Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

Seriously, the game has this gigantic sphere grid thing and the gem system lets you create so many different cool combos but the game doesn't let you play around with those mechanics because you have to make a whole new character every time you want to properly test a new thing, it's infuriating.

I check back on this game every month in hopes that maybe they'll add a separate "Filthy Casuals" League that would just give you infinite regret points or something but it seems like that'll never happen.

While I don't exactly share your issue since I enjoy rerolling and find it relaxing, rolling a new character in PoE is not exactly the same time commitment that it'd be in, say, an MMO. Once you get the hang of it you can get multiple characters in Merciless/whatever the equivalent fairly quickly and the more you play in the same league the more game-breaking uniques you'll have that make you breeze through the first acts like it's nobody's business.

I understand this is not a solution for your complaint but if you just play the game I swear that after a while this kind of issue fades away. You'll have played through enough builds that you'll have multiple level 70+ characters on standard ready for you to playtest whatever you want because the sphere grid gets reset far more often than you imagine. In a way that's pretty much the filthy casuals league you're asking for. You don't get to the point you want immediately but if you've done Uber Izaro then you probably know the ins and outs of the game enough not to have an issue getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
When exactly does it launch on the 4th? If it launches at midnight NZ time won't that be like 8AM of the 3rd EST?

I just started playing in legacy so I'm not sure how this has worked in the past. I've worked every drat holiday this year so I'M TAKING OFF TO PLAY VIDYA GAMES.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Twist And Pout! posted:

When exactly does it launch on the 4th? If it launches at midnight NZ time won't that be like 8AM of the 3rd EST?

I just started playing in legacy so I'm not sure how this has worked in the past. I've worked every drat holiday this year so I'M TAKING OFF TO PLAY VIDYA GAMES.

Launch is usually afternoon US time. The timer is showing 4PM EST on the 4th.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I backed this game way back when and I feel like I've done the first quest a dozen or so times over the years. I've been playing a mess of D3 and got the itch for some arpgs again. Is now a bad time to (re)start what with the impending patch? Is leagues this game's equivalent to seasons in D3? What do people usually play in?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
If you want to keep your progress I would say now is a bad time to start. With the expansion coming I would suggest rolling a new character then, whether you want to join the new league or play Standard.

Most goons, and people in general just play in the leagues which are similar to seasons, but they always introduce new mechanics so the difference between Standard and the ongoing league is larger than it is between Season and non-Season in D3. Currently there is a two-week race which is where most of us are right now. There are still a few around in the leagues, but since they've been running for so long they are mostly dead and standard is currently completely dead from what I can tell.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Geektox posted:

I backed this game way back when and I feel like I've done the first quest a dozen or so times over the years. I've been playing a mess of D3 and got the itch for some arpgs again. Is now a bad time to (re)start what with the impending patch? Is leagues this game's equivalent to seasons in D3? What do people usually play in?

I'd hop in and do the two week race, you might even win some mtx!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geektox posted:

Now as in "right now, today" would be a bad time if you're looking for progressing a characters for months like in a D3 league. Now as in "this moment in time considering the lifespan of the game" I'd say it's the best time ever given that there's a major expansion upcoming.

With that said if you want you can jump in the current temporary league. It's your last chance to play the classic normal/cruel/merciless difficulty scheme and if you can get to level 40 (I think?) you have the chance to win a free mtx.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/887910063293079554

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Path of Building is really handy when trying to plan things out on your own. The 'show node power' checkbox is basically magic when it comes to figuring out the path you want to take going through the grid. The ability to see exactly how much dps/life each node will add to your build is huge. The average per point is also extremely useful when considering which of two branches is most appropriate.

:aaa:

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
The only thing I've struggled with in Path of Building (and to be honest not put much effort into looking for a solution) when I want to plan my own build from scratch is the gear side of things, what do you guys do, just throw in some staple uniques and create some rares? The time it would take to "create" average rares for the build just puts me off, so I dont really make full use of the power of it until I have gear already and can just import it.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Stangg posted:

The only thing I've struggled with in Path of Building (and to be honest not put much effort into looking for a solution) when I want to plan my own build from scratch is the gear side of things, what do you guys do, just throw in some staple uniques and create some rares? The time it would take to "create" average rares for the build just puts me off, so I dont really make full use of the power of it until I have gear already and can just import it.

you can either hover over an item in-game and press ctrl-c (maybe this is an AHK function?) and paste directly into PoB's "Create Custom" field, or just copy/paste something off poetrade, which should work with just a little bit of cleaning up

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is a pretty handy script that gives you a copy button on poe.trade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/66yxs9/tool_copy_items_from_poetrade_into_path_of/

You can then paste the item into your path of building setup. Makes it easy to see if an item is a real upgrade for you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Most of the time I don't even bother with rares. I plug in my build enabling uniques and work it out from there. If the numbers are good with mostly a skeleton, they'll be great with real gear.

:effort:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So is there a way to make loot drops player-specific when playing with groups?

I played with a group recently and this one dude was running around collecting all the orbs, items, etc. that dropped while everyone else was busy killing stuff. It was pretty annoying.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

So is there a way to make loot drops player-specific when playing with groups?

I played with a group recently and this one dude was running around collecting all the orbs, items, etc. that dropped while everyone else was busy killing stuff. It was pretty annoying.
Party leader sets loot allocation: Permanent, Short (free loot after a short timer), Free

Default for when you are party leader is set in options somewhere

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The default loot is short allocation, where anything valuable is only grabable by one person for a five seconds, but after that it is up for grabs. You can change it to permanent allocation, which keeps it locked to the person.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Item_allocation

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cool, thanks!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
And if you're joining a public party from the list, the icon on the left tells you what item allocation mode it is. Green = Permanent, Yellow = Short, Red = FFA.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jinnigan posted:

you can either hover over an item in-game and press ctrl-c (maybe this is an AHK function?)

For the record: this is built-in - the AHK item info scripts make use of it by reading the clipboard, but it's the game putting the item info there :)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is there suppose dto be a big annoucement today or something?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Stangg posted:

The time it would take to "create" average rares for the build just puts me off, so I dont really make full use of the power of it until I have gear already and can just import it.

There's already a list of default average rares under the list of the uniques. All the yellow armor pieces you can drag in from below the uniques don't have resistances set, but they have decent life rolls and local defense, or move speed if they're boots.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

queeb posted:

is there suppose dto be a big annoucement today or something?

Yes, it will most likely be the reveal of the next temp league, Harbinger league.

They are also going to try and push the MTX update to live servers again today. I really hope it works this time.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Whats a reasonable amount of DPS in PoB? I was fooling around with the build I want to do next league (varanastra dual cleave gladiator) and I was between 90-100k but that number doesn't really mean anything to me especially when I'm seeing numbers like 750k thrown around.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Wezlar posted:

Whats a reasonable amount of DPS in PoB? I was fooling around with the build I want to do next league (varanastra dual cleave gladiator) and I was between 90-100k but that number doesn't really mean anything to me especially when I'm seeing numbers like 750k thrown around.

Your build with 90k DPS & whirling blades will probably clear faster (maps, probably not bosses) than the RF totem build will

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sunder seems like it is going to be the popular melee starter. I took one of the guides somebody made and popped it into path of building. Can pull 90k with just the initial impact damage on a 5L, and the character is nearly naked. Doesn't even count the shockwaves or bleedsplosions. Also 217% life from the tree alone.
https://pastebin.com/vgTDQW3R

Threw soul taker on him, just to have a baseline axe to compare against. Doesn't actually need to be soul taker.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 20, 2017

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I really wish they would just add the option for instanced loot. I know it's seen as casual or whatever but it makes the experience more pleasant for everyone. Maybe this says more about the people I play with but this game is so full of superstitious gambling addicts that seeing other people's loot is just kind of vicious.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
So new league on the 4th?

nerox
May 20, 2001
The 4th pretty much fits my exact Diablo 3 new season burn out time. :getin:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I've been playing this cool indie game, diablo 2.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

funmanguy posted:

I've been playing this cool indie game, diablo 2.

did you get Eastern Sun single player running?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

funmanguy posted:

Yeah, whenever there's a new expansion + league they happen simultaneously. All the servers will go down for about 2-3 hours, shortly after they go down the patch goes up (for both standalone and steam clients) so everyone can download it, the new league starts when the servers go back up. There's usually a huge queue to log in but it goes down pretty fast once they open the floodgates. Edit: by "pretty fast," I mean "5 minutes tops."

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 21, 2017

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

funmanguy posted:

plan. ure. fucken. builds.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

did you get Eastern Sun single player running?

I got it working, but after playing through act 1, I felt like there was a lot more to the mod that I wasn't getting. Some of the websites that are resources to ES are down, and no one really plays it. So I went back to normal LoD with PlugY.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah, whenever there's a new expansion + league they happen simultaneously. All the servers will go down for about 2-3 hours, shortly after they go down the patch goes up (for both standalone and steam clients) so everyone can download it, the new league starts when the servers go back up. There's usually a huge queue to log in but it goes down pretty fast once they open the floodgates.

I know this is good information to new players, I just want to point out that you are responding to funman, who is a tireless golem created expressly for the purpose of playing PoE

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ixjuvin posted:

I know this is good information to new players, I just want to point out that you are responding to funman, who is a tireless golem created expressly for the purpose of playing PoE

:coffeepal:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah, whenever there's a new expansion + league they happen simultaneously. All the servers will go down for about 2-3 hours, shortly after they go down the patch goes up (for both standalone and steam clients) so everyone can download it, the new league starts when the servers go back up. There's usually a huge queue to log in but it goes down pretty fast once they open the floodgates.

You mention a queue but fail to state that pretty fast is about 3 or 4 minutes max where most goons are used to online launches taking hours.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Thanks for the help y'all. I'll start once the new patch drops then, though I'm not sure I know enough about levelling in this game or the game in general to pull off something like a race!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

funmanguy posted:

I got it working, but after playing through act 1, I felt like there was a lot more to the mod that I wasn't getting. Some of the websites that are resources to ES are down, and no one really plays it. So I went back to normal LoD with PlugY.

go play median.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Kild posted:

go play median.

I hear path of diablo is fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kild posted:

go play median.

I tried it in between getting 36 challenges and the beta coming out and it didnt really click for me.

e - servers are going down soon, hopefully the mtx patch finally loving works.

• Locked thread