Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

airdrop can use Bluetooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

k that's pretty nifty

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MeruFM posted:

why are phones so popular among those anyways. presumably, they don't go out that much so the portability is moot. and build-your-own computers still offer a lot more variety to satiate tendencies of the insane.

phones, you buy and use them. if it sucks, there's not much you can do outside of modified OSes which are declining in popularity even for android.

Because it's the other device they can do it on besides their computer with sick compiss window manager or "tweaked" windows Vista install for max fps

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it's a superiority thing so they can be smug and lord the fact that they know more about computers than you, a normie, do

turns out that bolstering your lack of self confidence with arcane "knowledge" of poo poo that doesn't matter doesn't carry you as far as you wish it did when it's time to talk about literally anything else

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what cant you do on ios that you can do on android other than play pirated anime waifu games and download phone herpes

idk, my phone has an ir blaster and I probably use it as a smart remote more than a phone

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

what the hell is a smart remote

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's a remote that you have to wake, unlock, open, and look at before changing the volume or something rather than just pressing a button

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use my phone as a remote too bc I don't have a normal one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my tv came with a normal remote and a smart remote

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
smart remotes are cool because you can get one with a base that has ir blasters for you to position near your tv/receiver/whatever, and then your remote can use wifi or bluetooth or whatever so it doesn't need line of sight

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PokeJoe posted:

i use my phone as a remote too bc I don't have a normal one

i used to and then peel remote became so terrible i had to have it shot

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the idea of smart remotes is cool, the actual remotes are for the most part trash

the 2 most important functions of a remote control are switching inputs and controlling volume and the decent harmony has exactly 3 input buttons but it has six dedicated buttons for controlling your ~*smart home*~ and the volume is buried in the middle left

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Endless Mike posted:

it's a remote that you have to wake, unlock, open, and look at before changing the volume or something rather than just pressing a button

you tap the fingerprint sensor once and it launches any app so i made it the remote and it just goes, which is 100x better than any logitech or whoever remote

and i made the first page of my remote a bunch of really big device buttons so like bluray, bookshelf speaker, tv, w/e so it's easy to hit the touch targets and get the actual remote you want and i only have like the 8 most common buttons for each set up along with a big 4way arrow key so again you can actualy hit the touch targets without looking at it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

angry_keebler posted:

idk, my phone has an ir blaster and I probably use it as a smart remote more than a phone

sounds like you watch too much tv and have no friends

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

anthonypants posted:

smart remotes are cool because you can get one with a base that has ir blasters for you to position near your tv/receiver/whatever, and then your remote can use wifi or bluetooth or whatever so it doesn't need line of sight

new tvs and cable boxes and poo poo like that all have bluetooth remotes and thank gently caress

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

poty posted:

new tvs and cable boxes and poo poo like that all have bluetooth remotes and thank gently caress
my 2016 tv definitely doesn't but it also has webos and not samsung or vizio android garbage so i'm pretty sure i made the right decision

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i have a 2016 lg oled tv with webos and it has a bluetooth remote

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I prefer to plug my phone when xfer a lot of big videos, 1080 or 4k or w/e take a long time over WiFi or whatever but are quick on usb3 I.m.x.p.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Chromecast remote is the best btw.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

smythe do you not have the wireless a c with five juggahertz?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

why do u put huge videos on your phone????

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Powaqoatse posted:

why do u put huge videos on your phone????

the telephone camera records them, op, and I edit them on my computer.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

smythe do you not have the wireless a c with five juggahertz?

not sure op. My router is cool and looks like a powerful alien spacecraft so I assume it does, but it seems slower, than, using, the wire.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Smythe posted:

the telephone camera records them, op, and I edit them on my computer.

oh cool

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

the idea of smart remotes is cool, the actual remotes are for the most part trash

the 2 most important functions of a remote control are switching inputs and controlling volume and the decent harmony has exactly 3 input buttons but it has six dedicated buttons for controlling your ~*smart home*~ and the volume is buried in the middle left

on a correctly shaped remote your thumb should fall exactly where the volume key is

it does on my harmony and the volume is right in the middle

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

yah I've got the simpler harmony and the volume is in the right place. also it has six input options since you can have a long press on the buttons too.

best remote.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

poty posted:

i have a 2016 lg oled tv with webos and it has a bluetooth remote

sony remotes have bluetooth but only use it for voice search, literally everything else is ir

dumb

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

sony remotes have bluetooth but only use it for voice search, literally everything else is ir

dumb

tvs should retain ir sensors for compatibility with poo poo that depends on it

but new tvs should have bluetooth remotes, :agreed:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why does a TV need bluetooth remote. like that's the one thing that's never going to be interacted with from out of line of sight

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

why does a TV need bluetooth remote. like that's the one thing that's never going to be interacted with from out of line of sight

ir sucks rear end

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jenny Agutter posted:

*holds up arm like a nazi salute to get signal over coffee table*

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

yah I've got the simpler harmony and the volume is in the right place. also it has six input options since you can have a long press on the buttons too.

best remote.

This is the correct opinion.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol apple tv is good because i dont have to

The Management posted:

*holds up arm like a nazi salute to get signal over coffee table*

but volume is legacy ir for the tv unless i have my bluetooth headphones on

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

only ever sig out loud

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my tv has a bt remote but my sound bar has a ir remote

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Agile Vector posted:

lol apple tv is good because i dont have to

but volume is legacy ir for the tv unless i have my bluetooth headphones on

lol if you don't have your Apple TV remote controlling the volume over HDMI-CEC

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

thats what i get with a sarnsung tv :negative:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The Management posted:

lol @ using lovely TV speakers. harmony controls the amp just fine thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

your amp doesn't have hdmi cec? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

lol @ using lovely TV speakers. harmony controls the amp just fine thanks.

when I hit a button on my Apple TV remote, it turns on my tv, switches source to it, turns on the receiver, and volume controls are proxied from the atv to the receiver.

• Locked thread