

I've always had a problem with this interpretation because Obama's not an idiot, he had to have known going in that his presidency was going to be at least hotly contested, at worst mostly neutered due to racist backlash. Bipartisanship has been dead in national politics since Reagan, at least for the Left, and Obama contrary to his image with the Right was not some political neophyte.
What are you basing this on? Everything he did and said suggests that he truly thought that he could get some Republicans to work with him.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

business hammocks posted:

Sounds like a history lesson from Bannon, keeping Hitler and Napoleon in Trump's thoughts.

It's sort of comforting how much stupider Trump is than Hitler. Hitler was a historically monstrous person but he was so much more cunning than Trump there is no comparison. If Trump fails at being historically destructive it will be due to incompetence, not lack of lovely intent.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Antti posted:

I think the point was that ATC waking up and going "hey go around, don't land" was what prevented the disaster.

It is still possible that the pilot decided to go around after hearing the other pilot complain, and that he simply confirmed to the ATC that he is already doing that. His wording "In the go around" and not "Going around" hints at that. Considering his confusion with the lights he probably wouldn't have needed much outside concern to decide to go around.

We will have to wait and see.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

evilweasel posted:

The ACA was absolutely designed to be as hard as possible to undo but it is not conservative and never has been. It took the mandate, the thing borrowed from the heritage foundation, but added far, far more to it. There has never been a real conservative health care plan, merely bullshit to suggest there was one while opposing reform.

It is hard to repeal in large part because it is far far better than the left has given it credit for.

I think you could argue that any health care law that isn't universal healthcare for all, is a conservative law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

als as a reminder most citizens who currently lack health insurance lack it because the Supreme Court made Medicaid expansion optional (it was not, unless a state wanted to give up ALL Medicaid funding) and republicans preventing their citizens from getting Medicaid out of spite

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Okay, I just noticed something about Trump and it's bugging me now. He does this thing, doesn't he, where he just makes up specific, non-round numbers on the spot? Like usually when people don't know something they use an ambiguous number like "millions", or a round approximate number "about a hundred". Trump however gives a precise lie.

"35 degrees below zero"
"700,000 dollars"
"12 dollars a year from age 21"
"at least 60-65 people"
"51 senators today"

It's really weird. None of those numbers are correct - and none of them even need to be. He's just lying for no reason.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 20, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Master Twig posted:

I think you could argue that any health care law that isn't universal healthcare for all, is a conservative law.

Only if you use definition of "conservative" that has little to do with "conservative" politicians in our country.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Antti posted:

One of the big underreported stories is that Medicaid expansion was one of the key cornerstones of PPACA and the people drafting it didn't fully consider the notion that a state would cynically turn down free money from the federal government for purely partisan reasons.

It wasn't possible until the Supreme Court suddenly decided it was.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Antti posted:

One of the big underreported stories is that Medicaid expansion was one of the key cornerstones of PPACA and the people drafting it didn't fully consider the notion that a state would cynically turn down free money from the federal government for purely partisan reasons.
As written, the aca did not make this optional. The act expanded medicaid eligibility generally with a large federal copay, starting at like 90%, but tapering down over time.

One of the legal attacks on the aca which made its way to the Supreme Court resulted in a 5 4 split where the Roberts ignored prior precedent and made it possible for states to reject the money, keep in their state the old narrower eligibility criteria, and say no to the money on behalf of their constituents.

People at that time were suguesting that no state would cynically turn down that money after their politburo judges cynically allowed them to do so.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I stole this from the GIP thread:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/887882493948448773

It's from his NYT interview. His rambling sounds exactly like my Dad sounded right before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's scary how similar it is.

We should be receiving publicly released, annual physical exam reports on the President.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Fangz posted:

Okay, I just noticed something about Trump and it's bugging me now. He does this thing, doesn't he, where he just makes up specific, non-round numbers on the spot? Like usually when people don't know something they use an ambiguous number like "millions", or a round approximate number "about a hundred". Trump however gives a precise lie.

"35 degrees below zero"
"700,000 dollars"
"at least 60-65 people"
"51 senators today"

It's really weird. None of those numbers are correct - and none of them even need to be. He's just lying for no reason.

His lying makes more sense if you remember that exaggerating big numbers always impresses people (in his mind), and he's done that his entire real-estate and business career. Combine that with this brain turning into moosh and he just makes up big numbers because it makes him sound impressive to his idiot audience. There is no tactic here, there is no greater meaning.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fangz posted:

"35 degrees below zero"
"700,000 dollars"
"at least 60-65 people"
"51 senators today"

That's something habitual liars do because very specific numbers sound more believable than rounded off figures.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Money is speech and cannot be regulated. Unless you refuse to spend it the right way, in which case go to prison.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
John McCain having a brain tumor explains so much.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

evilweasel posted:

The ACA was absolutely designed to be as hard as possible to undo but it is not conservative and never has been. It took the mandate, the thing borrowed from the heritage foundation, but added far, far more to it. There has never been a real conservative health care plan, merely bullshit to suggest there was one while opposing reform.

It is hard to repeal in large part because it is far far better than the left has given it credit for.

Let me warn you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

There Bias Two posted:

We should be receiving publicly released, annual physical exam reports on the President.

Actually, I disagree on this. Partly for security reasons and partly due to things like Roosevelt's polio. But clearly we need a better system than what we have now.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
That newest otherworldly interview with the NYT is more than baffling than the last few. I wondered why he decided to do this, but I genuinely think he felt frustrated and lonely that the health care thing didn't result in the level of approval and validation he needs. He needed Maggie to show up and nod deferential at him and say yes to him and soothe him with her non confrontational manner. O kept calling him wrong too often, because I kept hunting through his shithouse behavior for plans and strategy. But this isn't planned, he's acting on need and desire and pathology.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Glazier posted:

Money is speech and cannot be regulated. Unless you refuse to spend it the right way, in which case go to prison.

Money is speech and not supporting Zionism is hate speech.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
it's 830 and Jeff sessions has not resigned

this man has sacrificed his self respect at the alter of jailing people of color for crimes of poverty

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Randbrick posted:

That newest otherworldly interview with the NYT is more than baffling than the last few. I wondered why he decided to do this, but I genuinely think he felt frustrated and lonely that the health care thing didn't result in the level of approval and validation he needs. He needed Maggie to show up and nod deferential at him and say yes to him and soothe him with her non confrontational manner. O kept calling him wrong too often, because I kept hunting through his shithouse behavior for plans and strategy. But this isn't planned, he's acting on need and desire and pathology.

Yup. He's just a ball of firing neurons. And Hillary still managed to lose to him, goddammit

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Randbrick posted:

As written, the aca did not make this optional. The act expanded medicaid eligibility generally with a large federal copay, starting at like 90%, but tapering down over time.

One of the legal attacks on the aca which made its way to the Supreme Court resulted in a 5 4 split where the Roberts ignored prior precedent and made it possible for states to reject the money, keep in their state the old narrower eligibility criteria, and say no to the money on behalf of their constituents.

People at that time were suguesting that no state would cynically turn down that money after their politburo judges cynically allowed them to do so.

That part was actually 7-2 IIRC

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Actually, I disagree on this. Partly for security reasons and partly due to things like Roosevelt's polio. But clearly we need a better system than what we have now.

I'd be happy with just a disclosure of yes/no on certain details. I get not knowing his entire medical history but it is in the national interest to know if his BMI/BP/etc are all within safe margins or not. Likewise, I don't need the exact results of a drug screen or MRI/whatever but just knowing they were done and came back good wouldn't hurt.

Not being in any way versed in HIPAA or the medical field I'm sure even that is stepping too far in places. I just wouldn't mind knowing our leader isn't high or about to appoint a squirrel to the Cabinet in a bout of senility.

A counterpoint worthy of discussion would be Reagan vs. Roosevelt. Alzheimer's vs Polio as a valid disclosure and so on.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/samthielman/status/887987198146097152

https://twitter.com/JessicaValenti/status/887997477680533504

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Retro42 posted:

I'd be happy with just a disclosure of yes/no on certain details. I get not knowing his entire medical history but it is in the national interest to know if his BMI/BP/etc are all within safe margins or not. Likewise, I don't need the exact results of a drug screen or MRI/whatever but just knowing they were done and came back good wouldn't hurt.

Not being in any way versed in HIPAA or the medical field I'm sure even that is stepping too far in places. I just wouldn't mind knowing our leader isn't high or about to appoint a squirrel to the Cabinet in a bout of senility.

A counterpoint worthy of discussion would be Reagan vs. Roosevelt. Alzheimer's vs Polio as a valid disclosure and so on.

Yah, I agree it's a valid concern, I just can't come up with a good rule that wouldn't potentially cause security issues or unfair political blowback.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

skylined! posted:

it's 830 and Jeff sessions has not resigned

this man has sacrificed his self respect at the alter of jailing people of color for crimes of poverty

He never had any self respect.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I stole this from the GIP thread:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/887882493948448773

It's from his NYT interview. His rambling sounds exactly like my Dad sounded right before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's scary how similar it is.

You know, normally, this would be a major gaffe.

But since we are currently fully emerged in the river of slime from Ghostbusters 2, the most that will happen will be an exhausted shrug.

And the ghost trains will still continue to run on time.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/888014944947580928

What is he referring to here?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steven Tyler touring with Aerosmith

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Probably calling Australia and smoothing things over when Trump was being a poo poo to them.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Truly, McCain has been living a rockstar's life.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Antti posted:

Edit: In retrospect, having an informal constitutional order where the legality of the executive's actions is monitored and enforced by a DOJ which is supposed to be independent yet under the direct control of the executive was a stupid idea that couldn't survive long-term, and was basically a band-aid that was put in place to avoid the painful process of constitutional reform.

How else would that be done? Would people vote for the doj head?

evilweasel posted:

The bill doesn't work without the mandate, imo. Removing the mandate would have destroyed the bill, Medicare funding be damned.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yes.

Shinzo Abe is a class A shithead though, don't forget that.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

EugeneJ posted:

Steven Tyler touring with Aerosmith

holy poo poo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fulchrum posted:

Can someone get a definite answer on this, because we've been going back and forth on it all day. There are two camps - one saying the replacement would finish McCains term, one saying they would have an election in 2018. Which is right?

I genuinely forgot that McCain wasn't up in 2018. :shepface:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
McCain lived a long life of privilege, wealth and power and he often choose to make the world a worse place. gently caress him.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

If Roberta McCain outlives her 80yr old son we are truly in the worst possible timeline. Say what you want about politics, but some poo poo is just not right.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Dick Trauma posted:

McCain lived a long life of privilege, wealth and power and he often choose to make the world a worse place. gently caress him.

Ever thought that maybe him crashing that plane and being tortured is what damaged his brain and made him Republican? Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I genuinely forgot that McCain wasn't up in 2018. :shepface:

And they wanted to primary Flake, which probably has to be called off because I doubt the GOP is going to want to defend two seats in Arizona next year.

• Locked thread