Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That a Senator would get brain cancer and die screwing over his party's president's attempt at signature health Care reform at a critical moment...

History may not repeat itself, but it drat sure rhymes

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Just a little context with McCain. He flew an attack plane from an aircraft carrier which was about as hideously dangerous as it gets. Taking off can kill you, landings can kill you and in between you face much faster enemy fighters all so you can point your airplane straight down to accurately drop bombs on enemy positions. I'm fully convinced that the Navy let him keep flying because nobody else is that insane.

Heh yeah but, chairforce, privilege, Palin, heh glad dying, heh

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Smol posted:

I just want to know that what kind of work does a guy like Manafort actually do to earn a $12M (or whatever the exact sum was) paycheck.
He's a bag man. Let's sat you're the dictator of a country. Any country, but let's pick the Philippines, for funsies. And your name is uh Macros. And you just raided the poo poo out some sweet state utility profits and some pensions. Say to the tune of 10 million in your latest taking.

You got a bunch of cash, but it's stolen. You need to domesticate and clean that cash so you can continue being baller. You'd hire a Manafort to take that cash and buy real estate on the us through an anonymous llc.

Like that time Paul Manafort got caught at lax with 10 million in money stolen out the Filipino treasury in a briefcase, working for Marcos, because that's his loving game.

Maybe if prosecutors hadn't spent the past few decades being lazy cowards who take a cut of money laundered proceeds for their win and instead put these fuckers in jail we wouldn't have so many renowned money launderers running around.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

That a Senator would get brain cancer and die screwing over his party's president's attempt at signature health Care reform at a critical moment...

History may not repeat itself, but it drat sure rhymes

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/888047682828226561

My heart bleeds for them, but fortunately Obamacare covers that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Let's all just agree that of all the things McCain did in his life that showed cowardice, flying a plane and getting tortured in Vietnam was not one of them.

I am still of the opinion that the election broke him. he seemed like a reasonable person until they saddled him with Palin and started making him walk the line.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Let's all just agree that of all the things McCain did in his life that showed cowardice, flying a plane and getting tortured in Vietnam was not one of them.

I am still of the opinion that the election broke him. he seemed like a reasonable person until they saddled him with Palin and started making him walk the line.

He wasn't saddled with her. He picked her. It's going to be in the first graph of his Obit and he deserves it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/888047682828226561

My heart bleeds for them, but fortunately Obamacare covers that.

DeMint just didn't realize that President Obama's middle name was "Wellington". That's why he hid the birth certificate.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How many federal investigations has trump undergone? And has he ever had the kind of firepower pointing at him as he does now with mueller and his team?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cr0y posted:

How many federal investigations has trump undergone? And has he ever had the kind of firepower pointing at him as he does now with mueller and his team?

Nothing like this before, but he did manage to functionally beat a federal housing discrimination investigation back in the 80's, largely by using media intimidation tactics until he could force a settlement.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Randbrick posted:

He's a bag man. Let's sat you're the dictator of a country. Any country, but let's pick the Philippines, for funsies. And your name is uh Macros. And you just raided the poo poo out some sweet state utility profits and some pensions. Say to the tune of 10 million in your latest taking.

You got a bunch of cash, but it's stolen. You need to domesticate and clean that cash so you can continue being baller. You'd hire a Manafort to take that cash and buy real estate on the us through an anonymous llc.

Like that time Paul Manafort got caught at lax with 10 million in money stolen out the Filipino treasury in a briefcase, working for Marcos, because that's his loving game.

Maybe if prosecutors hadn't spent the past few decades being lazy cowards who take a cut of money laundered proceeds for their win and instead put these fuckers in jail we wouldn't have so many renowned money launderers running around.

Just when you think you'd heard every scummy thing about Manafort, you learn he also laundered the Marcos' shoe fund.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
By not resigning, Jeff Sessions is basically daring the President to fire him, with the calculation that he couldn't, that such a move would basically have to be a repeat of the Saturday Night Massacre.

Does Trump have control over the people in his own administration anymore?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think McCain is incredibly honor bound. He's not ruthless. He has a somewhat reasonable morale compass, but also feels he owes his allegiance to his party.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Just a little context with McCain. He flew an attack plane from an aircraft carrier which was about as hideously dangerous as it gets. Taking off can kill you, landings can kill you and in between you face much faster enemy fighters all so you can point your airplane straight down to accurately drop bombs on enemy positions. I'm fully convinced that the Navy let him keep flying because nobody else is that insane.

Imagine risking your life countless times to fight for your country, then selling it out decades later to some orange hate golem in cahoots with your enemy, lol

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Just noticed my spam box has a bunch of "TRUMPCARE IS HERE" junk with links for how to sign up. After a little poking at them it looks like they all go to slightly sketchy looking healthcare plan search sites which have skinned a separate landing page with Trump all over it to make it look like "Trumpcare" is totally a thing and you have to sign up for a plan.

I bet tons of people who don't know better or just blindly trust anything with Trump on it are falling for this.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Democrazy posted:

By not resigning, Jeff Sessions is basically daring the President to fire him, with the calculation that he couldn't, that such a move would basically have to be a repeat of the Saturday Night Massacre.

Between that, and Mueller starting to look into Trump's business transactions, things are shaping up to be more exciting than ever before.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

skylined! posted:

is there anyway to interpret this other than the investigation team taunting trump

Seems more like Trump broadcasting that there's something worthwhile there so they're diligently following up

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CmdrRiker posted:

I think McCain is incredibly honor bound. He's not ruthless. He has a somewhat reasonable morale compass, but also feels he owes his allegiance to his party.

That seems like a fair assessment. If politics were less partisan I wonder if he could be one of the more moderating forces. As it stands now, however, he is just two-faced.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mcmagic posted:

He wasn't saddled with her. He picked her. It's going to be in the first graph of his Obit and he deserves it.

The crazy thing about Palin is that I'm pretty sure she was promoted by Bill Kristol. He's obviously a product of nepotism, but he's far more on the elite end of the GOP than the populist end, to the point that he was anti-Trump during the election, but he foisted that idiot woman on the country. McCain obviously deserves plenty of criticism for picking her, but she turned out to be way worse than anyone expected (which obviously points to terrible vetting). She really was a proto-Trump in a lot of ways though, including total lack of knowledge and disinterest in actually governing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

mcmagic posted:

Yeah. I mean, obviously I don't wish ill health on the man, but between stuntcasting Palin for a role that she was overly out of her depth for and looking the other way while the Tea Party took root, you can draw some pretty heavy correlations between McCain's campaign and the current state of the GOP.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Flip Yr Wig”" post="“474549117”"]
Just when you think you’d heard every scummy thing about Manafort, you learn he also laundered the Marcos’ shoe fund.
[/quote]

It also shows you Manafort knows how this whole ‘international’ thing works. When he failed to register as a foreign agent while working for the Ukraine it was on purpose.

Donny and Donny Jr can claim ignorance. Manafort can not.

Edit: in regards to Palin, that was McCain’s moonshot. He was going to run on Iraq, which was good because he was for the surge that finally turned the tide whereas Obama was against it. Then the economy hit and suddenly no one cared about Iraq. He had to do something to energize the base and, on paper, Palin looked good. The fact she was a loving loon only became apparent after it was too late to change.

Keep in mind, Palin was governor of a state in good financial shape, appealed to women (a GOP weak spot), had a special needs baby instead of an abortion, a son going off to war, and some witty one liners. She also had almost no bad political baggage. All that came later.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 20, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Democrazy posted:

Well Sessions has no control over the Russia stuff so if he's firing someone to try to get their underling to fire Mueller, I don't think Sessions will be in that line.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Saddled?" Haha he picked her, it was part of his "Maverick" style

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Seems more like Trump broadcasting that there's something worthwhile there so they're diligently following up

It's not the investigation that's the taunt, it's letting the investigation leak immediately after Trump talks about it that's taunting.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fart City posted:

Yeah. I mean, obviously I don't wish ill health on the man, but between stuntcasting Palin for a role that she was overly out of her depth for and looking the other way while the Tea Party took root, you can draw some pretty heavy correlations between McCain's campaign and the current state of the GOP.

Yeah, Palin on a national ticket is a direct precursor to Trumpism.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
You can respect McCain's courage in Vietnam and feel bad for him and his family for dealing with such a difficult medical issue, and also, like, not really be that worried about him dying because he's an 80 year old man who has done a lot in life already and many much better people than McCain die every second imo

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's not the investigation that's the taunt, it's letting the investigation leak immediately after Trump talks about it that's taunting.

Maybe they're hoping he'll give up some more leads

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Between that, and Mueller starting to look into Trump's business transactions, things are shaping up to be more exciting than ever before.

And Trump is going to get super reckless trying to shield his business finances. What a wonderful and terrible time to be alive

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mcmagic posted:

Well Sessions has no control over the Russia stuff so if he's firing someone to try to get their underling to fire Mueller, I don't think Sessions will be in that line.

Sessions replacement would not be recused from the Russia investigation and could freely fire Mueller.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

You can respect McCain's courage in Vietnam and feel bad for him and his family for dealing with such a difficult medical issue, and also, like, not really be that worried about him dying because he's an 80 year old man who has done a lot in life already and many much better people than McCain die every second imo

To paraphrase what some said after the baseball diamond shooting, "I'm not happy, but I'm not particularly upset"

HappyHippo posted:

"Saddled?" Haha he picked her, it was part of his "Maverick" style

I always have thought it was a "you must ask her" thing from the party. Maybe I am wrong, but that seems logical given where he was working from.

He doesn't seem the kind of person to play on tokenism

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
This is a great thread and as a lurker I'd like to thank you all. Except for the people that keep talking about McCains military record, each post males Karl Rove stronger

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nobody's saying anyone needs to be crying buckets. It's just the preemptively dancing on people's graves thing some people in this thread like doing that others find offputting. If you believe in an ideology rooted in humanism, turning into a loving ghoul whenever someone you don't like dies isn't putting your best foot forward.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I always have thought it was a "you must ask her" thing from the party. Maybe I am wrong, but that seems logical given where he was working from.

I think it was "as the most moderate republican in ages in a time where the tea party is a dominating force in US politics you have to do SOMETHING to reach out for them or you will get zero votes and lose" rather than any specific person telling him specifically he had to.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

This is a great thread and as a lurker I'd like to thank you all. Except for the people that keep talking about McCains military record, Karl Rove can hear you.

So, roads are these things people drive their cars on and most of the time they're paid for by taxes unless you live in Texas where we just let some Spanish company build all your roads and charge people $4.00 to drive half a mile on them.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

mcmagic posted:

I don't know how to interpret Trump's comments other than an attempt to get Sessions to resign and to get someone in who will keep the investigation in check. Sessions has no control over the Russia stuff, Trump is trying to get someone who he thinks will be able to get control over it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sessions replacement would not be recused from the Russia investigation and could freely fire Mueller.

Sessions' replacement is going to face pretty heavy scrutiny in hearings, even from some in the GOP, if Sessions is fired because he can't tamp out the Russia probe.

Or so the eternal optimist in me has to believe, anyway. Don't crush my dreams!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Vietnam war

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it was "as the most moderate republican in ages in a time where the tea party is a dominating force in US politics you have to do SOMETHING to reach out for them or you will get zero votes and lose" rather than any specific person telling him specifically he had to.

The tea party wasn't a thing until after the election

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

His is going to have a very mixed legacy. I tend to agree that he isn't a good person but he has also lived a very complicated life and did some admirable things. I really don't feel like celebrating his impending death. At least not in the way i would be if his state had a democratic governor.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My former boss died of glioblastoma last August. It's a very hard end to have to face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Nobody's saying anyone needs to be crying buckets. It's just the preemptively dancing on people's graves thing some people in this thread like doing that others find offputting. If you believe in an ideology rooted in humanism, turning into a loving ghoul whenever someone you don't like dies isn't putting your best foot forward.

It is kind of a hard thing, since it's such a base instinct to be joyful in the downfall of an enemy. If it is because of sickness, well...

I do hope that he recovers, seriously. Recovers and lives out the rest of his life with his family, far far away from Washington DC. I don't want him dead, I just want him gone.

• Locked thread